“A truly memorable experience”

Melia Salinas - Adults recommended
Ranked #11 of 38 Hotels in Costa Teguise
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 12 April 2011

A real 5 star hotel from architecture to service.

It was an exhilarating experience having the opportunity to stay in a hotel designed by the late Caesar Manrique, local architect/artist who gave Lanzarote its unique image. I spent a good hour admiring the ingenious design of the hotel which married nature and structure, with tropical plants and fish ponds turning the internal space into a rainforest. The interplay of yellow sunlight, blue sea and white-washed walls conjured up a pictureseque postcard image of this island. He also designed the main swimming pool which looked similar to the one in the famous Jameos del Agua -- a sunken volcanic lake.

The newly renovated one bedroom suite was both asethetic and functional, offering an impressive 750 sq feet of space -- living room with dining area and small kitchenette, comfortable bedroom, separate dressing room, luxuious bathroom with jacuzzi and walk-in shower. The terrace, space and private, greeted one with a superb view of the swimming pool and the sea beyond, and surprise, surprise -- another jacuzzi where I relaxed with a glass of champagne watching the beautiful sunset.

The only criticism was leakage around the edge of the shower unit flooding the wooden floor of the bathroom. Also sound insulation in the suite did not block out noise made by youths on the beach in the evening.

Being a guest in the suite granted me the luxury of using the exclusive Royal pool and facilities in the Royal Villa complex. The area was private and quiet with free snacks and drinks provided.

For a 5 star hotel, I had expected a spa with wow factor but it turned out to be rather disappointing, consisting of a sauna and cold plunge pool -- the cost of Euro 14 per person did not sound good value to me. Having spoken to the two most enchanted therapists who gave invigorating massages, I learnt that apparently the spa though located inside the hotel was not run by the hotel management.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank sho132
GranMSalinas, Director General at Melia Salinas - Adults recommended, responded to this reviewResponded 5 May 2011

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your comments and your positive feed back about your stay. Cesar Manrique has left part of his wonderful legacy to the hotel and we show and keep his works (paintings, design of interior gardens, murals of volcanic rock, the mural Oceano in the reception area....) full of pride, as we understand Cesar means for this island the innovation, culture, art, and vision of future even many years after he passed away. We want to pay tribute to this universal artist. We have even edited an Art Guide that I will send you if you contact me.

Once again thanks for your visit and I look forward to welcome you personally once again in a next visit. Best regards, Oscar Ramos.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,441)

Reviewed 9 April 2011

Dear management of Gran Melia Salinas,

My wife and I visited this hotel over the last two weeks. We enjoyed our time in Lanzarote and in many ways your hotel is very charming. However, the hotel´s service does not currently meet international 5* standards and we think you must renovate your standard rooms

I will start with the positives - the hotel used to attrack celebrities and has an atrium designed by Cesar Manrique. If you are prepared to pay 100 Euros per night extra you can get a nice Master Suite room and for a lot more you can get a garden villa which is close to the standards of a modern five star hotel.

We toured all categories of room during our stay and the standard room has ben left exactly as it was in 1977 when the hotel opened. "Cultural heritage" this is called. Unfotunately the room no longer meets 5* expectations which explains why anyone staying in a standard room gives a negative review.

The hotel is located in Costa Teguise, a nice resort close to the airport. The hotel was th first thing built in the resort and used to attract celebrities including the King of Spain and King Hussein of Jordan. The many awards it used to win are proudly displayed near the door.

But there is nobody greeting guests at the door..... and when the receptionist presses th bell for luggage to be sent up to rooms, nothing happens.

That aside, most important thing for management to note is the lack of service mentality. This is hotel where the staff do not knowingly say hello to guests entering the building ) anyone, not just us. This is the hotel that clears away breakfast buffet at 10.30am prompt no matter whether the room is half full with guests or not. The buffet is not hot enough or fresh enough to satisfy discerning clients. On the buffet clearance issue, I witnessed a race between another customer and a member of the staff to see if he could get his fruit first before it was cleared away! The waiter looked disappointed to have lost the race.

No guest in my experience was ever recognised by name unles staying in the Royal Service area. Our room was not ready on time on arrival.

Many staff do not speak basic English, which is unacceptable in a five star hotel anywhere in the world. Fortunately I speak some Spanish..... but my wife was not impresed. Please don´t think I´m just being a little Englander in complaining but room service doesn´t speak any other language than Spanish and when told the order in Spanish he still sends the wrong one. When the food arrived, it was lukewarm.

The entertainment posters are for the Guitaza bar are fading because the routine has been the same for years. The guests are the same ones who stayed at the Sol hotels when they opened in the 70´s and 80´s. They are loyal but haven´t noticed nothing changed since.

The room was not maintained as requested when the sink broke down and was full of water. They leave a car on the door to report maintainance issus but they just emptied the water and didn´t fix the sink.

They organised a nice Lanzarote wine tasting which is mostly attended by staff who enjoy a weekly drink amongst themselves. This should be mainly for guests but they fail to engage with the customer and hence to attract more people to the event.

One member of staff we really did like though was Celine, the guest relations.

In summary, this hotel used to be the best in town and attracted celebrities from all over the planet due to the fantastic atrium and pool designed by Cesar Manrique, the most famous person from Lanzarote. It used to be a Leading Hotel of the World. But my message to the management is that guests of that calibre will not return until something is done to improve the faded grandeur of the hotel environment. If you don´t have enough money for Master Suite or Villa don´t bother staying, go to Puerto Calero or Playa Blanca. If you can afford a suite, maybe the staff turn on the charm? But I can´t see this beating a stay at Four Seasons standard hotels, for instance.

Liked most:

The pool area was beautiful
If you can aford the villas, they might meet 5* expectations.
My wife liked sitting on the balcony, which has a sea view.

Liked least:

This hotel thinks it is still the best but doesn´t stop to check whether it is.
Totally indifferent staff who don´t speak English
Staff don´t say hello unless spoken to
Activity programme was suspended due to staff holiday
Fruit not washed well at breakfast
Breakfast served lukewarm and ´café, tea´ the standard greeting rather than ´good morning, may I serve you something to drink´
If this hotel was a song, it would be one from the 70´s that most people loved but seems out of date now.
Kitchen slightly dirty on out tour of the facilities

Room Tip: Don´t stay in the standard room for luxury.
Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Burdass
GranMSalinas, Director General at Melia Salinas - Adults recommended, responded to this reviewResponded 11 April 2011

Dear Sir/Madam,

We highly appreciate that you have taken some of your valuable time to let us know how you felt about our hotel and the service rendered during your recent visit. Comments such as yours are a helpful assistance for us to identify the incidents that may exist throughout our Hotel and to take the necessary corrective measures.

In Gran Melia Salinas we believe that it is only through listening carefully to the comments and suggestions of our customers, that we will be able to achieve the constant improvement in guest satisfaction and quality service that we strive for. Be assured that we will never cease in its efforts to constantly improve the quality of the services provided.

After reviewing your letter we would like to apologize sincerely for any inconveniences caused during your stay.

Certainly we are proud of our past, but we do agree with you that we actually must work very hard to ensure a complete guest satisfaction experience that we did not achieve this time with you.

During the last 2 years we have done a big effort to update the standard of the rooms. As you have very well described, we offer 28 modern Master Suites and 10 Garden Villas with a very high standard. We have also initiate te process to upgrade the standard rooms. It will take us sometime but I hope you can check the improvements in a future visit.

I would like to have the opportunity of discussing personally all these issues with you.

We once again do apologize for the inconvenience and hope in a near future we can change your opinion.

Looking forward to hear from you, I remain at your complete disposal.

Oscar Ramos

Reviewed 7 April 2011

have just returned from staying the Gran Melia in a standard room. we were disappointed as this was not a 5* room which we normally have as the balcony had astroturf onfloor with two brick walls. felt like a prison. no place to hang washing outside and no place to put cases. had to climb over them all week. toilet area was dark and dismal and tiles needed sorted. No complimentary water or fruit in this hotel. TV did not cater for british. The only time you score with this hotel is to book a suite. we asked to be moved or upgraded and they wanted an extra 100E per night!! we had already paid £1700 for this room. Food was never hot only warm and was not 5*. we always go to good hotels but this was the worst one we have ever been in. Pool area was very quite. No background music or life about the place. The price of drink is very expensive. gin and tonic was 8.80 and beer was 4.90. The entertainment lounge at night was always half empty and some people did not buy a drink. no wonder at those prices!! Was very disappointed and at the airport we met other people who paid less than us and were in a 4* and they had all the perks which we should have had. My husband was annoyed that we should even have to upgrade in a 5* hotel.

1  Thank ronnies40
Reviewed 31 March 2011

Lovely hotel - changed my room didnt like the first one was given as it was near dining and bar area. But was given a lovely sea view room and could hear the sea at nite.
Breakfast was busy and the first day I did have to wait a while for my tea, but there was plenty of choice, one thing I think the orange juice wasnt fresh which was a shame.
Evening Meal was very nice wine was a little expensive.
The Donna Summer show was my favourite entertainment that was fab!
I was here to relax for 4 days and did just that - I had a massage and manicure which were very good, and recharged my batteries, I then went to the Hespieria Puerto Calero for the last 2 days but actually I preferred this hotel,

Room Tip: be persistant if you want a cup of tea in morning!
  • Stayed: March 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank suzhLondon_uk
Reviewed 28 March 2011

Just stayed at this hotel again - also went March 2010 - a great hotel for a very relaxing break. All in Reception extremely helpful and nothing was too much trouble. We are already planning to go back next year !

1  Thank A&JEngland
Reviewed 28 March 2011

The reception area is very nice and the tropical garden is lovely. The pool area is well laid out with lots of beds with a nice mattress on them (the reason I picked the hotel as I have a bad back) The room was was spotless and the only thing I did not like was the dark wardrobes.. No way was the pool heated and I was so looking forward to swimming every day. We had a bad thunder storm but the sitting area was so drafty we were warmer in our room. We arrived at 12.50 and told our room was not ready but it would be in 10mins one hour later we had enough and just grabbed a porter and told him to take our cases up. The food was mostly look warm to cold even my pot of tea one morning was freezing as everything is pre prepared and just lies about. I am a fussy eater and did not like the food but my husband who is not did not like the food much either so we mostly ate salad for our dinner. We also found some of the staff quite miserable. We paid a lot of money for this holiday and were very disappointed. Would not use this hotel again.

Reviewed 28 March 2011

Having read some of the more negative reviews of this hotel we were somewhat worried before we arrived, despite assurances from our travel company (Prestige) that they knew the hotel well and that they were sure that we would enjoy staying there. We need not have worried. First impressions on arriving are of a large well-maintained international hotel where reception is professionally and pleasantly run. However, as soon as one advances beyond the reception area, one finds oneself admiring a magnificently designed and planted open-roofed atrium, more akin to a Roman courtyard than the overworked "atrium" of modern British commercial architecture. The atrium at the core of the building is also the functional heart of the complex which has the benefit of ensuring that a human scale is retained throughout the building. Outside, the pool and surrounding area are impressive. There is, of course, more to the building than I have outlined: go there and look at the ceiling construction in the main public spaces to appreciate the engineering complexity of the structure. This is no ordinary building, but neither is it brand new. It was built in the 1970's but has been well maintained since. If it were in Britain, I would expect it to be the subject of statutory listing despite its modest age.

Turning to the holiday itself: all staff were pleasant and efficient. I could not fault anyone and while I would not want to pick out one member of staff at the expense of the others, I feel I should mention "Francesca" who handles all the entertainment and activities at the hotel. She is a charismatic entertainer of children, all of whom seem to regard her as the Pied Piper. However, when it is time for the evening's live entertainment, Francesca is on hand to ensure that the same children do not disrupt the adults' enjoyment of the performers. This is no mean feat, gven that a significant minority of parents refuse to control their own children, thinking that any disruption is "cute".

Finally, I would like to commend Prestige who were our travel company and who will remain firmly our travel company of choice in the future. The standard of care that they offer to their clients would be difficult to beat. What other company would encourage its clients to contact the chairman/MD in person by e-mail and phone? The customised help and advice that we received both before and during our holiday was marvellous. Special mention should be made of Sandie Robson-Salmon, the resort manager, whose help and advice was invaluable

1  Thank auchbally
#7 of 37 in Playa Blanca
Occidental Lanzarote Mar
Occidental Lanzarote Mar
#9 of 38 in Costa Teguise

Been to Melia Salinas - Adults recommended? Share your experiences!