“Lovely 2nd stay”

Occidental Lanzarote Mar
Ranked #10 of 38 Hotels in Costa Teguise
Reviewed 9 March 2014

Would definitely recommend and will return. Although the hotel is way out from the village it is still worth staying. The food is excellent quality at all services, lunch and dinner offer freshly grilled meat and fish.

Review collected in partnership with Barceló Hotels & Resorts
4  Thank Catherine C
Write a ReviewReviews (6,009)

Reviewed 9 March 2014

I agree that this is not a true four star. It is, however, a good three star. The best feature of it, for me, was the very hard-working and professional staff, every single one of whom greeted all guests with a smile and "hola". Given how many guests there are, and the rapidity with which they change, they also have an impressive ability to make you feel as if they know you. This is worth a lot. I'd particularly like to mention three women, on reception, whose names I am not sure of, one an Eastern European, one Iranian, and one local (dark hair, was working on the evening of 21 Feb) who were really fabulous. It does help if you speak Spanish, but they were all capable of interacting with guests in a range of a languages.

The hotel is very big, and, although it has a few gift shops, a car hire and a mini-mart on site, it is a bit in the middle of nowhere. It does not have its own beach. It is a flat capital "A" shape, with the central space being filled with pool, bar and sun loungers. The two sides of the "A" are at the east and west, with the top north facing and the bar and lower arms opening onto the south, or south east. At the north is a very busy dual carriageway, and rooms in block 4 (and possibly block 5) open onto open-air passages. Thus in these rooms you can hear the traffic, right outside your door. There are minor roads on either side, and a single carriageway main road at the front. All rooms have balconies, either facing inwards to the pool area or outwards on either side or at the front or back.

There is also an internal atrium, with the restaurant at the bottom. Thus rooms opening onto the balconies overlooking this atrium get both the noise and smell. Some of the rooms in blocks 6 and 7, would, I believe, be so affected. However, some of the rooms in block 6 are blissfully quiet. I know this because I was originally put in block 4, and then looked at a couple in 6, where I eventually moved.

There are three substantial pools, and a play pool. The smaller of the three main pools is heated, and is for children and adults. On the western side of the hotel is an unheated adults-only pool, with bar and some romantic four poster beds in the shade of the trees nearby. My guess is that the superior rooms are on this side, and, if you can stretch to the extra, it might be worth forking out. It's got a very civilised air!

I had a B & B package, and there was a good selection for breakfast. However, on my last day I became ill with gastro enteritis, and I was also aware of another guest, when I arrived, who was receiving the attention of the doctor, and who described herself as having noro virus. Clearly I cannot say that both of us picked up the bug from the hotel, but the only day on which I had anything cooked (an egg) was the day I became ill in the evening. Most of the the time I bought bread and cheese and yoghurt for lunch and supper.

There are several shops and restaurants about a ten minute walk from the hotel towards Costa Teguise, which is itself well-served with amenities, and can be reached by walking along the coast for about 30 minutes, or by bus from outside the hotel. You will have to look very hard, however, for a typically Spanish bar or cafe, most cater for a British clientele.

The housekeeping staff were efficient, and the rooms, which are basic, and far from what I would expect for a four star, were kept clean and tidy. I did notice, however, that the underneath of the toilet roll holder was never cleaned, despite my leaving it raised every day, and the same hair was still on the wall of the shower when I left. But this is is a bit picky, in general, it's fine, and, if you want a good basic hotel as a base, this would be fine. It's nothing special, but the staff do raise the level somewhat.

Room Tip: Pay the extra, avoid the inner atrium and the north side if you want quiet.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Canolista
Reviewed 9 March 2014

this hotel was perfect the staff room everything was great , went all exclusife every thing was at hand NO CUING UP and there was plenty off everything ,you never go hungry or thirsty GREAT PLACE will definatly be back no dought about it

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank terenceculling
Reviewed 7 March 2014

Situated in its own large complex, some way out of town, this is a very large hotel offering a very wide variety of facilities. We stayed all inclusive. We are neither big drinkers or big eaters, so we would probably have been better off 1/2 board. Nevertheless ai was very convenient. The food is well above expectations, especially as it appears that the hotel is only getting about £35-40 each per day. We met the usual moaners of course. One was complaining about the quality of the food and when I pointed out that for breakfast he could have a full English or a huge range of fresh fruits, cold meats, cheeses, breads of every sort, pastries, cereals, pancakes, individually cooked omelettes etc etc and lunch and dinner from an equally wide range, washed down by cheap, but very drinkable canvas, rose reds and white wines, a huge range of spirits, as well as juices, coffees, and for the greedy ones, afternoon teas, pizzas, burgers etc, not to mention relatively good quality entertainment each evening, gyms, tennis courts, volley ball courts etc. then there is the Pilates, Zumba poolside games etc, - the list goes on all for less than £40 per day, ie, less than a nights B and B in a UK premier inn! Get real this is an amazing deal. Oh yes, the rooms were excellent and kept well cleaned and well supplied. And there's more! - the staff, very helpful and friendly

1  Thank UKTravellers89
Reviewed 7 March 2014

We came here in half term and had a fantastic time. The food was brilliant, the choice was fantastic, sure, they was a que for fried grub, but hey, that's life, bit of advice, get your cold stuff before you get your hot!! Breakfast was AWESOME, pancakes, omeletes, bacon & eggs.

There was a microwave and a fridge in the room and you can hire a kettle from reception for a 20 Euro deposit and 3 euros a day. There is a shop just outside where you can buy water, tea, etc.

The entire hotel was spotless! The beds looked almost new and they all had waterproof sheets and a memory foam topper! COMFY! You can chose to have you room cleaned and fresh towels are given if you leave the dirty ones in the shower.

The staff were AMAZING. All the kitchen staff, chefs and waiters and waitresses were very friendly.

The hotel is wheelchair friendly (not sure if they have rooms with wetrooms) but all areas are wheelchair accessible.

The walk to the beach was about 30 mins, but there is a courtesy bus which will take you or you can catch a taxi for about 4 euros. All the paths have ramps and wheelchair friendly. I was worried when I read that the hotel was "too far out" but if you enjoy a 30 min walk on the sea front, its not too bad. And of course, if your are lazy, you will probably complain that it is too far!

The pools were spotless and the kiddies pool was great. There pool bar and buffett area were brilliant and food never ran out. The coffee is brilliant!

You will not be dissapoiinted if you book at this hotel.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Susan S
Reviewed 5 March 2014

After booking and reading reviews I was a bit sceptical but I know most people whinge over the slightest thing. I stayed in this hotel withy partner and 3 month old daughter.
Hotel is family friendly with a huge mix of all ages throughout hotel. Lots of older adult parties and as we travelled in half term lots of families.
Non smoking hotel which you dont see very often!!

Cleanliness/Rooms
The hotel is rated as 4 star obviously it is not 4 star British standard which people on here clearly seem to forget!! The hotel itself was very clean and the grounds where spotless with gardeners and cleaners constantly at work. We had a twin room with travel cot. Room was a bit dated but we only slept in there at night. So no complaints there. Cleaners came round daily and towels where replaced as needed. Mini fridge available but no kettle. I already knew this so brought my own to sterilise and make up bottles. Irons where available to rent for 24 hours at the charge of 4€ again I brought my own.

Location
I've heard lots of people complaining about the location, well surely you should have checked this when booking!! We purposely booked knowing it was a 35-40 minute walk to costa teguise as we wanted to walk off the all inclusive buffet. We also got a taxi which only cost 3-4€ Each way one evening.
Only 20-25 minutes drive for airport so was ideal for us with an infant and after a 5 hour flight.

Staff very friendly amazed at how many languages some of them spoke. Reception staff always busy but always happy to help. Had no problems checking in or checking out. No queues and very straightforward.
Beach towels available but you have to pay a 10€ deposit on each towel which is refundable upon return. But if you wanted a clean beach towel there was a charge of 2€.
Wifi available throughout the hotel and pool area again at a charge. We paid for a weeks wifi costing 25€ only downside was that you could only log on with one iPad. Never had a problem with connection only unable to pick up signal in restaurant area which didn't bother me as you go there eat not surf net.

Entertainment staff worked non stop. Extremely friendly and polite. They worked hard in trying to get children and adults to join in all activities, And also put on shows at night. Best show was Broadway!! Only downside was that everything stopped at 11pm but it is winter, I am aware it is open later in summer months.

Pools
There was a choice of 5 pools, one adult only and two child pools. I found the water was to cold to put my daughter in but didn't realise they had a baby pool around by the tennis courts which was warm till 2 days before we left. Unfortunately those days it was windy so we were unable to put her in there.
Yes the main pools where cold, but I didn't expect any different as it is winter. Children still played and swam in them and my partner went for a daily swim so it can't have been that bad.
I think if there was no wind everyone would be in them to cool down as it would have been very hot.

There was a huge choice of food at meal times. Past reviews I read said that the food was cold and people had to use microwave to reheat. This was not the case and I never saw anybody using the microwave. There was a grill where they chefs would cook fresh meat, fish, plus eggs and pancakes at breakfast, quite often there would be a queue for this especially at busy times. So I always went there first and then got what ever else I wanted on plate so that it wouldn't go cold (common sense).
We found the best time to go was after 8.30 for evening meal that way the rush had passed and was less hectic. Kitchen staff worked non stop bringing out and replacing food. Not once was something not available for me to have. Waiters/waitresses where very friendly and served you almost as soon as you sat at the table.

There was a pool snack bar available between 10-5. Small choice of salad, hot dogs, chips and burgers also choice of cakes available at bar, I avoided this like the plague and went for a healthier option in main restaurant. Great choice of alcoholic drinks, tea, coffee, soft drinks and slush machine (all help yourself).

I thought this hotel was great value for money and I would definitely stay again but next time for longer. A week is never enough!!

• Stayed: February 2014
3  Thank Kelle L
Reviewed 4 March 2014

I have just returned home from a week's stay at the Barcelo Lanzarote. When I read some of the previous reviews I do believe they are being a bit harsh. I only paid £449 for a weeks All inclusive. I stayed in the Barcelo Highland hotel in Stirling, Scotland a few years ago which cost well over £200 for a two night stay. Certainly 4 star hotels are of a higher standard in the UK than aboard, but the value for money at Barcelo Lanzarote is without doubt excellent. Maybe if I have not been All Inclusive, I would be giving a different rating as I cannot comment on the price of drinks at the bar etc.

Food - This is a massive hotel and yes the buffet restaurant can get busy. I felt there was plenty of selection of cereal, yogurts, breads, fruit, soup, salad and pasta. Without doubt on occasions it was slow waiting on staff cooking and serving up whatever fried eggs, pancakes, fish or meats they had to offer that particular meal time. So I would suggest queuing first for those before lifting whatever sides you wanted to accompany that particular meal to ensure your plates are still warm. It could get confusing to which tables were free to sit at, while the staff were hurriedly setting place settings for the following mealtime. But staff are always nearby to direct you if your uncertain. The coffee was poor from the coffee machine but if you look about they provide coffee sachets which are much better than the pre-made coffee. You can get hot water from the coffee machine. We had all our breakfasts and lunches at the hotel. On 2 out of the 6 evenings we ate dinner elsewhere other than the buffet restaurant. As part of our All Inclusive holiday we were given a voucher for dinner in the Mediterrnaeo a la carte restaurant which is out the front of the hotel. The steaks in there were delicious. Would def recommend visiting there for dinner. There is a self serve food station at the main pool attached to the bar. Very unhealthy.... hotdogs, burgers, chips, pizza! But sure your on holiday. So what?

Location - Hotel is quite far from Costa Teguise town. Knew this before we went so I'm not complaining about that. There is a lovely promenade walk into town which we enjoyed but it is quite a walk away so only for the able bodied! Never used the shuttle bus so can't comment on that.

Gym - Only used the gym once. Unfortunately only one running machine and rowing machine. More equipment would make it better along with air conditioning. The day I went to the gym, a lady proceeded to put her, I'm guessing 4 yr old son onto the treadmill to more or less play on it. He had great fun speeding it up and slowing it down. So because of this I really think the hotel should have staff in the gym. Couldn't believe she was letting her child hog the treadmill. Really don't believe a child of that age is safe on that sort of equipment.

Activities - Entertainment team worked very hard trying to get everyone involved in the daytime activities. It must be really hard for them to put on a different show every evening but they certainly gave it their best.

Pools are cold but it's winter so can't really expect anything else.

Rooms were cleaned daily so no problems there. Toiletries are great but I prefer to use my own anyway.

I didn't bother paying for Wifi as I was on holiday to get away from it all, so can't comment on the signal.

Grounds/gardens of the hotel are kept so clean and tidy. They have many hard working staff.

All in all I have no problems recommending this hotel to others!

Room Tip: I stayed in Block one at the front of hotel which we found to be quiet!
4  Thank HMEM
Hesperia Lanzarote
Hesperia Lanzarote
#2 of 4 in Puerto Calero
Melia Salinas - Adults recommended

Been to Occidental Lanzarote Mar? Share your experiences!