“Cheap 'hotel', poor quality”

Mammis Beach Studios
Ranked #29 of 39 Hotels in Kardamena
London
“Cheap 'hotel', poor quality”
Reviewed 1 November 2013

My partnerand I stayed here for 10 days in September. Would not come here ever again, even it it was free!
The room was completely dirty. the shower wasn't even cleaned from the previous guests. our beds were really uncomfortable, but we spoke to others in the complex who said their beds were fine. The food was nice, but their continental breakfast is a joke! Only one cup of tea/coffee and juice, and two slices of toast! Nothing else!
The owner, George, is only nice to you and welcoming if you spend your money there. The location is not great, far from the town (25 minute walk) and the 'beach' isn't really a beach. We wanted to change our hotel from the first day!
Sorry George, but you did not make our stay pleasant.

3 Thank Julita D

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
  • Greek first
Peterborough, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 October 2013

that this is George and Renata's livelihood. Basic and a way out of town but there are buses and cabs. The restaurant/bar area has to be where they make their money although not overpriced. Obviously if you do not eat or drink there George will get annoyed. We ate out but also respected them and ate there too, food is delicious. This was our second visit in 3 years and we will return in another 3. You have a choice go to Mammis and get personal attention or the all-inclusive cell blocks up the road. BTW George knew we took our own wine for a drink on the balcony and had no problem, perhaps the reason was that we did not take advantage?

Room Tip: Book upstairs and take advantage of the balcony at sunset.
1 Thank Peter L
HUYTON
Reviewed 15 September 2013

Just arrived home after a week in sunny kos.After reading other reports, I can honestly say there is truth in them all. It is in a nice setting but it is a long way out, about 30 minutes walk. As for the owner George, I can honestly see why his demeanour would intimidate people. On checking in he tried to put us in a room with no balcony or terrace, when I objected he told me that I hadn't paid a lot of money so I should accept it. I didn't accept it. It appears to me that if you spend lots of money there, then he is nice to you, if you don't, then you feel his wrath. He told me that I was eating my own food at the pool, when I wasn't and in fact, just bought crisps off him!!! He then told me that he wasn't my friend cos I wasn't eating my meals there!! I could repeat what other customers said to me, about the things he has put them through, but its down to them to speak. I can only tell you the things that he said to me. Would we go back to kos? without a doubt. Would we go the mammis beach? No way. I forgot to mention, that although the apartments are advertised as having two ring cooking facilities, infact they had none. I wonder where they went?

2 Thank EvertonBaggo
Redruth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 September 2013

We have just returned to the UK from Kos,
We stayed at the Mammis beach resort in kardamena where we will never return to again,
We have been to many of the Greek islands and been to kardamena 3 times but the stay at the mammis beach was the worst by far
We booked the holiday through super escapes travel on the web and then read some of the reviews for the place we were about to go on” trip advisor “ although there were some quite negative reports we thought we would go and enjoy.
When we arrived on kos we got a cab to the apartment and was greeted by George the owner who we had met the year before, and were taken to our room , we asked for the cooker as requested by e-mail to cook on and as we were self-catering this was the first time George got pretty upset and in my view “angry” demanding to know why we wanted a cooking ring as all other guests ate in his restaurant ,we told him we had booked self-catering and would want to cook he told us he has no self-catering and people eat in “my restaurant “ he supplied us with the cooking ring but his attitude and temperament to us from that moment had changed for the worst.
On the third day of our stay my partner was washing some swimwear and went to hang out our clothes when George came across the pool area shouting “miss Vanessa if you don’t close your door while your air conditioning is on I will take it off you “ we had paid 70 euro for the air con and he could not come and speak to us he had to yell and embarrass us across the pool area with all the other guests looking on.
From this day very early into our stay our maid service was stopped as no fresh towels ,sheets cleaning or rubbish removal .
The final straw was the night we came back after a night out I was not well ( being diabetic ) and we were stopped as we got out of the cab by George and was asked in front of a crowded bar area why we “dis-respected his hotel “ as we did not buy his food and alcohol ,
My partner was very upset at the constant Picking and we were after all self- catering.
We then decided to end our stay there ……………
We were helped by a hotel a short cab ride away and enjoyed our final few days after booking into the Everipides village . Many thanks to Nikos and Denise at the Everipides for a fantastic last few days and we will return to them next year
A final review of what is the worst place I have ever stayed
SALT water pool
SALT water shower in the rooms
Not the cleanest I have ever been to
If you are going here think again
If you have not booked yet save your money and book elsewhere
AVOID AT ALL COSTS
Pete & Vanessa Kos 29/8/2013 till 12/9/2013

Room Tip: Go to a different hotel we will return to kos but NEVER HERE AGAIN
4 Thank ness_pete
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 September 2013

just got back from Mammis Beach in Kos and had to say something. For a start, the apartments are the cleanest I have ever stayed in. The pool facing the sea is the most tranquil place to sit. The Bar/restaurant area is top and the quality of the food outstanding. George the owner is rightly proud of his business and the staff he employs are without doubt the friendliest i have ever encountered. yes i have read negative comments about this place but they are ALL unfounded. There is a lovely mix of nationalities staying here and I for one would go back again and again!
Michael Masterson

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank MichaelMasterson
Preston, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 September 2013

Firstly can I say we have been to Greece on several occasions and always stay in 2-3 star accommodation and are used to how Greek hotels are but…

This hotel was truly the most soul destroying hotel we have stayed in. It was in the middle of nowhere, with barren landscape around and an uninviting beach over the road. On arrival we were ‘greeted’ by the owner George and shown to our room which was on the ground floor down some steep steps, first impressions was just that it was another Greek hotel rooms. On further inspection it was a double bed with single sheets overlapping, that weren’t completely clean (they were filthy but had dust marks on), one of the drawers didn’t open on the dressing table and the floor wasn’t that clean. The ‘self-catering’ facilities were truly shocking… a fridge, cutlery and a few plates and cups. A kettle was provided but that was it. We coped for a few days trying to cut bread with a butter knife, then my boyfriend asked for a sharp knife to cut bread and the owner’s wife became moody and insisted we brought it back when we were finished – it was only a steak knife!! The bathroom had a shower curtain (a positive)… the toilet was dirty, with other peoples urine under the seat when my boyfriend lifted it, also urine coloured stains on the cistern. The maid service was the worst, every other day she came and literally just emptied the bins, every 4 days she would change the sheets. She didn’t even bother cleaning the toilet or mopping the floors – disgusting, horrible. I ended up cleaning the bathroom floor with a baby wipe and my boyfriend wiped the toilet – urgh! This hotel only has 21 rooms, so the maid doesn’t exactly have a heavy work load. The curtains are horrendous, so it gets bright sunshine in your room at 6 am, the door is glass too letting the light in. Also there are large gaps around the door so you can hear everything going on outside - including drunk neighbours who sit outside 'talking' at 4am.

The location was horrible – who ever said it’s a 15-20 minute walk must be Usain Bolt… we timed it coming back from the edge of town in the dark (therefore cool) and it was 35 minutes. We do not walk slow and witnessed no one walking faster. Because of this we were forced to hire a quad bike for the holiday as it would be a good 90 min trip to pop in for bread in the morning or anything you want in the room. The breakfast at the hotel is an okay price, however as someone mentioned… other prices are high (if you order tzatziki you have to pay €2 extra to get pitas) and WATCH YOUR BILL. We were definitely over charged by €2 or €3 euros the first day and we witnessed other people be overcharged on their bills. The atmosphere around the pool was poor… hardly anyone there and it felt as though people were running away in the mornings. The pool is salt water – it doesn’t mention this anywhere and for people like me with eczema this means no pool. I went in once and am still suffering from the resulting eczema patches 5 days later. These apartments are WINDY, VERY WINDY – you have to wrestle with your towel to get in on the sunbed then jump on before the next gale force gust. A breeze would’ve been nice, but this was like hurricane Katrina!! Apparently this is normal as the wind blows over the mountains to the sea. This doesn’t create a relaxing atmosphere at all.
The BBQ they do at the hotel is okay – costs €10 and you get unlimited salad, a pork chop and a sausage. The chop was lovely and the salad was good too, there’s also a quiz.

All of this combined caused us to cut our holiday from 11 nights to 7 (at our cost) as we just didn’t want to be there at all. The resort of Kardamena is nice, lots of a nice restaurants; just a shame about this hotel.

Room Tip: The ground floor rooms are horrible, maybe the first floor rooms are better?
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Twidly
Moscow, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 3 September 2013

We spent 10 days there. Some people return every year for more than 5 times! The pool is nice, the beach is really quiet. The room was clean and cosy with some kitchen facilities. I liked the food in the restaurant. My kids recall George, the host, often, and they want to return back!

Room Tip: Any room is good I suppose
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family