“Aegean Village - a lovely relaxing family holiday”

Lagas Aegean Village
Ranked #8 of 39 Hotels in Kardamena
Reviewed 18 August 2010

We have just returned from a lovely relaxing family holiday at this very family friendly resort. This was a good value for money holiday during the school holiday (booked on last minute). The location is great being close to the airport (16 Euros) but you don’t really hear the planes. There was a multinational mix of people. The rooms are exceptionally clean – we stayed in room 628 and had great views out to sea. (you have to take a mini bus up the hill which wasn’t a problem all the drivers were lovely, or its 200 steps - great exercise) The housekeeping was some of the best I have experienced; the team really take pride in their work. Clean towels whenever needed. All of the resort is kept spotless. The pool was perfect for a family; the toilets by the pool were regularly cleaned. Plenty of sun beds – we could pick where we sat. The buffet food was good and a huge variety every day. The animation team worked very hard to keep everyone entertained especially the children. There is a children’s disco every night for 30 minutes which they all seem to love. Free wifi in reception. On site shop reasonable 80cents/water.
Things to Know:
This is not a 5 star hotel (it is advertised in some places as this). It is a nice 4 star hotel. No tea or coffee making facilities in your room. There is no room service, toiletries in the room very poor, no bath robes.
Meal times can be chaotic – sit outside and enjoy the ambience, otherwise given the number of guests it seems like a great big cafeteria inside and very noisy. The waiters – don’t expect a smile and there is a little or no engagement with you.
Take your own beach towels – otherwise they cost 3Euros each to hire/week with a 15Euro deposit per towel . Kids club – just one small room with a tiny telly and few resources. (the animation team are lovely and make the most of what they have)
Lunch time – the pool side cafe is like a motorway service station – self service. The freshly prepared food did look nice. Drink prices varied across the resort. Dinner and Pool side 2Euros for a Coke versus Disco Room 2.30 Euros. Disappointed by this as the disco area was primarily for the children.
The beach – children will not be making lots sand castles...we stayed by the pool where sun beds where free.
The gym was 4Euro’s a day – never saw anyone in there

All in all we had a lovely value for money week away and I came home great tan! and the rooms are like the photos advertised!

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (1,046)

Reviewed 16 August 2010

Very clean hotel with plenty of helpful staff. the food was plentiful and offered decent variety. this hotel is only really for couples and families as its in a quiet location, but never fear as it took me and my girlfriend just over ten minutes to walk to Kardemena on most days. Kardemena has a good nightlife, plenty of shops and a super cocktail bar called Calypso's who kept us wanting more all night. the only trouble with the hotel is that there are plenty of steps on the way up. we had a room in the 600's and we had to walk 200 steps up, but they do have a couple of vans that take you up 24/7 for free. would i go again???? Without doubt!!! the views are stunning and will always be remembered!! and also go to the waterpark - a must!!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 August 2010

A nice hotel: lovely pool and generally good service, with an unfortunate exception. Our room was comfortable and immaculately cleaned daily by a welcoming and friendly person. The food provided in the half board package was acceptable but not wonderdul, We enjoyed the buffet on Greek night, but wondered why the typically Greek food, eg calamari was only served once in 7 nights. The snack bar food was good value for money and fresh and overall much better than the evening buffet. The breakfasts would have been greatly improved by including a greater selection of fresh fruit rather than just oranges and grapefruit. We did detect some surliness in staff and can understand why other reviews have commented on this. Having been told by a member of reception that a minibus service would be available on departure and that we only needed to ring for it at the time, when I did this I was given 'an earful' from the man on night duty and we ended up having to carry down our heavy luggage ourselves. It was apparent that there was infact a minibus in operation.

Reviewed 14 August 2010

I've only recently returned from a holiday to Kos and a 7 night stay at the Aegean Village. Having seen the review from NikkiB83, I felt it necessary to actually 'stick up' for the hotel a bit and actually question some of the things that she has written about it. Plus, wanted to give my own view on what it was like.

The hotel was really well kept, clean and nicely decorated. The rooms have been beautifully renovated. They are set out like a minature village on the hillside and make it look different and special in comparison to a 'standard' hotel. The rooms had excellent air conditioning systems and the bathrooms were fab. They were well cleaned by the cleaners who, if you asked them to come back later, would do so! Each room had clean towels/linen every day. The rooms either have a little patio area or a balcony with tables and chairs, which are great to sit out on. Those people who were at the top of the hill, had access to a regular mini bus service which was going about every 10-15 minutes to drop them off, if needed.

The hotel lobby/dining area/TV Room etc were all really well kept. Generally these areas were quiet during the day and so suitable for sitting and reading a book if you need to get out of the sun.

The pool area is very large. As far as the sunbeds are concerned, again I have to contradict NikkiB83 because there are actually about 250 sunbeds around the pool. I would say about 20-30 people put towels out in the morning, which is frustrating but there were quite a few spare sunbeds around the pool, all day (I suppose it depends on whether people can be bothered to move around and look for them) I realise that if you were a group of 3 or more, then you would probably have to move some of the sunbeds to sit together but otherwise, the pool area was really well catered for. The beach was nice but isn't owned by the hotel and therefore they do not control anything that happens here. You do have to pay for sunbeds but with the pool nearby and it being so clean, it wasn't really necessary to go down to the beach.

The pool bar and restaurant were really nicely kept and in the shade. These were well staffed although the restaurant was self service. Chips were available here, as well as pizzas that you could order and they were made in front of you. It was not, however, only 'pizza and chips, salad and chips, or chips... and chips' They had different 'Greek' choices on the menu every day so you could choose these meals. They had fresh pasta dishes, salad bowls with tuna, feta cheese etc that had been made up. They had rolls with cheese/ham etc. Considering that this was only meant to be a snack bar and the main meal of the day was the dinner, I'm not quite sure what NikkiB83 was getting at.

Dinner was a buffet. There were a selection of salad items/soup/breads for starters. The mains usually consisted of a pasta dish, 3 choices of meat, vegetables, potatoes as well as something like a curry and rice. There was a freshly cooked carvery every day and it changed each day. The meat was beautifully cooked and wasn't at all tough.
As for the times of dinner - yes, it was stated that dinner finished at 9.45. I wonder whether NikkiB83 had read the information booklet, in her room, because it quite clearly said that dinner finished at this time!

I really liked this hotel and it was able to give us a friendly and welcoming stay. It was a relaxing environment and ideal if you are looking for a very leisurely day around the pool and quiet evenings in the bar etc.

Reviewed 14 August 2010

Choosing the Aegean Village Hotel was the best thing I have done this year. Situated 15 minutes walk or 4 minutes in a bus / taxi from Kardamena centre, it is close enough to the nightlife without any of the noisy drawbacks.

The hotel itself is made up of lots of little villa-style blocks, each containing 4-8 rooms. These are very pretty little buildings, built in a typical Greek style. All the rooms face the sea, and all have a little balcony or patio area where you can sit in the evenings. The rooms themselves are well appointed, clean and air conditioned. The bathrooms are very nice, and sheets are changed every other day (towels every day).

Some of the rooms are quite far away from the centre of the hotel complex towards the top of the hill, but a little mini-bus takes guests up and down the hill if necessary. Our room was near the bottom of the hill, so we did not need to use this at all.

Meals are served in a large cafeteria style restaurant - the quality of the food is very good. Plenty of choice from a hot buffet, with lots of fresh salads and breads. Breakfast has a choice of cooked breakfast or continental style. Again, all of a good quality. Drinks at breakfast (juice, tea, coffee) are all included. Drinks at dinner are extra, and you pay cash in the restaurant - I found the drinks prices to be quite reasonable - about 2.50 euros for a beer. There is an outside dining area which is much the best place to eat, as it is less noisy than the main restaurant.

There are two main bar areas, one near the restaurant, and one near the pool. The pool bar is less formal, and has good entertainment each evening, with things like quizzes and Greek dance evenings. The bar is good value, 2.60 euros for a large beer.

The best thing about the whole complex is the pool area, which in my opinion is beautiful. It is a very big swimming pool, but never overcrowded, and there is no shortage of loungers and parasols. You can get one no matter what time of day you turn up. The pool area is kept meticulously clean.

A real bonus in the hotel is free WiFi access in the lobby area, which also functions in the restaurant, main bar and in some parts of the pool area. This is a real bonus for users of internet enabled phones to be able to keep up with news and sport etc from home, and would also be great for travelling business people.

The staff at the hotel work very hard to make your stay a pleasant and comfortable one. The bar staff are excellent, as are the waiters and reception staff, while the cleaners are worth their weight in gold. The entertainment staff work very hard both day and night to provide things for people to do, and this helps to get rid of a lot of the kids from the pool area! What is great about the place is that it is family run, and the owner can often be seen sitting on the terrace overseeing operations, while his son and two daughters are involved in the day to day management of the restaurant and bar areas.

I genuinely do not have a bad word to say about this place. Do not hesitate to book your stay at the Aegean Village. I like to travel broadly, and never go back to the same place twice. For the first time in my life, I am VERY tempted to go straight back to Kos next summer and stay in this hotel again.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 August 2010

This Hotel has got a lot going for it, we stayed for 1 week in August and had a really good time overall.

The hotel itself is hard to fault, all rooms have been recently renovated and are well decorated with flatscreen TVs and very effective air conditioning. The rooms are cleaned and the towels were changed daily.

Meals are also good with plenty of choice and the restaurant staff are very friendly. There was plenty of tables available and mealtimes were never rushed or overcrowded. The reception staff were also very helpful with the exception of one member of staff, who at times seemed quite abrupt and unhelpful.

There are plenty of sunbeds available, we never had any trouble getting some, no matter what time of day we went to the pool. The pool was lovely, never too cold, but just the right temperature for cooling down. There were various activities during the day including Aquagym, darts, waterpolo, volley ball etc and the staff involved with these were very enthusiastic but not pushy like I have experienced in the past.
We did not spend much time at the beach which is situated across the road from the hotel but many of the other guests did. When we did venture over to the beach we were quite concerned about some of the potential dangers there, especially for children.
There were quite a few spikes of metal poking up from the sand which could be easily mistaken for twigs, being a fairly clumsy individual I didn’t spot these hazards but my partner did and luckily I avoided any injury. I would advise anyone to be cautious on the beach it looks fairly safe until you actually walk along it.

The hotel is about a 15 minute walk from Kardemena and is set on a hillside. It resembles a Greek village with lovely views of the sea. We were lucky enough to have a room which was fairly close to the main building but there was a regular mini bus service for the rooms located higher up in the resort.

Overall this hotel is very good value for money, the evening entertainment wasn’t up to much if you are over the age of 12 but we weren’t really interested in this any way we just wanted a relaxing break and that was what we got. We were actually quite pleased that there was no loud banging music late at night.

The one thing that spoiled our holiday which was nothing really about the hotel itself, but we were quite surprised if not disappointed by the attitude towards a young mother cat and her 6 kittens. Now we are not massive animal lovers but there was a cat on the hotel site, a sweet little thing with half a tail missing that had 6 kittens aged about 4 -6 weeks old. A lot of guests in the hotel visited these little kittens and took food & water for them, but they were obviously considered a nuisance by some of the hotel staff. The ice cream man was overheard by another guest saying that he planned “to get rid of them”. When questioned about what he meant he said he would relocate them. However after visiting the kittens on the Tuesday night we returned the next day all 6 kittens were gone and the mother was left searching and calling for her babies. We never did see the kittens again but the mother remained in the same spot where they had been.

We don’t know exactly what happened to the kittens but would like to think that they were “relocated” but we can’t understand why the mother was not also moved and why she continued to search for her kittens? One thing is for sure though these kittens would not survive without their mother. When questioned about this none of the staff could give us an answer and tried to make out that they new nothing about it.

I would however return to this hotel, I am trying not to let my cat incident affect my judgement. It is probably the best hotel that we have ever stayed in for the price that we paid and I would recommend it to others, just beware of the beach area if you have little ones…………………enjoy!!

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 August 2010

I stayed at this hotel for 10 nights and have never written a review before. But after arriving back in London yesterday I felt the need to write my experience down here.

Before I booked the hotel I spent a lot of time on tripadvisor looking at reviews. Most of which were really pleasant to read. The hotel IS a very nice looking hotel - very clean and located far enough away from Kardamena town (about 2km or 25 minute walk) and the underage drinkers and club scene. However I would never recommend this hotel to anyone.

The hotel, as I say, is located approx 2km away from the town centre (a great place during the day but awful at night). I am only 26 and enjoy going out and having a few drinks and late nights, but the town was full of underage shirtless drinkers - it was not a nice place after 10pm. And as the hotel have literally nothing else around it you are then forced to either endure the awful nightlife in the town or stay in the hotel.

Bad points:
- you need to leave a 15 Euro deposit behind reception for a towel. I have never been to a hotel before where you need to pay for the use of a towel
- the pool is nice but with few beds so you are forced to go to the beach and pay for sunbeds (7 Euro a day for 2 beds and an umbrella). The beach is actually really nice but there is no shop to buy drinks or food so you are forced to walk back to the hotel and to the bar or the hotel shop to buy drinks. No beach waiters and a 15minute return journey if you are thirsty or hungry. This got really annoying after a few days.
- there are no 'do no disturb' signs for the rooms so if you happen to sleep later than 9am you get a constant knocking on the doors by housekeeping (i did read a review about this before I booked)
- the hotel is set in the mountain so if you are placed in a room from the 2nd lever upwards (there are 6 levels I think) then you need to wait for a minibus to shuttle you to and from your room. We were lucky that we were placed on the ground level (perhaps as we booked independently and the other rooms are sold off to tour operators at low prices in order to get bulk bookings). I walked up to the top on one day just to see the whole grounds myself and it is not a walk I would want to do if I had been put in one of these rooms. the shuttle runs occassionally and everyday during the whole day there were crowds of guests waiting at reception to be shuttled to their rooms with most of them not being able to get on the bus and having to wait for it to return for the next trip. I can imagine this would be rather annoying if you simply forgot your wallet etc in the room.
- breakfast - this was actually good with a large array of choices. However the staff were so rude and when I was offered coffee and I asked if I could have some milk I was told rather rudely to get it myself from the buffet.
Lunch - we were staying on HB basis and ate at the hotel once for lunch - the choice was pizza and chips, salad and chips, or chips and.... chips.
- dinner - the dinner staff were the rudest I have ever experienced. Dinner finishes at 9:45 and 9:45 means exactly 9:45. On several occassions we were told to leave our table at this time - once when we were still eating and another when we were finishing our water and the water came and started taking the table cloth off and telling us they were closed - while we were still sitting at the table!!
- later check out - our flight wasn't until 10pm on the last day as I asked if it was possible to have a late check out. I was told by the reception staff that I should have asked about this when I had checked in and that it was not possible now \(half way through our stay) so I was forced to leave the room at midday and leave my bag in a room next to reception which was not locked and the doors were wide open for anyone to take my luggage.
- being a keen runner I booked this hotel as it had a gym. Upon arrival I found out that the gym costs 4 Euros a day and had no air conditioning. It also had really old equipment and no instructor there incase anyone needed assistance or help.
- the entertainment staff were really great - one French guy inparticular who was actually the only welcomming person we met at the hotel. But with all the Germans staying at the hotel all the beds by the pool were taking by 7am with their towels and so there was never any room to sit by the pool and then take part in the activities run by the entertainment staff.-
-rooms - our room was nice but was so hot and with the air-con left on each night we never got any sleep.
- the food at dinner was ok - usual buffet food but we resorted to salad and pasta each night FOR 10 NIGHTS as the meat was so tough and barely edible.

I will never return to this hotel purely based on the rudeness of the staff and each time we went to reception to ask for a taxi to be called or for general information we were greated with a sigh and a look of 'what do you want?' - not friendly in the slightest. It really ruined our holiday and it was the first holiday I have been on where I was actually looking forward to returning home to London. There was no atmosphere in the hotel and everybody else looked like they were in getting in the way of the staff too - who clearly just did not want to be there or help. Please don't book this hotel if you want a nice holiday - it is in the middle of nowhere with nothing to do but look at the sour-faced staff all day and night.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with friends
6  Thank NikkiB83
Aegeanvillage, Guest Relations Manager at Lagas Aegean Village, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2010

Dear Sir,
Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor. All reviews and experiences regarding the Aegean Village are more than welcome, but when inaccurate and false comments are made about our property then we feel the need to wrtie a management response to rectify the false information.
Therefore,
1) Kardamena's night life is mainly targetted at younger persons, but there are also respectable restaurants and quiet coktail bars available.
2) Yes, for the beach/pool towels there is a guarantee deposit which is refunded when the towels are returned.
3) Sunbeds around the swimming pool are plentiful and when they are full, more are bought out for our guests upon request. Did you inform reception that you could not find a sunbed?
4) Beach: As all hotels in Greece rent the beach there is a charge for sunbeds. The actual is 6Euro per day for 2 sunbeds and 1 umbrella and not 7Euro as you have stated. There is a small kiosk with drinks in the beach hut, where you not able to find that?
7) As you were staying in a ground level and did not use the shuttle bus service, hence not experience this service how would you be able to have an opinion? At peak times there are 2 shuttle busses that are going up and down constantly. If I am not mistaken you have booked through an operator and not independently. Just for your information there are a lot of guests that come back to our hotel several each year, that actually always request rooms on the much higher levels. Moreover, if again I am not mistaken you had requested another room to your original booking, which was 1 triple room for 3 men, but as you did not like the size of the room for the 3 of you, you requested another room, which we helped you out with eventhough the hotel was fully booked at the time. On this note, the precise cost of this room was explained to you, as was that is was for a single use room and that if you wished to accommodate any outside guests that you would please register them at reception and enquire for any extra costs for this. Eventhough this was explained to you, mainly because the tourism law in Greece states that every single accommodated guest in a hotel must be registered in every hotel's check-in book, mainly for security reasons. I am under the impression that your review has to do with these as you stated "hidden costs", which of course you were not pleased about paying.
8) Breakfast: As it is a buffet, there are jugs of cold milk on the buffet available, otherwise there is cream available on each table in the mornings at breakfast
9) Lunch: The snack bar that is open for lunch always has a larger variety than just pizza and chips as you have stated. There is always a lasagna, or stuffed cooked vegetables, and meat dish, fish dish, caserole, patsa with different sauces, giros, kebabs, salad buffet, tuna salad, aubergine salad, baguettes, cheese, stuffed vine leaves, fruit and deserts.
10) Dinner: Dinner is actually served until 20:45 and not 21:45 as you have stated, and NEVER have guests been interrupted from their dinner or told them that it's over so they must leave their table or the restaurant. Many guests stay in the restaurant well after 21:00 and they are not asked to leave.
11) Check-out: Officially check-out time is 12 noon (in some hotels it is 10:00am), so a hotel can have some time to prepare the room for other guests that are arriving. In the information booklet in your room it states that guests must request a late check-out and upon availability is will be granted to them at an extra cost, (the costs are stated in the information booklet). It is high season and it is very difficult to always grant a late check-out, other guests that did request a late check-out at the beginning of their holiday were granted a late check-out, but unfortunately as you had requested it on your departure day we could not grant it for you. The luggage room is monitored and if guests would like us to keep smaller bags with extra safety we can do so.
12) The gym does have help from the animation team but no not a special instructor.
13) Again, not all sunbeds are taken by 7am, and just for informative purposes the hotel at the time of your stay was 60% English guests, 15% German, 20% Italian, and the remaining 5% other nationalities.
14) Did you maybe report to reception about your room not being cool enough? Each room has it's own air-conditioning unit and within minutes the rooms are cooled.
15) There is a wide variety on our buffet, if it was not to your tastes and liking I am afraid I am unable to do something about this now.
16) Reception staff: It's very odd that you have stated that you have found the reception staff to be sour-faced and rude because the reviews that we are currently getting for the reception staff are excellent.
If you wish to discuss any further issues please do not hesitate to contact us on info@aegeanvillage.com
Thank you once again for your review and comments.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Kardamena
Akti Beach Club Hotel
Nissia Kamares Hotel Apartments
Dimitra Beach Resort Hotel
Dimitra Beach Resort Hotel
#1 of 1 in Agios Fokas

Been to Lagas Aegean Village? Share your experiences!