I loved this hotel.
I'm going to to try tell you the things I wanted to know when I was choosing a holiday here that were harder to find out.
Yes, Helona Resort is the same thing as Doubletree by Hilton Helona there aren't 2 hotels. It may sound obvious but you never know.
No, this hotel is not walking distance from town and it is a very dangerous road at night and not to be recommended. There is a bus service during the day - only 1.60 euros each way - pretty reasonable times but with a strange siesta break in the afternoon and the last bus is near midnight. I even got a bus back from Kos Town one evening at 9pm and got an interconnecting bus to the hotel.
Taxi is 20 euros to the airport and 9 Euros to town.
The hotel has 21 (it says) pools but only 1 for you to use if your room doesn't have a pool. Having said that the large infinity pool by the beach is lovely, clean, great view, near the bar, the 'kids club/pool' is a checkable distance and there are pool showers and very clean toilets.
The a la carte restaurant serves drinks to the pool during the day and is very nice.
The Beach bar is disappointing and feels unfinished. Somehow despite the view it isn't a relaxing space.
The position of the hotel is excellent and as far away from Kardamena as you can get on this road.
One excellent advantage that no-one seemed to mention is that *all* of the other hotels on the same stretch have the hotel separated from their beach by the road so you have to cross it all the time and the road is busy all day. The way the Helona is set out means that once in their grounds you never see the road. (This is even true of the other 5* the Portobello but they seemed to have great beach amenities meaning you wouldn't need to cross the road so much). Also one hotel had a funicular to get you down to the beach (or loads of steps) and other visitors told me that the Aegean resort had steep walks to get up to the rooms (when the cart was busy) meaning you needed a shower. The Hilton had neither of these 'niggles'.
The staff were nothing but friendly to us and the 'Grooms' (or porters) worked really hard. All of our queries were dealt with genially and with lots of 'you're welcome' which somehow didn't seem forced.
The food was of a good quality - mine was never luke warm - and if you are imaginative with your selection you won't get bored in a week (maybe 2 weeks would be a bit boring). The buffet worked so that you could predict the type of choices but not the specifics. i.e. always a 'meat of the chef'; 'fish of the chef'; Salads; Cheeses and cold meats; etc but the actual choice was different everyday. If you choose the same thing everyday you deserve to get bored! My only observation is that there was always vegetarian option but never many hot vegetable side dishes and sometime I wanted that instead of more salad.
I used the spa and the therapsits were lovely and the treatments well delivered. A little higher priced than from your local spa probably.
I don't like anticeptic chain hotels on holiday and I joked with my partner that when you closed the curtain you could be in any Hilton in the world. Actually I liked that of this hotel and outside the room the architecture was sympathetic and interesting enough to give it some character with the many avenues, layers and pools.
It's a credit to this hotel that people only have small niggles, when things are very good you always notice the small things. If this were listed as a 4* hotel everyone would be raving about how good it is.
I'm afraid I feel that people who call this an 'aspiring 5 star' are probably right but are forgetting that they are talking about Greece, and small island Greece at that. Any regular trip advisor visitor will know that 5 star quality varies greatly from country to country and hotel to hotel.
I would go back to this hotel in an instant but I don't want to return to Kos for a while.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Helona Resort is a beautiful establishment with an impressive architecture. Small buildings scattered in beautiful gardens, elegant domes, cobbled alleys and natural materials such as stone, wood and marble, allow the entire complex to blend harmoniously with the surrounding, peaceful landscape. Large windows and openings offer a fantastic view to the sunny Aegean Sea and lighten up all interior spaces. Twenty-one infinity pools enable water to flow from one to the other, inviting guests to dive into summer happiness. The resort sits on a gentle hill that overlooks the beautiful Helona beach, on the southern coast of Kos island, at a peaceful area called Gourniatis, only 11 km from Kos international airport (KGS) and 4 km off the lively village Kardamena. Kos town is about 35 km away.Helona Resort has a delightful collection of spacious guest rooms, cosy family rooms, luxurious suites and private villas. Many of the rooms enjoy the extra privilege of a shared swimming pool in front of their terrace whilst others have lovely gardens spreading in front of them. Each one of the suites and villas has its own private pool. The resort has two restaurants, three bars, a spa and a conference center. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, LoveHolidays, Hotels.com and Odigeo so you can book your Helona Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Helona Resort (Aka Doubletree By Hilton Resort Kos-Helona) Hotel Kardamena
- Helona Hotel Kardamena
- Helona Resort Kos/Kardamena