“Holiday 2014”

Ranked #5 of 39 Hotels in Kardamena
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
“Holiday 2014”
Reviewed 13 July 2014

Just got back from are 10 days holiday what a fantastic place staff are amazing all of them they couldn't do enough for us food is good hotel is lovely there is no bad points would recommend this hotel

Room Tip: Sea view higher floors have less ac unit noise
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Graham M
Lakitira-Hotels, Γενικός Διευθυντής at Helona Resort, responded to this review, 19 July 2014
Dear Mr. Graham,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments about your stay at Helona Resort. We are very pleased to read that your stay with us was a pleasant and rewarding experience and we look forward to welcoming you back again.

The Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
West Hartford, Connecticut
Reviewed 29 June 2014

The hotel is located on a beautiful beach with an idyllic view of volcanic islands. Our room was modern, spotless, well appointed and looked out on an infinity pool that we shared with two other rooms. The beach has clean soft white sand, thatched beach umbrellas and fabulous swimming. The front desk staff was courteous and helpful. The cleaning staff was particularly warm and efficient. The restaurants had beautiful views of the water with excellent and plentiful food.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank Far-flung73
Lakitira-Hotels, Γενικός Διευθυντής at Helona Resort, responded to this review, 7 July 2014

Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 June 2014

I had a great stay at this hotel. The reception staff were good and so were the Spa staff - however they failed to show me the suana and the indoor pool - which would have been nice to know of the few rainy days I did have. The food is great here, lots of choice and as other people have siad the waiting staff are very attentive. The beach is lovely, I never used the pools, i much prefer the sea and sand even if it does get everywhere. There is a 'shed' where you can get the beach towels from the life guard.

The resort is vast and you get a lift in a golf buggy to your room which is great, however one quibble i did have was that the chap who took me too my room and showed me around did it so quickly that i found it rather annoying especially after travelling there and being tired - a bit more of a relaxed introduction would have been better.

I would definitely go back here - ideal if you want piece and quiet.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank N V
Lakitira-Hotels, Γενικός Διευθυντής at Helona Resort, responded to this review, 28 June 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write about Helona Resort. We are very pleased that you had an enjoyable stay at our hotel. Thank you as well for your feedback regarding the rapid introduction to your room. We will address the issue with all our team members escorting Guetsts to their room to avoid such issues in the future.

We wish you all the best and we look forward to welcoming you back!

manchester
Reviewed 22 June 2014

Fantastic hotel. My husband and I went to celebrate our silver wedding so we booked deluxe room with pool. The welcome we got after 6 hour delay ( not fault of hotel) was comforting. All staff from Management to cleaners were always very polite and hospitable. Food was fantastic so be careful not to put on the kilo's. Waiters/ waitresses very attentive. Rooms cleaned to a very high standard. Other guests of other nationalities were also very pleasant and sincere. It was a very memorable holiday. Thank you to the Maître d' also to Kelly and her team. A big thank you to the management too. Maria you have picked a great team of people who work well together. The hotels philosophy is " if your happy, they are happy". You will not be disappointed staying at the Helona Resort.
Once again thank you for making our anniversary special.

Room Tip: They are all good but if you are celebrating a special time treat yourself and upgrade to room with...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Caz-y-Bianchi
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback on our hotel. It is particularly warming to receive an evaluation like yours and to know that our efforts to provide superior service and hospitality are represented by all our team members.

We hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to Helona Resort in the near future.

Little Rock
Reviewed 22 June 2014

My husband had a conference here (half days) and we stayed 5 nights. It was very relaxing. Overall, we had a good experience, but there were several things that could be improved.

Pros
1. Located on an amazing beach. I was bummed that we did not have a shared pool room, but after a couple of days realized that I would not have used it anyway - why would you when you can go the beach and listen to the waves, swim, and watch sailboats?
2. Very comfortable bed
3. Large room and large bathroom
4. This hotel had conditioner! Only one out of 5 hotels that we stayed in while we were in Greece that had it.
5. The breakfast, lunch, and dinner buffets had an incredible selection of food with plenty of fresh fruit, vegetables, grilled fish, etc. We really miss it now that we are home.
6. Antonio at the a la carte restaurant is great! Other staff members were also really friendly and helpful. I've seen a number of negative reviews about staff attitudes, but we did not notice any problems. Just the opposite in fact.
7. The wait staff is incredibly attentive. I only had to look up and catch someone's eye to ask for more coffee, or a bottle of water, etc. They were constantly looking around to see if anyone needed their attention.
8. We had a nice patio with furniture - great for drying bathing suits and beach towels.
9. One night we bought a bottle of wine at the bar to bring back to our room - they also gave us a lot of pistachios to go along with it.
10. You have to ask if you need an iron/ironing board, but you get to keep it the whole time you are there.
11. Plenty of closet space
12. Quiet rooms - the resort was full while we were there, but we never heard our neighbors.

Cons
1. There were a couple of days when our toilet paper supply was not replenished. I finally figured out that if you hide the current half roll, they will give you more. Otherwise, you can get some from the housekeeping closet, other restrooms, or call the front desk.
2. Our double bed was actually twin beds pushed together. I know that is fairly common in Europe, but for a resort that bills itself at 5-star with prices to match, it would be nice to have a regular double bed. The beds were made up separately with sheets and comforter tucked in around each individual bed, and I lost the remote down the crack once... not that big of a deal, just an annoyance - especially if you are there with your spouse (use your imagination for that one)
3. There are two showers - one shower stall and one bathtub/shower combination with a half door. I liked the water pressure in the shower/tub combination better, but it got the floor wet in one area every time.
4. We did not spring for internet access in the room. There was an intermittent 3G signal (the signal is actually better on the beach) and another cell phone data signal that I didn't recognize but that worked OK, just slow. We used the free wifi in the lobby to occasionally check e-mail - that signal was pretty good, but sometimes did not work.

If my husband has another meeting at this resort, I'll go in a split second - it was relaxing and we were away from everything. Keep in mind that there is not a lot within walking distance. Kardamena is only 4km away, but the road is very narrow with periodic large buses barreling down it (taxi was 10 euros each way). And there is not a lot to do in Kardamena anyway besides eat and shop for trinkets. I do recommend a trip to the grocery store (Carrefour). We found inexpensive snacks and ouzo to bring back for people. They also had plenty of candy, beer, wine, beach toys, snorkeling equipment, etc.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank COBLittleRock
Dear Guest,

Τhank you for taking the time to share your experience with other travellers from your recent stay at Helona Resort. We are very pleased that you had an enjoyable stay at our hotel and to know that our efforts to provide superior service and hospitality are represented by all our team members.

We have taken a note as well of the issues you raise and we will make every necessary improvements to occur in the future.

Reviewed 16 June 2014

My girlfriend and I have just returned from a weeks holiday here.

To start off I would like to get the bad points out of the way, they are mostly minor but I would like to leave an honest review.

1) When we arrived, we were placed into the wrong room. We had paid for a deluxe room with sea view/shared pool, but upon arriving we soon realised that there was no pool. A quick phone call to the reception resulted in us being moved the next morning to what was apparently an upgraded Superior room complete with pool. Not a great hassle as we arrived so late at night we went straight to sleep - but then again it's hardly the greatest start to a holiday.

2) I wore long shorts most nights to dinner as we ate mostly inside and it can get pretty stuffy. On the 5th night, as we approached the restaurant I can only assume it was the manager that stopped me on the way in and collared me for not wearing trousers to dinner, in front of other guests! The words were something along the lines of 'this time it's ok. but tomorrow please wear trousers'. Only after this I noticed that there is a sign that says there is no dress code for the restaurant but it is SUGGESTED that men wear trousers. The next night, true to my word I wore a pair of chinos to dinner - only to see at least 10 other men wearing shorts. My point is - if you are going to give guests a telling off over thier attire, then please amend to rules to be instructive rather than a SUGGESTION. It was a bit embarrassing to be honest.

3) The little guy with the glasses at reception has a bit of an attitude issue. Someone needs to teach him that a shrug is not an acceptable answer when dealing with customers. That was irritating.

NOW THE GOOD!

The place is fantastic. Seriously.

We were looking for a relaxing, luxurious vacation away from the hustle and bustle and that is exactly what we got.

As an added bonus, the food was excellent and varied greatly from day to day. I didn't dislike anything that I tried. The views are great, most rooms overlook the sea.

The vast majority of the staff are very friendly and helpful, in particular the bell boys Leonidas and I forget the other ones name. Andreas the restaurant waiter was very helpful and polite. He helped us choose a wine to our tastes and spend a little time chatting which was nice. The girl with extremely beautiful long hair, which we aptly named Rapunzel was really helpful and kind. The tall gentleman who checked us in was also really nice. As was the barman in the Ulysses bar.

The rooms were nicely decorated and our shower in particular was great! I cannot stress this enough though - IF you can afford the extra cost, then please do yourself a favour and get a room with a shared pool. If you fancy a lazy day then you have your own two sunbeds outside, by the pool. You never have to leave your room!

Room Tip: If you can afford it, get a room with shared pool! You will not regret it.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank HandsomeGaz
Lakitira-Hotels, Γενικός Διευθυντής at Helona Resort, responded to this review, 17 June 2014

We have taken a note as well of the bad points you raise and we will make every necessary amendments to avoid such disatisfaction in the future.

Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 June 2014

We have just got back from a week at the Helona Resort which has good and bad points.
We arrived at 10.30pm to our 5 star experience to be told by the reception manager that no food was available as the restaurant shut at 10. When questioning the fact we thought they might have put something cold by, he stated we should have let them know by email we would be arriving late and could get something at the a la carte restaurant but would have to pay! What he didn't tell us was that it shut at 11, so by the time we got to our room and out again........it had closed! We ended up in the lobby bar where the staff were much more friendly and took pity on us by giving us endless pistachio nuts!
Our room was immaculate and big, we also had our own shared pool which was amazing and well worth the extra as never had to fight for sun loungers!
The food was excellent with a huge choice and high quality. However, although dinner is served 7-10, if you turn up from 9, the dessert choice is poor and the hot food not so hot. Drink service in the restaurant is also very slow and expensive. Also, there is always a queue for sitting outside as that area is small compared to the inside dining (except for when it rained one evening and then everyone was queuing to sit inside lol)
Location wise, the hotel is at the end of a road so very quiet with a great beach with free sun loungers and beach towels. However, it's a bit too far to walk into Kardamena and the bus service is limited and erratic, especially the connection on to Kos.
The local excursions offered in town are the same as the travel companies own and much cheaper. We did a three island cruise and had a brilliant day for 30 euros each, including lunch compared to 46! Car hire is also cheaper and brought to the hotel and collected, so no hassle.
Back to the hotel and our last day.........when we settled the bill we were told we had to check out at 12 (our transfer was at 7.20pm) but that a room would be available to use the shower and change for 30 minutes........great:) When we tried to get a room, we were told there were none available and we should have booked it (remember that!) When we asked if there was anything at all they could do, the extremely unfriendly and unhelpful reception manager who had spoilt our first night simply said 'no'!!
Although I have given the service at this hotel 2 stars, this is simply for his attitude and does not reflect that of the bar, waiting, cleaning staff who were all extremely friendly, cheerful and helpful. The reception manager should learn from his own staff how to treat his customers.

Room Tip: Rooms with a shared pool are an amazing experience and well worth the extra. We had room 233 which h...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Rolfey3
Lakitira-Hotels, Γενικός Διευθυντής at Helona Resort, responded to this review, 6 June 2014
Dear Guest,

Τhank you for taking the time to post your feedback from your recent stay at Helona Resort in such detail. Please accept my apologies for the inconveniences you describe.

We will address all the points of your dissatisfaction with our hotel team.

I also wish to express our appreciation for the positive comments you have made.

The Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kardamena
Lakitira Suites
Grand Blue Beach Hotel
Grand Blue Beach Hotel
#3 of 39 in Kardamena
Michelangelo Resort and Spa

Been to Helona Resort? Share your experiences!