“Best food ever!”

IBEROSTAR Playa Gaviotas Park
Ranked #3 of 14 Hotels in Playa de Jandia
Reviewed 2 May 2013

We've just returned from spending 2 weeks in this wonderful hotel. All the staff were helpful and friendly, the animation team worked hard to keep everyone entertained and the food was superb.
My husband had a birthday while we were there and he was pleasantly suprised to find a bottle of Cava in our room.
Breakfast served in the restaurant was always freshly prepared and included continental breakfast with all kinds of fruit and cakes and smoothies, eggs, bacon sausages pancakes etc.
Lunch was served in the pool bar and there was a good variety of food. The freshly grilled meat and fish were cooked to perfection.
Dinner in the evening was in two sittings and the menu was different every day. Pizzas and pasta were always available as well as a childrens menu. We liked the freshly grilled meat and fish most of all. I even got my steak cooked just as I liked!
There was a choice of wine at lunch and dinner which we greatly appreciated.
There were a lot of children (seemingly undisciplined), but we had to remind ourselves that this was a family hotel.
The maids worked extremely hard and were always patient when we were slow to leave our room in the morning.
We also loved the location on the edge of the resort as we had lovely walks every day either along the beach or the path.
We would highly recommend this hotel. The best Iberostar we have stayed in.

Room Tip: We had a junior suite with a side sea view but it really looked over the carpark. I think a sea view...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank pipColchester
There are newer reviews for IBEROSTAR Playa Gaviotas Park

Reviewed 25 April 2013

I went to the travel agent to book for the Magic Life but was unhappy with the price so chose the Gaviotas as it was cheaper and was not disappointed. I was unsure which part of the hotel we would be in as the brochure was a bit vague and when I got on the coach at the airport I was beginning to think that I had made a mistake as we were sixth drop off. Thompsons promise to be first or second drop but Thomas Cook took us around Costa Calleta and Calma seeming to take ages. We checked in and I asked if we could nip into the restaurant before closing. We were told no, my heart sank but then the receptionist said we could return in one hour as they were putting on a buffet for all late comers, this I thought is my type of hotel.
Our room was 3103 with a partial view of the pool and the sea, it was a studio as we had been upgraded. This had a separate lounge, spacious bathroom, fridge and tv. The tv has 3 film channels and world news but nothing worth staying in for. The air con is noisy but there is a large balcony with a high wall so no toddlers falling out. Yes, the bed is a bit firm.
There are 3 gaviotas hotels, the Park,Playa and the Palace. Forget the Palace as you cannot use it but the Playa and the Park are open to all for All Inclusive re facilties /food/drink.The Park is not on the the beach but its only a few minutes walk through the Playa. The shops are about 10 mins walk including a spar supermarket with the rest of Jandia another 10 mins further on. A taxi back cost 3.5 euro.
The Park has 3 pools, lots of sunbeds with a sign threatening that towels will be removed before 9.00 am, You could get a sunbed at noon next to the pool so even the Germans stayed in bed.There is a childrens club with a small paddling pool along with a playhouse in the style of a ship, the kids club area is paved with safety soft paving. Pool towels are available with a deposit and changed 4 times a week. The pool bar doubles as a restaurant for lunch, there is a large covered area to eat and food and drink is available throughout the day. The main restaurant is quite big, tables were constantly being cleaned and reset and there was a good selection of hot and cold food. I was usually spoilt for choice but anyone who likes English food can always use tthe childrens bit(burgers etc)if nothing attracts them.Fizzy wine to make Bucks Fizz is available with breakfast although the bacon/sausage quality varied.
This brings me to the bit I really liked, as you walk in either restaurant you see a table with a wide selection of bottles of spirits, along the sides there are bottles/barrels of 3 types of wine as well as beer.. Also soft drink dispensers and coffee machines so you just help yourself. There was never a queue nor a drunken person all week.
There is a Thai Spar and a bowling alley but I did not use them. There is the usual day time entertainment and in the evening either the animation team or a visiting act. You can alternate with the Playa if the act does not appeal. A previous reviewer said the animation team production of Grease was "pitiful", yes but did he expect John and Olivia?. There is a well attended childrens disco which seemed to go down well. I thought that the animation team/kids club staff did a good job and definitely looked happy in their job. The kids were mainly under six, I am not sure what they provide for older children.
The beach is vast and there seemed to be a constant stream of people walking into the distance, there are plenty of sunloungers close by at 12 euro for a day. There was not a great selection of trips to do, we went on a catamaran looking for dolphins but it clouded over with a stiff breeze, we had a better chance of seeing polar bears. You can get a free bus to the zoo from Jandia which I had already been to. There is a market on a thursday in Jandi, 90% rubbish but there were a few good stalls. The sea was rough when we were there but you can always amuse yourself by feeding the chipmunks, (they like cucumber) in the rocks.
We went in mid April with lots of Germans and French, only a few English. Quite a few young parents with toddlers but a lot of older people. I found the staff helpful and friendly, I did not know that there is a free shower room with clean towels until reception told me.. The clientelle type probably changes through the year but I thought it was a great hotel for those wanting a quiet relaxing holiday with good walks on the beach and a good book.
I wpuld definitely return

Room Tip: The higher the room the better.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Ashtonian1954
Reviewed 15 April 2013

There is much to commend this all-inclusive resort. While not the best Iberostar I have stayed in, (Albefuera park in Majorca takes that honour) it delivers on accommodation, cleanliness, family friendliness, food and weather.
A good sign for any hotel is its popularity with our German cousins, who don't tolerate any nonsense. and here is no exception. Don't be put off by all inclusive! Iberostar have moved it all on and some.

A couple of more general points - it is a good drive from the airport and when you are down on the Southern tip of the island there is little to see outside the complex. You may be intending to stay by the pool all holiday - and that is what the all inclusive experience is really about - but if you fancy sight seeing the north is where the action is and it is a two hour drive up there.

Also it is a family resort first and foremost so if you have romance in mind (especially around a school holiday) it is unlikely to float your boat. I expect outside of school holidays there are many older folk too who move in for the winter months judging by some of the tans on display.

We had a great time - if you have kids, need sun and pool you can do a lot worse than come here.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank palinscamera
Reviewed 7 April 2013

Just returned from a week at the Gaviotas Park with my 2 daughters aged 6 and 9. We all really enjoyed our stay - it was pretty faultless really. Great swimming pools - never too crowded; always enough sun loungers and parasols.My youngest daughter loved the Mini Club and Mini Disco and thanks so much to the Star entertainment team who were always really enthusiastic and couldn't be more helpful.
Food was very good on all inclusive with a decent variety and was always hot. I would recommend alternating with the twin hotel next door at lunchtimes to increase the variety. Drinks were all you could wish with help yourself spirits (such as Gordons Gin) beer and wine. The evening shows were actually really good fun - with a good range including Mama Mia, Grease and the Beatles Tribute - which I was initially sceptical about! Mostly Germans but all very friendly - the kids made Belgium, German and Spanish friends!!
Would recommend a visit to Oasis Park (Zoo) and the camel riding there.
The only negative was the wifi availability - €6 per hour and only available in reception. Should be available throughout at no extra cost!!
We may well return next year

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank Malvernhillwalker
Reviewed 2 April 2013

We have recently returned from two weeks at the Gaviotas Park.

Where to start? I could comment on the room, staff, food, cleanliness, location, weather, but all I can say is IT WAS AMAZING Even the other guests were the friendliest we have seen in a long time. We cannot wait to go back. Well done Ibesrostar and Thomas Cook.

Room Tip: Rooms with views of pools are lovely
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank TravellinSuCoseley
Reviewed 23 March 2013

My wife and I (32 and 25) spent 10 days in this hotel. Overall it was a very enjoyable stay. The food was excellent. Rooms spacious and clean. The decor is rather outdated, but everything was in an immaculate condition. Staff were all very friendly and helpful. Just one thing to consider if you are a young couple. The majority of the guests (~90%) are over 60. There is nothing wrong with it. Just don't expect an atmosphere you would get in a trendy boutique hotel in Barcelona. The only thing I would like to criticize is the Wifi availability. Wifi is only available at the reception. It is very expensive and the signal is so weak that it reminded me how internet used to be back in 1997. I can understand that the majority of the guests don't ask for it. However, I hope Iberostar will soon realize that it's 2013 out there. Anyways, if you want some sun and 25 degrees in the winter and want a hotel were you get very good value for your money. This is a good place to go.

• Stayed: March 2013
3  Thank Denis S
Reviewed 18 March 2013

this is our third visit to jandia we decided to stay 4 star to see what you get for more stars.
from the moment we arrived we had a 4star class service.
chamgagne reception we were delt with at reception very quickley and shown to our room.
we stayed in a very spacious suite equipped with fridge bottles of water that were free and topped up daily. the rooms decor was very modern.
the food was to the highest quality with a massive choice.i would say may be not to everyones taste but if you dont like it that does not mean its not good!!!
drinks were of top quality spirits that you could help yourslef to at meal times and an excellent bar service in the evenings.
the pool areas were spotless plenty of sunbeds.we could also use the facilites and eat at the other iberostar which made it nice to have different surroundings if you wanted to.
the kids club and the general attiude towards the children was so good free facepainting mini disco with smiley the dog every night games and prizes.
one evening whilst having dinner every child was given sweets in a beautiful package tied with ribbon.
its all about the extra touches which makes this an excellent 4 star place to go.
i would reccomend this hotel to everyone i cant stop talking about it.
the staff entertained u all day with there fun pool side games and crazy cocktail making very funny.
we will be back!!!!
i have read some other reviews and everyone holidays in a differnt way. it is a german resort so what made a refreshing change to see with all the pour your own spirits not one drunk or disorderly person!! may have been a diffent story else where.
this was one of the three hotels we stayed in on our ten night holiday and by far the best check out the reviews from the other hotels we stayed in i know which one i will be choosing every time!!!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
#2 of 14 in Playa de Jandia
Occidental Jandia Mar
Occidental Jandia Mar
#18 of 73 in Pajara

Been to IBEROSTAR Playa Gaviotas Park? Share your experiences!