“High price and disappointed by most aspects of this Mark Warner holiday” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Lakitira Resort & Village

Lakitira Resort & Village
Ranked #15 of 39 Hotels in Kardamena
Northumberland
“High price and disappointed by most aspects of this Mark Warner holiday”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2013

I have just returned from this two week Mark Warner holiday. I went with my partner and 3 year old son. My son was in kids' club in the mornings. The childcare staff were excellent, my son was reticent about kids' club at first, but enjoyed it as soon as we got out the door. Tears at drop off for the first 4 days, none thereafter. Something to bear in mind if you are there for one week.

My partner really enjoyed his holiday here, but I didn't. He did some cycling and sailing, but I'm not well at the moment, so I kept my head down and took the time to read a book by the pool and at the beach. The holiday cost us £3k for 2 weeks. £500 of that was spent on an internal flight to Heathrow. We went half board. Our bill at the end of the stay was £500 - that's for lunches, coffees, ice lollies, and a couple of beers/one cocktail at night. The ice lollies, drinks and coffees were expensive. The salads at lunch time were reasonably priced. My general feeling is that I did not get value for money. I expected luxury for the price I paid, but felt like I was in a 3 or 4 star 'complex'.

The hotel is ugly, the gardens (maintained by a troop of gardeners who come out during the night) are pretty. The staff - some are fantastic, some are miserable.Special mention to Carla in the spa (the £500 above excludes the spa bill).

The kids meals were fine - I was happy with these. The dinners were, as others have said, canteen style - get your tray and help yourself. We gave up with the main restaurant - too much of a scrum and too noisy. We went to the more peaceful Italian restaurant for most of the time. The food was average in the main restaurant, better in the Italian. The coffee at breakfast was vile - instant and out of a machine. Get some cafetieres or filter machines! The juice in the main restaurant was, at best, from concentrate: but it honestly tasted as if it had been made from powder. Cereal selection was limited (more fibre please) - thought porridge is there.

The so-called adult beach is not: there were lots of kids there every day. Didn't bother me, but might bother those seeking peace and quiet. I tried the adult pool twice but had to leave mid-morning when the loud dance music came on for aqua aerobics. Others have complained about the smoking (e.g. next to you on the beach) - well I dislike this too, but I found it tolerable. If it was in my face I moved.

Dear hotel manager - I saw people reserving their loungers early in the morning with a towel, then not returning for hours. Please stop this happening. It's just bad manners.

Dear anyone who is mischievous - just chuck their towels onto a big pile near the beach hut. Fun for the rest of us to watch.

I had to use the hotel doctor. He didn't take enough of a medical history (in my opinion) to make the decisions he made. He is expensive (60 euros for consultation, more for drugs) and patronising. I doubt very much your EHIC card will cover the bill (see the NHS webpage for Greece - see last sentence about hotel doctors). I'm going to try to claim back on my travel insurance, but not hopeful. If you can, try to see a state doctor nearby (MW staff can advise).

I wouldn't go back to this resort. I might try a MW hol again, but only if I can get a discounted one.

The MW flights were from London or Manchester - why not further north? Please make it easier for us northerners. On our return trip from Kos to Newcastle (BA all the way), the Kos check in staff would not let us check our bags right the way through. So bear that in mind. This meant we had to collect our suitcases at Heathrow and then check them in again. Not great when you are travelling with a sleepy 3 year old.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Bookshelf_Elf
Lakitira-Hotels, Γενικός Διευθυντής at Lakitira Resort & Village, responded to this review, 22 September 2013
Dear Guest,

Τhank you for taking the time to post your feedback from your recent stay at the Lakitira Resort and Village. We value all our Guests' comments and we take them under serious consideration in order to improve the services we provide and achieve our 100% Guest Satisfaction goal.

The Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
guildford
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2013

this was our fifth year at lakitira and we enjoyed it even more this year as the mini disco and the animation team were absolulutely fantastic and our daughter loved it!! The only concern I have is the lifeguard situation; I just don't think one lifeguard is sufficient for the adult and baby pool, especially after the incident last year with a toddler almost drowning, I think the lifeguard should be in a high seated platform seat so he can have a clear view of the pool and that there should be at least two at the main pools. Still wonderful though....

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your positive feedback and, above all, thank you for your loyalty. It is so heart warming and rewarding to welcome guests again and again, over the years.

We are very pleased to read that your recent stay with us was a pleasant experience and we look forward to your next visit!

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 September 2013

The hotel and resort is big....according to the bar man 650-700 people when full. What Mark Warner did not tell us (or indicate on the website) was that they do not take over the whole resort, indeed when we were there they had about 30% of the spaces. I understand that it must be difficult to fill such a large resort for a whole season, hence the 'sharing'

Why is this a problem?

- Breakfast and dinner is served in a dining area that at best can be described as a huge canteen....because they are catering for Brits, Russians, Germans the food is truly disgusting (particularly at breakfast which you would have thought was difficult to get wrong) .

As a result my wife and I opted to eat at the taverna most evenings, which was very nice, run by a lovely man. You had to pay for the food here, but at this stage the thought of eating in that cafeteria/refectory amongst 600 people fighting over the salad was more than I could bear...additional cost for the week was probably £400....annoying.

This is NOT a cheap holiday and we expected more, collecting your food in plastic trays for a week was not what I anticipated....I am not being snooty...it is just not what I expected fortune money we paid!

Because it is a shared resort you don't get the mark warner 'feel' at all......I guess 400 odd Russians and Germans makes it difficult to achieve that.

I am not writing off mark warner (yet)....but we will certainly NOT be going back to Lakitira....

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Jmacb1971
Lakitira-Hotels, Γενικός Διευθυντής at Lakitira Resort & Village, responded to this review, 13 September 2013
Dear Guest,

Τhank you for taking the time to post your feedback from your recent stay at Lakitira Resort. We value all our Guests' comments and we take them under serious consideration in order to improve the services we provide and achieve our 100% Guest Satisfaction goal.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2013

We have just returned from a fantastic family holiday with our two sons (aged 5 and 2). The resort was perfect for us...we spent most of our time on kids beach with regular trips to the swimming pool. Our 5 year old son thoroughly enjoyed kids club and got to experience kayaking, sailing and windsurfing as well as make some lovely friends. I managed to windsurf and sail as well as participate in some aerobic sessions - boot camp and dancerise. We ate in the main restaurant for buffet breakfast everyday but chose the Greek restaurant for evening meals as the food was much better quality and we liked the ambience (although extra supplement required). We went into Kardamena town for 2 nights for variety which was only a 5 min taxi drive (10 Euros). Our sons loved the mini disco at 9pm. Our room was clean but more basic than we were expecting. The staff were excellent (mostly students in summer break or just out of university but professional and responsible). It was a great holiday and we're left with very happy memories.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Lakitira-Hotels, Γενικός Διευθυντής at Lakitira Resort & Village, responded to this review, 4 September 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments about your stay at Lakitira Resort and Village. We are very pleased to read that your stay with us was a very pleasant experience and we look forward to welcoming you back again.

Milan, Italy
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2013 via mobile

hello, we stayed in lakitira resort very recently. our experience has been very positive: first of all, the waitresses, receptionists and generally all the people working there are always kind, supportive and smiling. this is very aprreciated.
the resort is very nice, with a wonderful private beach, a large swimming pool, tennis nd football court.
our room was nice, clean and big. the restaurant is good, it offers a nice variety of choices and also the breakfast is tasty.
the location is near to the airport (4-5 km) in the best part of the island for beaches ( in front of turkey).
definetely suggested to couples and also families with children as there are hostesses/ entertainers who take care of children every day.

Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Paperinik1981
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback on our hotel. It is particularly warming to receive an evaluation like yours and to know that our efforts to provide superior service and hospitality are represented by all our team members.

We hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to Lakitira Resort and Village in the near future.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2013

Lovely grounds, great facilities and extremely friendly staff. A great holiday all round with something for everyone - tennis, cycling watersports. A peaceful adult pool makes all the difference when you want a little time out!

Room Tip: double room with sliding door to two sofa beds is very well thought through. Two separate balconies...

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2013

i traveled to the Lakitira resort in Kos at the end of July 2013 with my daughter and 3 travelling companions. It was really pretty and looked like we were going to have an amazing time.
the facilities, rooms, kids clubs and teenager clubs were amazing but...

The food being served was not up to UK standard with everything being served luke warm, having a background in catering, i know that hot food should be served hot and cold food should be served cold... at least! They have to be served at specific temperatures to avoid any illness and the spreading of bacteria.

Hey presto, my daughter became very ill with gastro entiritis for 48 hours. Another of our party was sick a few times with the same thing.
We had to get a private doctor out who gave her two injections to stop the sickness followed by two courses of tablets. the doctor told us that gastro entiritis is rife in Kos everywhere and she could have picked it up anywhere within the resort, not just from the food.

There were also a lot of other people ill within the resort at the same time.

To Review:
The resort is lovely.
The kids services are great.
The teenagers in our travelling party had an amazing time barring the illnesses.

I wouldn't recommend taking younger children there because if they get ill with gastro entiritis, they will need a lot more care and attention, possibly a hospital stay. Be Advised that the Doctor we saw said that you would NOT want to visit a hospital on KOS!

Room Tip: try and get a beach front room as views are amazing... Our low rating of the room service is beca...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank BAHA1999
Dear Guest,

Τhank you for taking the time to post your feedback from your recent stay at Lakitira Resort and Village, in such detail. We value all our Guests' comments and we take them under serious consideration in order to improve the services we provide and achieve our 100% Guest Satisfaction goal.

Please rest assured that we will address all the points of your dissatisfaction with our hotel team, so that no similar issues arise again. Just for the sake of good order, I would like to mention that during your stay inour resort no other health incidends with similar symptoms where reported.

I also wish to express our appreciation for the positive comments you have made.