“What a beautiful location & views over the ocean”

TUI SENSIMAR Calypso Resort & Spa
Ranked #7 of 14 Hotels in Playa de Jandia
Reviewed 3 May 2009

When we landed at Fuerteventura airport we hired a car and had a relaxing drive down to Morra Hable, just follow the main road right down South until you come to the hotel.
Our 1st impressions of the hotel and location was beautiful.
The reception were very friendly, our room was on the 2nd floor. (217). Our room was very nice and extremely clean, it was very large and spacious,the only fault we could find was 2 tiny cracks in the bath tiles, but they were hardly noticable. It was beautiful. The balcolny was huge, complete with 3 sunbeds, also a patio suite, also the views were simply just amazing.
The staff were extremely polite and they played with our litte 5 year old boy lots, which he loved especially at meal times, they were fabulous.
The food was very good, with a good selection everynight, the prawns and mussels were the best, fresh fish available every night, definately value for money.
The pool was cleaned every morning, but felt the small childrens pool was just a bit to small, it was very clean though. The play area was small as well but that doesnt really matter, a beach is a lot more fun.
I think we were the only British in the hotel and the youngest, people seems to be 55+, and German but that didn not put us off at all, they were very friendly.
I would definatley return back to the hotel again, cant wait to return. Adored the location, a few steps on to the beach.
The promenade was really well cared for and a walk to Jandia took us 10 minutes walking slowly, what a beautiful area, the best on all the Island.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank Jewels032
SensimarCalypso, Gerente at TUI SENSIMAR Calypso Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 25 April 2015

Dear Guest.

Such charming words and comments just let us say Thank You.

We have to highlight our hotel has improved facilities quite a lot after a full refurbishment by the end of 2011. So next time you come, you will enjoy your stay further more if possible.

Looking forward your next visit!

Reviewed 11 January 2009

When i went to spain with my mum and dad we stayed in calypso and had a great time.one of the best things was defenitly the staff!! there was one waiter,manaus,who was lovely to us, his english(like the other waiters) was not amazing but he always got by and had a joke with us like the others.
unlike a lot of places i hav been on holiday me, my mum and my dad were the only english ones in a 250 roomed hotel!! that was partly because it was not verty buisy as it was january but also the island is very popular with germans!
the rooms were very nice although on the last as we were leaving a leak started in the bathroom through the light fitting!!
the pool of the hotel is lovely, always clean and well kept. there is also a lot sunbeds a playground and an out door bar/cafe.
the beach is very nice and if you walk along the beach you will come to some designer shops! if you walk the other there is also a marina that i would not recomend going to!
overall i loved our stay at calypso and would certainly recomend it!
(dont fly with ryanair though!)

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled with family
5  Thank bunny109

Dear Guest.

Thank you so much for your extremely friendly and possitive words regarding our hotel.

Nevertheless, our hotel has improved facilities quite a lot after a full refurbishment by the end of 2011.

Now we are one of the best 4 star hotel on the Canaries. The Staff is still mainly focussed in providing guest service satisfaction.

It would be great if you considered travelling back to our wonderful Island, considered by Tripadvisor Travelers Best Island of Spain, and you decided to visit us back.

If this is the case..., please, do not hesitate contacting me personally to ensure we provide you a wonderful holiday period and thank you face to face your comments shown in Tripadvisor.

Thank you so much for your words, once again.

Reviewed 27 January 2008

I stayed at the Riu Calypso from 22 - 29 December 2007 for my Christmas getaway and what a lovely treat. I had been struggling to find something suitable for over Christmas but had my eye on the Calypso. Although I paid more than I wanted to (£200+ single room supplement), it was well worth it.

When I arrived at the hotel I was told that, although I had just booked a standard room, as the hotel wasn't full they had upgraded me to a sea view. I was a little confused as, with the layout of this hotel, being built into the side of a cliff, I had assumed that all had sea view rooms, but I was very relieved after paying such a high single room supplement that I was getting at least what everyone else would be getting for my money! The room was very spacious with a huge bathroom and the biggest balcony I've ever seen. It had two proper sunlounges and a table and two chairs on it!! The view was fantastic looking out over the sea. I was very happy!!

The food in the hotel was fantastic. I have stayed at a Riu before and the food was very good there but this hotel had an absolutely huge choice every day and still of a good quality. There are two sittings, 6 pm and 8 pm, and you are told which one you are in when you arrive at the hotel, but I think you can change if you have a word with the Head Waiter. However, I found that some of the staff's English was quite poor although one of the Managers does speak very good English so there is usually someone around to translate if you have problems.

The entertainment was okay. I'm not usually one for watching it but as it was Christmas I made the effort and we had a Beetles tribute band one night who were really good. The bar staff were very friendly and entertaining.

You will find that the Brits are certainly in the minority at this hotel, and probably in this resort as well. There were 7 Brits in the hotel when I was there, the rest mainly German. I always find with travelling alone that the Germans usually speak to me so I don't have a problem with them.

There was no fight for a sunbed, plenty of them around the pool and you are practically on the beach so that's always an option if it is too busy by the pool, but if you're not into nudity then you may have to avert your eyes whilst on the beach - plenty of German OAP's letting it all hang out!!

There is a supermarket not far from the hotel, just passed the petrol station up some steps on the right hand side. The supermarket is huge with lots of choice.

Well, what else can I say. I had a lovely Christmas break at the Calypso and would highly recommend it. Just one problem I exprienced was that on arrival one of the lifts was out of action and this remained the case throughout my week's stay, which meant that everyone in the hotel had to use the one same lift. By the end of the week it had become quite a joke but no good if you were in a rush to get back to your room. With 12 floors (I was on the 9th) it's a long walk up!!!

For those of you who like to holiday without many children around, I am happy to say that this hotel didn't have many at all. It may be different in the summer months but for me at Christmas it was excellent.

Thanks to Val, Pete, Iris, Audley, Gloria & David - the only other Brits in the hotel - for helping me to have a lovely time at the Calypso. My week wasn't long enough and I could've happily stayed longer.

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled solo
6  Thank windymiller

Dear guest.

Thank you for your comments in the past, recommending the hotel.

Your description was so highly detailed. But now, Calypso is much more and much better. Now , we are a SENSIMAR hotel.

By the end of 2011 a full resort refurbishment were done, with a long queue of improvements. Everything is better and perfectly new.

It would be great if you could visit us back again, as you said you would had liked to stay longer. Please, contact me personally in that case.

Kindest regards.

Reviewed 11 December 2006

My wife and I flew to Fuerteventura one week, starting with 26.Nov. The transfer from the airport to the hotel lasted about 1h. We arrived in the evening and a cold plate dinner was waiting for us, including a bottle of champagne at the reception.
The room was as requested on the seaside, 6th floor. Because of the hill/sloap layout of the hotel, it is important not to end up in the extreme floors (upper levels 8-12 or lower floors 1-3), else you will not see the sea or need a lot of time to get to your room or to the beac/restaurant, since there are only 2 lifts servicing the hotel. Also, very bad idea to be near the lifts, since those are actually cablecars (like in the mountains or Barcelona Tibidabo) and you can hear some rattle/noise all the time.
However, the hotel is quite big, so to get a well positioned room is not very hard. The balcony faces the beach which is accessible by a few steps. There is also a small pool with a pool bar and a a fitness room. The beach is with sand and the water is not deep in the afternoon (depending on tides). Our overall weather was 25-29 degr. C airtemp., with 21-23 degr. watertemp.
The hotel is located very conveniently between the old Morro Jable village (with terraces and harbour) and the Jandia resort (with shops). About 10 min walk from each.
Do not shop electronics, beware of counterfeit products and always negotiate fixed priced perfumes and cosmetics (you end up with 10-30% discount).
The hotel room was clean, reasonably spacious, with bathtub and towels plus all the tiny soaps and gels you would expect from a 4star hotel. Minibar was present. You were allowed to shop (e.g. from a nearby supermarket Eurospar, 100m away) and bring drinks&co. on your own into the hotel. The room was cleaned daily, even if you do not ask for that by the offered sign. Towels for the beach are provided from the reception and can be exchanged daily.
The restaurant had varied food buffet, although a little bit monotonous with salads and vegetables. The wines in the menu are warmly recommended. A-la-carte menu was available all times. In the evenings, the bar was openend until about 23.30 and there were dance nights or various shows (i.e. chinese acrobats).
Everything you order in the hotel can be billed on the room, so you pay only once at the end. Tips you may voluntarily give to your preferred waiter or to the cleaning staff.
A nice surprise was the check-out, when we had to leave the room before 11AM, but were offered free luggage storage and to return later in the room (i.e. 4PM) to have a shower and change for the departure.
Everybody speaks German and most speak also English.
Overall we had a very pleasant stay, we liked the beach and the relaxed and friendly staff. Also, to alternate the sun, diving or a catamaran trip are things worth trying.

• Stayed: November 2006, travelled as a couple
13  Thank Dave07

Dear guests.

Thank you for your comments in the past, recommending the hotel.

So many changes have turned out in our resort, you would really notice them.

By the end of 2011 a full resort refurbishment were done, includding elevators, not causing such noise you mentioned.

It would be great if you could visit us back again! Please, contact me personally in that case.

Kindest regards.

Subdirector at Sensimar Calypso Resort & Spa 4****

Reviewed 23 October 2006

The Riu Calypso seems have some kind of agreement with the German Senior Citizen's Association which our Swiss travel agent neglected to tell us about. Based on 3 dinner-guest counts I estimate it is 80% German and 85% over the age of 65.

PROS
+ we always felt young, thin and sexy
+ the beaches were gorgeous and nearby (just down some steps)
+ nice architecture
+ 10 minute walk from town (if you need German trash papers like BILD or suntan lotion)
+ VERY friendly staff doing their best
+ if you're old and sleepy or younger and pregnant you don't have to pay for drinks "all included" in your resort price
+ there were always enough loungers by the pool with not TOO much reserving going on
+ decent food in the evenings (but to call it 4-star would be a stretch)
+ the water is CLEAR and lovely, and the wind which the island is known for (and which I thought would be a negative) keeps things nice and temperate)
+ decent water pressure in showers
+ demographics give you a sense of how the future will look
+ town/island seems rather wealthy; it's nice to know the area benefits from the tourism (not that the resort is surrounded by dirt-poor people in slums)

WEAKNESSES
- dining times at 18:00 and 20:00 (in Spain!) as the old folks like to get to bed early
- "dining room" was more of a cafeteria: overcrowded, brightly lit
- when we arrived they put us in the WORST room right next to the highway (literally the pillow on the bed was about 2.5 metres from the passing cars) when there were other rooms available (they moved us very helpfully when we asked)
- although they have some sports facilities (I wanted to play squash) you need to bring your own partner as the other guests play nothing more vigorous than cards
- the "details" are 3-star at best (quality of towels, pillows, copy generic breakfast cerials, tea brand, etc.)
- all those Germans mean lots of smoking on the beach which means if you look closely the beach is FULL of cigarette butts. Sadly the authorities did not even put up a sign to encourage guests not to use the beach as an ashtray.
- pool shape is such that you cannot do laps - only float around looking overfed
- rather pathetic "fitness centre" (two aged bikes, an aged cross/elyptical-trainer and some nautilus weights)
- ancient TVs (made by Nokia!) with many German channels (BBC World and CNN were the English options)

Perhaps relevant for you to know: my wife and I are in our mid-30s and we speak German fluently and have no problem at all with Germans (on the contrary). Also: I spend a lot of time travelling, especially to Asia, so perhaps I have been spoiled.

• Stayed: October 2006, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Kanaschwiiz
SensimarCalypso, Manager at TUI SENSIMAR Calypso Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 11 April 2015

Dear guest.

We read your feedback regarding our hotel in the past. Thank you so much for sharing your comments and possitive considerations.

We think fair to say that our company had no "agreement with the German Senior Citizen's Association", as you wrote, but it could be, due to seasonal reasons that on these dates you stayed, we had more percentage of visitors from Germany, that could be considered "senior".

As you will understand, we have no preferences regarding visitor procedences or ages, as we found everybody that want to share their holidays with us "Welcome". Apart from that, we will all want to be senior one day! :-)

The only age exception we make is to be over 18 years old as we are an exclusive adults resort, nowadays.

Our hotel had a wonderful full refurbishment in 2011 with very impressive updating and improvements to adapt it to the SENSIMAR concept and quality standard. New rooms, new decoration, Spa, Restaurants & Bars, wonderful chill out area, bigger and better gym and sport areas... Such a big improvement!

It would be great if you had the oportunity to visit Fuerteventura again and chose us once more.

The beach in front of our hotel is still one of the best of Europe (I would say the best I've ever visited).

Thank you so much for your time you spent in our hotel and sincerely look forward seeing you soon.

Alberto Abreu
Subdirector SENSIMAR Calypso Resort & Spa.

A TripAdvisor Member
London, England, U.K
Reviewed 20 July 2003

We recently had a week's stay at the Riu Calypso, and have to say how comfortable we found it. The rooms were great, ( although twin beds were the norm and not a double bed in sight!). The location just couldn't be better; right by a great, sandy beach, and on the edge of town. The hotel staff were very good and helpful, and the whole resort exuded a calm, professional, exclusivity. Only thing is, almost every one in the resort and also the whole area was German,so if you've a problem then be aware! The guests at the hotel, altough mostly German, were nonetheless polite and not sunbed snatchers! Go there!

21  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Dear Guest.

We read your comments regarding our Hotel in the past. Thank you so much for your possitive feedback.

Our hotel was fully refurbished in 2011, and we really improved our facilities and rooms.

Now, our hotel is a Sensimar 4* Hotel. And it's such a great hotel, where guests are the stars and the most important issue for us is to take care of them.

Fuerteventura, as you may know, is a destination mainly visited by German tourists, but we do all possible to treat and care all our guest independently where they are from and they all are great. As you may know we display information and fluently speak several languages.

We would love you visited us back again!

Sincerely Yours,

Alberto Abreu
Manager Assistant SENSIMAR Calypso Resort & Spa.

Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

#3 of 16 in Morro del Jable
Club Jandia Princess
Club Jandia Princess
#8 of 14 in Playa de Jandia

Been to TUI SENSIMAR Calypso Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!