“June Stay”

Kardamena Holidays Apartments & Studios
Reviewed 7 October 2013

Me and two friends stayed at Kardamena apartments in June 2013.

On arrival, Chris the owner was very cheerful and welcoming however he became a bit grumpy over the week (probably due to the larger louder groups that had also checked in). Hotel was basic but had everything you needed - we were not looking for fancy hotels - just a cheap place to stay and enjoy the rest of Kos.

Kos is lovely and the food is to die for. Make sure you stop at Anna's Restaurant just down the road along the seafront - very friendly owner who does everything to keep his customers happy.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Lauren1808

Reviewed 29 September 2013

KARDAMENA APARTMENTS, this is a cheap and cheerful place to stop, on average we paid £60 each for the week its basic accommodation but very clean, Chris the owner on the other hand CAN NOT do enough for you whilst your there free use of a hair dryer free internet and a good few free drinks it was a pleasure to stay there for a week,
remember if you want the Ritz then don't book here, cheap friendly accommodation.

Room Tip: ask for a balcony
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank wd_wade71
Reviewed 21 July 2013

Stay well clear of this place, booked it with Thomas Cook last year, requested a one room apartment with a sofa bed or similar,what was supplied was a tiny stuffy bedroom with some sort of prehistoric badly stained armchair in the ' lounge '. The Dinosaur owner Christophe's reply to provide what we had paid for was that nothing else was available and if we wanted 'luxury' then to go to a 5 star hotel !, arrived on the Saturday Night and we where well gone by Tuesday Morning at our own expense. Cramped, noisy and poorly equipped. Worked abroad for many years and stayed in some dives but have never been asked to pay extra for toilet rolls !. Thomas Cook's response to my complaint had Ref.No.Z124369Q/44323975/P718293 which would indicate to me they must have a lot of complaints. Be warned

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank kevin l
Reviewed 18 July 2013

We booked this apartment after having seen pictures of the rooms, but left immediately upon arrival to find a different hotel. The rooms bore no resemblance whatsoever to the pictures, which I can only imagine must have been fake. We had booked a two bedroom apartment through travel republic, but were told when we got there that there were not any two bed apartments and that the travel company had been told this. When we were shown to the room, which turned out to have one bedroom with two single beds, our hearts sank - it was absolutely awful, dingy, thoroughly depressing and our first thoughts were that we could not possibly stay there. I know it is cheap, and I have stayed in some basic apartments before, but it honestly looked like a slum.

The manager was rude and dismissive, and demanded to know why we had wanted a two bedroom apartment anyway. After speaking with locals, we found out that many people have been fooled by the photos shown of these apartments, but most are young and can't afford to go and find somewhere else to stay. Thankfully, we could, although in high season it was hard (and expensive) to find somewhere else, but it would have been grim to stay there for even one night. I am not in the habit of trying to destroy small business owners' livelihoods, but to show pictures which could not possibly be of the accommodation is simply a scam, let alone not being given the type of apartment which was booked, ie two bedroom. I will be taking it up with Travel Republic when I get home, but I just wanted to warn people what they might be getting.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank 609Jane
Reviewed 13 July 2013

These apartments are excellent value for money, booked these on line even though we had not stayed there before.
we were really pleased with our three week stay, and Christopher is so helpfull, and can not do enough to help.
As for other people complaining in reviews, about the cleanliness they are talking crap.
This place is absolutely spotless, apartments are cleaned regularly and clean bedding supplied. Nadia the cleaner is a real Gem and keeps the place spotless both inside and out
We would definately stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ian_and_Kim_13
Reviewed 5 July 2013

After reading all of the mixed reviews I was slightly apprehensive at first. 13 of us stayed here between the ages of 17-19 so I think Chris (the owner) was a bit apprehensive too, but we aren't the rowdy sort anyway.
The owner himself was a strange man, some days he'd be cheery and wonderful and other days he'd yell at us because a door slammed with the wind or we went to the glow party and he didn't want the paint to go on the towels. He made it clear from the start that if you are bad you will be gone, which is fair enough but paying 15 euros for a broken bowl is a bit much.
The rooms were pretty spacious considering, some of them have smaller balconies than others but overall they were a good size for a room of 3. My boyfriend and I had a room of three for the two of us because he ran out of 2's which was lucky, but the rest of my friends in 3's had no problems with the size. You get a kettle, a toastie maker, a pretty shoddy hob and a toaster which is great, but you can only plug one in at a time, and they have utensils and cutlery, you just need to buy soap and washing up liquid, and a towel to dry up with. You don't get a floor towel for the bathroom and if you use one of their normal ones for the floor then you have to pay for the damages. There was loads of wardrobe and cupboard space, and the bathrooms are basic, I gave this an average because we got along with it but I can see how people may not like it, for example the toilet seat was broken and you only get air con in the bedroom so whoever is sleeping in the living area will be hot, but for what we paid for it was great.

Immediately next door was a shop which had the basics but there were loads of supermarkets nearby. It was literally a minute away from the beach and 5 minutes away from the main strip but it seemed to be a safe walk. The only problem is all the motorbikes but no one can help that. The main clubs were far out no matter where you stayed but there were loads of signs and it wasn't a difficult walk. If you're not going for a clubbing holiday then I should probably mention there's loadssss of restaurants nearby, it was in a great location because you can't hear all the drunkards but if you want to go somewhere nicer you're able to. In the daytime it's close to shops as well.

Things you might need to know: The safe is 7 euros for the week, aircon was 5 euros a day. You only get one toilet roll, then you have to buy the rest, but you can get them in the supermarket next door. There's no swimming pool but the Cleopatra opposite has one that is public from 10:00 - 18:00. The bins are changed every day, the beds are changed twice a week, and the rooms are tidied every other day. You can't be in the room while the maid does a full clean out, but you can sit on the balcony. You can't bring people back or you get a warning, and lastly, get on the RIGHT side of Chris and you'll be fine. If you're on the bottom floor in rooms 18-19 then you're very unlucky as he lives underneath and it's next to the main desk.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank Maria B
Reviewed 7 March 2013

I really can't understand why there are such conflicting reviews for Kardamena Holiday Apartments. I'm a regular there having stayed 11 times to date. In fact I'm taking friends there in May (2013). I've always found the owner Christopher to be a caring and helpful host. The apartments are the usual Greek, no frills standard but on all my trips I've had a clean bed which has been changed twice a week along with the towels. The toilet bin is changed at least every other day. The rooms are clean and in good repair. I'm not sure how many rooms are equipped with free satellite television but I've always had that available. Additional payments are required for the use of the in room safe and air con but wherever I've stayed in Greece it's always been an extra. Every time I return to Kardamena Apartments I'm made to feel very welcome, in fact I'm treated like one of the family.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo