I've only written three reviews since 2006, so it takes quite a lot for me to feel the need to write one.
My wife, two-year old son and I have just returned from a seven night stay at the Hilton Doubletree in Kos. We booked half board in a Superior Sea View room through Sovereign Luxury Holidays (who in-turn, use Thomson).
Everything about the trip was absolutely spot on. The staff, the resort, the rooms, the pool and the restaurant. The hotel somehow manages to cater for so many types of visitor - couples, families and groups of friends. Our two-year old had many other children of similar ages to meet and play with, whilst at the same time it was clear that the quality and luxury of the hotel had attracted couples and friends without kids who were just as happy as we were.
The breakfast buffet was great and the dinner buffet was good with ample choice and good quality food, but not always exactly what I would've liked to eat as a veggie. At lunchtime we went to the beachside cafe and ordered food that we ate by the pool.
The main pool is large with a nice bar alongside it. Somehow, for the 700 or so rooms, the pool and the number of loungers were always adequate. Only on one of our seven days did we struggle to find somewhere to sit and that was because we arrived quite late in the morning.
The beach is good, but not amazing. It's private and for hotel guests only and, again, has more than adequate sunbeds and space. It has quite a dirty dark sand rather than the typical colour you might expect, but with the option of such a great pool we rarely found the need to go to the beach.
I can't help but menton Zoi (pronounced Zoe!) - the Hostess in the main restaurant. She's truly great at her job, making everyone feel welcome. A really impressive member of staff and someone I hope the hotel management recognise.
It's rare for us to say this, but both my wife and I would absolutely visit the hotel again. The only drawback is having to leave the island through Kos airport which is, in my reasonably extensive experience, the most disorganised, cramped, under-equipped, painful airport you could experience. But I guess, the few hours there compared to the many days at the hotel made it worthwhile!
Really not sure why this hotel only has four 'stars' in its TripAdvisor rating - it's without doubt a five star experience.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Helona Resort is a beautiful establishment with an impressive architecture. Small buildings scattered in beautiful gardens, elegant domes, cobbled alleys and natural materials such as stone, wood and marble, allow the entire complex to blend harmoniously with the surrounding, peaceful landscape. Large windows and openings offer a fantastic view to the sunny Aegean Sea and lighten up all interior spaces. Twenty-one infinity pools enable water to flow from one to the other, inviting guests to dive into summer happiness. The resort sits on a gentle hill that overlooks the beautiful Helona beach, on the southern coast of Kos island, at a peaceful area called Gourniatis, only 11 km from Kos international airport (KGS) and 4 km off the lively village Kardamena. Kos town is about 35 km away.Helona Resort has a delightful collection of spacious guest rooms, cosy family rooms, luxurious suites and private villas. Many of the rooms enjoy the extra privilege of a shared swimming pool in front of their terrace whilst others have lovely gardens spreading in front of them. Each one of the suites and villas has its own private pool. The resort has two restaurants, three bars, a spa and a conference center. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with LoveHolidays, Booking.com, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, Evoline ltd, 5viajes2012 S.L., HotelsClick, HotelQuickly, Ebookers and Cancelon so you can book your Helona Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Helona Resort (Aka Doubletree By Hilton Resort Kos-Helona) Hotel Kardamena
- Helona Hotel Kardamena
- Helona Resort Kos/Kardamena