“beware what is crawling in your bed!”
Review of Sands Beach Resort

Sands Beach Resort
Ranked #9 of 38 Hotels in Costa Teguise
Manchester, United Kingdom
“beware what is crawling in your bed!”
Reviewed 5 August 2011

This hotel is disgusting. My child's bed was crawling with bed bugs. Hygiene on this complex needs to be stepped up and brought to a 4star standard. I have stayed on this complex many times when it was Lanzarote Beach Club and the complex has deteriated to a disgusting dirty, badly maintained place. We were moved out of our room into another and did not even receive an apology from the management team. When approached about getting a report from the room they had the audacity to say they don't have bed bugs in Lanzarote it is the tourist that brings them in. The villa we stayed in that was infested with bed bugs is 14 LAS PALMERAS. I would advise you to stay well clear of this villa as no furniture was removed during our stay. The staff did not show any empathy during our stay and what was our annual holiday resulted in holiday from hell. This is now being followed up by my travel company.

Room Tip: Stay well clear of 14 Las Palmerasand check your bed and matresses
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
11 Thank susieq91

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (947)
  • Polish first
Chepstow
Reviewed 30 July 2011

Apartments are spacious & v well equipped. We have stayed here twice, both times in a beach front (BF) one bedroom apartment on a half-board basis. The feature that I really like about the room is that the double basin is outside the bathroom, really handy for families. There is plenty of wardrobe space & lots of mirrors.

You can sit on your apartment terrace & watch your kids play on the beach, just a few feet away. The resort is very clean, the staff are very helpful. There is free parking. There is a nice kiddies play area. The kiddies disco is joined by a dancing dog called "Buddy". There are always poolside activities kids can join in with.

The restaurant food is of a good standard. They also provide a take-away service. There are numerous pools all clean, all cold.

Room Tip: Beach front apartments are lovely
  • Stayed January 2011, travelled with family
7 Thank Sky35
Cardiff
Reviewed 19 July 2011

We recently returned from a 2 week stay with our two young daughters (7 mths and 2 years).
Apartment:
We booked a beachfront 2 bedroom apartment. Initially we were given 2 interconnecting 1 beds which were right at the end of the beachfront with no actual beach in front of them (this was partly because I had emailed in advance to ask for a quiet location). We requested to move and were able to do so by day 3 of our holiday and we had help to move our stuff, so no major problem. The apartment was great - lovely space with lounge, kitchen, twin room and bathroom downstairs, bathroom and double bedroom upstairs. Good to have a full sized fridge-freezer. We bought ice lollies etc and loads of space for cold drinks. No air con is an issue - it was REALLY hot some days - too hot really although the girls coped well. We had a fan which helped a little.
Beach:
Location unbeatable with little ones - 5 steps and you are on the very safe beach. There was a tap at our particular entrance to the beach too which was great for rinsing off sandy feet. We used the beach loads. The water is shallow and yes they do have a bit of a seaweed problem but to be honest we only used the first 4 foot of water which is completely clear. They were big boxes of toys, inflatables etc which people had left behind, but we were really dissapointed that these disappeared during our second week - no real explanation available.
Pools:
The pools were good. We mainly used the one up at the Mai Tai bar (accross the bridge in the centre of the lagoon). This was slightly heated and made a difference compared to the other non-heated ones on the complex. The bar there was nice and we joined in the Bingo etc some days. The bar staff were really friendly and welcoming at all times.
Restaurant:
We booked half board but were concerned about the evening meals from reading recent reviews, but we were pleasantly suprised. Breakfast was good, everything you fancied, although no cereal suitable for little ones so I had to buy my own box of weetabix. Nice to have plastic cutlery, bowls etc for them though and the staff were great with the girls. Evening meals offered lovely salads and the hot food included a selection of raw meats and fish which could be cooked to your liking. This included sardines, calamari and tuna steaks which were all lovely. Admittedly there was repetition but we anticipated this on a two week stay. Plenty of highchairs.
Entertainment:
Our daughters were a little too young for Buddy Club but it looked pretty good. In the evening we did go along to the Mini Disco (8:15-9pm) which our eldest adored - she still talks about "dancing with the lady" now. They get to meet Buddy the giant dog, do some Spanish and English dancing - it was much better than we expected and even allowed up to manage a quick drink at the bar after dinner, an unexpected treat! It also meant the girls were exhausted so slept well, allowing us a nice hour or so to relax on our patio with a glass of wine and cards etc.
Location/Trips:
We walked into the resort a few times - the beachfront way is tricky in parts with an average buggy because it is sandy. Nice beachfront cafes for icecreams etc. We had a hire care and did a trip to the volcano - go early and approach from the North to avoid queues. The bus trip was quite fun and manageable even with little ones. We has some lunch in the restaurant afterwards which was reasonalbe and the chicken cooked over the volcano is lovely. We also did a trip to Teguise market (Sundays) which was fun for a few hours and to the Rancho Texas Park which exceeded our expectations massively. It was a beautifully looked after and very well run place - I really recommend.

We flew home in the evening and were not able to stay in our apartment but they did arrange an alternative so at least the girls could nap. We did pay 30 euro for this though.

In conclusion, Sands was exactly what we wanted and made a holiday with two very young children relaxing and enjoyable for all concerned. I think we will certainly look at it again for next year.

11 Thank CardiffDoc
Hemel Hempstead, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 July 2011

We stayed here from June 21st 2011 for 2 weeks. Cannot fault the Sands Beach Resort in any way what soever. reception are there 24 hours and really friendly and helpful at all times. You have 2 restaurants + a bar on site with entertainment all day for the kids and evening entertainment at night, after 9pm for the adults. There is also a massage, hair salon, games room and gym plus tennis courts. Apartments are large and very well equipped even down to hair dryers iron and ironing board. Ours also had a dish washer (not that I used it). Maids came in every single day and mopped floors, emptied rubbish and left toilet rolls, and sheets were changed each week though you could request more often if needed. No air con but ceiling fans in living room and bedroom. The whole site is split up into 6 sepearte areas each with its own swimming pool and we were in Playa Verde. had out own patio with table chairs and umbrella also a sun lounger. Only saw 1 cockroach the whole fortnight but did have tiny ants in the kitchen sink a couple of times. I would recommend these apartments to anybody. Only down side for me was that other bars in the area do not have evening entertainment. Went on 2 trips one to the Sunday market and 1 to the South Tour both of which were great and good value for the money. All trips also pick up at reception which is very handy. Local bus service is also good at only 2.40 euro return trip to the capital of Arrecife which is worth a visit. In 8 years these were the best apartments I have ever stayed at. Only complaint from me was my pillow was lumpy.

Room Tip: Website gives you plans of all the rooms available. www.sandsbeach.eu
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank ruthgosden
west ireland
Reviewed 6 July 2011

We just spend the last week in June at Sands beach, having been recommended the place by friends of ours with children. I had been keeping an eye on the reviews here for the past few months and I have to say I was getting really worried as most commented on the place been very run down. Well we stayed at a 2 bedroom beachfront apt and I have to say it was spotless. We never seen a bug of any type whatsover and believe me my husband was trying to find the ants but we didnt get any. The apt was perfect for us, 3 kids, and the beachfront was fantastic. Its not a beach whatsover, more like a pond but for small kids its brillant as the water is shallow and warm so perfect for little ones. Our kids spent hours playing in the sand and paddling the water and then when we wanted a good swim we strollled over the bridge to the Mai Tai Pool and had a playaround there. The outdoor jacuzzi is lovely even if its freezing. The World Championship Wind Surfing championships were on in the beach behind sands beach and it was just fabulous to watch. You can walk along the path here to the the town of Costa Teguise, its a lovely stroll and the breeze is just fantastic. We landed at the airport and it was 36 degrees but the breeze made it so bareable. The kids club was fantastic and the disco and shows at night kept our kids highly entertained.
The only negative of our holiday was the night we were leaving, we had to get up at 4am to get our flight so I walked to the reception are the night before and asked them could I bring up our bags and leave them in the baggage room so would save us hassle in the morning. She said she would send down a porter to collect them when we were ready so I was delighted as it was a busy evening with the 3 kids. So I went back down and packed everything up except a small bag and then tried to ring to tell them the bags were ready. We rang for one hour and no one would answer the phone. Eventually it was answered at 10.05 and I was told no they wouldnt pick up the bags as the porters went off duty at 10. I explained that I was ringing since 9 but she was really horrible. I said it was fine and I would bring them up myself. 5 mins later she rang back to say she would send security to collect them so we wsat at the door to hand over the bags and then get to sleep as we had an early start. 1 hr later he arrived and was the rudest man i have ever meet, obviiously wasnt happy to be doing this. So I have to say it ended our holiday badly for us and it had all been so good.
Actually something else I am just thinking about, down at the beachfront we had our own buckets, spades etc but I noticed a trunk type box that had lots of spares in there from people who had gone home etc . Anyways, we got into a habit of leaving our stuff in the box along with everyone else and we got up one morning and the trunk was gone, taking away from the porters and ours and everyone elses buckets etc were gone. Would love to know why they did this?? Staff in the hacienda restaurant were terrible so we only ate there one, and my daughter got a pizza that was burnt to a crisp and we asked for a new one and this was a very big deal. Fab restaurants in town like El Patio, Divinia Italia, La Vaca Loca, La Hacienda and El Maestro. Very reasonable too.

Room Tip: I would definitely go for beachfront if you have small kids as so much for them to do.
3 Thank colleenmae
leeds
Reviewed 5 July 2011

Some comments on here suggest not a very good place to stay. However, really enjoyed our stay here and would return to the complex. Stayed in Plaza Verde and had paid for an upgrade - a few issues but nothing that spoiled our stay. A few cockroaches in the rooms, ants in the bathroom and drawer fronts wonky. Did request rooms together but were 2 mins walk apart. All in all although looks like could do with a lick of paint in places to be expected as close to the sea.
Very clean complex and pool areas lovely with plenty of sunbeds. Would suggest self catering as some outstanding restaurants in approx 15 mins walk and resaurant on site could soon become boring but depends on individual tastes. Travelled 4 adults and two children 6 and 9 and was a very pleasant holiday and stay at Sands Beach.

Room Tip: Pay for an upgrade!!
2 Thank noodlepotnoodle
Athlone, Ireland
Reviewed 2 July 2011

We recenty returned from a two week holiday and had a very enjoyable stay. We have two boys aged 14 & 3 and while the resort is aimed at younger children the older did enjoy himself too even if there was little for him to do.

We had a one bed apartment in the amarillo area (booked directly with the hotel) and this was adequate size for us all and with the pool litterly just outside your door it was perfect for the little guy who could safely run in and out as he pleased....

The apart was cleaned every day with fresh towels and sheets also. I understand that booking thru the hotel directly allows you this, as booking privatly thru the apart owner may not.

The reception staff were excellent, as good as I have encountered anywhere and indeed all the staff in the bars, the Mai Tai etc are to be commended as they do all they can to ensure you have an enjoyable time.

There were only couple of negatives. The Haicenda (on site restaurant) was very disapointing and we only ate their once. The food was poor with little choice.

The other small issue was the Tennis, if you wish to play and don't have your own rackets and balls with you (who would??) then it cost €13 for an hour. Needless to say it was empty almost all of the time.

The area is quiet in general and you feel safety both for you and your children and these days that is very important. Security are visible at the complex everynight.

There are some lovely restaurants down by the promenade and we ventured to these most nights. Try the crepes at El Molina for your dessert, really good!!

Final point I wish to make is about the Waterpark that we visited once. Its a rip-off and having been to quiet a few it was not a very good one either.

Overall a great holiday and we would go back.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family