“Great Winter Getaway”

Ranked #15 of 38 Hotels in Costa Teguise
Dublin, Ireland
“Great Winter Getaway”
Reviewed 10 June 2014 via mobile

I loved this hotel. Big rooms, plenty for the kids to do and good food in the restaurant. We went for the 2 roomed family suite - well worth investing in. The kids club was great - my two boys loved it. Night-time entertainment wasn't to my taste but they made a big effort. The all inclusive food and drink worked out to be a much cheaper option. Great adults only pool if you manage to leave the kids in the club. Only one negative for the whole trip and that was the spa - a one hour treatment lasted 40 minutes and I was attended to by a staff member who was clearly unwell and coughed and sniffed their way through my treatment totally ruining the experience! However other than that the staff are great particularly in the kids club and the restaurant and we would definately be back!

• Stayed December 2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (620)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 June 2014

We have just got back from a week's holiday at the Barcelo.
What a fantastic hotel with very friendly staff. Our room was very spacious with the biggest bed we have ever had on holiday. The rooms were very clean and comfortable.
The food was of a very high standard in the restaurant if a little repetitive after a few days. Always a carvery, grill, pasta and salad. There was always the option to eat in the snack bar at lunchtime.
The drinks service was brilliant. Hot and cold drinks machine as well as a beer tap but what was different to every other all inclusive we have stayed at was the spirits all lined up on the bar for you to mix your own - a brilliant idea!!
Entertainment team were fabulous, always smiling and ready to dance.
We thoroughly enjoyed our holiday and will be returning soon.

Room Tip: We booked a family room which had a massive double bed and a pull out sofa bed - ideal for 2 adults...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 June 2014

Arrived 29th May – June 5th
Booked package deal through Thomas Cook
Was apprehensive about arriving to our hotel and was unsure of what to expect from reading a few negative reviews, however the hotel exceeded our expectations.

Check in at reception was slow, be aware that you can’t check into your room until 3PM. Even though there is a place to store your cases it can be a bit of a wait if you arrive morning/lunch time, as we did. Would advise you to pack your swimming attire in your hand luggage. The hotel can provide you with good quality pool towels at the deposit of 10 Euros per towel.

Would recommend booking a superior room if you can stretch the budget a little bit. We emailed a few weeks before arriving requesting an upgrade and if it was possible to have a pool view. (Of course we had to pay – 20 euros a night) Superior rooms are more spacious, the bathrooms are updated and you receive quality standard toiletries and bath robes. The beds are the most comfortable I have ever slept in on holiday, and the room was cleaned every day to a very high standard. Warning to UK tourists…. Fantastic quality TV in superior rooms but seriously limited UK channels.

The hotel resort is vast and there is a large amount of steep hills, steps etc. Just a little warning for the less able. Pool areas and gardens were always cleaned and kept presentable. All hotel staff worked hard to maintain the standard of the hotel. Did not sit around or use the main pools, instead we preferred to sit by the adult pool which is located near the tennis courts. – Yes you have to pay for drinks at the bar but the prices are reasonable and gives you that relaxing atmosphere as it is child free. If you are looking to really treat yourself you can also hire a cabana which is 20 euros for two of you- this gives you the use of the cabana all day and a bottle of champagne on ice, fresh fruit kebabs and a champagne cocktail each. – Pretty good deal we thought!

Travelled as a young couple however the hotel caters for a diverse range of people – Young people like ourselves, large families with children and also the retired.

We didn’t take a fancy to the entertainment as it wasn’t really our sort of thing, however they seemed to have a vast crowd of people every night, and everyone seemed to be having a laugh.

Our package was all inclusive – The restaurant surroundings were pleasant and the food standard was of a good quality, plenty choice if you are only staying for a week; starts to get a little repetitive towards the end of your first week as like any other hotels.

The hotel is a little way outside of Costa Teguise, however we preferred to use the taxi service whenever we decided to go into town – Prices are very cheap around 3-4 euros, the drivers are friendly and took less than 10 minutes to get into the centre of town. You could walk it but takes around 30-40 minutes depending on your pace.

Overall we had a pleasant stay at the Barceló Lanzarote, the holiday is what you make it.
Would also like to give a little mention to our Thomas Cook rep – Luke, always approachable and very helpful!

Room Tip: Superior rooms are worth stretching the budget for - Also email hotel and ask for a pool view - love...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 June 2014

Cannot fault this place. Ideal for familys. Staff are friendly and try to involve you in everything but also understand if you want to be left alone should you choose. The food is great with plenty of variety (especially for fussy children). Everywhere is spotless and well laid out. All inclusive is self service at the bar (no queueing). Definitely going back there for my next holiday :-)

Room Tip: Superior rooms are available (at a cost) though not neccesary.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 June 2014

This was my 3rd consecutive year back to this hotel and it didn't disappoint. There are a couple of negative points, but the positive ones far outweigh it so I recommend it, but cannot give it five stars as that would imply perfection.
The hotel itself is in a good, but not perfect, location. There is a free bus service (running one every hour) into the main town, so there is no problem going there, and to be honest it is quicker going by bus into the town centre and then having a two minute walk to the (nice, sandy) beach than it is to walk to the (rocky, crowded) beach from the hotel; unless you choose to use the Be Live hotel opposite as a short cut. However, there is so much to do at the hotel that you probably won't even want to leave it.

There are loads of activities each day for both the adults and children. I took part in the mini golf and archery/rifle contests each day, and my six-year-old loved going to the children's club. The evening entertainment starts at 8.30 with the mini-disco, followed by giving out certificates to both children and adults who have won competitions, and then the main evening event is at 10.00pm. Over the last week there included a Michael Jackson Tribute concert, hit songs and sketches from various West End musicals, "Mr Barcelo Lanzarote" (I advise people to not volunteer for this unless they don't mind embarrassing themselves in public), a magician and a gymnastics display. The latter two were performed by outside agencies, but the majority of the shows are performed by the entertainment team. My six-year-old got used to going to sleep at gone 11.00pm each night and got well into the Spanish life-style by having a two hour siesta each afternoon! They used to have bingo most nights a couple of years ago, but that doesn't seem to be the case anymore.

There is a great selection of food for each meal, and if you go All Inclusive you can eat and drink as much as you like, and not just at meal times. By the pool side there is a bar where you can help yourself to as much food and drink as you like. However, the self-service machine for apple juice didn't work so I had to ask at the bar for that (and when I mentioned it to the bar staff they seemed surprised and didn't realise that the machine wasn't working). The only bad thing I can think of at meal times was the bacon at breakfast - it was foul! However, it was no worse than the bacon I experienced at a different hotel in Gran Canaria a few years back - I don't think they have nice bacon in the Canary Isles.

If you are not a big drinker, it would be cheaper to upgrade from bed and breakfast to breakfast/lunch/dinner for €12 than to pay €15 (which it cost us to go from half board to AI). With the former you would have to buy drinks at the pool side and at meals, but as neither myself nor my parents (or son, of course) are drinkers we paid over the odds. You also wouldn't be able to help yourself to food at the pool side, but I never did in any case as I probably over-ate at meal times and was full up till the next meal. If you're not AI, you can always buy food or drink at the pool bar.

This is the first time I have been to this resort in June (the last two years I went in May), but even so, the pool was just as cold! However, after the initial shock, within a couple of minutes you got used to it and it seemed to be quite warm. A heated pool would be a great addition. There are three pools in total - a deep one where the slides are (which my son absolutely loved), a bigger pool which was shallower, and a small child's pool which my son spent most of his time in for the last two years, but didn't tend to play in this year (probably because he can now swim properly without arm bands). There is also a jacuzzi that cost €3 for 25 mins. However, the water in that does not look clean and it smelt. It needs draining out, cleaning and filling up again.

There is a local supermarket right outside the hotel, but it is expensive. There is a much cheaper Spar that is only a 2 minute walk from the hotel if you go through the wellness centre. From my room in block 4, it took 15 minutes to walk to Spar going the long way round, but only three minutes to get back using the Wellness Centre.

Now onto the negative points. One thing I really didn't like about the hotel was the non-adherence to their non-reservation of sun beds. In our rooms there was an "urgent" note saying that it is forbidden to reserve sun beds, and any towels placed on sun beds will be removed. This never happened! What this meant was that by 11.00am each day, virtually all the sun beds had towels on them, and even though I don't recall a time where more than 60% of the sun beds had people on them it was almost impossible getting sunbeds with my parents and son as they were reserved. In some cases, people put their towels on the sunbeds first thing in a morning and didn't turn up till 3.00pm in the afternoon. If the hotel did remove the towels like they said they would, this wouldn't have happened. The other negative point about the hotel was the air conditioning in the rooms - it didn't work! However, the TVs in our rooms (block 4) had been upgraded to large, wall-mounted flat screens.

As other people have said, there were times when reception was busy and you had to wait quite a time to be seen.There never seemed to be more than two people behind reception at any one time, and when several people had been dropped off to be checked in it took an eternity!

Pros:
Great food
Great entertainment, both day and night
Good location
Friendly, helpful staff

Cons:
Sunbeds were reserved, even though they shouldn't be
A/C in rooms was not adequate
Pools were not heated
Sometimes (but not always) you had to wait a while to be served at reception

Overall, I would definitely go there again.

Room Tip: The last two years I have been on the 3rd floor of block 4 (i.e. the rooms with numbers 41xx) facing...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Surrey, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 June 2014

Came here for my 21st birthday, typically a family resort although plenty of local bars to party ! Beat hotel iv been in ages ! We upgraded to the superior suit and it was worth every penny !

Perfectly located hotel possibly the best in costa teguise has a beach balcony view with stairs leading to the beach. Mixture I golden and black beaches which are lovely all close together so your never far from golden sand and rock pools !
Town is fantastic regular local marked selling hand made produce. No more than a minuet walk to the centre of town !

Saw a few complaints about the staff here before we came but we had fantastic experience they sent me complimentary champaign for my birthday and were really helpful with everything. And all spoke perfect English .

All inc bar has great drinks and cocktails but your so close to the town we mostly drank and ate outside the resort as it's so cheap!

Recommend the fuel stop bar has the best food and fantastic view and also the colourful Mexican restaurant in town ( can't remember the name but you can't miss it it's right in the center )

Local reps in the hotel to help you with the excursions if you want them really helpful and are honest about the cheapest ways to book things !

All in all a brilliant holiday people of all ages here to relax during the day and drink in the evening, surprisingly no noise can be heard from the hotel !

Bercelo is a great hotel come here you won't regret it !

• Stayed June 2014
Plymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 June 2014

I have just returned from a stay at the Barceló Lanzarote with my wife and two young children.
If you have read some of the negative reviews of this hotel then I have to tell you that some aspects of these are justified, but that it is still quite a nice place to stay.
The hotel staff are helpful and friendly but there can be times when they need a few more people on reception. Check-In seems to take an age and if you need to speak to someone at the hotel reception when a coach had just dropped off a few guests then you can end up waiting a long time. I spent 25 mins waiting to check out!
The décor is starting to look a bit jaded, broken tiles etc and the mini golf surface is ripped up in many places but the hotel is kept clean and tidy.
The pools were FREEZING cold! This might change later in the year but in May they were too cold to be really enjoyable. Young children might well find them too cold to endure, even the (supposedly) heated one.
As a vegetarian the choice of food was rather limited, but this is not specific to the Barceló. I still don't understand why the Spanish put ham or prawns in all the salads! However, there was a reasonable selection for those who aren't as fussy as me.
We stayed in a family room with the kids in the bedroom and the wife and I on the sofa/fold up bed in the lounge. This was so that we could put the kids to bed and then stay up late ourselves. The biggest problem with this is that these beds are rather uncomfortable, and you won't be able to do this if you are taller than about 5'8" as your feet will stick out of the end of the bed!
The biggest problem for us was the noise of the wind. The Canaries are windy but it was exceptionally windy during our stay and it howled past the outside of the hotel all night making it very difficult to sleep on a couple of nights.
This all sounds bad but I can say that we honestly enjoyed our time in the hotel. These are small complaints overall (apart from the wind noise) and we had a great holiday. The bars are self service for all-inclusive guests, so no queuing for drinks, the kids LOVED the mini-disco and the Animacion team were friendly and available without being pushy. It's also really nice that the hotel lay on a free bus service to and from Costa Teguise as it is quite a long way to town.
It's also worth noting that your all-inclusive is supposed to end at midday on your last day but no-one took our wristbands off when we checked out!

Room Tip: Rooms on the outside suffer from serious wind noise!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family