Just back from first visit with Mark Warner to Lakitira. We are a family of six with four children ranging in age from 14 to 7.
Firstly, as has been said here already, flight times out and back are simply dreadful for families. We arrived in Kos at 1.30am after an hour long delayed outbound flight. Returning, the flight was changed at the last minute and we left Kos at 1am. I don't understand why this isn't being addressed by MW as it is the worse possible start and end to a holiday.
The hotel is just great and is beside a glorious blue flag beach. We loved the food and ate in the main restaurant every day. The choice superb and the standard high. We ate Greek pastries and local specialities every day and there was so much fresh fruit that we really were spoilt for choice. We liked the fact that fellow residents at the hotel were from all over Europe (Italy, Poland, Germany, Serbia) and that the hotel had a really European feel.
The MW team were 100% brilliant. Whatever your interest whether it be sailing, windsurfing, scuba diving, tennis, cycling or pliates it is all easily available and so much of it included in the cost of the holiday. I did the free sailing course and took boats out taking comfort in the knowledge that the safety team were at hand in a rescue boat nearby. By week 2 our 7 year old was sailing his own boat. Very special memories for all.
Whatever the age of your children, there is a group for them that has a daily schedule of events. Our children all tried windsurfing, sailing, kayaking etc, with their friends and it was all safe and great fun for them. For those wanting a more relaxed holiday, the beaches and pools were divine with plenty of sunloungers. I swam right out to sea twice a day because the sea was so clean, blue and not at all rough.
As well as the MW team, the hotel has their own entertainment laid on too. Water polo, poolside games every day (try these as they are very funny) and evening entertainment from 10pm to 11 (shows, bingo, beach party). The small, energetic team have to be mentioned as they provided us with a load of laughs. I took on a Russian Elvis look a like in one competition and lost (I was totally distracted by his brave choice of swimming trunks - they looked like 70's polyester pants).
1. Have an early breakfast (main restaurant service ends at 10). Take in a morning sail or game of tennis before heading to the quiet Greek Taverna on site for mid morning coffee and pastry (served til 11). We only thought of this on last day.
2. Half board is fine if you have older children like we do. Breakfast was absolutely huge. We brought crackers with us from home for a lunchtime nibble and took fruit from breakfast which was enough to keep us going (huge ice creams are sold at poolside too which became a daily treat). Kids Tea starts at 5.15 so we fed ours a small dinner then they came with us for main meal at 8.
3. Bring Mosquito spray. Not one of us got a bite.
4. Don't bother bringing shampoo or conditioner. Hotel supplied both and it was good enough. Also, shop on site sells reasonably priced suncream.
5. DO cycle into local town, Kardamena. Bike hire is free and it really is only 15 minutes away and an easy ride. One regret is that we didn't get round to doing one of the daily cycle tours that MW offer.
6. Though it is extra (€400), the scuba course that our daughter did really was worth it. The instructors Tom and Candy were superb and she now holds a scuba licence to dive anywhere in the world aged 15.
7. If your flight is delayed homeward, ask at reception for a shower room. They open a guest room (if available) for you to use for 30 minutes. We were able to shower and change at 7pm and felt fresh for long journey home. This is not advertised at all and it made such a difference.
8. Ask for James if you are going on a sailing course. The man has the patience of a saint.
There we have it. In a nutshell, poor flight times but holiday well worth it.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, LoveHolidays, Ebookers, TripOnline SA, Travel Republic (UK), getaroom.com, Agoda, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Lakitira Resort & Village reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Lakitira Beach Resort Mark Warner Hotel Kardamena
- Lakitira Hotel Mark Warner
- Lakitira Hotel Kardamena
- Lakitira Resort & Village Kos/Kardamena