Mitsis Family Village Beach Hotel
US$91
US$68
bedfinder
  • Pool
Cleopatra Superior Hotel(Kardamena)(Great Value!)
US$26
US$132
1,020 results
All reviewsbeach hoppercrepesother hotelsmain poolswim up roompizzasteep hillsummer palacebar staffsalt waterice creamblue domesshared poolnorida beachkos townfantastic holidaywater slide pool
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 16 October 2013

We stayed here 2nd-9th Oct after previously staying at the Mitsis Rinela Beach Hotel in Crete. Arrived 9pm at the hotel complex and first impressions of the whole complex of the Family Village/Blue Domes/Summer Palace and Norida, was of being inside a purpose built holiday resort which was security conscious and clean. We checked in at reception and were told to leave our suitcases and go for dinner. We were then taken to our room by Aglint in a people carrier to the top of the hill which is when I realised how steep the hill was. Our room 611 was large but looked like it had been previously been a self catering room with kitchenette. The room was very clean but needed modernising and had a a concrete framed bed. We were happy with the room apart from the shower didn't have a shower head holder so I went to reception and asked if there was a room available with one. The lovely Despina on reception said she would sort it out and would also show me around some other rooms the next day. The next day woke up to glorious sunshine with wonderful views of Turkey and other islands and after returning from sunbathing a shower head holder had been fitted so I thought no more of it but 2 days later a note had been pushed under the door to say contact reception. In the mean time I had hired a car because of the hill for 6 days. Despina had been looking for us to show us another room even though we were happy where we were. We were shown a maisonette with a swim up pool and 2 bathrooms so gladly took up Despina's offer. The room 809 was modernised and a nice upgrade with only a short walk to reception/restaurant which was better. The second day it became very wind with a cold wind so you needed a jumper/coat in the evening but was told the cold wind was very unusual this early in Oct. If you have been to a Mitsis hotel before the difference between this one 4 star and other 5 star ones is that you don't get extra's like complimentary shampoo/soap/dressing gown/slippers/mini bar drinks and waiter service for drinks after 6pm apart from your evening meal. The food was as I expected brilliant and meal time was not hectic like others can be. We enjoyed the drinks also and you have to queue at the bar for them but Juliano does a brilliant job serving always with a smile. There was no entertainment unless you were prepared to travel a distance to a onsite open theatre by the Blue Domes, but this suited us with just light music playing all day. The pools were quite cold because of the cold wind for 3 days but we still managed to sunbathe every day and got into the mid 20's as the week went on. You can walk to the beach or use the golf cart type shuttle driven by the Captain. The beach is nothing special which is shingle but the sea looked calm and went deep quickly so we stayed around the pool with the slides by the Norida, and on 2 days there were only 6 of us sunbathing with the pool bar shut and slides water flow turned off. There were snacks available from this pool bar and the main pool and there were plenty of beds available. Long trousers/jeans are required in the evening as with most Mitsis Hotels. I would like to say a special Thankyou to Despina and the rest of the staff/cleaners who do a brilliant job and are always at hand if you require them. I only wish there were more Mitsis Hotels around the Greek Isles as I would always stay at one given a choice and wish they were more spread out instead of being close to one another. Overall really enjoyed our holiday and would return after visiting every other Greek Island.

Room Tip: Rooms nearer the the reception as the hills are a bit of a struggle preferably with a swim up pool.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Mark C
Reviewed 16 October 2013

Well I returned back from the Mitsis Family Village hotel over a month ago now and didn't wrote a review as I thought everybody had already mentioned what I would say!

But now I'm genuinely shocked at how people can rate this hotel a one star? And even more shocked people are on holiday writing a negative review- get a life! Enjoy the hol!

The hotel views are stunning, such a beautiful place. The staff STRIVE to ensure you are ok and happy- do not listen to he negative reviews! The food was fine, fresh, plenty variety. The rooms big, spacious, cleaned every day. Pools are beautiful plenty of sunbeds. Don't have a negative word to say about the hotel and can only think the negative views are from those who are clearly very picky, unnecessarily picky! Pathetically picky!

The one thing I would say is the hotel is on quite a steep hill, yet I'm sure if you do your research prior to the holiday you would have been aware of this!

DO NOT LISTEN TO THE MOANERS (clearly short of something to do) great place, beautiful island, lovely people- booking again for next year!

• Stayed: September 2013
5  Thank AntoniaMarie
Reviewed 15 October 2013

WELDER 49 we also travelled to family village on 19 sept. for two weeks . holiday started badly as we were dropped of at the blue domes and told this was where every body had to get of bus at 1.30 am eventualy got to f.v .room we booked was swim up room we were told our room had mountain view got upgraded to sea view but no swim up room. bar was a sideboard in corridor between reception and dining room with 3 bottles on shelf drink was really weak. dining room was worse than old transport cafes all through meal you were fighting the flies to get peace to eat your meal. after two or three days you got fed up with the same food just different sauces and different colours used on same sweets. fruit was terrible melon; slices of banana slices of apple. totally unsuitable for anybody with any disablement. as sh2605 said no seats you could relax in as 16 comfy seats were allways occupied with people on wi.fi as reception was only place you could get any wi.fi . POOREST ALL INCLUSIVE WE HAVE EVER STAYED WAS MEANT TO BE ANNIVERSARY HOLIDAY VERY NEARLY GROUNDS FOR DIVORCE. WE HAVE NEVER STAYED IN MITSIS HOTELS BEFORE AND WILL NEVER STAY IN ONE AGAIN.COMPLETE WASTE OF HARD EARNED MONEY MIGHT AS WELL HAVE BURNED IT.

Room Tip: do not get room 890 as dirt and leaves blow in under door every time wind blows
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
9  Thank tigwelder49
Reviewed 15 October 2013

Im still on holiday while writing this and having just complained about a member of staff, think its only fair that I write this now.

We are here for the week.

No one tells you that the four mitsis hotels on Kos are on the same complex. So you have the Blue Domes, Norida, Family Village and Summer Palace together. I was told by a pair that stayed at Blue Domes, that the staff there were really rude and they moved to this hotel instead.
Another couple complained about the food and the repetitiveness and coldness of it.

When we first came we were given room 541. The mattress was on a block of wood painted white to make it look like a frame. The sink had no plug and the tv remotes batteries were held together with some black electric tape. The batteries were dead so it didnt matter that they didnt stay in.
The shower was great if you were 6'5" and could reach the hanging point. Also, the bathroom stunk. It smelt like it hadnt been cleaned in ages.
As we got there after 10pm, I complained the next day about the room. I asked if we could move and I was told we would have to see as they needed to speak to the manager.

The next evening, we received a message asking to speak to reception. When we were going for dinner, the receptionist caught up with us and asked us if we wanted to see another room. After dinner I went to view room 818 and it was so much better! I was in shock how different the standards were. The balcony had a view and you could take the steps down into your privately shared pool. Even the door handle is more secure. So we swapped rooms.

Some of the staff were nice. The bar staff and cleaners were lovely and friendly and couldnt do enough for you but it wasnt the same in the restaurant. You could visibly see the chefs making breakfast for the staff. It looked much better than what we were offered. It just seemed like a chore for them to do things. You have to get your own drink at breakfast but at lunch and dinner they will get it for you. I always wanted water and because there was a water machine out I was told to help myself.
We are told that the hotel finishes tomorrow and you can really see what standards they had slip!

I'm really disappointed with the quality of this hotel and its certainly doesnt deserve a 4* rating. You have to wear a wrist band for the duration of your stay too. It tells the staff which hotel you belong to. If you wanted to use the facilities of the other hotels then you can pay 15 euros each a day to do so!

You have to walk down a hill to get to the entertainment (animation team) who we have not seen since being here and its our last day tomorrow. The beach is at the bottom of the hill. You can get a hotel buggy down, which runs between 9.30am to 5.30pm.

The bell boy, is nice and is the only one. I feel really bad giving him my bags even though thats his job.

Theres wifi around the pool, bar and reception area, which is free and when working is great.

After staying in a Mitsis in Kiotari last year I thought it would be a no brainer to stay with them elsewhere.
NEVER AGAIN! My boyfriend just complained because I got a spoon snatched out of my hand by a chef and then dismissed. The manager eventually showed up and told us he was just trying to help. This is while tears were running down my face and my boyfriend was clearly angry because of this. It was handled really badly! The staff kept coming by and asking what was going on. Its not a nice way to be treated. The chef apologised and I hope nobody else will have to get that treatment.

The restaurant and bar area have flies galore! I've never been attacked by them so much. Theres only one bar tender for the whole hotel and he handles it like a pro! No air con by the bar or in the restaurant. The only food available during the day is doughnuts, cake and ice cream.

The chairs by the bar are really uncomfortable and half the tables have no glass in them and some of the chairs didnt have cushions!

We went on an excursion, spent 12 euros on food and drink and it was the best food we had all week. The toaster is forever broken! my boyfriend burnt three rounds of toast and the staff just ignored him.

The smell of sewage was awful! The drinks were watered down and the alcohol had to be poor quality. I drank about 10 glasses and wasnt drunk. At home, you just have to pop the cap and Im drunk.

If you go on any excursions, they pick you up from the Norida hotel which is down the hill. The Zone bar is up a steep hill and is open from midnight unless the sports are on. You have to pay for drinks in there.

Having worked in the customer service industry for most of my life I think the standards in England are better than here and that really shocks me lol.

I booked with Purple Holidays. I wish they were more informative about the hotel.
All in all, very bad experience on this holiday. Wont be coming back to the Mitsis group. After working hard all year and not being able to go away whenever due to work schedules, I think we'll need a holiday to get over this crap excuse for one. Bitterly disappointed.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms 700 or above and you'll get a nice view...dont forget your shampoo and shower gel and theres none of that here. Complain if you are not happy, they may look at you funny for the rest of the holiday but you paid to be there!
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Shaye A
Reviewed 14 October 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Mitsis Family Village Hotel for two weeks from 19th September. We had chosen fully inclusive as my husband is disabled to we wanted it to be a complete break. I try to give an honest opinion so that you can make you own mind up, so here it is, Booked the holiday with Monarch Holidays who are owned by Cosmos, very helpful in advance of the holiday booking wheelchair etc. Travelled with Small Planet Airlines apart from the very long wait to check in (no fast lane for wheelchairs), the plane and staff were great. The Mitsis Hotels are all together, they take up most of the hillside outside Kardamenia. The FV is at the top so is there are quite a few steep hills to manage, which are not easy going unless you are super fit. The reception is very basis but clean and all the staff are extremely helpful and friendly all the time. The bar area was actually just a basic counter where one member of staff served the whole hotel. The alcoholic drinks were a choice of about four and very poor brands, they were also watered down as was all the fruit juices. There was no air conditioning in the bar area was it was boiling hot which made the area full of flies, food containers on the counter were cracked so the flies were able to walk all over the food. the wrought iron table and chairs outside were exremely uncomfortable and there were not enough for holidaymakers so a lot of people ended up going to their room. Some of the tables didn't have glass so they couldn't be used, and some of the chairs had no cushions, whilst this doesn't seem important note that these were the only places to sit after your meal apart from reception which was busy due to people logging on the wifi.

Turning to the "restaurant", this is not a restaurant in any stretch of the imagination, it is a canteen, even the evening was the same, just bare tables like school hall. Again no fly control so you spent most of the time trying to keep them off your food.

Food was regularly cooked throughout all sessions, however it became very repetitive after the first week and lacked imagination. So much so, that we ate out a couple of nights which annoyed me as we had paid for fully inclusive. For example, there was only one toasting machine for the whole hotel, which hadn't been cleaned ever and broke down every day, lots of little instances like this which you do not expect or should have to put up with on your holiday.

Our room was really big and opened up to one of the private pools which was lovely, but I understand other rooms were very basic greek rooms with concrete beds and lumpy mattresses.

I went over to see what the other hotels were like and they are WOW exactly what we expected for our holiday, just walking into their receptions was amazing.

Most evenings there was an awful sewerage smell which seemed to becoming from their jewel in the crown, the Blue Domes Hotel..

No entertainment at all, the night club is down a steep hill from the FV and you have to buy your drinks when you get in there, this is also the place showing all the sports fixtures.

We are bitterly disappointed with our two weeks holiday, the Family Village hotel is not in any way a 4 star hotel, we would only give it 2 star in its current state, it is the poor relation of the group and needs some serious money spending on it to make it a 4 star hotel.

Completely not fair to us, as we specifically booked a four star hotel as a treat and didn't get this, totally misled.

I agree with some of the other reviews that I could go on and on, but sadly we will not be going back to any of the Mitsis group hotels as we feel very let down. We saved very hard for this holiday.

Room Tip: Room 814 is really nice and has its own pool, but beware the air con unit is over the bed!
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family