“Most uncomfortable beds ever!”

IBEROSTAR Playa Gaviotas
Ranked #1 of 14 Hotels in Playa de Jandia
Reviewed 11 September 2013

We stayed at an Iberostar last year and enjoyed an amazing holiday. Top review Albufera Playa.
Really disappointed this year. The beds were so uncomfortable I am now in physio to solve a neck,shoulder issue and bad leg,hip and I am usually fit and healthy! Such a shame, tried folding blankets under the sheet. The maids were very helpful and did their best to make the beds comfortable but it was awful. Please please please hotel managers/ staff change your mattresses!
Positives were, great food, fantastic entertainment team and kids club, nice gym, no shortage of beds poolside as long as you are an early riser. just such a shame about the beds. It has put me off Iberostar which is such a shame as I thought they were a brand I could trust for a good holiday.

Room Tip: Beware the beds unbearably uncomfortable
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank MrsOsborne
IberostarHoteles, Online Reputation Manager at IBEROSTAR Playa Gaviotas, responded to this reviewResponded 17 September 2013

Dear Guest,

Although we deeply lament to read your disappointment on your recent stay at our IBEROSTAR Playa Gaviotas hotel, we thank you for selecting once more one of our hotels for your holidays and for the time you spent to share your impressions so we can take your vision into account to improve in our daily services and offer great holidays to all our guests, which ultimately is the goal of IBEROSTAR.

We are sorry to hear that you didn´t find your bed comfortable and will try to find out what failed to correct that situation as guaranteeing a satisfying night rest to our guests is one of our top priorities.

On the other hand we thank you for pointing out our animation team, they do their best to involve our guests of all ages into the many leisure and sport activities throughout the day, we are glad to hear that they contributed to your wellbeing whilst staying among us.

Last but not least, we are proud to hear that you appreciated the efforts of our professional chefs who daily strive to offer a wide variety of local and international delights in order to please all palates, the gastronomy being one of the prime pillars of our company we are very glad to hear that this was a positive aspect of your stay.

We sincerely hope that you are totally recovered at this time and would be enchanted to accommodate you again in our hotels worldwide ensuring you in advance of our utmost care and dedication.

Warmest Regards,
Online Reputation Manager
IBEROSTAR Hotels & Resorts

Reviewed 3 September 2013

We stayed for 10 night from the 05-Aug-2013. We arrived at 10pm after a mess up with the transfers. The receptionist was excellent, she provided water for our two children and sparkling wine for the adults. A cold buffet was also laid on at 11pm, which was welcome for the adults if not a bit late for the kids.

Jandia is a predominately German resort and the Iberostar is no different, there was probably only 6 English speaking families in the whole hotel, not a problem for us, although I would say it probably put our children (ages 5 and 7) going to the kids club.

The staff were all friendly and helpful, especially the Animation team who worked tirelessly and were superb. We took part in some of the activities such as rifle shooting, archery and pistol shooting. Beware, if you win you are invited onto the stage at the end of the Children's disco to collect a certficate!

There were only 2 downsides as far as I was concerned which were the hardness of the beds (although they did try to fix this with extra blankets on top of the mattress) and the reserving of sun-beds around the pool. The hotel staff did go round the pool and remove hotel towels from sunbeds if they'd been left, but this wasn't the case for personal towels. My husband tended to go down at 7.30am to ensure we got beds.. as it was very much a 'if you can't beat them, join them situation'.

Most afternoons we walked down to the beach. The hotel sits just above and is one of the only hotels that is on the beach side of the road. It can be hard going on the way back up, so beware if you've got a buggy or are a wheelchair user. We had been to Jandia before so we were aware that most hotels are uphill from the beach.

The beach is amazing, a long expanse of white sand. The sea can be rough and there is often a riptide down the beach. Care should be taken to keep an eye on your children and avoid wearing sunglasses in the sea as I lost my D&Gs after a particularly big wave!

The dining room in the evening had 2 seatings, and they asked you to choose when you wanted to eat. We chose the earlier time because of our children, however when we did turn up later because we'd spent longer on the beach or at the pool, no one seemed to care.

The food in the hotel had a huge choice. There was even fat free yogurts at breakfast which I never have had on holiday before! There was a great choice of fish, salad and cold meats and I would say most people could find something they could eat, the problem is keeping it to one plate! My children basically ate pizza and pasta every day, so if you have got fussy kids they're catered for too!

What I particularly liked was the 'help yourself' table in the pool bar and evening restaurant session. There was a great choice of branded spirits. The table was also covered in sweets and my children ate their weight in them.

The cleaners made up the beds and cleaned the room every day. There was no kettle in the rooms so you couldn't have a cup of tea, but there was a fridge and the free bottles of water was provided everyday. The balcony for the suite was very small, there wasn't room for us all to sit out on the same time.

We don't normally stay in four star hotels, however having stayed in this Iberostar I'd like to stay in one of their hotels again (that's if I can pay off my credit card from this holiday)!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank 11taniac
Reviewed 2 September 2013

Our 5th time in Fuerteventura but decide to move up a level from iberostar fuertventura palace. the position is beautiful, near enough to walk to Jandia but far enough away to be quiet and with a fantastic view over the beach.Check in was efficient and the rooms as requested.No welcome drink but that may have been due to a late arrival. The rooms were clean and had a good view. sound insulation was slightly poor so our son's next door had to behave. Wheely cases on tiled corridors were very loud. The room cleaning was of a high standard. Public areas less so. A few items of litter remained in the corridor and on the stairs for several days.
On day 1 obediently removed our towels at lunch time, only to find no sun beds when we returned at 3.30. So we did as the germans did and reserved beds all day. However on day 5 I put the towels and bags down at 9 after breakfast and returned 20 minutes later to find they had been cleared. oddly our swim bag was still in place. I then had to insist I was not going to put down a new deposit to retrieve hotel towels. The pools themselves we're beautifully clean and the unheated one a comfortable temperature.
The food was of the usual high standard with a good variety of options. All drinks in the restaurant were self service which meant a lot of coming and going. I'm fairly sure that previously they we're served to the table. The bars were also mainly self service. We like a cocktail before diner on holiday sadly there we're 4 options, all pre made lurid coloured cordials and the actual make up of the mixture was very inconsistent. On 2 nights out of 7 mine was undrinkable. Somehow it felt Iberostar were cutting costs a bit and loosing the personal touch. My son's felt the on tap ice cream was a great plus.
Look out for chipmonks on the beach path. They're cute!!
Dispite the slight negatives we will almost certainly return.

Room Tip: the Ocean veiw rooms levels 1-4 are well worth having as there is little hotel or night life noise.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Albitros
Reviewed 18 August 2013

After having been dropped at the wrong hotel (good old Thomas Cook!- there are 2 hotels in the "Gaviotas" resort- "The Playa" and "The Park") we walked down to the Gaviotas Playa and checked in. This is the hotel that is closest to the beach. Check in was OK, but good old Thomas Cook had forgotten to include the "voucher" with the booking documents...............

Check in was eventually cleared and our room was just along the corridor from reception with a nice sea view. It was also immaculately clean with very good air conditioning. Noisewise no problems, although early morning arrivals/ departures produced a loud "click clack" noise as they wheeled their suitcases along the tiled corridor.

Evening meals are in two sittings, early and late (probably for families with younger children of which there weren't that many) we chose the 20.30 sitting onwards which was no problem.

Food was good, hot and varied although there was no actual wine service provided- if you wanted wine you helped yourself from either end of the dinning room (reasonable choice of red white and rose- we just grabbed a full bottle and away we went- no problem)

Service in the restaurant was varied- on the night that Customer Survey forms were handed out we were offered a cocktail on the way in; plates were cleared very quickly; and the choice of food was superb. The next night plates were left on tables with a distinct lack of staff around. Now I'm not a cynical traveller but....................

Bar service was very good with no supplements for premium brands although the premium brands were not as extensive as in last years hotel on Lanzarote (which WAS previously Iberostar and is now independant again- and better in my opinion)

The bar people need to serve the customers in order- not serve those that shout loudest first !!!.

Brits were certainly few and far between in this hotel although this was not a problem at all apart from over zealous customers at the bar. We certainly had no need to form an "Escape Committee".

Evening entertainment seemed OK although this did seem to start too early in my opinion- from memory the show kicked off at 21.30 after Smiley Dog and his gang (he is real isn't he?), and finished around 22.35 ish. As we were on a later sitting (which we chose) we didn't feel inclined to rush our meal for the show so we missed most of them. Any reason why it can't start later?

Breakfast- again good but no Coffee/ Tea service- help yourself from the machines if required. Note- the automatic machines underfill your coffee jug and overfill your cup. You have been warned.

Wi-Fi is available and has good coverage with no drop outs. BUT at Euro 15 for a week (and thats with a 35% discount) I consider that to be a rip off. Equivelent of £50 a month- somebody somewhere is having a bit of a laugh.

Room safe is available, but again very expensive. The pool towels were good value as it only costs Euro10 each which is refunded.

Overall, this hotel is better than average. Would we come again? Probably not. Its good but not outstanding having compared this to our previous hotel in Lanzarote.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank ChrisJanandAmy
Reviewed 14 August 2013 via mobile

We arrived at the hotel 25th July 2013 for two weeks.
We obviously chose a bad time as the winds were really bad, so much so that we had to hold onto our umbrellas and at times just went into the hotel as it was unpleasant to try and sit in it. Not the hotels fault, as the place is known for being windy!
However,
The food for the first week was not great, it was the same stuff EVERY night, as was lunch. We have stayed at the Iberostar in Crete and were so impressed that this was the reason for us choosing this one. It was unimaginative, boring and had I had to pay for this in a restaurant I would have been highly peeved! It felt like the chef was on leave and whoever was available was cooking! The meat ie steaks, chops were inedible as was most things, we stayed with the pasta and on most occasions this wasn't even cooked properly! Not what you would expect from a four star! Just looking around at the amount of uneaten food and wastage on peoples plates spoke volumes, in fact most people we spoke to were not impressed.
Our room was neat, spacious and cleaned everyday but not very well, especially the bathroom!
However, in our second week there seemed to be a huge improvement with the food, ie, themed evenings, and generally what we expected initially. The change was amazing and we actually looked forward to our evening meal!
The animation team were fantastic during the day, we travelled with two teenagers and they had an amazing time, met lots of friends and had fun.
The evening entertainment was really bad, in two weeks we saw two decent shows, a pity really as in the evening there wasn't an awful lot else to do!
We never had a problem with sun beds as these are plentiful, if your towels are out before nine they are removed and rightly so.
My children loved it, my husband and I were not impressed and when you are spending £6000 on an all inclusive holiday it is annoying to come away feeling disappointed.
I would probably try another Iberostar hotel but not this one!

• Stayed: July 2013
3  Thank cathryn173
IberostarHoteles, Online Reputation Manager at IBEROSTAR Playa Gaviotas, responded to this reviewResponded 16 August 2013

Dear Guest,
First of all we would like to express our gratitude for selecting once more our hotel chain for your family holidays and for sharing your impressions on your recent stay at our IBEROSTAR Playa Gaviotas hotel so we can learn from your comments how to improve in our daily services.
We deeply apologize for not meeting your expectations on the buffet offer during the first week of your stay because, as you surely know, the gastronomy for IBEROSTAR is one of our prime pillars and our professional Chefs work in accordance with the high quality standards related to food preparation and variety imposed by the company on a global level, this is why we will pass on your comment to our head of department in order to guarantee that our standards are met at all times; We are very grateful for highlighting your satisfaction on this aspect of your stay on the second half of your holidays.
Moreover, we lament hearing that you found a shortage in the cleaning of your bathroom and lament not to have been informed about this during your stay as we would have been able to report to our head of department to ensure you a spotless accommodation at all times.
On the other hand, we are happy to read that your room was comfortable and spacious enough and that your kids had such a nice time thanks to our animation team and that they made the most of their holiday among us.
Once again, we are sorry not to have fully met your holiday expectations this time and would be enchanted to accommodate you again in our hotels worldwide ensuring you in advance of our utmost care and dedication.
Friendly Regards,
Online Reputation Manager
IBEROSTAR Hotels & Resorts

Reviewed 9 August 2013

Perfect spot for total relaxation. Food was excellent and very varied. Pool area and rooms lovely and the view to die for no matter where you are at the hotel. Beach access better than most hotels in Jandia and the sea absolutely amazing. Worth going all inclusive as drinks and food were great. Best spot on the island if you want to avoid " Brits abroad". Mainly German and Spanish guests which made a lovely change making us the minority. Worth visiting the spa as well. Had a pedicure which was awesome but took much longer than expected. Mentioned this to reception and they gave me two free entrances to the spa pools right away worth 24euros. The spa pools were amazing and a perfect finish on our last day of our relaxing break away. Only let down was the horrendous entertainment. The hotel reps tried their best but was not worth sitting through the hour and a half it took. Not a big problem though as we could easily avoid it and sit with a drink at the Corona Bar watching the amazing view instead...

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Iberostar
6  Thank MetteTuray
Reviewed 13 July 2013

When I originally booked I had requested a room away from the children's area and on arrival was put in a ground floor room outside the children's play area..
I was offered an alternate room on the 7th floor but it was next to the generator and was very noisy.
I asked if I could upgrade but there was not a suitable one available until midweek.
However when I did upgrade at an additional 50 euros per night the view was worth the extra and it also included your own quality sun beds on the balcony, where we lodged for the reminder of the hol.
The clientele are predominantly German and the restaurants and staff are geared up for them but the staff are helpful and the food is varied and fresh.
Alcohol is abundant with most premium brands at no extra charge and I did not see one person excess.
We ate at the Gavoitas park next door and the Princess opposite and the food is better here.
The beach is wonderful and you can walk all the way into Jandia (approx 25 mins ).
Everywhere is clean with cleaning staff constantly on the go.
Great for a sedate holiday.

Room Tip: Pay the extra to get a superior room with a sea view if you can. 4th floor.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
#3 of 14 in Playa de Jandia
IBEROSTAR Fuerteventura Palace
IBEROSTAR Fuerteventura Palace
#2 of 14 in Playa de Jandia

Been to IBEROSTAR Playa Gaviotas? Share your experiences!