“Fabulous Family holiday had by all !!!”
Review of Sands Beach Resort

Sands Beach Resort
Ranked #9 of 38 Hotels in Costa Teguise
Gloucester
“Fabulous Family holiday had by all !!!”
Reviewed 26 June 2009

Just got back from a week at the Sands beach resort and had to write a review as it was fantastic!

Check in was fast and easy and to our delight we had been upgraded to a Beach Front Apartment. Apartments were what we expected, fairly good size, clean, towels changed when you needed and great to have beach towels provided. Only 1 cockroach seen the whole time and outside the apartment. The private lagoon beach was very shallow and yes once you got past lower thigh height the water became a mossy under foot so as an adult or teenager you wouldn’t swim in it, but the first few meters were clear water and my 4 year old loved it as did all the other children on the beach. They could see the fish swimming near their feet and there were buckets & spades, rubber boats galore for the children to play with so no wasting 6 euros on a bucket only to leave it behind at the end of the holiday. Also sunbeds and umbrellas were free so no paying 8 euros a day as you would on the main beaches. I can also say that when the moss/seaweed started to creep up to the beach there was a man there like a shot to clear it all away and rake the beach! I felt my little girl was safe and we could really relax.

A lot of people had said that the pools were all freezing but we used the pool at the Mai Tai cafe on the complex and it was fresh but average temp for most Spanish pools I was glad of this as I wanted to cool off anyway. My little girl got in in the blink of an eye so it couldn't have been that cold.

We opted for the inclusive breakfast in the Hacienda Restaurant which was fine, not mitchelin stars but filled us up for the day and my little girl loved the mickey mouse shaped pancakes the waiter made for her every morning. We never ate there in the evening so can’t comment on the food in the evening. The food in the Mai Tai pool bar was good. We ate out every night but you do have to walk a good 10-15 minutes to find a decent restaurant.

The evening entertainment was cheesy but the kids love it and we usually popped in to keep the little one happy. The entertainment team seemed to get on well with the kids and adults alike and my daughter attended the kids club a few times but i wasn’t ready to leave her alone as she had only just turned 4. They seemed to act fairly responsible around the young ones but did work long hours from 10am until one 11pm.

All in all a great family resort especially if you have young children. Teenagers however would probably be bored and there is not much to do in Costa Teguise. Buses are frequent to Purto del Carmen and the Rancho Texas Park is worth a look for little ones.

If you are looking for a great family beach/pool holiday then this is the place for you. Don’t expect 4 star luxury but it is still at least 3 star plus I would say. We had a fabulous family holiday and could totally relax while our daughter played. I would definitely like to go back soon!

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
5 Thank Glosgirl76

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (930)
  • Polish first
Hampshire
Reviewed 7 June 2009

My wife booked this resort after a lot of research on the basis that we wanted some sun, didn't have a big budget, and wanted a rest.

Only after she booked it did I do some of my own research and what I found was not particularly to my liking: cold pools, dirty rooms, the alleged time share problems when the place had been Lanzarote Beach Club (I understand people lost a lot of money), and a load of stuff about grotty bars etc... etc. What had we done!??

So, after a long flight we arrived, and were allocated a room we had not booked. They said no problem they were just waiting for somene with a sick child to vacate and we would get our room the following day. They stuck to what they had said and we duly got our Plaza Montanna "villa". While it was a little dated and a tiny bit run down, it was actually just fine. What really ticked boxes for us was that we could sit by the pool and the kids could swim and play in the pool. We relaxed! The place was about 30% full so wasn't crowded, other folk seemed pleasant enough and the weather was fantastic.

Additionally, while you could have found nightlife, noise and cheap lager, the place was nice and quite and felt safe for families. I would think teenagers may get bored and I wouldn't like to go at the height of the season.

The organisation in terms of appartment servicing, cleaning, efficiency of reception was fantastic. There were always people cleaning, fixing and generally making sure the place ran properly.

The restaurants were ok, we found much nicer places to eat about 10minutes walk toward the main town.

The centre of the town seemed somewhat run down and rather cheap and horrible (english bars, all day breakfasts, tattoo parlours... you get the idea).

To sumarise I would say my expectations were low so I wasn't expecting much, however, the resort was actually fine and we had a lovely relaxing time.

Would I go back? Only on the basis of devil you know. There are loads of oher places to see and do. But as a non poolside type I did enjoy it.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with family
3 Thank andrew_jmdata
reading, berkshire
Reviewed 1 June 2009

I took my boys (aged 13 and 6) on my own on a recommendation to this resort. The place itself was not too bad - reasonably clean and well cared for but our first day turned into musical rooms! We had paid extra for a beach front villa because I had been told it would be a great place to lounge by the 'lagoon' and to allow the children to swim in relatively calm, shallow clear water. Unfortunately, the 'lagoon' was very much like a stagnant pond when we got there and was full of seaweed and algae. There was no way my kids would have gone in it, even if I'd let them! I went to ask to be moved and the receptionist gave me the key to another beach front room and told me to go have a look and see if it was any better! I don't think he got the fact that the room wasn't a problem the beach was! We went and looked at the second room but there were people still in it! I beat a hasty retreat! Then I was told I could have a pool view room as long as I signed a document saying I had 'chosen' to downgrade my room and wouldn't be seeking financial compensation from the resort directly! I wrote a statement saying I had chosen to downgrade as the beach was not as described and unsuitable for bathing at that time and would be taking this up with my UK travel agent when I returned.
Miraculously later that day there was a man fishing all the seaweed and algae out of the water - it did seem a little cleaner around the edges later in the week but would not recommend a beach front room for the extra cost.
Eventually having moved to the pool front room we managed to enjoy ourselves, however, the entertainment laid on was pretty lame! Although they tried hard they haven't got it quite it right - for example, one night they finished the pop quiz in the bar at 10.30pm. Karaoke was then billed to start straight after. At that time the bar was pretty much full with quite a nice atmosphere. We waited, and waited and waited. People started going and by 11.30 nothing was happening. Then all of a sudden (with about 6 people left in the bar) someone came out and asked if we'd like to sing in the karoake now! Too late!! The Mai Tai bar is quite pretty but was pretty deserted most of the time. And the pools were all freezing!!
Lanzarote is pretty windy most of the time...I had been here about 7 years ago and had forgotten this fact. I am very dark skinned but stupidly burned on the first day because I'd forgotten about the 'wind' effect - Take Care!!

Do an Island Tour to see the Volcanoes etc - worth a day out. Don't bother with the Aquarium in Costa Teguise - blink and you'll miss the fish...not worth the money! Karting good to do on a cloudy day (and there were a few) and we also went to Rancho Texas for the evening entertainment - pretty good value and good fun too.

I could say more and more but to be honest we could all pick holes in any holiday - it did what it needed to do - recharged a few batteries but didn't set my world on fire. I probably won't go back to the Canaries because I've been there and seen it - it's not exciting, quite a lot of the older generation around, and expensive.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank cestar
West Midlands
Reviewed 26 May 2009

So glad we chose this place - returned on 25th May. I always use tripadvisor to guide my holiday booking, and the number of positive reviews, and the value offered made us choose Sands Beach Resort for a 7 night break.

Checking in (11pm) was swift and friendly. The apartment they offered us (I'd booked a basic studio) looked a little too far from the pool with not much of a view. We were quickly upgraded to a larger apartment for a reasonable fee (€6 per night).

The apartment was immaculately clean, well furnished, and had a pleasant view of the pool and the sea. We had no intention of cooking (life's too short) but the facilities looked fine had we chosen to. Comfy bed, plenty of wardrobe space, spacious bathroom and a decent TV set.

Oh - and we didn't see a single cockroach the entire week.

Food & Drink
------------------
We only ate once in the restaurant for dinner as we prefer to go walkabout of an evening, but the food was OK. Well cooked and presented; just not really our cup of tea.

The Mai Tai bar was a great place to while away the day in the sun (and Lanzarote's inevitable gusty breezes) with very nice snacks and a good range of drinks.

The Soleil Bar (for evening drinks and entertainment) was relaxed and welcoming and we spent the end of most evenings there.

Downside is that drinks are pricier than the average for Costa Teguise. If that's a big factor for you, maybe Sands Beach might not be for you.

Entertainment & Staff
-----------------------------

Without a single exception, the staff were delightful, professional and smiled constantly (Yes that matters a lot to me). Probably the resort's best asset. Bar Staff were attentive and patient.

The entertainment team (The 'Animators') are a joyful banch of bright, friendly, enthusiastic nutters. Rocio and Ivo and the crew always had time to chat, play with children and involve you with their happy idiocy, without ever being pushy. Their cheesy routines would probably never get to Vegas, but we loved them.

We both have grown up kids so just went as a couple, but enjoyed watching the delight on the childrens' faces when the animators played with them and kept them occupied. All the mums and dads we spoke to raved about how good they were.

Location
------------

After some of the comments about the resort being "off the beaten track", we timed the walking distance to local places of interest. Bear in mind I'm an unfit, idle middle-aged old git, these are realistic timings:

Nearest beach (Los Charcos) - 3 mins
Nearest Centro Comercial (shops, bars & restaurants at Las Cucharas) - 5 mins
Main Centro Comercial (Costa Teguise itself) - 9 mins

It also has a small private beach - not exactly caribbean in quality, but worthy of any bucket and spade.

In conclusion, we had a wonderful holiday, and are planning to return later in the year.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Immersive_Traveller
highpeak
Reviewed 25 May 2009

Every year we go back to sands beach, ideal self catering apartments with own outside eating/sunbathing/chilling place, pools close by, I find it has the best of both worlds out the back nr the lagoon takes you to yhe beach and wonderful quiet walk into the main costa teguise beach/shops/bars, or out the front of hotel close to bus stop to almost anywhere or taxi,s if you prefer, Yes it can be windy but the canaries are a windy place, but its a bonus when it is very hot !! One review complains about the mass of children , i suggest they go in term time, I didnt have that problem, I will be going there again this year in september time, and looking forward to taking my first and only grandchild, to share in the loveley place, ps maid service is great, stafff friendly, entertainment ok but i ,like to do my own thing anyway, so a good peaceful holiday if you want it, or join in with the activities etc if you choose.

• Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank dranny
Celtic Challanger
Reviewed 22 May 2009

"Sands Beach is not an Hotel "was the blunt comment I got when querying the room I had been giving. Having booked half board we were surprised to find our accomodation a self catering chalet fitted out like a caravan. The evening meals £15 each booked in advance were basic buffet with little variation. On two occasion my wife and I were the only diners in the La Hacienda restaurant. Capacity 267 persons. The Sands Beach has 364 apartments cramed together. The British equivilent of a glorified caravan site. Now over 25 years old the out dated design lacks any spirit and focus of what type of visitor it caters for. The staff are efficient and friendly but be aware of the remote location of Sands Beach resort with the costal promenade to Teguise treacherous underfoot and not suitable for childrens buggies or mobility scooters especially in the high winds experienced. Do not be put off by the cockroaches in the rooms. The chemical spraying works a treat. As with every holiday you pay your money and takes your choice. I just wish I spent my £1600 at another location. After ten years of visiting the Island its goodbye Lanzarote for me.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Generous107
Tenerife
Reviewed 19 May 2009

I always stay at the Sands Beach when in Lanzarote and find the staff and Hotel itself to be of a high standard. My daughter especially enjoyed her time at the Buddy Club.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled on business