“Wonderful experience in this new hotel!”
Review of Helona Resort

Helona Resort
Ranked #5 of 39 Hotels in Kardamena
Trento, Italy
“Wonderful experience in this new hotel!”
Reviewed 11 October 2011

Wonderful experience in Helona resort. Been there for a conference in beginning of October. Due to end of season we had a very special rate for rooms that made the accommodation even better.
Service: Great service, I liked the fact that we were welcomed in the reception with a very tasteful and warm cookie.
Rooms: Very spacious rooms (for greek standards). Clean, nicely decorated with all appropriate amenities (coffee/tea maker, free bottle of water upon arrival, slippers, etc.) Every room has a pretty large balcony as well.
Pool/Spa: The hotel and rooms are surrounded by small - medium sized pools that give access to almost every room and the feeling of a private pool. The design is very modern and I liked the pool lights at night. Spa is also nice. The sauna is very small though, but the massage service is really great at very reasonable prices.
Breakfast: Great breakfast and food. It was also changed every day, not completely, but enough to give you the feeling that there is something new in the buffet. Very tasteful and always fresh. A big plus for the fresh orange juice you get when seated at the breakfast tables.
Location: Location is an issue if you do not have a car. The hotel is completely isolated, but offers everything you might need for a short relaxing stay (if you stay more than 3 days then probably you might need to rent a car and travel around the island)
Remarks: Not something negative, location can be a minor issue only.

Room Tip: with sea view, no big difference in price. Make sure you visit the spa for a massage.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
3 Thank Mac_Harry

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 September 2011

We stayed here for 10 nights and enjoyed every minute. The hotel itself is lovely, with pools everywhere, to play up the 'helona' or turtle theme.

Some rooms have a private or shared pool; if you can manage the extra €20 or so per night, I'd recommend it. We had pool envy, though the amount of private pools meant that the main pool was rather quiet, so it wasn't an issue.

The rooms are set up so that most have ocean views, ours had a lovely balcony. The bed was comfy, and the sofa and armchair were useful for those days when it was too hot and we were lounging outside. The furnishings and bathroom were all quite stylish and we felt at home.

We were there when the resort was fully booked, yet it didn't seem overly busy, which was pleasant.

The beach is private, with plenty of space, so we never had trouble finding a lounger.

The buffet can be expensive compared to a la carte restaurants elsewhere on the island, but was perfect for days when we didn't bother leaving the resort.

We hired a car, which I'd recommend because it's necessary to get around and explore the island.

Overall, lovely spot!

• Stayed September 2011
2 Thank paroncider
Italy, Texas
Reviewed 23 September 2011

the good things :
1) look new and modern.
2) amazing view
3) alot of shering pools ( xstra money)

and the bed things :
1) food is poor and the same evryday
2) you need to stand in line to eat
3) drinks cost money in dinner
4) the pool towels are on the beach (not close as you will like it to be)
5) no music only silence all day and night.

Room Tip: next to the main pool or you will walk alot
1 Thank kanigga30
Warsaw, Poland
Reviewed 19 September 2011

Me & my husbend spent one week in Doubletree at the end of August and it was excellent stay. The hotel met all our expectations. First, it is new and clean, very nice designed and well equipped. We went there with our little son, and I would say that it is kids friendly but fortunately not typical "family" hotel full of animation teams - that is what we wanted to avoid, because we hate this type of resorts. The hotel is perfectly located on a sandy beach (which is exceptional in Greece), with very nice clear water in sea, the hotel beach is not crowded, and it is a wonderful place to relax. Hotel guests really care about the others privacy.

We stayed in the room with the access to a private pool shared with few other rooms. The pool wasn’t big, but it was great, every day cleaned and well kept !
The food was very good quality, with a variety of choice for breakfast and diners.
I don’t understand negative opinions published buy some travelers. In my opinion, the hotel is really 5star beach resort, designed with very good taste and care to every detail.

I recommend this hotel specially for people who like rather calm and intimate atmosphere. I will definitely go back there in the future.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank KasiaUS
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed 14 September 2011

How should I start.. so much to say. :-)
First, people coming from the US must understand that this hotel is in Europe and European style of travel, dining, lodging are very different than in the US. I don’t want to write a novel here about the differences, but for some reason, convenience and standards are not part of the European life. If someone is looking for a US style resort, with the expected amnesties and employee behaviors, then this person will be disappointed, no matter how beautiful and clean the place is.
To get to the place from the airport; The first time is tricky. I recommend that you take a taxi, and look how you got there. Rent a moped, car, bicycle etc at the hotel and get around with that while you are there. The hotel is too far for walking to the closest town. There is a local bus not far from the hotel and it isn’t too expensive, but if you want convenience, I suggest a car, especially if you want to go over to Kos town where there is a bit more hassle and bustle, and things to do. Kos town from the hotel is about 30-40 minutes driving.
The resort; -- is placed on a large area of land and because of this, getting to and from places within the resort requires walking. Sometimes more, sometimes less. This could be bothersome for some, especially if you are handicapped or just having a hard time walking and you are housed at either end of the resort. The walkways are made out of uneven natural stones, so this could give additional difficulties for walking. I saw a person in wheelchair housed at the top of the hill at the very end of the resort. I felt sorry for them. The resort is made up of many two floors independent units, with each unit housing an avg of 10 guest rooms. The top units have a much nicer view to the ocean than the bottom units. There is a large car parking area, but again, it is fenced from the resort, therefore we had to walk all the way down to the bottom main area and back outside of the fence. If I think of convenience, there would be a small gate with a guest card reader to get to the cars with only a few steps. If still worried about security, have a camera placed there. Never mind.. I forgot again. Convenience is unheard in Europe.
Each unit has its own beautiful large swimming pool that is cleaned/scrubbed daily. The water is at even height with the pool concrete walls, so the water is constantly rolling down on the outside of the pool wall, creating a very nice waterfall effect all around the pool. Also, each pool is lit up all night with changing colors every 3-5 seconds. Having approximately 15 very large pools all over the resort lit up at night creates a very nice visual effect.
Also, there is a larger pool between the sea and the main building with a bar/restaurant.
One thing, I was there 7 days and I saw very few people in any of the pools. It was strange at the beginning, but when I tried to go into one, I found out why. They are crazy cold. This is because of the waterfall effect, the pool is constantly circulating and doesn’t have a chance to warm up, even if the outside air is around constant 90F.
Back to the room; They are very nice. From the bedroom, they all have terrace with four chairs and table and quite private because of the 3-4 feet high wood paneling. The bathroom is large with both bathtub and standing shower unit. It is a bit strange that the bathroom door is a wood sliding door with no handle or lock. Looks very nice and modern, but a bit inconvenient.. oh again.. the darn “convenient” thing.
If you speak Czech , Slovak, German or Greek, you are in luck with the TV in the room. The only two English channels are CNN and BBC. After 7 days, I think I now know the world economy, fighting between nations , the problem with Euro and all other news related issues. You can order pay per view movies, they are $20-22 per movie. Unlike in the US, the G, PG, PG-13, R and X rated are all the same price if that makes you happier.
Then there is Internet. It is around $20 per day. Omg. You get signal, but the wifi is only workable in the main building and on a windless day in the terraces of the rooms. There is also a plug in the wall for wired internet. If you don’t want to pay the $20 per day, about 3 miles from the hotel, in the little town called Kardamian, there is two internet cafés. One is called E-land and the other is Vibe. Get a coffee and enjoy the free wifi there.
Ironing. Forget it unless you brought a steam iron with you. The hotel provides a nice ironing board but lacks of steam iron. They recommend using their service of ironing for a small charge of $5 per shirt. Actual cleaning of shirt is another $5. I swear I tried to iron my shirts with a non-steam iron. It just didn’t work. Steam iron is so much more convenient. That darn issue with that convenience again.
When you leave the room; -- you take your room key from the wall (you have to insert the key into the wall switch at the entry door when you get into your room). Once you remove the key, all light, AC, etc stops. The green movement in Europe and Mexico… Ask for two room keys at the time of check in. One you leave in the wall switch at the door, and one you take. This works fine until the housekeeper comes and you aren’t there. She will take the key from the wall.
Food; I believe the breakfast is included in everyone’s charge, so I recommended it. It is a buffet in the main building. The rest of the day, I just ate much cheaper in the surrounding towns. It isn’t that I never ate lunch or dinner at hotel.
Beach; depending where you are housed, this can be somewhat close or somewhat far. No matter where you are located, you MUST go through the main building, pass the front desk, down the steps or elevator to get to the beach. It is quite a walk.
Once on the beach, the hotel has plenty of beach beds and umbrellas, but the only thing they have for you is more towels. No toys to rent for the big kids in the water, e.g. wave-runner. A short walk on the beach to the next hotel has things for rent, from small boats to sailboats to windsurfs, etc. I’m sure you agree that it would be convenient if I could jump on a wave-runner and go play in the water right at the place where I stay. Just a second. Let me open my thesaurus for the word “convenient”. Ahhh “useful” —
warning: the beach is not the white sand type. These islands are made from volcanos. And volcanos produce dark sand beaches. Water is beautiful, but sand is quite ugly.
Outside of the hotel. I recommend a trip to Bodrum, Turkey, a 45-60 minutes boar ride from Kos town. The whole trip is EU25, ($37), includes a nice bus ride from/to the hotel to/from Kos town and a round ship ride with a guide. The trip can be purchased at the front desk or from any of the small travel agencies in small town next to the hotel. The travel agency provides a guide for the full day, plus a free hour long bus tour to see things in Bodrum. This is free, but the catch is that they stop in a large jewelry store where they will try to sell gold jewelry to you. Actually not a bad thing. The gold is very inexpensive in Turkey compared to any other countries except India and it is very good quality. There is nothing under 14 karats. You will find 14, 18, 22, and 24 karats jewelry.
--- for cloing; I think I will go back there sooner or later because now Delta is co-oping with Olympic air, so getting to the island on a Delta ticket is quite convenient. But I think I will take a steam iron with me.

Room Tip: second (top) floor of most units for the view of the ocean. every room is facing towards the ocean...
7 Thank Endre P
ramhash
Reviewed 11 September 2011

We had a perfect getaway for 4 days. Room was clean although the warning by a previous reviewer that amenities were not replenished proved true for us also. Had to call for more shampoo, etc. Also our TV remote was taken one day, but no problem getting it replaced. On our side of the hotel--the western side--we were not bothered at all by airplanes.

Food was delicious and varied. Meat was not outstanding, but the veggies made up for it. Breakfasts were excellent and waitress very nice and helpful--thanks Leah!

The beach was the BEST! Clean, refreshing, uncrowded. It did not bother us that only one pool is open--the Aegean Sea is far more inviting! We wanted to try the indoor pool and Jacuzzi, but that required a rather expensive spa treatment in order to use the facilities. We had enough exercise walking to Kardamena and swimming, so we did not need the fitness room.

Took boat to Nisyros--volcanic island--well worth a day's excursion. Wear closed shoes because the sudden spurts of HOT volcanic steam can burn. Also took the coach trip to Kos for a day--not worth taking the public buses and there was pick up and drop off at hotel entrance. The trip to Nisyros did NOT have return to hotel! It also did not include the coach ride up to the volcano--that is extra at the island.

This is one place to which we would definitely return.

1 Thank balletlady
Warfield
Reviewed 10 September 2011

I've read lots of negative reviews about this relatively new hotel, and either the hotel has quickly acted on these or the reviews are made up by the competition who are running scared, and so they should be ... this hotel is a wonderful addition to the Hilton family ... and as a Diamond HHonors member I've stayed at a lot (over 150 different Hiltons).

First thing is that we have been well rewarded for being Diamond, with an upgrade to a room with it's own pool. And as I'm writing this the pool boy is here to clean the pool as he is everyday. In fact cleanliness at the hotel is excellent.

The hotel is 4km to Kardamena, which has tourist shops, bars and restaurants, but not much else going for it.

The hotel is very well laid out, a lovely inviting lobby, good restaurants, a spa, gym and plenty of areas to relax and right next to the beach. There's a small shop that sells 6x 1.5 litre water for only €1.70!

Food is good in the main buffet restaurant, particularly breakfast, which is included for everyone, but also the evening buffet is good value. The pool and beach cafes are good for snacks, I recommend the Greek salad which is huge! Haven't tried the A la carte restaurant.

Things to improve ... an airport shuttle would save the €20 (each way) in the taxi, and it could drop and pick up people in Kardamena which is on the way. The gym equipment is new but feels more suited to a home gym. Tea cups are too small, not the usual Hilton breakfast mugs. But as you can see I'm looking for things to say.

Fantastic weather, excellent value, I'm definitely going to be coming back here. But right now I've still got a couple of days to enjoy the sunshine!

• Stayed September 2011
3 Thank LordBofW
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kardamena
Michelangelo Resort and Spa
Lakitira Suites
Lakitira Suites
#13 of 39 in Kardamena
Grecotel Kos Imperial Hotel

Been to Helona Resort? Share your experiences!