I stayed at Blue Domes late May with my wife and 2 young children (6 and 4yrs old). This resort is stunning, that's without question. However there were a number of disappointments. I'll attempt to list the good and the bad as constructively as I can.
On arrival (late in the evening) we were greeted by a line of flaming beacons alongside the road which really adds a touch of style. At the marble reception, we were efficiently checked in, then had a quick drink while we waited for our cases to be shuttled (on golf carts) to our room. They took us first, then delivered the cases. Only one case arrived at first, but they were very quick to go and get the other three with an apology.
Our room 371 1st floor: stunning. Spacious. Immaculate. Well equipped. Luxurious. Feather pillows. Crisp linen. Flexibility (2 bedrooms with partition). 5 beds. 2 balconies, one of which was huge. 2 huge blue domes. Great sea views. 2 showers. Bath. Separate wc. Well stocked mini bar (with water, pop and beer daily). Downsides of our room: aircon is awful. It runs on a cold water system from the main building. By the time the cold water reaches room 371, it's not cold, thus the aircon is very poor. Rooms 100's, 200's and 300's are cooled this way and are meant to be more eco friendly. All higher numbered rooms have standard efficient air con units that we're all used to. Also the tv channels are not in English. We ended up letting our kids watch a bit of Scooby Doo in German, not all bad obviously, but not ideal.
Restaurants are brilliant. I simply cannot fault them. Choice of the main buffet restaurant at the top of the resort with an unbelievable choice and sharp service, (wood burning pizza oven too, yummy), then 6 themed small eateries by the centre pool bar, or the 4 a la carte restaurants near the beach, though these need to be booked at midnight every night for the next day or you'll miss out. The main suggestion from us would be that the restaurants could do with child size options.
Pools are amazing. They snake artistically through the centre of the resort from the very top to the bottom. They look stunning. However, they're salt water so don't accidentally swallow any or you'll wretch. Also, the mosaic tiles are coming off. Great fun for my son to collect them and make his own mosaic on the side but really shouldn't be happening after only 3 years.
Sunbeds. Lovely luxury wooden beds with thick pads. Nicely spaced out too so you're not on top of the next person. You have you're own space which you'd expect. However, people were putting towels on from midnight right through the night till 8am when all beds were taken. If you can't beat em, join em. Not so much if any issue for us as we spent a lot of time at the kids pool, which have their own Sunbeds, albeit not as nice. There's also plenty of Sunbeds down on the beach too, with a shingle beach it's a very pleasant overflow when everywhere else is full up.
Towel hire. I heard it was a €10 each deposit and you got this back when you returned them. This is now €20 which meant that I was left with €80 the day we checked out to go home. We travel a lot so no sweat for us, but bear it in mind if it would be an issue for you. You can change the towels as often as you like though.
Kids club aka Mitsis Wonderland is the best kids club I've ever encountered. It also has the only freshwater pool so it's very attractive for the little ones. It's the first holiday we've had where we had both kids in for 2 hours. Sheer bliss for us to kick back and relax, and the kids love it. Oh and you should wander up to the neighbouring Mitsis hotel where you can use the water slides for free. Great fun.
Bars. All restaurants you're served drinks in glasses to your tables. Very civilised and just as you would expect. The pool bar however is very busy, serves drinks in plastic glasses for obvious poolside safety. BUT it is often understaffed. Prepare for a wait and also to fight to be served in the fairest order too. The theatre bar at the top of the resort is small but 2 guys man it pretty well and the queue is only ever small. Plastic glasses up there too.
Evening entertainment is great. The animation team do a fabulous job and the range of costumes is amazing. Our last day showed The Lion King which the kids and adults alike found it captivating.
On our final day, we vacated our room by 11.30 and took our bags to reception while we enjoyed our day by the pool. We had booked a courtesy room at 7pm for 30 mins. When we entered room 103 it was like a bomb had just gone off. Filthy wet towels all over the place, rubbish, old flip flops and smelly sandals discarded, half empty bottles of shampoo and muck and filth everywhere. And no clean towels. I immediately clocked a cleaner, she kindly got me some clean towels and then we got ourselves sorted as best we could. A real sorry disgusting finale to our holiday.
Overall however, we were really impressed with Mitsis Blue Domes Resort and Spa.
Would we go back?...... Probably yes we would, perhaps this time our expectations were just a little too high.
The Miller Family from Yorkshire.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The absolute ultra all-inclusive five-star beach resort in Kos, BLUE DOMES RESORT & SPA, only 7 km away from the traditional village Kardamena, is the quintessence of luxurious holidays. In its 499 rooms, the resort offers numerous choices - from standard guestrooms and bungalows to maisonettes and villas with a private pool. The swimming pools, which are throughout the entire resort, measure a total length of 650m. There are also 10 restaurants, 7 bars, water slides, a playground, interior leisure rooms (a library, a painting room, a music room, puppet theater, a projection room and a relaxation room), an internet corner, tennis courts, a mini soccer court, a conference hall, with a capacity of 500 people and an amphitheater with a capacity of 800 people, a Wellness Spa to relax your body and soul - all together make up the perfect setting for unforgettable holidays. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, LoveHolidays, Ebookers, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, Evoline ltd, Cancelon and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Mitsis Blue Domes Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mitsis Blue Domes Hotel Kardamena
- Mitsis Blue Domes Resort And Spa
- Mitsis Blue Domes Resort & Spa Kos/Kardamena