“Wonderful holiday”

Hotel Coronas Playa
Ranked #4 of 38 Hotels in Costa Teguise
Reviewed 11 July 2014

Absolutely fabulous hotel, the all inclusive food was excellent. Wonderful choice every day and beautifully presented. Well worth the money, the staff were also exempliary,. We are in our 60s and it was ideal for our age and older, maybe not ideal for younger people.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
8  Thank brackenbeau
Write a ReviewReviews (2,578)

Reviewed 9 July 2014

I will start of by saying that the staff and the hotel are superb and unrivalled. If you need help, it is always at hand and it comes with the politeness and friendliness you'd expect of a four star hotel. The hotel has two amazing pools, bars and the restaurant serves amazing food - if you aren't wanting anything large for Lunch but want a snack, you can get burgers and toasties as well as other snacks from the pool bars, until the restaurant opens for the evening meal.

Reasons I would never go to this hotel again...

1) The Age-Range of the guests

I know this is an adult-only hotel, but honestly there were very few people under the age of seventy when we were staying here. As I stayed in one of the suites, we weren't really around the other guests unless we walked round to the pool, it was avoidable but please DO expect evil looks if you dare to swim in the swimming pool. Also, the 'frail and delicate' who need a wheelchair in the airport and who will act as ill as can be, will RUN up the stairs to lunch and have no problems hoisting themselves up and walking back and forth to the bar. The guests that were there at the same time as us, were also very rude; not at all caring about other guests as long as they were sorted (by this I mean putting towels down on sunbeds from 7am, even though it is clearly stated that you can't reserve sunbeds) they will also take up tables in the Restaurant by putting glasses and things down, but then spend forty minutes talking to others as opposed to actually using their table... Rude!

2) Entertainment, or lack...

I believe the delightful duo were called "Les and Lesley" (forgive me if I'm wrong) but as this elderly woman came onto stage, slagging off other artists in the charts and then surprised us with the vocals of a Blackpool pub singer, you would at least expect her to not be completely incompetent where it comes to singing. In a mix of cringey sing-alongs and her partner standing miserably in the corner of the stage, with a face that looks like he has seen Hell and returned - I had to leave early, to save my eardrums from perforating.

Additional note: There was also a delightful singer-wannabe/comedian (though I use the word comedian with caution) that had been flown in especially for us Thomson Gold guests... I'm 21 and I swear the jokes were older than me. I don't know what was worse about this 'entertainer' the terrible singing which escaped his mouth, or the humour which was lacked.

DO NOT GO IN THE PAVILLION IF YOU LIKE NOT BEING BORED TO DEATH

I did enjoy the holiday except for the two points mentioned above, I would definitely recommend the Catlanza Platinum excursion, but the Dunehopper one was awful unless you like being on a hot coach and talked to rudely.

I give this hotel a 3/5, but would recommend booking excursions or going to the beach unless you want to be bored.

Also, we did see cockroaches at this hotel, not in our room but near the small pool area where the turtles reside.

Room Tip: Seaview suites are the best, there are only six so book up early as they are away from the cockroach...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank lsparker93
Reviewed 9 July 2014

I went with a friend for a week and wished it could have been longer. This is a very good hotel with two lovely pools and very good choice of food in the spotless restaurant. The staff are very helpful and our room had twin beds with a seperate lounge area leading onto a balcony with a sea view. The entertainment was good and varide. We could always find a sunbed and the pool bar was well stocked with all you would want, I recomend you book half board and upgrade the day after you get there. Good WIFI conection which you have to get a code for every three days and it is free. The only money we spent was when we walked into the town (15 mins) to do some shopping. It only takes 15mins transfer from the airport. I would recomend this hotel as it is a holiday you will want to repeat many times.

Room Tip: Top floor overlooking lower pool, there are lift.
5  Thank Bard69
Reviewed 9 July 2014

The hotel was lovely food was excellent a wide choice to have staff were very friendly and we found a lot of people returned to the same hotel year after year the rooms were big and had everything you needed the cleaner was so good and every time we returned to the room she had turned our towel or flannel into a shape which we found great , the entertainment was ok but we didn't always stay for this as seemed repetitive ,the connection for the wifi was not good the reception was hit and miss so couldn't always get connected

Room Tip: We had a room that was on the ground floor but would have liked a better view we didn't have any...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank lesley t
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Just had a week in the Coronas Plya lovely hotel, staff were all nice very polite and helpfull The food was excellent with a good choice, the fresh fish which was cooked to order was delicious.
The rooms were spotless the mattress was too hard for me when I asked at reception if it was possible to get a softer one with in half an our I had a topper on the bed. There was 2 pools one quiet, one with a bit of music loads of space between sunbeds. Entertainment at night a bit cheesy but Thomson reps did their best to entertain us. Would definately recommend this hotel.

3  Thank mariea n
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Not long back from staying at this Thomson Gold Hotel, which fully exceeded my expectations. Not a lover of the 'Package Tour' in the past, this experience has possibly changed my opinion. Rooms were very large, balcony large with table and chairs and airer for washing. Cleanliness was excellent, rooms serviced to a high standard. Food was excellent, I was on an all inclusive package, so lunch was available if required, chosen from a menu, apart from starter and dessert. Toasted sandwiches, burgers, hot dogs available at pool bars till 5.30. As much as I love children, it was nice to stay at an adult only hotel. Plenty of sunbeds available, so no dawn dashes to put out towels (not permitted anyway, no unattended beds allowed before 10am) entertainment was excellent, plenty going on down at the bottom pool in the day if you want to join in, or just watch, or there's always the top pool if you just want to relax in peace. Couple of supermarkets to the left and right of the hotel on the main road if you need anything. I wouldn't buy any booze at the airport on the way out if you want something for your room, it's cheaper in resort. Overall excellent stay, if it wasn't for the fact that I do like to try new places I would not have any hesitation in returning here or recommending it. But who knows I may return.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the top pool would be my choice.
2  Thank Linda M
Reviewed 6 July 2014

Just returned from another great Thomson Gold holiday. We asked for a quiet room on the top floor and our request was met with a lovely room overlooking the pool. The rooms are huge with a large balcony equipped with table and chairs and sun loungers, which was great as we could still enjoy the evening sunshine whilst on our own balcony. Our only complaint about the room was the lack of any toiletries in the bathroom apart from a soap dispenser. What was great was the fact that any towels left on sunbeds unattended early in the morning were removed by the staff so we didn't have to get up at 6 a.m. to get a sunbed by the pool. The food was very good as was the entertainment. We especially enjoyed The Drifters tribute band and the Chinese acrobats. All the staff were very friendly and helpful too. The Coronas Playa is a great hotel in a lovely location close to the sea and a promenade and one we would certainly recommend.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family