11 people are viewing this hotel
Hotels.comUS$161
PricelineUS$166
TravelocityUS$161
3,719 results
All reviews blue bay salad pool bar block b burger self service great holiday tennis courts plenty of choice on tap evening entertainment soft drinks bar staff hot dogs kids club playa bastian plenty of sunbeds
Selected filters
Reviewed 30 June 2014

We stayed at the BlueBay last week for a week having booked through Lowcost Holidays. We opted for the express hopper (no more than four stops before getting to the hotel) paying £53. The flight from Newcastle was took off at 07.30 which means an 03.30 up. By the time we got to Lanzarote i was in no mood to stand in the sun for forty minutes waiting for the last passengers to make up the party, this was further worsened by the driver standing outside the bus for a further twenty minutes having a smoke and a chat with his pals. I believe return taxis would be fifty euros including tips which will be my mode of transport if we come back.

There was a slight delay in being given our room when arriving at the hotel (waiting for the cleaners) but it gave us time to go to the restaurant and have some lunch. The receptionist was most helpful telling us about local shops and restaurants also about the availability of taxis.

We were in block D on an upper floor which had a view over the tennis courts towards the Playa Bastian complex. Our room was a one bedroom apartment fitted for self catering if required. There are two single beds pushed together which i found to be too hard but my wife thought hers was fine so it's down to personal preference. There is a television in the living room which only has BBC world news, you can buy a TV card in the reception araea for 20 euros for the week to get all of the normal terrestrial channel which was handy for watching England failing in the world cup. There is no facility in the hotel to watch any of the games but there is a bar just around the corner which showed them all.

Breakfast and dinner is only served in the restaurant but you can have lunch in either the restaurant or the poolside snack bar where you can get burgers or hot dogs and chips and salad.The quality of the breakfasts was very good with a wide variety of food. (some of the best scrambled eggs i've had anywhere). as usual the toast machine takes three goes to brown bread but this is is universal. In general the food could best be described as average but i never went hungry.

As everyone is all inclusive there is a great system for serving yourself with soft drinks, teas/coffees etc and wine and beer. if you want a spirit mixer during the day you have to go to the bar to get served.

if you would like a change of food there are several local restaurants within five minutes walk, i can recommend the chinese banquet.

someone has previously said the sunbeds were very hard which we found to be true but a local shop sells thin matress' for eight euros which solves this problem. there were always enough beds which many people reserved early on despite being told at reception that any towels would be removed before half nine (which never happened).

there is a bar in the main building mainly used by adults while the families with kids would go to the entertainment hall.

all in all i would recommend this complex for families with children, not so much for couples.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
5  Thank bigneilly
Reviewed 30 June 2014

Me and my partner stayed for a week starting on the 19th of June and can’t fault the service or hotel, especially for the money we paid £480 p/p including flights.

The hotel is moderately sized with a pleasant modern décor. The rooms were great for the price, spacious, clean and modern oh and the blackout blinds were fantastic. Think Premier Inn abroad but without Lenny henry’s picture everywhere. The balconies were great, very secluded and got the sun all day. My only slight niggles are the single beds pushed together to make a double and you had to pay for the tv. Very trouble free though.

The pool area was nice, very pleasant, quiet as well, an idea place to sit, read and relax. My only complaint was lack of sun shades. Every day these were “reserved” by auld bar stewards at 9 am who proceeded to mince off for hours only to return and never actually use the things, keeping them down all day. Being Scottish I burn like a blister in the sun and needed one, I found I had to get up at the crack of dawn to try and reserve one. But they were over them like ants at a picnic at 8.59 and all were taken. Whilst the hotel operate a policy in which you cannot reserve one until 9 it would be nice if they changed that to 10 or supplied more.

Entertainment was kind of hit or a miss, it would have been nice if it was outside instead of indoors. Things like Bingo and music quizzes we avoided after experiencing them but the magician was fantastic. Its best to pop along on nights were they have a paid act to watch.

We found the food average at best, yes you could get something every meal but it wasn’t great, it was edible. It was by no means the worst place to eat as some have said but far from the best pretty indicative of a 3 star hotel. For half of the holiday we ended up eating out every night. The local town which is 10 minutes walk away is very reasonable and makes a nice change from the same surroundings. A 3 course meal could be had for around 12-15 euros, nothing really.

I’ve rated it as 4 stars as for less than £500 a person you really can’t go wrong, you couldn’t have a vacation at home for anywhere near that money. The staff, hotel etc provide incredible value for money. Whilst I wouldn’t return to the resort I certainly wouldn’t discourage anyone from visiting if all your after is a week in the sun doing nothing. Probably best to venture out the hotel every second night however otherwise you could become rather bored.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
5  Thank alex p
Reviewed 30 June 2014 via mobile

I visited this hotel w/e sat 28th june.I was impressed with staff in all departments from reception to chambermaid,all very freindly and always willing to help.all areas of the hotel were spotlessly clean. The all inclusive always had plenty on the menu to choose from.the pool bar also had a good selection of food available form 10.30 till 17.30. I would certainly consider a return visit to this hotel.

Reviewed 29 June 2014

Return from this hotel 19th June & have to say this has been one of my favorite holidays/hotels in a long time. We booked the holiday through Jet2 Holidays which was a very good choice.

The Hotel from arrival stood out as being clean and in a very good location, we arrived at 8:45pm and advised by the receptionist to take our bags to the room and head straight to the restaurant as this closes as 9:15pm which we did. We dropped our bags didn't even check the room went straight back for the meal, from arrival in the restaurant we were greeted by a very happy waiter who showed us to our tables and explained the whole restaurant to us making sure we knew where to go etc for food and drinks.

Now for the food: We were highly impressed with the whole set up and even more so with the quality & standard of the food which is thought was perfect. I'm a fussy eater and I NEVER struggled to find anything I did not like, I must point out both myself and our party can highly recommend the hotels homemade Pizza, it was one of the best we have ever had. The breakfast was great again all the usual stuff you would expect to find in a hotel. One thing I would say is when it comes to lunch time its probably more wise to use the restaurant for food as I found the snack bar at the pool was ok but food not very hot. If I had any quarm I would say it would be nice to have had an area just outside the restaurant where you could perhaps sit and eat lunch & breakfast but thats only a very small issue.

The Hotel: In my opinion was great, it location is perfect not to close to the centre just a 10 - 15 min walk which we did everyday at some point. You just have to walk out of the hotel turn right & follow the gravel path this leads you to the front and you can then walk to the main shopping area. We went out most evenings for a walk and a drink & found a great bar called Magma where all drinks were very reasonable in price too well worth a walk, the bar is found in the main square of Costa Teguise (this is where they hold the little market on wed & fri night). The hotel itself is spotless as is the resort too. The little issue again I would say is the pool needs to be looked at as quite a few missing tiles on the bottom which could cause a hazard for cuts etc. When it comes to sunbeds we never had an issue getting a bed always plenty and we did notice one morning a lady walking round removing any towels placed on the beds before 9am which I think is brilliant & this is mentioned in a letter on arrival so people should know not to.

Entertainment: Was ok at night but lacked a little interest/fun in my opinion. In the day lots of things going off & if you look in the pool bar you will see a wall full with the times etc of the things happening that day.

The rooms: Were large plenty of space & kept clean and tidy by the maids the only day they have off is wednesday. Beds to me were fine not hard but I suppose we all have our own opinion on this. Towel changed often and bedding was done twice in our 11 day holiday. We did not have any issues with our shower screen as other have mentioned but our shower was very hard to regulate the temp it would go hot and cold quite often so not ideal this is something they could do with sorting out.

Finally each room gets given a free pass to use the Spa during the holiday which I did use, nice Jacuzzi, Sauna, Steam room & ice showers well worth a visit but you do need to book so make sure you use it.

All in all I will say if you are going to this hotel you will have an amazing time.

Room tip: Our roomes were A301 & A302 both excellent rooms with pool view. If you want pool views you need block A or B. I requested a pool view 3 days before we went and we got it so that was good.
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
7  Thank David J
Reviewed 28 June 2014 via mobile

just spent 2 weeks at bluebay and may i say firstly that none of the 4 people staying can understand the pathetic negative comments made about this hotel.the hotel wos spotless,the staff were brilliant,drinks no problems,as for the comments about the food,if u cant find something to eat out of the selection they have then stay at home. fab hotel agreed by all 4 of us who stayed there and would highly recommend it,only one suggestion PLEASE get cushions for the sun loungers,not the end of the world tho

Date of stay: June 2014
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
13  Thank maggiedubbs