Lagas Aegean Village
US$26
US$98
US$84
  • Pool
Cleopatra Superior Hotel(Kardamena)(Great Value!)
US$26
US$132
1,048 results
All reviewsminibus servicehalf boardkos townanimation teammen have to wear long trouserspool bargreek nightbreakfast and dinnerplenty of sunbedslovely hotelsaladreception staffsea viewplenty of choicetwo weeksgreat holidaymini market
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 6 June 2014

This is quite an unusual hotel. It is built on the side of a hill. The main part of the hotel is near the sea shore. The rooms are little two storey chalets. We had a downstairs one, and occasionally we could hear them scrape the furniture above. We were disappointed that there were no kettles in the rooms. I asked for one. I was told they were only 4 spare and they were given to young mums who needed them to make up baby food. I showed them some medication which I needed to take, which needed boiling water. I was told to ask at the restaurant or bar if I needed some boiling water. We ended up buying our own kettle. The temperature of the water in the rooms was never about tepid, so we couldn’t use that.
There was a problem with our toilet at one point, which they fixed promptly.
There was a mini-bus to ferry people up and down the hill, or one could walk, but going up and down the hill all the time eventually got a bit tedious.
We were on half board. The meals were buffets. They were very good, and we ate more than se should, putting on weight. We hope to go on holiday self catering next year!
The hotel had good facilities. It had a large, deep, pool, which was never over-crowded. There was an excellent entertainments team. During the day there were organised sports and games, starting with “morning gym” which was yoga-style movement to music. There was also beach volleyball, crazy golf, water polo, water volleyball, table tennis, darts, Zumba etc. In the evening there were activities like pop quizzes, karaoke, and one night they bought in traditional Greek folk artists and dancers, who were very entertaining.
While we were there, we had three days away from the hotel. We had a trip to a neighbouring island, with semi-active volcanic activity, which was most interesting. We also had a trip to Hippocratic Village (Hippocrates came from the isle of Kos). There is also an ancient castle near the resort. It is quite a long walk up, but well worth it, for the magnificent views, and a chance to wander round this medieval castle.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Charles H
Reviewed 3 June 2014

Just back from a lovely weeks stay at this resort with my husband and 2 young children. We chose this specific hotel/apartment resort for lots of reasons including the trip advisor reviews. Our children are aged 5 and 1, in fact my son celebrated his 1st birthday whilst we were there. So the kids club appealed to us as my daughter is now old enough to be able to enjoy this. The setting and the views are amazing. We arrived early hours of the morning and the staff were very accommodating. We had specified at time of booking a room on the lower level however were given a room several levels up (516) so was a bit disappointed, but this was soon forgotten about once we got to our room. Although it was a bit of a walk to and fro, we had a lovely room with a separate bedroom and living area and stunning views. The 24 hour mini bus was a great help too. We heard that the lower rooms were much smaller so it paid off to have the room higher up. Although there is a fridge in the room there are no other facilities for making drinks etc. As we had the baby they kindly loaned us a kettle for the week free of charge to be able to make bottles. I have nothing negative to say about the facilities and resort itself and all was very clean with daily room cleaning and changing of towels etc. my daughter enjoyed the mini disco in the evening for half hour before any evening entertainment started, although this was limited and not daily.
My only criticisms or things to think about if you were thinking of going here is that the evening meal is from 6.45pm for 2 hours generally, I found this just a bit too late for the children and often ended up feeding them a little something in the room before we went.
The other thing I feel should be noted and even possibly put in the brochure or on the Aegean village website is that gentleman MUST wear long trousers in the restaurant in the evening. Luckily we read about this on the reviews before we went so my husband went prepared but this wasn't the case for others. We heard several people moaning at check in when the staff tell you this and they ended up having to buy trousers or the hotel offered to loan them some!!!
As previously mentioned my son celebrated his first birthday whilst we were there and the restaurant staff were very kind in giving us a large cake with happy birthday written on it and a sparkler candle at dinner, something we never asked for but was most appreciative. We always gave our son some bread and odd bits of dinner on his hi-chair tray during dinner whilst we were eating to keep him occupied and content. After 4 lovely days there the restaurant manager came over to us during dinner and another family, and asked if we could refrain from giving our babies food to eat by themselves as they were not happy with the mess and didn't feel it was fair to others in the restaurant!!! Well I was totally amazed and fuming and did not take this kindly. I'm always very concious about mess, to the point that I wiped the tray top down everyday day after use with a Milton wipe and picked up any large bits of food before we left. He tried to say that it took his staff half an hour to clean up after we'd left. Joke! My son was fed in the room before dinner so was only given finger food and bread. I ended up speaking to the hotel manager as did the other family but I'm afraid he too was not understanding and even said we should feed our babies or not give them food whilst we are eating! When I confronted him as to what are they expected to do during dinner he said give them some pencil and paper or toys! My child is 1 he's hardly going to sit quietly and draw or play for the duration of dinner. I tried to explain that in England we encourage our children to start feeding themselves at an early age, maybe just a cultural difference as the Greeks don't appear to do this. Obviously I do still feed my son with a spoon depending on what the food is. When I suggested they leave a dust pan and brush by the table and I'd be happy to sweep any crumbs he said he couldn't do that. The one comment he made that really annoyed me was that there were too many babies in the restaurant, 10 he said. Well as advertised as a family resort I have to say I didn't find that a particularly good comment to have made and I told him so. If they don't want young babies or too many babies then they shouldn't take the bookings.
I tried not to let this ruin the remainder of our stay but it did make us even more self concious at meal times.
The food served is nice and plenty of it however it was much the same on a daily basis with just 1 or 2 main dishes changing, i.e the meat or fish. Also once again for a family resort the choice was the same for young children, which is ok for those whose children are not fussy eaters, thankfully ours aren't.
Overall a fabulous holiday and a nice place to stay, but maybe just points to consider if you have young children!

Room Tip: Higher floors less noise, stunning views.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank Mel L
Reviewed 30 May 2014

Our experience of this hotel did not disappoint in any way. The hotel complex is superb, spotless with extremely helpful and welcoming staff at all times. Rooms were spacious and cleaned to perfection on a daily basis. Fridge/safe were nice touches although German Satellite TV wasn't, a couple of English speaking channels would have been nice. Dining was excellent, very well organised and we found being able to chose your own styles and quantities is a real bonus. We deliberately opted for mid level rooms (300 number range) which meant that we didn't have to use the free mini bus service and could easily walk to and from the main complex.

The hotel is situated a little way out of town (Kardamena) so be prepared to pay a taxi 7 euros each way or a 20 minute walk each way. The local beach isn't brilliant, somewhat stoney and sun beds are charged at 3 euros a day. However, a short walk to the right the beach is sandier and entry into the sea is easier. Hotel entertainment team are enthusiastic and professional but not pushy. Evening program is limited but pitched at an all age mixed European market so feel free to opt in or out.

Tips
1) local buses are efficient and inexpensive 3.20 euros to Kos town each way. The main station is next to a small Carrefour supermarket/taxi rank in a small square. Better to ask a local as we found it hard to locate on day one.
2) we had a great day out at the Lido just outside Mastichari 2 euros on the Kos bus and about 20 mins away from Kardamena. Excellent facilities and worth a day out with what can only be described as extreme water slides. Catch a return bus by the entrance to the large hotel down the road to the left (there's no stop but just flag it down). Check return timetable on outward trip.
3) Three bay cruise from Kardamena was a great day. 20 euros each with food. Departs 10, returns at 17.00 good to see further down the island in a relaxed way and diving off the boat on a bay stop was well worth it.
4) Great meal at Taratsa sea front establishment UK owner very good food and welcome.

Room Tip: Choose a room in the mid range. Mini bus service is great but we prefer to walk rather than feel bad about getting someone to drive us up the road for a few minutes.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Marc C
Reviewed 28 May 2014

We arrived in the middle of the night and were the third stop off on the transfer coach and of the first two 5 star hotels along the coast ours looked so inviting. The other two were like boxes stacked on top of each other with no attractive features and looked sole less with no one to greet them. Ours on the other extreame looked very pretty lit up and the night manager came to greet us and very friendly. A mini bus was waiting to whisk us off to our room which did not disappoint. Very modern, although in the morning found it did look over the car park, but still had a good sea view room (304) which was a nice easy walk down to the restaurant etc and got the early morning sun.

Food excellent and plenty of it. Waiters very efficient. Lunch time was a bit strange as they put menus out on tables, but then you have to go inside and get a tray and pick and choose what you want and then the waiter tries to take the tray from you and put it on the table, so it's neither one thing or another. It would have been better to just choose from menu and the waiters get it for you. They also change the table clothes every time even if they are still spotless.

I agree with an earlier reviewer about the beach which was a bit disappointing as it looked in the photos to be a long sandy beach but unfortunately only clean beach just in front of hotel and rest very grubby with big flat rocks along the tide line, and didnt allow long walks along the shore line.

To add something else, we booked a car for two days from international car hire just inside the village where the prices start at 35€ for one day and 65€ for two for a picanto. They have a desk at reception in hotel but a bit dearer 40and 75€. Lovely island to drive round lots of free parking and quiet roads- lovely. The beaches on north coast especially Marmari beautiful long and sandy with some sand dunes behind, which was what we were really after. Lovely to swim in the sea there too and no rocks .

Back to the hotel, the indoor pool was freezing but the jacuzzi was very good for my husbands bad back. Good showers with towels immaculately clean. I think you have to pay to use gym and tennis. Thank you to all at the hotel for making this a great holiday experience, we could see that they all take a pride in there roles.

Room Tip: Rooms in the 300 range are a good range to get to.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank KentJanet
Reviewed 27 May 2014

This hotel is fantastic. The rooms are spotless, comfortable and modern. The bathroom was great, as was the shower. Depending on how high up in the village your room is, you may need to make use of the hotel free mini bus, which operates 24 hours a day.We stayed in the 500 rooms and walked down to reception/dining room etc but always caught the mini bus back up.Reception staff very helpful and speak very good English.Infact all the staff are friendly and helpful. The restaurant again is lovely and clean, with plenty of staff around. The food especially breakfast, is very good,dinner is good although maybe a little repetitive for some. The only minor gripe about the restaurant is that they whipped our plates away, a bit to quick, like before you had finished your last mouthful of food...saying that, I realise that they have a lot of people to feed in a short space of time. The huge swimming pool is fabulous and so relaxing. The whole pool area is spotless, plenty of sunbeds and umbrellas. There is music playing for most of the day, same songs over and over again, a bit cheesy and irritating. There is such a chilled out vibe throughout the hotel, They would be be better just playing chill out style tunes around the pool. The animation team work hard to get people involved but not many people were interested in that type of thing. There is a small shingley beach in front of the hotel and 2 x sunbeds plus brolly cost 6 euros, its very shingley. To be honest we found the beaches of kardamena very disappointing.The hotel is situated a 15-20 min walk from Kardamena town, along the seafront...which is very poorly lit at night time. Its quite a dangerous walk, the pavements are unfinished with craters in them, pipes and metal sticking out in places. A taxi into town cost 7 euros one way. We hired 2 mopeds via the hotel reception, and one of them was very cronky, they came with 'one size fits all' helmets, which were a complete waste of time. Its worth noting that you only get 3rd party insurance with the mopeds. .To summarise Lagas Aegean village is fantastic but as beaches are important to us, we wouldnt return to Kardamena.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family