Atlantica Porto Bello Royal
Agrelli Hotel Imperial(Kardamena)(Great Value!)
US$56
US$193
US$183
Hotels.com
  • Breakfast included
Cleopatra Superior Hotel(Kardamena)(Great Value!)
US$140
Helona Resort(Kardamena)
Priceline
TripAdvisor
1,972 results
All reviewsasian restaurantroyal suitegelateriaflight pathbeach barmain restaurantice cream parlourevening entertainmentsalt waterkos airportthomson repindoor poolgreek tavernaopen for lunchporto bellobuffet styleat lunchtime
Reviewed 11 June 2014 via mobile

Myself and my husband stayed here for a week at the end of May. After a horrible night flight from Glasgow we were grumpy and tired, but the smiley lady on reception was fast and efficient with check in. A ten minute wait for the cart to take us and our luggage to our room was fine. We had booked a Deluxe room with bathrobes, slippers and tea+coffee making tray. It was worth the extra we paid for it. As it was our anniversary there was a bottle of red wine and a huge fruit basket, which was a lovely touch and very appreciated. There were also sandwiches in the fridge for us which was a nice thought when arriving after the buffet restaurant has closed. If you're still hungry you can go and get midnight snacks after 10:30pm but we never bothered with this.
The room was spacious with a king size bed and a separate single bed. Plenty of storage and a free safe. Large balcony with table and chairs which looks onto Nisyros island...stunning view. We were delighted with our room overall.
I should mention I use a wheelchair and was happy here, yes there are steps, but there are also ramps if you just take two minutes to look for them. I never felt disadvantaged at all and got around easily.
Food was lovely, desserts oh so yummy! We do not drink so cannot comment on the quality of these but I did get lovely mocktails from the pool bar, and good cappuccino too.
Special mention to the Thomson rep Jo who listened to my incessant chatter and spent lots of time arranging seating for our return flight. (Jo, if youre reading this, I'm the Scottish lass with the gammy back. Hope your boyfriend is carrying your bags now! ) She works so hard and I really felt for her when fellow Brits were whinging about the lack of facecloths.....really?! If they're so important to you then take one with you from home! And as for complaining about the temperature of the pools, what do you expect her to do? Boil a kettle and pour it in? Madness. Anyway, Jo was a star and so very helpful. I've never had such good service from a rep.
All staff were smiling and friendly, especially the waitresses who tried to teach me Greek...even though my pronunciations were dreadful. There was a tip jar and we put twenty euros in at the end of the week, but there is no pressure or expectation of tips.
There is a little mini market on the lower floor with the friendliest ladies ever, always smiling and chatty. I bought a great hat for only a few euros. Bargain!
I was happy to pay 5* prices and feel that this hotel deserves it's 5* status.

As an aside, if you decide to visit Nisyros (which is amazing) please be aware that the excursion coach drops you some distance from the harbour and you have to walk to the ferry. If you are able bodied this is fine, but if like me you cannot walk far (I did not take my chair as I thought I could manage on crutches) then this trip is not for you. There is more walking when you arrive in Nisyros to reach the town of Mandraki. Anyway, that's nothing to do with the hotel but I hope it helps someone.
All in all we had a wonderful relaxing peaceful holiday and would love to return. Weather at the end of May was gorgeous, 28° the whole week. Sweet!

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
14  Thank Littlekittykat
PortoBelloHotels, Manager at Atlantica Porto Bello Royal, responded to this reviewResponded 16 June 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your wonderful and honest review!

I am delighted you found our resort to be very comfortable for you.

I am absolutely thrilled to hear your gracious words about the extremely positive impression our Team Members left you with.

I am glad you enjoyed your room and the unbeatable view form your balcony.

We would be honoured to have you return back to us next year!

Reviewed 11 June 2014

Just returned from a week's holiday, staying at the Atlantica Portobello Hotel, Kardamena, Kos. I booked this holiday through Thomson's Platinum holiday and I have to say that Thomsons have been somewhat economical with the truth regarding this hotel and location.

This hotel is rated as a 5 Star hotel by Thomsons. It does not come close to being 5 Star hotel - at best it is a mediocre 4 Star hotel. I have stayed at 5 Star hotels throughout the world and this hotel does not come even close to being in the 5 Star rating.

We booked a 'Royal Suite' room, which was supposed to be the most expensive and luxurious type of room at this hotel - what a mistake that was! The bathroom had no shower as such, just a shower hose off the bath taps. There was no rail to fix the shower head to, so you had to stand in the bath, which looked like it had never been cleaned since the day it was fitted, and hold the shower hose with one hand and try to wash yourself with the other hand! There was no shower curtain, so the water went all over the bathroom floor. The suite itself was pretty basic and not at all like the pictures in the Thomas brochure.

The housekeeping left a lot to be desired! In the main Lobby area, the net drapes at the tall windows looked like they'd never been washed since they were hung. In the area near the Bar, the marble topped tables were sticky where the tops had not been wiped when glasses had been put on them. You may think I am being picky here, but if this is a 5 Star hotel, it should live up to it's rating.

Overall, the food in the restaurant was fine - plenty of choice, breakfast being particularly good - fresh fruit, bacon and eggs, colds cuts and cheese, nice fresh bread and rolls, all types of cerials, Greek yoghurt and local honey - you would have to be a fussy eater to not find something to your liking.

This is the first time my wife and I have been 'all inclusive' and overall the experience was good, the beer and lager went down well, the choice of red or white wine at dinner was a nice touch, although my wife said the cocktails were a little watery with not much alcohol in them.

The pools were stunning - all 14 of them, but it would have been nicer if they had been heated.

The staff were friendly and nothing was too much trouble, although the only complaint in the restaurant was that they were too eager to take your plate away before you had finished eating.

In the Thomson brochure it quotes that it is a 40 minute walk to Kardamena. I was talking with another guest, and he said it was more like an hour, and the walk was not worth it as there was not a lot to see or do, just a dusty one street town. To be fair to the hotel, they do run a shuttle bus down to the town if you do not want to walk. We felt slightly trapped in the evenings as there was nowhere to have a little stroll to.

Overall, it was an 'OK' holiday, not one of our most memorable. Thomson need to be more truthful in their brochure, and this hotel needs to improve certain aspects of it's operations.

One final whinge, Kos Airport is a nightmare! It's only a small place with tour operators trying to put too many flights through there - over crowded, not enough seats, hardly any departure boards, garbled announcements and a lot of sweaty tourists just wanting to get home.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Graham J

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your helpful feedback and I apology if you we didn't meet your expectations.

Our team it taking your suggestions very seriously and is working hard on making improvements.

We put the highest priority on ensuring that all hotel areas are kept spotlessly clean.

Thank you for pointing out the broken shower- it has already been replaced. Regarding the lack of shower curtain- we have glass panels in all the bathrooms in stead of curtain.

The distance to Kardamena is around 3km, so we believe that the average walking time is 40min, but of course some people might need some more time.

I am glad that you have enjoyed the quality of food in our restaurants and our staff thanks you for your compliments.

Best regards from Kos,

Reviewed 8 June 2014

We have just come back from a week at this hotel. I travelled with my daughter and granddaughter who is aged 2. Whom I paid full price for £700
This hotel is very grand to look at. There were good things and bad about it.
We checked in at around 11.55pm after a long day. Check in was very fast and Ross was very helpful. The room was perfect my daughter and granddaughter took the double and I took the single. In the room there was 2 little bottles of water and 2 welcome sandwiches. Nothing for my full paying 2 year old.
This was put right as I rang to let them know.
This was an all inclusive hotel so why no drinks in the mini bar ? Why not tea and coffee making in the room? Apparently you have to go on a different package if you want that!
I travel 5 x a year and all inclusive means all inclusive normally.
We went to the restaurant on the first night not knowing anything how it all worked at that hotel. My daughter asked a waitress for ketchup for the little one as I was up getting my food. She was told to get it herself abruptly not acceptable I'm afraid. We gave feedback to the flattering manager after our meal.
The food was top notch couldn't fault it.
The cocktails and drinks were one of the best hotels package I have been to. Very professional and everything on their menu.
Getting about in the resort was a nightmare as steps everywhere and the only other alternative was the road down each side. But if you wanted to go to any other area in the middle of the complex we had to carry the trolley up and down steps. Especially the theatre as that was not thought out well at all.
The theatre where they had the mini disco and the entertainment was set amongst trees so you can imagine the Mosquitos not well thought out.
Mini disco was brilliant big shout out to krazy Karen and Jodie they were excellent.
The entertainment was pretty much the same thing every night by he same people. Which was boring. Singing dancing by he entertainments team but no variety. We had he Italians delivering a very poor standard of entertainment 2 nights. This was so bad it was embarrassing.
Hotel rooms cleaned everyday complex very clean.
You could always get a sun lounger so this was positive.
We wouldn't go again it had its plus and minus points
When there was an issue I have to say they put it right within 24 hours so another positive.

4  Thank Fackers
PortoBelloHotels, Manager at Atlantica Porto Bello Royal, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to provide the feedback.

I am eally sorry for your negative impression on the arrival day, but from our part we are really clear with the descriptions in the brochures for the guests to know what they are paying for.

Thank you for your suggestions concerning our animation team, they have been already informed.

Our resort has a beautiful panoramic view and is builded on levels. There are steps and roads for trolleys and club cars. If you want to avoid steps, you can reach each level in the middle of the hotel by using an elevator in the Main Building.

I am pleased that you found the rooms to be perfect and comfortable for you and that you also enjoyed the food served in our restaurants, as well as, the cocktails.

I will be sure to pass on your kind words to our working team, especially the one mentioned by name.

Reviewed 7 June 2014

After a disappointing experience at airport check in, our mood soon lifted upon arrival at the hotel. We were checked in and at our rooms inside 30 minutes, eating the sandwiches left in our room, due to the time we arrived10.30) being after the restaurant was closed. This was a nice touch, you could also have midnight snack from the restaurant, you can enter via the staff only entrance!
The staff in all areas were exceptionally friendly and helpful. The entertainment team were spot on, inviting you to take part in poolside games, but never hassling you if you didn't want to participate. Their evening entertainment was good, light hearted entertainment.
This is the best all inclusive holiday for choice of food and drink that we have stayed at.
One of our rooms was under the pool bar but we never heard too much noise, apart from scraping chairs (not a major issue) and found it to be quite central. Had a sea view overlooking a quite pool from this room.
The hotel was full, but it never felt over crowded and quite often we were the only ones in the pool in front of our room, with no more than 20 people around it.
The only suggestion we would make that travelling with teenagers, perhaps a games room would be a good addition, with pool tables, table soccer, as there is only a table tennis table at the beach bar to keep them amused (and this was closed in the evening!). There is loads of space in the hotel for one!

5  Thank daddyprice40
PortoBelloHotels, Manager at Atlantica Porto Bello Royal, responded to this reviewResponded 8 June 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback and your kind words!

I am glad that you enjoyed your room, the unbeatable sea view and that you found the pool area to be relaxing and quiet.

Thank you for your suggestions, they are very helpful.

We are looking forward to seeing you at Atlantica Porto Bello Royal next summer!

Reviewed 7 June 2014

I would just like to Say this Hotel was absolutely fantastic. Staff were friendly, helpful and very knowledgeable about the area where you can visit and cost of taxi's, etc.
The food was always cooked to a good standard with lots of choice to choose from apart from their main buffet they also had a Italian, Mediterranean and Asian restaurant where there food was also very nice.
We didn't have time to try the Greek restaurant in the hotel, but some friends of the family did and enjoyed their meal.
The room was always cleaned to a very high standard every day and there wasn't anything to fault at all.

I was attending a wedding here where there was a little issue with the weather where the Wind picked up and it started to Rain (Always good for a British wedding) the hotel manager came back straight away and personally over saw an alternative location which they were able to prep in less than an hour to a great standard. The personal service for this level of event was greatly appreciated by all.
I would gladly recommend this to anyone who is looking please do not be put off by the odd few reviews, as the people heard complaining about the food on holiday all seemed to be people not willing to try new things.

Would gladly stay in this hotel again and a big thank you to them for my holiday and all there help.

Room Tip: All the rooms we saw were very nice, however the complex can be quite long so if anyone has difficulties walking i would recommend requesting close to the building for ease of getting to breakfast, etc
5  Thank James M

Dear James,

Thank you so much for your kind review.

We will all remember the Wedding Day of your friend. It was such a lovely event and we want to wish all the best to the couple once more!

It looks that you had a wonderful holidays with us and we are so glad you are thinking of returning.