“Incredible, but...”

Ranked #3 of 39 Hotels in Kardamena
France
“Incredible, but...”
Reviewed 2 August 2014

For sure, you will be impressed by the swimming pools all around the ressort and the access to the beach and the sea. Everything is very clean and well maintained and all the people do their best for the services (all inclusive, and this is true). If you have kids, you will enjoy the services of the kindergarten. On the other hand, we have been disappointed by: about 30 planes/jets per day (and late in the night) above your head as the hotel is in line with the landing runway. The restaurant is a kind of very large canteen (do not ask for a tea at the breakfast, only the coffee is served). The connection to internet is a disaster (do not think to work from the hotel or your room...the internet bandwidth is far better at the airport). In a nutshell, this is the place to be for a week maximum, but not to get quiet for sure.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms close to the restaurant...very noisy. Pick some on the side of the sea.
2 Thank Jean-Luc D
PortoBelloHotels, Manager at Atlantica Porto Bello Royal, responded to this review, 4 August 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and point of view regarding your stay with us.

We understand that at times some of our guests have a higher degree of sensitivity to the aircraft noise. The fact that the hotel is under the flight path is well known to all the travel agencies.

At the same time I really appreciate the fact that you had an enjoyable stay with us and thank you for all your compliments!

We are looking forward to seeing you soon at the Atlantica Porto Bello Royal.

Atlantica Porto Bello Royal.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (341)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 August 2014

Stayed at the royal for 2 weeks returned last week, the hotel is lovely, the food in the main restaurant is very good, lots of choice and also hot, reception staff are very good and professional, I asked to change rooms to a pool view and they had one available in three days and moved us. The bell boys are very good, the beach bar is very good, Karina and her team who run the beach bar are brilliant, what a lovely bunch. Pools amazing, views amazing, the beach is lovely , i never usually go in the sea but spent a whole afternoon in the sea it really helps with the beach bar and toilets nearby. Room maids very polite and do a brilliant job.

We all used the spa and had the best massages we had ever had.

Cons: the floor in the restaurant in the evenings is very dangerous and we saw 6 people fall over as it is so slippery the, this really needs to be addressed, the restaurant manager should spent more time seeing to this problem. Spilages on the floor also need to be cleaned up much quicker. I saw a lady fall over and banged her head on a table. tha main restaurant staff should take a few tips from the beach bar staff, Karina should be running this restaurant. She is brilliant

not enough bars, 13 pools and one beach bar and one pool bar, It wasn't a major problem but would be nice to have more.

Rooms slightly dated, air con units on balcony throwing out hot air so too hot to sit on balcony, showers Re rubbish, hair dryer total useless, shower screens need to be changed as have major limescale. The bed was so hard we woke up with back ache every day.

Evening entertainment was the worst we have ever been to, the theatre was awful, we went one night and there was broken glass so never went back.

Nothing to do in the evenings at all

Overall

We had a lovely holiday, the hotel and views are amazing, we spent two weeks here which was too long , but I would def return for a relaxing holiday for 1 week

The hotel is a relaxing adult hotel

Room Tip: Wifi is useless, ask for a pool room, lots of steps so def not for the less able bodied
4 Thank Loulou12014
Berwick
Reviewed 1 August 2014 via mobile

We visited this hotel back in May, it was out first holiday without our son so decided to book a 5 star break. On arrival at the hotel we were greeted , given a map and direction to our room , our luggage was to follow. With it being dark we didn't see much if the complex to start with . Room was lovely , fridge had water and sandwiches in. Big bed, tv and bathroom with complementary smellis.. I feel it's the little touches that matter. Waken up , open curtains and all I could say was WOW. The view was stunning! Speechless. We were at the very end if the complex with a pool in front of us, the view was to the island called nissaros. I needed to go out and explore.. The complex is big with plenty sign posts pointing you in different directions to different bars and restaurants. Spent the day at our pool , bonus at one point there was only 6 of us around it. Was a wee bit cold but soon got used to it.
Breakfast , dinner and evening meals were mainly had in the main restaurant , at breakfast we seated and the lady immediately came over and offered drinks . I asked for coffee and a pot was brought over , again it's the little things. Food was lovely, being a fussy water I always found enough to eat and did slwAys have a massive plate of fresh salad with every meal! Staff all. very friendly. The bars were all very good and spent most of the time in the lobby bar. Trying every cocktail , the bar man was nice and didn't seem to get stressed at the amount of people he had to serve . I have to say i found if you were polite and friendly with him you slwAys got served first lol. Beach and pool bars were both fine. About the piano man, we thought he was funny ! No not the best but to be honest if I'd wanted shows and club music I would have went to Ibiza. Free bus into the town through out the day but we walked in, took maybe 20 mins paths not great but was still ok to walk, nothing much in the town but if you're bored it's a walk.. Beach was fab , plenty sunbeds , nice sand. The hotel itself was always clean and tidy, we didn't use the spar or indoor pool. Reception staff were very helpful. We booked with thompsons and the rep Jo was at the hotel 6 put the 7 days we were there. We booked 2 trips through her . 1st one was to the volcano, a very good trip, town was quite basic but you did only have an hour, but the guide was lovely .. The volcano was fantastic a once in a lifetime trip to actually stand inside a volcano , it was hot and smelly but what an experience. From there onyo a small village at the top of the hill , very sad but you'll need to go see it. 2nd trip was to bodrum, I wouldn't do the trip agsin, on the bus picking up for 2 hrs then on the boat for another hour, was the worst boat ever and to he honest turkey's turkey . Bartering, cheap clothes , food and drink,. But I couldn't enjoy it for the thoughts of travelling back for 3 hrs. Complained to Jo but she never got back to me!.. All in all this didn't put me off the hotel , I will Definatley be back. I loved it. Think it's more for couples than families! But I my eyes it was great x

Stayed May 2014
3 Thank Donnadmvlean
PortoBelloHotels, Manager at Atlantica Porto Bello Royal, responded to this review, 2 August 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for choosing our hotel for such an important reason like a "1st holiday without kids!"

You are right- our property is a perfect destination for a quite, romantic, couple holiday as well. You can always find a perfect spot to rest and relax next to the pool or by the beach.

Thank you for your kind words and so many compliments! We truly appreciate your feedback.

It is great to know that you are thinking of returning- we are looking forward to it!

Lowestoft, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 July 2014

Just came back from a weeks stay at the royal.
Pros. Very beautiful & well designed hotel
Spotlessly clean
Excellent pool bar staff & maid service
Delicious geleteria
Good access to the beach
Waterpark next door
No need to reserve sunbeds

Cons. Food very repetitive, & poor quality meats ( very fatty)
As soon as you put your knife & fork down, your plate was gone
No aircon in main restaurant or lobby bar
Non existent wifi
Poor entertainment
Nothing for teenagers to do in the evening
Don't bother going into kardamena

• Stayed July 2014
2 Thank Tanya J
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review from your recent stay at Atlantica Porto Bello Royal.

We wish to convey to you our gratitude for choosing our hotel and our sincerest apologies for any dissatisfaction you seemingly encountered. I am sorry that you felt your experience with us was not that of a 5-star hotel.

On another note I am glad that you enjoyed the services and facilities you have mentioned in your feedback, and our new Aquatica Waterpark!

Thank you once again for taking the time to review your stay and we do hope you will revisit giving us a another chance to offer you a 5-star experience.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 July 2014

A fabulous resort with some of the most friendly and professional staff I have ever encountered. Of note, is the evening entertainment - Costos - who has a great repertoire of modern and more old fashioned tunes which he sings and plays whilst you sip cocktails in the setting Sun on the beautiful veranda. He appreciates being invited to join you on his break as he is working away from his family for the Season and has as many interesting stories to tell as Songs he sings.
The food is generally very good and the wine an enjoyable accompaniment. Be wary of the free pouring long drinks ;-)
The ONLY down side of the resort is the poor WIFI, but it is nice to escape the constant pull of your Iphone! Oh and the usual hogging of sun loungers for hours by towels!
Perfect for a week getaway

Room Tip: There are suites which overlook the beach and semi private pools. These are further away from the m...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your wonderful review!

It gives me great pleasure to know that you had an enjoyable stay with us.
Thank you for your compliments about the outstanding, professional and welcoming service offered by all our team; we really do appreciate when guests notice our dedication.

I am pleased that you enjoyed the live music program by Mrs. Kostas and you have found the time to have a conversation wit him- I am sure he will be delighted to read your comments!

Thank you once more and we do hope to see you again soon!

Weston-super-Mare, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 July 2014

The best thing about this hotel is the staff, without question all the staff, from the moment you meet reception check in, all the way through the hotel, the bars, the restaurants, the chamber maids, the general staff. They all work so hard to make this an enjoyable place to be.

The spacious way the hotel is set out with its many pools made it a very stress free place to be, the pools rarely had more than 8 people in. Fantastic! The design of the outer of the hotel is worth a mention, very well thought out.

The hotel was kept very clean throughout.

You are in the flight path but the noise was more noticeable at night, it spoilt nothing.

Food was overall very good ,I would like to see the day restaurants put to better use during the evening to increase choice, maybe more waiter served tables?

Cocktails would benefit from proper fresh fruit juice, this is after all a 5 star hotel.

The only real complaint was the lack of evening entertainment. The lobby bar keyboard player and singer was very good for one night, but every night ,the same acts, this wears thin very quickly. We like a variety and a dance option in the evening, again I expected more from a hotel with this star rating. We know we are not alone with this having spoken to other guests.

We did have a superb holiday at this hotel and would gladly return.

Thank you to all the hard working staff who made this possible.

2 Thank takemetotheairport1
PortoBelloHotels, Manager at Atlantica Porto Bello Royal, responded to this review, 31 July 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts and experience at the Atlantica Porto Bello Royal on Trip Advisor.
I will pass your good comments and thanks on to the rest members of our staff. Your comments are very encouranging for all of us here.

Thank you as well for all your suggestion which are very valuable for us and help us to improve our services.

We are looking forward to seeing you at Atlantica Porto Bello Royal in the near future!

Cowbridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 July 2014 via mobile

Firstly I'd like to start by saying that I've been Cabin Crew for a major airline for over 20 years so have travelled extensively both for work and pleasure which hopefully qualifies me for writing hotel reviews.
Although I wouldn't consider this to be a 5 star hotel by any stretch of the imagination it is still very good at what it is. Ie a mass market holiday hotel. It is exceptionally clean and well set out. The staff are fabulous and very friendly. The food is good although not such a variety as I have had at other All Inclusive hotels but you will always find something you like. The drinks are also great and are premium brands and not just local ones.
I found the bed very hard and requested a mattress topper from reception which made it a whole lot more comfortable so if you need a softer bed then these are available.
The reasons I wouldn't consider this a true 5 star hotel are as follows. Firstly every restaurant except one is buffet. Now I don't mind buffet for breakfast or even for lunch but in the evening I like to sit down and order from a menu with my food served to me. More table service required please. Although the Asian Restaurant is table service it is a fixed menu which is obviously very limiting.
Even though sunbeds are not supposed to be reserved, people are still doing this and not turning up til 3-4pm. Very annoying indeed. In the end I had to take the 'if you can't beat 'em join 'em' mentality. I had to set my alarm for 8am every morning to sprint to the pool to lay claim to our sunbeds. This became pretty tedious as you can imagine!!!
The entertainment was pretty appaling to be honest. As mentioned in other reviews there is a singer/ keyboard player 6 nights a week in the lounge bar. He is truly terrible. If I'd had rotten eggs I would have thrown them at him. There were shows put on in the amphitheatre shared by the hotel next door and that was dreadful too. We walked out of every show before the end as we couldn't suffer it anymore. The entertainment seriously needs addressing by management as the hotel is pretty remote so its not as if you can just walk out of the hotel and find alternative.
At dinner you are offered drinks but only the one. No one ever comes to see if you would like more.
Don't even bother going to Kardemena. It is dirty, scruffy and seriously run down. Lots of shops and premises are boarded up or empty. The trip to Nisyros is lovely and definitely worth a visit if you fancy getting out and about.
On the whole we had a nice holiday with no major problems. It is a nice mid range hotel but definitely not 5 star luxury as as long as you know that then I am sure you'll have a great time.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank TrollyDolly185
PortoBelloHotels, Manager at Atlantica Porto Bello Royal, responded to this review, 1 August 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share a review of your experience. I also thank you for giving our hotel the honor of your visit and I sincerely apologize, that you were not satisfied.

Your concerns are very important to us. We do understand that every guest is different and each has different preferences and needs- we do strive with all of our best efforts to offer our utmost to each and every single one of our guests.
From our side we are very honest with the information we are providing in our brochures. None of them reports that we have table service in our restaurants- except the Asian Restaurant. We are offering more that 170 goods during our meals in each restaurant to satisfied all our guests tastes.

Regarding the reservation of the sun beds- you are right to feel very frustrated and I certainly apology for that, but we cannot take an responsibility for our guests behaviour. The hotel's policy is well known and clearly written. We, as a property are offering a huge number of sun loungers at the beach and around the pools- much higher than the number of guests.

I am really glad that you had a pleasant stay in our hotel after all. It seems that you have found our property to be extremely clean, the staff fabulous, the food and the drinks great, and the bed comfortable.
I am sorry that after so "pleasant holiday" you still felt like rating our hotel with 3*, but of course I respect your opinion and take all your comments very seriously into account.

Wishing you all the best,

Atlantica Porto Bello Royal.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kardamena
Mitsis Blue Domes Resort & Spa
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,240 reviews
Lakitira Suites
Lakitira Suites
#8 of 39 in Kardamena

Been to Atlantica Porto Bello Royal? Share your experiences!