We found the glowing description of the hotel in the brochure to be a little off the mark & feel it did not warrant the 5*+ rating.So this is my report on our stay in October 2013.
Firstly in my opinion it is unsuitable for elderly people with any walking difficulty, wheelchair users or pushchair users as being built on the side of a mountain a lot of steps have to be climbed during the day.One of the key facts states that it has 499 rooms & 2 lifts.It does not say that the rooms are spread over a vast area in separate blocks & that the lifts only operates between the lower bar area & the restaurant above in the main building.Even though our room was at the top of the site & nearest to the restaurant it entailed a climb of 80 steep steps with no hand rails to the lift & a further 20 steps if the lift was out of order.
From the bottom of the site nearest to the beach meant a climb of approx 180 steps up hill over rough crazy paving,All of the steps & walkways were prone to flooding after rain & became extremely slippery.
The food in the buffet was generally very good with a wide choice that we did not need to choose to use the other a la carte restaurants.The problems occurred during a spell of heavy rain when the outside seating area became unusable & the inside area was too small to cope which resulted in long queues.The dress code (long trousers) was also not adhered to & shorts & flip flops were very evident most evenings.
During our stay the hotel was visited by large groups of holiday reps from Poland & Russia.The staff were so keen to impress them to the detriment of other paying guests.Dinner should have been served up until 9.30 but so that a large section of the restaurant could be prepared with fancy table clothes & selected chairs etc the doors were closed at 8.30.Those that had missed the small notice at the door were refused admission & were offered the choice of calling room service for a pasta which they would have to pay for or walking half way down the site to the small eating places by the central pool bar. In the meanwhile the reps were being wined & dined with musical accompaniment which is something we never had.
The advertised 6 bars service was also very poor with bars being either shut or under staffed most of the time.Drinks in some bars were served in flimsy plastic cups which takes the shine off of a decent Gin & Tonic.At the Beirarea snack bar a drink could only be obtained if you ordered food.Had the beer but left the food.Crazy !!!
The most nauseous thing about the hotel which very few people have reported on is the fact that a sewage plant is situated at the highest point behind the outdoor theatre.Of an evening the smell was driven down the the hill by the ever constant wind & into the hotel area.So sickening on occasions that we were forced to keep the balcony door shut overnight.
The only saving grace for the hotel was the work carried out by the animation team.Busy though out the day on the beach & entertaining the children at the disco of the evening.The Lion King show was particularly good & if the " Freddy Mercury lookalike" leader reads this,Keep up the good work mate & I am sure "I want to break free" would be a hit.Sorry we will not be returning to see it.
Having stayed at this type of resort complex in Egypt,Mexico,Cuba & Turkey & at 4 & 5 * hotels throughout the World I can honestly say that the Blue Domes has a lot of work to do before it can entice me back on a return visit.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Mitsis Blue Domes Exclusive Resort & Spa in Kardamena is a 5* plus hotel opened in 2010 and is nestled at the foot of Mount Dikeos and overlooking a sweeping beach. An incredible range of leisure facilities, superb cuisine and 499 beautifully furnished guest rooms, bungalows, villas, family rooms and maisonettes, combine to make an ideal holiday hideaway for discerning ravelers. ACCOMMODATION: Tasteful and Elegant luxury The Mitsis Blue Domes Exclusive Resort & Spa offers a total of 499 luxurious and tastefully appointed rooms that combine simple elegance and sublime views catering to every wish. Rooms include 114 Double Rooms Sea View, 65 Double Rooms with Individual Pool, 235 Sea View & Pool View Bungalows, 48 Family Rooms, 32 maisonettes, 3 Villas and 2 Suites. All rooms are surrounded by incredible gardens and more than 12 shared pools to relax and enjoy. The room decoration and style uses earthy colours, marble floors, wooden furniture and wooden roofs in most rooms. This resort is designed to surpass the expectations of any customer. RESTAURANTS AND BARS: Tasty treats all day and night The hotel offers numerous gastronomic delights throughout the day (07:00-01:00) at no extra charge. At all bars, a large variety of alcoholic drinks, hors d'oeuvres, snacks, ice cream and soft drinks are offered generously. Also, at the restaurants, beer, wine, ouzo, as well as freshly squized juices and soft drinks are served. Main restaurant All meals in the main restaurant are served in a show cooking buffet style. Also every night, guests have the possibility to taste specialties from Greek and international cuisine, such as Italian, Asian and Mexican in the 4 à la carte restaurants. Furthermore, 6 more restaurants are available during day time offering a variety of meals such as burgers, pita gyro, sushi, traditional Greek delicacies, beer house and a pastry corner. Early breakfast: 04:00 - 07:00 Continental (upon request) Breakfast time: 07:00 - 10:00 American Buffet Late breakfast: 10:00 - 10:30 Continental BuffetBreakfast room service: 07:30 - 10:00 Lunch: 12:30 - 14:30 Complete Buffet Dinner: 18:30 - 21:30 Complete Buffet Late arrivals: 22:30 - 24:00 selection of salads & hot dishes 24:00 - 02:00 selection of salads • Espresso and cappuccino served during breakfast. • Freshly squeezed orange juice during breakfast. • Pita station at the beach offering traditional homemade pies. • Ice cream cart offering cone ice cream around the pools and the beach (Mid June- Mid Sept) Dinner dress code: formal is optional, casual smart is required, shorts, vests or open toe shoes for men are not allowed. Ellinadiko à la carte restaurant Ellinadiko offers our guests the opportunity to taste the Greek food culture. Opening hours: dinner (19:00-21:30) Table reservation: required Italian à la carte restaurant Freshly made Italian favourites! Opening hours: for lunch (12:30-14:30) and dinner (19:00-21:30) Table reservation: required Mexican à la carte restaurant Superb Tex-Mex cuisine! Opening hours: for dinner only (19:00-21:30) Table reservation: required Asian à la carte restaurant Indulge in authentic Asian cuisine! Opening hours: for dinner only (19:00-21:30) Table reservation: required Sushi Opening hours: 12:30 - 20:30 (last order 20:00) Burger Juicy burgers! Opening hours: 12:30 - 20:30 (last order 20:00) Beeraria Opening hours: 12:30 - 20:30 (last order 20:00) Ouzeri Taste the famous Greek “mezes” (tapas) with a glass of ouzo and a large variety of Sea food specialties! Opening hours: 12:30 - 20:30 (last order 20:00) Pitta corner Taste the traditional pitta bread souvlaki and gyros! Opening hours: 12:30 - 20:30 (last order 20:00) Traditional action cooking pitta station Opening hours: 10:30 - 17:30 Pastry corner Sweet pleasures! Opening hours: 10:30 - 01:30 (last order 01:00) Selected tea assortments are uniquely served on glass floor at the indoor pool from 16:00 till 19:00. Beach bar Opening hours: 10:00 - 18:00 (last order 17:30) Island pool bar Opening hours: 10:00 - 01:00 (last order 00:30) Garden pool bar Opening hours: 10:00 - 18:00 (last order 17:30) Lobby bar Opening hours: 10:00 - 23:00 (last order 22:30) Night bar with live music Opening hours: 18:00 - 01:00 (last order 00:30) Theatre bar Opening hours: during the animation shows Also we offer: • Traditional barbeque style “souvlaki” served at the tennis pool bar daily. • Waiter Service around the pools. • Waiter Service at the beach. Drinks In all the restaurants, during meals an unlimited selection of drinks is offered, such as wines, draft beer, soft drinks, water, etc. In the bars an unlimited variety of national and international alcoholic beverages, including ouzo, brandy, cocktails, draft beer, soft drinks, coffee, refreshments and juices are on offer. Lunch baskets & early breakfast • All guests on excursions can exchange their meal with a lunch basket. Please note that orders need to be placed before 20:00 the previous day at the main restaurant. • Continental breakfast is available for early departures between 04:00 and 07:00 only upon request. OTHER F&B SERVICES: always at your service Room service Opening hours: 07:30 - 24:00 (last order 23:30) Guests can order breakfast, lunch or dinner to be delivered in the room from the available menu at an extra charge of €10,00 per tray. Mini bar Wine and a selection of fruit are available upon arrival. Also, the mini bar is refilled daily with beers, soft drinks and bottles of mineral water free of charge. SPORTS & ENTERTAINMENT: moments of spontaneous fun and adventure A variety of facilities for the whole family is available. Built with families in mind, we offer a range of free sports and recreational facilities within the hotel’s grounds. SWIMMING: splash around…. Guests of all ages can choose between the 12 outdoor seawater pools and the beautiful pebble beach. Umbrellas and sun beds are available free of charge. Beach towels are also available, however a refundable deposit of €20,00 per towel is required. JUST FOR KIDS: a complimentary programme for kids No matter how old your children are they are sure to have a great time at the Blue Domes Wonderland, the place where also our mascots, live. The Mini Club keeps children entertained during the day, providing a safe and friendly atmosphere with supervision. Daily games for the young ones from 4 to 7 years old from 10:00 to 17:00 and during the evenings the children’s fun continues with Mini Disco from 20:00 to 21:30. The Maxi Club (8 to 12 years old) and The Junior Club (13 to 15 years old) operating during July and August allow the children to meet and spend time with others of their age and give the parents the opportunity to relax. Children facilities include • Integrated fresh water pool and a playground with water slides. • Library, painting room, music room, puppet show, rest area and movie room, all available for the entertainment of the little ones while the parents relax and rest. • Free carousel every night as well as the games and internet room. • High chairs and baby cots available for infants. FACILITIES & ACTIVITIES free of charge Tennis Court Mini Soccer Court Pedal Boats & canoes Beach Volley Water Polo Table Tennis Billiards Darts Gymnastics, Aerobics Games Room Waterslides Bridge Room Windsurfing (with certificate) Activities/gymnastics shaded deck at the beach FACILITIES & ACTIVITIES at an extra charge Water Skiing Paragliding Rings Banana Boat Jet Ski Horse & Pony Riding (external contractor upon request) Paint Ball games (external contractor upon request) Motor & yacht rental for private cruises ENTERTAINMENT A multilingual animation team provides throughout day and night various activities and games such as musicals, karaoke nights, cabarets, sketches, shows, competition games, demonstrations and many other in order to amuse the guests. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Bookgreece.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, LoveHolidays, Priceline, Ebookers, Hotelopia, Odigeo, Traveltool, S.L.U., TravelUp, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd and Cancelon so you can book your Mitsis Blue Domes Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mitsis Blue Domes Hotel Kardamena
- Mitsis Blue Domes Resort And Spa
- Mitsis Blue Domes Resort & Spa Kos/Kardamena