We recently returned from a 2 week stay with our two young daughters (7 mths and 2 years).
We booked a beachfront 2 bedroom apartment. Initially we were given 2 interconnecting 1 beds which were right at the end of the beachfront with no actual beach in front of them (this was partly because I had emailed in advance to ask for a quiet location). We requested to move and were able to do so by day 3 of our holiday and we had help to move our stuff, so no major problem. The apartment was great - lovely space with lounge, kitchen, twin room and bathroom downstairs, bathroom and double bedroom upstairs. Good to have a full sized fridge-freezer. We bought ice lollies etc and loads of space for cold drinks. No air con is an issue - it was REALLY hot some days - too hot really although the girls coped well. We had a fan which helped a little.
Location unbeatable with little ones - 5 steps and you are on the very safe beach. There was a tap at our particular entrance to the beach too which was great for rinsing off sandy feet. We used the beach loads. The water is shallow and yes they do have a bit of a seaweed problem but to be honest we only used the first 4 foot of water which is completely clear. They were big boxes of toys, inflatables etc which people had left behind, but we were really dissapointed that these disappeared during our second week - no real explanation available.
The pools were good. We mainly used the one up at the Mai Tai bar (accross the bridge in the centre of the lagoon). This was slightly heated and made a difference compared to the other non-heated ones on the complex. The bar there was nice and we joined in the Bingo etc some days. The bar staff were really friendly and welcoming at all times.
We booked half board but were concerned about the evening meals from reading recent reviews, but we were pleasantly suprised. Breakfast was good, everything you fancied, although no cereal suitable for little ones so I had to buy my own box of weetabix. Nice to have plastic cutlery, bowls etc for them though and the staff were great with the girls. Evening meals offered lovely salads and the hot food included a selection of raw meats and fish which could be cooked to your liking. This included sardines, calamari and tuna steaks which were all lovely. Admittedly there was repetition but we anticipated this on a two week stay. Plenty of highchairs.
Our daughters were a little too young for Buddy Club but it looked pretty good. In the evening we did go along to the Mini Disco (8:15-9pm) which our eldest adored - she still talks about "dancing with the lady" now. They get to meet Buddy the giant dog, do some Spanish and English dancing - it was much better than we expected and even allowed up to manage a quick drink at the bar after dinner, an unexpected treat! It also meant the girls were exhausted so slept well, allowing us a nice hour or so to relax on our patio with a glass of wine and cards etc.
We walked into the resort a few times - the beachfront way is tricky in parts with an average buggy because it is sandy. Nice beachfront cafes for icecreams etc. We had a hire care and did a trip to the volcano - go early and approach from the North to avoid queues. The bus trip was quite fun and manageable even with little ones. We has some lunch in the restaurant afterwards which was reasonalbe and the chicken cooked over the volcano is lovely. We also did a trip to Teguise market (Sundays) which was fun for a few hours and to the Rancho Texas Park which exceeded our expectations massively. It was a beautifully looked after and very well run place - I really recommend.
We flew home in the evening and were not able to stay in our apartment but they did arrange an alternative so at least the girls could nap. We did pay 30 euro for this though.
In conclusion, Sands was exactly what we wanted and made a holiday with two very young children relaxing and enjoyable for all concerned. I think we will certainly look at it again for next year.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Sands Beach Resort lies on the eastern coast of Lanzarote, 15 min from the airport, facing Los Charcos Beach and with direct access to the promenade. The Resort is provided of its own beach, 13 swimming pools (7 adults and 6 paddling), restaurants, pub, supermarket, gym, health center, internet, 24h reception, parking, tennis court, entertainment, etc. The apartments are very spacious and comfortable, with safe, tv-sat, microwave, fridge and freezer, oven, dishwasher, hairdryer, etc. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Jet2Holidays , Booking.com, Travel Republic (UK), Priceline, TravelUp, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd and Cancelon so you can book your Sands Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sands Beach Resort Lanzarote/Costa Teguise
- Sands Resort Lanzarote
- Sands Beach Villas Lanzarote
- Beach Lanzarote Resort Sands
- Sands Beach Lanzarote
- Sands Beach Villas Resort
- Sands Beach Hotel Lanzarote