“Not an All Inclusive hotel/resort!”

Hotel Beatriz Costa & Spa
Ranked #20 of 38 Hotels in Costa Teguise
Reviewed 26 November 2013

Having been to a few AI resorts in recent years, I was very disappointed with the Hotel Beatriz as they don't to all inclusive at all well. Is it basically full board with free local drinks and some sandwiches wrapped in clingfilm in the afternoon should you get a little hungry! Nothing else is included as you have to pay for towels, a safe in the bedroom, and if you want to use the fridge in your room, it's 3 euros a day!

The hotel is definitely not a four star and as other reviewers have said, is really in need of refurbishment with it's 1980's-90's styling. As and AI guest I felt that we were constantly interrupting the staff's day by asking for drinks and to have one bar open and one restaurant available at certain times and no food after 10.15pm in an AI resort was disappointing to say the least. The piano bar was staffed by just one person, so there was a queue up to the point where she was serving and when i went and stood at the (rotund) bar waiting to be served, she made me rejoin the queue!!

The saving grace of our week's holiday was the food in the main restaurant which was excellent. The breakfasts were superb, the lunches varied and the dinner menus were fab.

Can also recommend a visit to Bodega Marcello (overlooking the beach) in Teguise (5 euros in a cab or a 15 min walk) where you can get a proper Mojito and live (local) entertainment from one of the owners who will serenade you!

Would go back to Teguise, but next time it's the Melia Beach resort for me.

Room Tip: Ask for 5th floor and above, either side of the entertainment bar
2  Thank jmack61

Reviewed 22 November 2013

The Hotel was clearly designed, built and furnished as a high-end exclusive Spa resort, rather than a 'All-Inclusive 'cheap' hotel, and while the decor is showing a few signs of wear & tear, it really is impressive. The enormous atrium is full of tropical plants, trees, ferns & creepers, even featuring a waterfall cascading at one end.

Rooms were a nice size,comfortable and well equipped, with air con, a good maid service& TV. Thanks to visiting my sister in Spain I know that you can change the language of most programs to what they were made in i.e. English. Great views from the roomy south-facing balconies too, overlooking the pool side of the building and across to Araciefe. My only gripe was a lack of hangers but a query at reception and further hangers were supplied. You also have to pay for a safe and can pay extra to use the fridge for 3 euros a day!!

Pools were good. One warm one not!, no shortage of sun loungers unless down just before lunch but always found some free.This despite the hotel being at full capacity. There was also entertainment if you wanted to participate organised but they did accept "no". . Unfortunately I did not use the Spa but if full board you can use their pools for 2 hours which include massage pool and current swim for free.

Food and drink were not good!
The food was Buffet plenty of it but not the best food! Did not find the themed restaurant (off the back of the main restaurant) until after 3 days, due to lack of information. The staff in restaurant were friendly but run off of their feet as clearly not enough of them for this busy restaurant. You often had to wait for tables to be available as tables were waiting to be cleared & relaid, despite the waiting staff whizzing round as fast as they could. Plates and glasses were often in short supply too. For us it was a mild annoyance, but one or two folks found this intolerable.

We weren't All Inclusive and therefore paid for our drinks with meals. In the restaurant bottle of wine £10 upwards. One night we bought 2 drinks in the bar: 1 rum and coke and 1 Disaronno and coke that came to 16 Euros. 2 euros 50 each for the cokes!! A bit pricey but thanks to the local Spar with reasonably priced alcohol we didn't do that again! The hotel obviously would prefer all to be All Inclusive as drinking is expensive!!!.

The entertainment was a bit cheesy, and not of the highest quality, but we've seen worse. However due to the high prices to drink in the bar we didn't worry too much about this.

If the restaurant food was of a better quality and the drink prices were more reasonable we would return despite its location at the back of the resort. The actual hotel was impressive. I think the management should re-think their aim. I think it should be a high end Spa hotel but they need to sort the restaurant!!
The location is nice and quiet and views amazing but it is a walk to restaurants /shops and the beach! There is a courtesy bus to counter act this which is handy but not frequent enough. 3 times a day only! However the 15 minute walk was not too bad! If you have difficulty with walking or don't like walking this hotel would not be for you.

Room Tip: We were on the 2nd floor and once door shut the noise from atrium was not too bad but you could hear...
3  Thank Lisa Jane B
Reviewed 22 November 2013

This is a huge hotel up on the hill above Costa Teguise in Lanzarote. I reckon there are over 600 rooms and when we arrived last Monday at about 12pm we were told that it was full. Check in is not until 3pm so we were not concerned and headed for the bar, however there is only one bar open during the day between 10am and 6pm and that is the pool bar. We get there and we are still wearing our UK warmer clothes and the women behind the bar is happy to make us coffee and serve us two brandy's. The coffee comes in cups with nice sugar packs and the brandy in plastic cups. She then asks me for payment and I show her my blue AI wrist band, well! Her whole manner towards me changed and I was curtly told that in future AI guests should get coffee from the machine. Not for the first time we were discover that AI guests are second class citizens here at the Dull Hotel Beatriz Costa & Spa.
Fortified with a couple of brandy's and several coffee's FROM THE MACHINE we went to reception and got our room key. Room 541 is DULL and in poor repair with veneer pealing off the wardrobe doors and loose light fittings, broken coat hangers, and dirty DULL almost blue bed spreads.. We decide to phone reception and get something done but there is absolutely no information in the room at all, least of all the telephone number for reception, it's 2200 in case any one wants to know, who could have guessed?
There is no fridge in the room, no tea or coffee, no kettle, no welcome pack, no nothing. The view is splendid to the south west over the pool area and the mountains.
Eventually housekeeping and the handyman attend to 'fix things'. The bed spreads are changed, the broken hangers taken away and never replaced, the handyman fiddles with the light fittings but cannot fix them. He glues down the flaking veneer. The bathroom is re-cleaned and the room doesn't look to bad.
Lunch in the pool bar and the main restaurant is buffet style. Food is typical and plentiful but uniformly cold or just warm. This is the same for breakfast, lunch and dinner. It's not bad but frequent trips to the microwave are required.
Machine tea/coffee, sour dry white wine and sour red wine, local beer and machine soft drinks are available and plentiful. Once again AI guests are treated completely differently from regular guests. Staff are brisk and business like but they respond with smiles when spoken too.
When it gets a bit cool in the afternoons a breeze gets up and you have to adjourn indoors but until 6pm the only place to go that has a supply of tea/coffee, soft and alcoholic beverages, is the pool bar and this gets very full. It would be nice if there was another bar open or just a coffee shop somewhere inside the hotel. I miss decent coffee.
Most of the shops and concessions in this massive hotel are closed. The Spa is an extra. There appears to be a childrens club although I have not visited it.
The Animation Team try valiantly to get guests involved in Mini Golf, Stretching, Darts, Air Rifle Shooting and so on.
Evening entertainment ranges from excellent vis Kings of Music to dire a Miss Miss competition and everything in between. There is no disco or night club for late revelers.
The best bar is the piano bar which opens at 6pm and serves beer in real glasses. We have heard the piano being played only once. It closes at 11pm regardless of how many guests are using it.
The local gin is awful and there is no slimline tonic (Diet).
Pool towels are obtained via reception on payment of a deposit of ten euro per towel and you get a white ticket that entitles you to change your towel once in a week, really! Honestly I am not making this up.
The internet is available, it's a bit slow, on payment of 2 euro for 10 minutes, 7 euro per day or 20 euro per week, per machine/device. I think DULL Hotel Beatriz Costa & Spa owners/managers have forgotten that this is the 21st century.
I am very glad we did not bring our respective wives because they would both have been unhappy with this place.
Room cleaning is variable in quality, one day our room was not vacuumed but we got the swans mentioned in another review in our bathroom sinks. Today the they vacuumed the room and changed the sheets but no swans and glasses left over from last evening were not removed.
The Dull Hotel Beatriz Costa & Spa is nowhere near anywhere and its a ten minute walk to the nearest shops and about 30 minutes to the beach. Costa Teguise is just as I remember it from last time I was here except there are less Spanish people and more Asian and Oriental shop keepers. The shops are the usual kinds of shops that you find in this kind of resort and as long as you want T shirts, cigarettes, booze and useless ornaments you will be fine. There are loads of electronic shops but almost no prices on display so buyer beware.
Ferrari's Bar in Costa Teguise is well worth a visit. We went there to watch England get beat by Germany and had a great steak and good beer. They have draft Strongbow as well. At the end of our evening the owner gave us a lift back to our hotel. Nice man.
We have just done the 'Short South Half Day Bus Tour', cost 40 euro for 2, which consisted of more than 3 hours collecting and dropping off people and then about 2 hours touring the National Park. The volcano's are awesome and well worth a visit.
I would not recommend this hotel to anyone and I would suggest choosing somewhere else if you are coming to Lanzarote.

Room Tip: People we spoke to about rooms say the best ones are on the sixth floor.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
6  Thank slueth50
Reviewed 21 November 2013

well this was my 3rd time hear and there has been a few changes , no more free bottles of drinking water , no more bottles of white , red or rose wine , and Que's at the bars to get a drink , First the restaurants you used to get wine bottles for your table , now you have to go to some cheap tap and pour 1 glass at a time , and you have to ask for rose wine, and some of the waiting staff don't even want to get it for you, bottles of water has been replaced by a water dispenser machine and the water dose not taste nice, and the one that got me was the ques at the bars at night , they used to have a few bar staff all friendly and happy to serve you , now you get 1 person behind the bar , and the normal is that you get a couple going to the bar for a drink , when really only one need go up , the Que looks twice as long, the food is still good and the rooms are a great size , shame about the cut backs tho and lack of staff

Room Tip: all the room I have slept in are great , no noise and large , lots of room and they all face the poo...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank tws137
Reviewed 20 November 2013

Just back after a week at the Beatrix spa,had a great week ,bed rooms cleaned daily,loved the towels made up like swans ,maids do the hotel proud.staff in general were all very efficient and hard working.was all inclusive and there was always plenty of choice.the spa is a nice chill out ,needs a wee bit of a touch up though .entertainment was a bit of a let down until our last night when the KINGS OF MUSIC arrived what singers they were ,on for an hour and boy did they entertain ,,great singers
Yes I would return,read a lot of the negative reviews before I left and it makes me wonder what people expect,yes it's 15 minute walk down town but its a nice walk and it's only a 3 euro taxi back if you don't like the walk,
Good crack in the square in town, and the guys that entertain in the Lighthouse very good
Overall good holiday

3  Thank Dodd49
Reviewed 16 November 2013

Just returned from 1 week all inclusive, and had a great time.

The Hotel was clearly designed, built and furnished as a high-end exclusive Spa resort, rather than a 'pile it high sell it cheap' hotel, and while the decor is showing a few signs of wear & tear, it really is impressive. The enormous atrium is full of tropical plants, trees, ferns & creepers, even featuring a waterfall cascading at one end. We never tired of the views inside this area.

Rooms were comfortable and well equipped, with air con, a good maid service and very responsive maintenance (our curtain was a bit stuck & they repaired it within 12 hrs of us reporting it). Great views from the roomy south-facing balconies too.

Pools were good (warm), no shortage of sun loungers (even though the hotel was at full capacity). The Spa is excellent (free daily visit if you're all inclusive) and treatments good value from great staff.

Food and drink were good - a decent range of (predominantly) Spanish cuisine with a full range of breakfast options. The AI drinks option was extensive (1st place I've been that included alcohol-free beer in the deal) although the cocktails are the sugary pre-mix ones unless you want to fork out for the proper cocktails. I'd strongly recommend going all inclusive as I heard the prices of food & drink were extremely high for people on the B&B or HB options.

We found all of the staff helpful, friendly and hard-working, but (1st niggle) there simply aren't enough of them, particularly in the dining room. We often had to wait for 3 or 4 minutes while dozens of tables were waiting to be cleared & relaid, despite the waiting staff whizzing round as fast as they could. Plates and glasses were often in short supply too. For us it was a mild annoyance, but one or two folks found this intolerable.

My 2nd niggle is only relevant to dirty smokers like me. The only designated smoking area consists of 4 tables & 2 ashtrays in an unlit area by the back doors - in pitch darkness after 11pm. I know we smokers are pariahs these days, but would a slightly less unwelcoming area be too much to ask?

The entertainment was cheesy, and not of the highest quality, but we've seen worse.

Well definitely go back, but if you're the sort of person who isn't prepared to wait a few minutes now and again, it might disappoint.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Immersive_Traveller
Reviewed 11 November 2013

The hotel is situated a little bit out of the town but we didn't find that a problem - a quick 10 minute walk or 3.65 in a taxi. The room was nicely decorated, but we had 2 single beds individually made up, pushed together instead of a double bed. The air conditioning was a great, very used, facility The bathroom had a double sink and a fantastic shower- but I had a bath 1 evening and I could see a lot of black mildew under the handles.
We went all inclusive for the week as it seem to be good value. I am sure that as a large busy hotel they have a significant amount of vegetarians, but they serve very little in the way of meat free options. The buffet food generally had a card with the name of the food on- but not always. It also didn't signify if the food was veggie friendly- I spotted some bacon in the pasta I was about to eat. By the 3rd day I was tired of the food, and I ended up eating bread and fruit for the rest of the week.
The pool area was amazing! There was 2 massive swimming pools and a children's pool. Plenty of sun beds and very sheltered from the wind. The all looked spotlessly clean.
The entertainment was, at points, so cheesy it was hilarious. The Michael Jackson impersonator was top notch though. The entertainment team put a lot of work into what they do and should be applauded.

Room Tip: Choose a room away from the large entertainment area as the noise travels upwards
1  Thank Emer B
#2 of 4 in Puerto Calero
H10 Suites Lanzarote Gardens
H10 Suites Lanzarote Gardens
#2 of 38 in Costa Teguise

Been to Hotel Beatriz Costa & Spa? Share your experiences!