“Good hotel, shame about some of the guests”

Akti Beach Club Hotel
Ranked #5 of 39 Hotels in Kardamena
Whitehaven, United Kingdom
“Good hotel, shame about some of the guests”
Reviewed 1 August 2013

We've just spent two weeks at the Akti Beach with family including two kids age 10 and 7. Six of us arrived around midnight and being the only guests dropped off, received a friendly and swift check in. However relations with the main reception quickly deteriorated over the course of the next couple of days. Some customer service training is needed. Everything seems to be a bit of a problem and several times they switched their attention from me and others being served to whoever had big enough elbows to push their way to the front. However they were the exception to the staff on the whole - bar, restaurant, cleaning, maintenance and gardening - who were friendly and helpful.

The hotel is generally very clean and well decorated with plenty of open social areas and seating.

The room - We stayed in what was know as the 'Experience' end - at the far part of the hotel.The room and bathroom were both small, not sure if it constitutes 4 star. We only received one key which was needed to operate the electricity too, so it was a bit of a nuisance if one of us wanted to return to the room on an evening or wanted to do anything separately at any point. There is a small fridge in the room but this doesn't work without the key, so a bit useless for keeping things cool. The room was cleaned and tidied every day with fresh towels left and the lady who cleaned it left it immaculate.

Food and drinks - the food in the main restaurant was brilliant. Plenty of choice and something for everyone with local beer, red and white wine as well as a good choice of branded soft drinks. The dress code is not adhered to or enforced unlike other hotels we have stayed in. Not a complaint but worth noting when you are packing! Good choice of local drinks and cocktails in the bars too. Be warned if you miss breakfast, unless you walk to the main reception for a cuppa, you'll have to wait until 10am for the poolside bars to be available and the snacks aren't up to much if you are not that keen on cheese and ham sandwiches and hot dogs.

Kids activities - where we were, there were no kids activities for our 10 and 7 year old boys to join in. 'Experience' (A German/Belgian? company who seemed to have commandeered the pool and entertainment area in our part of the hotel) ran a number of activities but it was exclusive to children who booked with them and it was made clear to ours that they weren't welcome to participate. We also thought there was a kids club but we couldn't find one anywhere. I think the hotel need to address this.

Other guests - I don't think you can blame a hotel for the behaviour of its guests and we are all adults but it did become a bit of a joke throughout the holiday. Some appalling behaviour and manners, with a 'survival of the fittest' mentality prevalent at many points. However this just seems widely accepted in this hotel, whereas in others we have stayed in, it hasn't. We had to keep a close eye on our kids as they went for drinks or extra food in the restaurant as I have no doubt they would have just been pushed out of the way. Same with the free evening bus into Kardamena which was a fight everytime we tried to get on. To be fair to the bus driver though, he'll make a extra trip and return for you if you don't make it first time!

On the whole a nice hotel. While food is 4 star, I think the rest would be a good 3 star.

1 Thank Jess H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (154)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 August 2013

I took my daughters aged 14 and 16, usually they get bored but not on this holiday as they have a teenagers club as well as the mini club for younger kids. They joined in these activities and made friends from all round the world! They also had activities for all ages throughout the day by the main pool like waterpolo, water gym,football, tennis, ect... There is also two other pools which myself and my husband liked o go to some days which is peaceful with no animation team. The beach facilities were also amazing as the pedaoes and canoes are free! We also let the girls go on the sofa ride which they said was one of the best things they'd ever done! The food is also very high quality and a nice range eg. Pizza, pasta, Chinese,Greek, meats, chips ect.. Each night! The rooms were fine as we didn't spend much time there at all. The evening entertainment was also good, the girls enjoyed this. Overall very fun and enjoyable family holiday. Recommend for family's with all age kids.

1 Thank Clare H
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 July 2013

We booked this holiday last minute and went by the reviews on here which are in the main quite fair. The hotel is in a quiet location but with the free bus service we did not find this a problem. The hotel is clean, the gardens are nicely kept, the pools are nice the main pool is very noisy with music played from 10am ( not to mention the Sunshine song and dance!), the other pools and the beach are more peaceful if that's what you prefer. There are also plenty of kids pools around. The food is very good considering how many are being catered for. We ate out once in Kardamena for a change of scene and it cost us 58 euros for 2 courses, wine and beer - not bad? We also drank in a great family run cocktail bar which charged 4euros per cocktail (very strong too!!).
The beach is not great but you would need to stay on the other side of the island to get a decent beach.
You do not have to queue for ages for food unless you want the freshly made pizza's, Chinese or pancakes. The queues are caused by people taking too much food! There is a huge selection of salads and grilled meats/fish etc available.
The drinks are not great as all local but that's what I expected being all inclusive. The bar staff and animation team were very friendly and the animation programme is limited and child orientated.
I agree with all the comments about the reception staff who became extremely rude to us when we had a complaint!
I travelled with my husband and 16 year old daughter and there was nothing for her there at all. Everything is geared to younger children. There were hardly any Brits so she did not find it easy to make friends ( a first for her!!).
We travelled with First Choice and arrived at the hotel at 4am, no mention was made by the Rep that we would need to pay a deposit for the remote control to operate the air con. Neither did the guy doing the check in tell us. So having found our room and messed about for 20 minutes we discovered after ringing reception we needed 50euro deposit for aircon /TV remotes. You then need 10 euro per beach towel and a deposit for the safe key. So be prepared to hand over 100 euros in deposits before you even start!
The First Choice Rep then holds her welcome meeting at 10am - not good when we did not get to bed till 5am!
We were told by the Rep that as our pick up for the airport was after midnight we could ask to keep our room until 6pm for 20 euros and 5 euros an hour after. We only wanted to have a shower and assumed this was our only option. I asked reception 3 days before leaving about this and they told me to come back the day before and they would confirm if ok, which I did. I asked for the room till 8pm so we could have a full day out by the pool, shower and then check out before dinner. When I handed in my key + 30 euros for the room (we were in there 45 minutes) I mentioned I was surprised they did not offer a courtesy room as we had only wanted a shower. The receptionist told me they did have a courtesy room and it was our fault for not asking, she became extremely rude and actually laughed in my face as I was so annoyed. When I pointed out that there was no information anywhere about this she told me reception was open 24 hours to ask!! We checked all the information and nowhere does it state a courtesy room is available and everyone we spoke to had done the same as us and assumed you had to pay!!!
Very little information is available about the hotel facilities - it has a small gym but I only knew that from Trip Adviser. We spoke to a British family with small children who were there 3 days before they found out there was a British kids club - after they had been turned away from the Dutch kids club - it was not even mentioned to them!
My top tip is to take clothes pegs with you to clip your towel to the lounger as the wind was literally gale force!! I could not stand it anymore at one point so we got a bus to Kos town - which is lovely. It just seems to be where this hotel is as everywhere else we went was fine - no one can be blamed for that and it does cool you down but it was extremely annoying as constant for most of our 2 weeks!
I would rate this hotel 3 star not 4.

Room Tip: Rooms near the main pool are closest to reception and the dining areas.
2 Thank alyjb267
Wales
Reviewed 29 July 2013

The resort provides plenty of activities for children and youngsters, but is miles from any where.
Excellent food and plenty of variety.
Rooms are a bit small, only standard double beds. no tea making facilities, and a long walk in a morning for that first cup of tea or coffee.
Friendly, helpful staff in general, except the reception staff.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
Soulby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 July 2013

I know this review is a bit late, however I wanted to share what an amazing time I had in Kos in 2011 with my family. I, being 13 at the time thoroughly enjoyed the 10 days I had away. We arrived in the early afternoon however our room had been double-booked by another family, nonetheless the reception staff were full of apologies and we swiftly were arranged with other rooms, which were poolside and lovely. As my parents had booked two adult rooms (due to the 'child' category only covering children up to 12), we got two rooms which were next to each other, which was nice considering my sister and I could share a room as intended without being across the resort from our parents. We were in these rooms for two nights and then we could move to the rooms we booked, which were equally as nice and we had a great view over the whole resort. A particular highlight of my holiday was the food and the poolside entertainment. The restaurant was spacy and the food section was split in to areas according to the style of food, such as Chinese, Greek, Italian etc. Getting a sunbed near the pool wasn't a hard task, which was a bonus as easy access to the pool is always handy when you're in a family. One of the downsides I did notice is that the vast majority of people staying there weren't English, and it did seem to favour the Central European guests over the English guests. This didn't make a difference and I would definitely go to Akti Beach Club again!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Becky L
St. Asaph, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 July 2013

Rooms too small,,,, family room consists of a double bed, single bed and a fold up bed, dislike dislike,,,,don't pay good money for a fold up bed,,and would be stuck for room for it anyway...... entertainment team work really hard,,well done to all of them..... most of the staff very friendly, especially Lilley and,David, from the bars, Mary from reception, Restaurant manager very good (don't know his name)A few of the maids came across quite grumpy.... food excellent, but didn't like the ice cream help yourself, little fingers mixing all the flavours up at end of the day not good!!!!Transfer time from airport took an hour when I was told when booking only took 20 minutes so beware!!! Kos airport absolute chaos!!! never want to experience that again,,families sitting on the floor as not enough seats,,, no announcements as to what gate to board,,, dislike dislke!!!!! If booking trips go to Kardimeena,,,, A bloke called Dave did us a good deal on the volcano trip, almost half the price quoted from rep at hotel,,,,, beach too stoney,,,be good to wear crocks, also far too many germans at this hotel,,,not met so many rude people!!!!

Room Tip: Request a pool view,,,,,,
1 Thank Tina G
Orpington
Reviewed 25 July 2013

Just got back from a weeks stay. I must agree with the most recent reviews. It is a very large hotel and we were situated in room 1655 which is a long way to walk from the main reception and restaurant. I would recommend asking for a room near to reception or overlooking the main pool especially if you have walking difficulties. The hotel is okay as previously stated not 4 star but a 3. I found the staff very helpful and friendly and you do have to pay 50 euros or 40 pound for the tv remote and air con remote refunded at the end of your holiday cannot see the reason for this, towels can be hired for a refundable deposit of 10 euros and changed every two days. I found the entertainment very amateurish and not very good. The drinks were not that great, the only decent pepsi was from the main restaurant which was only open at meal times all the other bars had self service machines but the pepsi was flat and not very nice. The food in the restaurant was very good no complaints there, but snacks were few and far between, there was ice cream which was self service but after hundreds of tiny hands helping themselves perhaps not too hygienic.The free shuttle bus to Kardemena was very welcome saving 9 euros on a taxi fare and I agree with a recent reviewer that it is much better to buy any trips from shops in Kardemena. There is a shop called sail away which is run by an English man called Dave and his prices were much cheaper than tour company at hotel our volcano trip would have cost 50 euros each for an adult but buying from Dave only cost 44 euros for two of us. One last niggle we were woken up most days by the maid knocking on our door and just walking in sometimes at 0930 and she seemed quite annoyed that we were still in bed, well when we are on holiday I don't want to be woken up and as there are no do not disturb signs this will be a common problem unless something is done. Just to sum up a good holiday staff excellent but a few things need improvement.

Room Tip: ask for rooms near to reception hardly any rooms have sea views and to be honest the grounds are ver...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kardamena
Grand Blue Beach Hotel
Sovereign Beach Hotel
Sovereign Beach Hotel
#17 of 39 in Kardamena
Astir Odysseus Resort & Spa

Been to Akti Beach Club Hotel? Share your experiences!