Firstly, I'd like to point out that this is a beautifully designed hotel, which we found comfortable and relaxing. We have also found the other guests were very respectful so noise was always minimal. We stayed in a private sharing pool room with a beautiful sea view, and highly recommend it, it's worth paying the extra for it if you can.
However, quality of service varies greatly and I am aware, as the manager appears to say in every review that doesn't just laud everything about the hotel, that there are guests who are 'ultra' happy with every aspect of the hotel. Not all guests, however, share this view.
The staff at reception, definitely the worst in the hotel, are slow, not particularly friendly or helpful. We managed to be the firsts to check in when our group arrived and still the second to last to actually be taken to our room. And this after we had to remind staff at reception that we
were still waiting.
The inevitable waiting for being seated at both breakfast and dinner is rather off-putting. We understand that everyone wants to sit outside when the weather is good, therefore the hotel should have provided for this. I particularly disliked the over-familiarity with which the lady that leads guests to the table talked to us. From constantly shouting, to high-fiving one member of my party when we arrived for dinner, this is not what I perceive as appropriate behaviour in a 5-star hotel. Or any hotel for that matter.
However, our waiter was always extremely kind and helpful. And a special mention to the chefs at both breakfast and dinner who were always friendly and accommodating more than one could ever expect. Plus, they were always smiley and welcoming. A real highlight. As was Housekeeping.
The waitress at the pool bar was some days rather moody, others moderately friendly. Once I was waiting to be served and after a while I called her and she appeared surprised that I wanted to be served, and asked whether I wanted anything in a less than polite way.
The staff at the beach bar were rather friendly but I found offer of food a bit limited and on the unhealthy side. If you order a salad you need to ask they serve with very little dressing otherwise it will be served with a huge dollop of mayo.
If you want to play tennis at the hotel after 7pm, you need to pay £10 for the lighting.... we found this rather strange.
The beach is great and we always found available beds for us. The view over the neighbouring islands is absolutely beautiful. The zeal with which the person who gives out towels at the beach makes sure no one exchanges towels more than once is close to laughable.
Wifi provision is dismal. This is surely something a Hilton hotel should be able to easily sort out.
With a 5* tag comes 5* expectations. This is a beautiful hotel and we did have an amazing time. But quite a lot needs to be done to improve service, and therefore satisfaction. I would have actually given this hotel a 3.5 stars but it's not possible to award half points.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Helona Resort is a beautiful establishment with an impressive architecture. Small buildings scattered in beautiful gardens, elegant domes, cobbled alleys and natural materials such as stone, wood and marble, allow the entire complex to blend harmoniously with the surrounding, peaceful landscape. Large windows and openings offer a fantastic view to the sunny Aegean Sea and lighten up all interior spaces. Twenty-one infinity pools enable water to flow from one to the other, inviting guests to dive into summer happiness. The resort sits on a gentle hill that overlooks the beautiful Helona beach, on the southern coast of Kos island, at a peaceful area called Gourniatis, only 11 km from Kos international airport (KGS) and 4 km off the lively village Kardamena. Kos town is about 35 km away.Helona Resort has a delightful collection of spacious guest rooms, cosy family rooms, luxurious suites and private villas. Many of the rooms enjoy the extra privilege of a shared swimming pool in front of their terrace whilst others have lovely gardens spreading in front of them. Each one of the suites and villas has its own private pool. The resort has two restaurants, three bars, a spa and a conference center. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Agoda, Odigeo, Hotels.com, LoveHolidays, Travel Republic (UK), TripOnline SA, Ebookers, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Helona Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Helona Resort (Aka Doubletree By Hilton Resort Kos-Helona) Hotel Kardamena
- Helona Hotel Kardamena
- Helona Resort Kos/Kardamena