“Could not fault it”

Ranked #10 of 39 Hotels in Kardamena
Chester-le-Street, United Kingdom
“Could not fault it”
Reviewed 27 August 2014 via mobile

In a nutshell, immaculate hotel, very helpful, friendly, accommodating staff, food gorgeous, couldn't fault anything, apart from being on the top floor, 241 steps to the ground floor, but will definitely return as the hotel sold itself xx

• Stayed August 2014
1 Thank Angela B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (209)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Barnsley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 August 2014

We stayed at the Aegean first two weeks in August. This was our 3rd visit and it was just fantastic.
The room was very clean and the view from 470 was the best. The staff were very helpful as always.The gardens are well looked after.The food was great. We visited Hippocrates garden this was well worth the trip. Its not far from the airport but the entrance is not very clear but once you get up the bumpy road its well worth it.Kardemena was buzzing this year and its great to see more people visiting Kos.We will be back again as this is the best hotel we have stayed in .....in the whole of Greece. WELL DONE AEGEAN VILLAGE

Room Tip: The higher the room the better the view
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Shirley w
Ramsgate
Reviewed 25 August 2014 via mobile

After reading the reviews on here we was really excited about our holiday..we just got back from 2 weeks, okay food was excellent even though you even had a pay for a glass of water with your dinner, which I felt was a bit poor considering it's meant to be a 4 star! but found the pool bar staff rude, slamming drinking on our table, not friendly, we always tip so it wasn't that. Rooms v basic, small fridge and no facilities to make a cup of tea or own lunch, we was in 619 so right up the top, so quite a trek if you wanted to pop back to your room. Also found hotel v money orientated 70cents for water in mini market but if you wanted it cold 2 euros 50!!! 20 min walk along dark unpaved road to main resort which was quite scary with young child but hospitality there was very welcoming compaired to the hotel.animation team were very good, pool was quite dirty and hotel seem to be falling into disrepair as broken toilet seat, toilet roll holders hanging off wall, sewer smell near pool snack area- not nice. Glad we did a few trips- volcano trip, turkey and Greek night were all excellent, also waterpark up the road which no one tells you about.

• Stayed August 2014
5 Thank Yummymummy92
home
Reviewed 18 August 2014

have just returned from a two wk hol at the aegean i travelled with my daughter and we had a wonderful stay the negatives first while i understand wfi can be erratic at times when everyone is trying to use it at same time the hotel perhaps needs to look at a way of making it a bit more reliable and i realise there is a local bus into the village i do feel the hotel would benefit if they had a shuttle bus a few times a day into the village it would be a lovely plus for guests the resort itself cannot be faulted our room no 214 was lovely we had a partial sea view a nice terrace to sit and relax on and the room itself had everything we needed a showr and full bath flat screen tele with a english channel comfortable beds and a mini fridge the food in the restaurant was very nice although more continental then english if ur look for chips and mashed potato this is not the hotel for you although you can get these at the pool cafe during the day but defineatly not in the main restaurant which is the one where you have ur evening meal there r eggs beans and greek sausage and bacon for brekkie as well as all cearals danish pastries fruit and evening meal has either pork chicken beef or veal at nite as well as fish vegetables pasta etc so something for everyone the soup is fabulous and bread is baked at onsite bakery beautiful lote of desserts icecream etc to finish ur meal off but the best of al was the service from the waiters who could not be faulted always a smile and a greeting as was the barman who served us each evening at the bar always found us a seat a smile and a greeting they work so hard and he found it highly amusing that no matter how hot it was i never wanted ice in my drink a truly wonderful holiday always got a sunbed either at pool or on there private beach across road from hotel they only do half board but that suited us it meant we did not feel we had to stay in resort we could go to village for drinks if we wanted to or even a meal if we wanted a change from hotel restaurant we would certainly recommend this hotel

Room Tip: higher floors have fabulous rooms but if u have a problem with mobility ask for ground floor or room...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank gladysHome
Manchester, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 August 2014

I stayed at this hotel for 10 nights with my partner and 6 year old daughter .My Mum and Dad also stayed at the same time with my younger brother age 15,but only for 7 nights.
I don't have any negatives to state.i would be nit picking if I did.For my personal taste the day time entertainment was a lot quieter than what I'm used too ,but over the 10 days I found this to be a bonus as I felt so relaxed and had a lot of fun in the evenings.The atmosphere around the pool was very laid back but there was still plenty of fun to be had.The evening entertainment was very typical of a hotel (eg bingo,Greek nights) but I found if you actually participate it is very enjoyable.
My Daughter did not attend the kids club as she prefers to be in the pool or at the beach during the day,but she did make lots of friends and attended the mini discos every night and loved it.
My whole family agree that the food at this hotel is great .We stayed half board.This is the first hotel where my daughter has ate the food every night without complaints.The lunch time food is fabulous with so much choice and very reasonably price.Breakfast is also great,plenty of cereal,fruit,breads and also full English breakfast.The drinks and alcoholic beverages were also great (eg real coca cola and international branded alcohol)
Kardamena is a fantastic resort centre with plenty of shops,bars and restaurants ,and only a 15 minute walk away.I am in my late 20s and enjoyed a few nights out ,which were exceptional for the 18-30s .I also found that you never felt pressured to buy in the shops which makes a huge change to destinations such as Tunisia,Morocco and The Caribbean and many more.
The rooms in this hotel are an excellent size and tastefully decorated.The views from rooms 200 upwards have the most stunning views of the sea.I have never had such beautiful views in a hotel.
I could write so much more about this hotel ,but I will end with saying this is only one of two hotels that I would definitely re visit over around 15 hotels.My Mum and Dad will be revisiting next year.
I wish I could have visited for 14 nights,but I am grateful off such a beautiful experience in Greece.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 512 and I loved the views from here, but it is a long way to walk in the heat so w...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Blackkat2013
Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 August 2014

Had a super 2 weeks holiday at the beginning of July. Great hotel with super views from the room.The pool is fab with loads of room for everyone and loads of sun beds so no need to rush down in the morning. The entertainment team were great and if you get involved in the various activities then you can have loads of fun. The evening entertainment was good with the friday greek night the hi-light with a band, dancing and a barbeque.Overall the staff were very helpful and polite, with some better than others. We found Arthur on the rear roof terrace to be the best for the meals, but please tip accordingly, they really appreciate it, and are working extremely hard for us.Food overall was very good, breakfasts were delicious, (please dont expect british bangers or bacon) and evening meals always had a good selection of salads, desserts, and traditional greek favourites, moussaka ,cheese pie, lamb stew etc, and a constantly changing meat ot the day, such as beef, lamb, turkey, pork etc. as well as fish, calamares and prawns on some nights. The walk into Kardamena is more like 25 mins, unless you're power walking, but is a lovely walk after the meal at sunset. Would definitely stay again if we ever returned to Kos. Many thanks to the Lagas family.

Room Tip: The higher rooms have the best views but are a bit of a climb. There is a shuttle bus provided but w...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank jez63
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 August 2014

We stayed at the Aegean Village at the beginning of July this year, for just over a week. It's not the type of place we typically stay, as we usually go on holiday to explore and travel, more than we do to relax. So staying at the Aegean, and coming to Kos, was for us to be a bit of a relaxing retreat, to just take it easy and enjoy the views, instead of frantically visiting everything of cultural importance within a 200 mile radius, like we usually do. I'll try to keep to the main points which, to me, were significant about our stay.

The accommodation: We were delighted when we arrived at our room. The rooms here are like relatively spacious hotel rooms, laid out over the hill, like apartments. Depending on which room you have been allocated, it will be be on the ground level or upstairs. Each room has its own private porch with chairs and table. When we arrived, we took advantage of the free minibus service which operates frequently from the hotel reception, to take us (and our luggage) to our room. Arriving at our room, after what had been (and is for anyone who travels) a relatively long day of travel, we were thoroughly delighted and immediately relaxed! When we travelled to Kos, the temperature was in the 30s (Celsius) and, needless to say, much warmer than we're used to in Scotland! So to arrive in an impeccably clean, modern, well-presented room, with a comfortable bed, TV and good air-con, was a god send. For those who like to keep their facebook updated while they're on holiday, or for those with more legitimate reasons to access the net, wired access to the net is available in the rooms. Would be nice I, suppose, if Wi-Fi was available across the complex but, alas, that's not why we went on holiday! Nevertheless, Wi-Fi is available in the main building, though the connection could, at times, be incredibly slow, depending on the time of day and how many people were using it - it was not uncommon to see everyone in the entire reception area with their faces glued to their phones. (But hey, it is free). Having said that, however, given the obvious huge demand for Wi-Fi, it might be worth the hotel's while investigating how it can provide greater access to this service.
Our only gripe about the room would be the shower... Time it wisely! It would seem that the hot water is heated in an external tank, by the heat of the sun (which is not uncommon to see in hot countries). However, the implication of this is that the shower is only hot, when the water tank has had time to be heated (in the afternoon). That said, I do appreciate that this may just be the case for the vast majority of accommodation in places like Greece where, unlike in countries like mine in Scotland - where it is usually cold and systems like gas central-heating are necessities - it would be costly and inefficient on a hot Greek island, a stone's throw away from Turkey!! But, all in all, a comfy, clean room which we were sad to leave on our last day!!

Eating: At breakfast, there was a good continental selection, including all sorts of fresh bread, cereals and fruit. Similarly, there was a good selection of hot food. In the evening there was a great range of fresh food; a wonderful mixture of locally sourced fresh fruit and veg and a lovely range of desserts to tempt your sweet tooth. Our only disappointment with the evening meal was that there wasn't even free water available... This is the first I've stayed Half-Board but I would have thought that there would at least have been some free water? Instead, you would have to buy a large bottle of water, which of course was almost 2EU more expensive than the very same bottle down in the shop. I suppose the hotel needs to get it's money's worth somehow... Finally, for those of you are non-smokers and enjoy fresh air while eating outside... no luck. Though this hotel, and the rest of Greece, has banned smoking inside all public places, this does not extend to the terrace outside the restaurant (even though it is covered by a roof). So, when the windows and doors are open, smoke could sometimes billow into the restaurant. Similarly, if you do sit outside (as you would, given the lovely weather and beautiful view over the Aegean sea), you can expect to be engulfed by the smoke of at least one inconsiderate smoker who thinks their smoke stays inside their own little bubble. The hotel could resolve this by making the terraced areas immediately outside the restaurant non-smoking, and designating the further-away terraced area as a smoking area (which when we were there didn't have any seating, but which would be very easy to put some tables and chairs)...failing that, it would just be nice to have a non-smoking area outside in the terrace - that surely wouldn't be too difficult to remedy.

Nevertheless, we wouldn't let our personal issue with smoking, or our issue with water at evening meals, detract from the otherwise very positive experience we had in the restaurants.

Entertainment: the entertainment is provided by an externally contracted agency's Animation Team. A very friendly and approachable bunch of guys and girls; they'll come over to you in the evening and have a chat and try to encourage you to join in on the fun. The quality of the entertainment provided in the evening, however, we found to be pretty amateur and improvised - not what you would expect from a 4 star resort. The animation team seems to be lead by one qualified dancer/entertainer and the rest seem to be all on their Gap-year, trying their best to follow what the lead guy was doing. In terms of the actual entertainment, I don't know if perhaps the sense of humour strikes a chord with those from some countries more than others, but goodness me it was pretty awful... There was one night, however, when another external entertainment company was brought in - from memory called Showcase International - a company based in the UK. My goodness they were a breath of fresh air... much more of the quality you would expect in a 4 star resort... all professional dancers with well-rehearsed routines etc. So, on the whole, we have to say that, to us, the quality and variety of entertainment on offer was unfortunately lacking... it just didn't seem to be in-sync with the rest of the resort.

I have made some little points here and there, which we hope are considered constructively and with an open-mind - just things we think could have made our experience even better. However, even having made these little points, we still thoroughly enjoyed our stay here... beautiful views, lovely room, nice pool, helpful staff, good food = happy holidays! We would confidently recommend this hotel to others and would happily stay here again, should we have the pleasure of returning to Kos! =)

Room Tip: You'll get better views over the Aegean on upper-floor rooms.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Team_Inverglesga
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kardamena
Grand Blue Beach Hotel
Sovereign Beach Hotel
#16 of 39 in Kardamena
Nissia Kamares Hotel Apartments
Astir Odysseus Resort & Spa

Been to Lagas Aegean Village? Share your experiences!