“WOW Factor”

Hotel Beatriz Costa & Spa
Ranked #20 of 38 Hotels in Costa Teguise
Reviewed 23 February 2014

This hotel certainly has the wow factor , plainly visible from miles around this could be the "Oasis of the Seas" of hotels. Reception is six stories high with a large curved wall above which twinkles with coloured lights at night. Either side are two full height atriums, the smaller containing shops , comfortable seating areas, palm trees , rocks and a stream leading to a bamboo island bar. Early evening entertainment here is low key, perhaps a singer or pianist. Free Wifi is also available here.
The larger atrium overlooked by the restaurant is even more spectacular with a waterfall at the far end feeding a stream which flows it's full length there are palm trees , plants , rocks and ivy vines tumbling down from each floor as in the smaller atrium. This is the venue for the late night entertainment with a dance floor, bar and bridges leading to different levels, where you will find plentiful comfortable seats. Three glass lifts allow you to enjoy this stunning scene every time you go to and from your room. Off to the side are games rooms , and the entrance to the lovely spa at the far end.
Outside the grounds are extensive with a massive array of swimming pools, pool bar, tennis and boule courts, mini golf and plentiful sun beds. All landscaped with palm and cactus.
Let me make this plain before I start nit picking , If I were the type of holiday maker to return to the same place over and over again I would always consider returning, we had a lovely week.
Right now the critique;
ROOMS;
I did not find them dated as some have suggested, they are of a good size with two large singles together making a big double. Two chairs and a table, vanity unit with chair, large mirror glass wardrobes. Good sized bathroom with bath , shower, two sinks toilet and bidet. All balconies have a sea view, table and two chairs and are attractively planted with succulents. Housekeeping policy is a little disappointing, our maid was clearly rushed off her feet and it seems to be policy to make beds, dust tops and change towels if required daily. It seems it is not policy to hoover once you have taken up residence, bearing in mind the volcanic nature of Lanzarote you can imagine how dusty and gritty the carpet gets during your stay. If you are an early to bed person bear in mind, all rooms are accessed from corridors open to the atrium so obviously you get entertained whether you want to be or not, however after 11 / 11-30pm the hotel falls silent and a good nights sleep is guaranteed.

RESTAURANT;
Clean and well presented with nicely uniformed Spanish staff. Pleasantly overlooks the atrium. Food is average buffet fayre, with a good selection, some like the soup and fresh crusty bread delicious, some not so. However most complaints lay in this area. Half board guests are expected to buy their drinks at dinner, nobody tells you how to pay so you assume it's billed to the room until the surly maitre dis slaps a bill in front of you and demands payment before you leave. In fairness I have come across this before but why is it you can eat for England totally free but a small glass of juice or water will be charged ? I loathe this policy, I understand charging for alcohol , even coffee if they must, but really water / juice .??? One service that should be a nice touch is that if you require an early breakfast (restaurant opens at 8) because of early excursions you are able to register at reception the day before to ensure you go out fed and full. This sounds great in theory, in practice however we were confronted with a full selection of salad, cereal and fruit with no milk and worst of all a chef surely related to Basil Fawlty who refused to provide a simple jug of cold milk, serve any kind of cooked food and even turned off the toaster with my wife's toast still in it all the time shouting at the guests "8 o'clock,8 o'clock, no serve to 8 o'clock !!!" It would be funny under any other circumstance, I managed to get two fried eggs off him using menaces, I am big and hairy :-) However an extremely important British public figure from the very recent past (no I will not name him he's a lovely chap and deserves privacy) was screamed at and had to satisfy himself with snitching a boiled egg !!! This seems to be a repeat complaint in these reviews and Beatriz management should take note and make ammends.

DECOR;
This was built as a statement building it is impressive in every way, there is even an architects model in the reception area. At present Beatriz management are just getting away with penny pinching on it's maintenance and cleaning, atrium windows could do with more regular cleaning, the odd spot of peeling paint touched up and the red stair carpet should be replaced as its starting to go through on the treads. This building deserves better, look after it !

LOCATION,
For outdoors people like us this is a fantastic location, no views of other peoples apartments or bins here, just magnificent views and lots of space. The pleasant resort centre of Costa Teguise is only a 15 minute stroll away and the rock strewn paths into the wilderness and Mount Corona (235mts) are right on the hotels doorstep. It's a fantastic location for walkers, mountain bikers and ordinary holiday makers alike, even if you don't like walking the hotel does provide a gratis bus.

Room Tip: Rooms off the small atrium quieter
4  Thank Rob B

Reviewed 21 February 2014

We booked the Beatriz as a last minute winter break. Should have researched more before booking, the hotel has a very nasty virus going around and within 24 hours 2 out of our party of 3 were very ill. The 3rd member of our party then fell ill on the 4th day of our one week stay. We were initially put into a room on the 5th floor just off the balcony over the glass atrium, with the nightly entertainment down in this area, the noise was disturbing to say the least. We did ask to be moved and this happened, ask for numbers after 147 on the 1st floor, 247 on the 2nd floor, 347 on the third floor etc etc if you wish to sleep before 12 midnight!! Once we were over our sick bug the food was disappointing, left out for long periods, not warm enough....we ate little....best to go into town for dinner! The rooms are basic, my daughters mattress on the additional bed had no mattress cover and when we stripped the bed on leaving the mattress was shockingly stained....very glad she didn't know what she was sleeping on at the time!! We would not return to The Beatriz and hope to find something a little more intimate on our next visit to Lanzarote.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 February 2014 via mobile

Having just stayed for a week all inclusive I have to say it's not a 4 star,the hotel itself looks nice the rooms are basic enough,having arrived there on the first night we were put in arguably the worst room in the hotel,having asked for a sea view room we were put in a room on the 1st level,the electric swipe card was broke so as we were on our honey moon I asked to be moved only to be told we couldn't be accommodated,so I went to the desk again and eventually we were moved to a nicer room 1037 which in fairness was ok,and we even got a free bottle of champagne for our troubles which was a nice touch the food was a hit and miss,plenty there but I suppose that's expected with an all inclusive anyway,rooms were cleaned everyday which was good,cleaning lady's very nice,waiters very nice,out of the bar staff there were probably two who were nice the rest of them should not be working there very ignorant,one of those the guy with the long hair the tall fella started shouting and roaring at me in front of guests because I took a fork off a table,to be honest only for I was with my wife and embarrased I would of probably let rip on the guy,he was very lucky trust me!having read some reviews I wonder was I actually at the hotel because our bathroom was bad in fairness,would I go back probably not

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 February 2014

Having read some earlier reviews I was a bit worried about this hotel although I only stayed for four nights. What I found was a very clean well presented hotel which only needs attention in a few areas to warrant an excellent rating.
First impressions are good the reception area is impressive and the staff efficient but some could be more helpful. To be fair the member of staff that I saw had only been working there for two weeks but he did not offer any extra information such as the safe in the room hire of pool towels procedure in the restaurant etc.
The room was lovely, very spacious and with a balcony and sea view. I would say every room offers a sea view but some better than others.
I had read reviews about rooms near the entertainment area which we were (228) but since this all finished at 11.30pm there was no problem.
There are a few small things that would improve the hotel and be a pleasing addition to the facilities. First of all there was a fridge in the room which was plugged in and working but to be able to use this would have meant an extra daily charge. Why?!! Also it would have been nice to provide a kettle and tea/coffee making facilities, something I would expect in a 4* hotel. The food was very good and for the four nights which I stayed there was always plenty of variety and very well presented. We stayed half board and bought the house wine which was very acceptable. The All inclusive choice has normally proved to be of poor quality in other hotels in the Canary Isles but I cannot speak for this one.
My last comment is about the main staircase leading to all the upper floors. Beautiful marble staircase with traditional Spanish furnishing on the first flight but why oh why is the carpet still there? It has long since seen better days and is an accident waiting to happen. It is frayed on every step and I would suggest that any lady wearing heals avoids these stairs like the plague!

5  Thank Marion B
Reviewed 19 February 2014

we were a bit worried about some of the comments we had read before we left but we found in our experience unfounded.we thought hotel was great like ones in vegas,large clean pool area ,awesome spa which takes 2 hours to go round,good food with lots of choice,no queues even at bar,nice clean room with marble bathroom,nice view over pool area and mountains from balcony.staff were helpful with quick check in.bar staff were a bit po faced but were working long hours,pool bar all day then evening bar.beach was about 15 minute walk or you could get free bus.we are definately going again.

Room Tip: we had 5th floor room near lift which was fine with us
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Carol S
Reviewed 18 February 2014

Travelled to Teguise trying not to feel pessimistic after having read so many worrying reviews about this hotel. Here's the real story....the hotel is lovely, huge and generally in good condition. The stair carpet is in a very poor condition and should be taken up as it gives a bad impression. The hotel is large, high ceilings, hanging plants, rock pools...very picturesque.

Far from being rude and uninformative, we found the Reception staff very friendly, helpful and polite on every occasion we visited them but particularly on checking in.

Our room was at the far end of the second floor balcony Room 205 and it was very peaceful (you could hear a pin drop) even in the evenings when the cabaret was in full swing. Like other reviews say, some of the rooms centre balcony can be noisy as the stage is just below the balcony but I think the hotel are quite careful about who they put where and those more likely to stay up late and join in the fun and dancing are put in these rooms.

Our room was bright and airy, good aircon, comfy beds, great view over the pools and across to the hills. The balcony was cosy and private and we sat out for a drink and read several times.
The bathroom was a surprise! All grey marble, recently refurbed by the look of it, clean and well equipped. It was really lovely with a separate walled off area for the actual loo and bidet. It had grey marble his n hers sinks and a lovely hot powerful shower. Couldn't knock a thing!

The breakfast was plentiful with lots of choice. The reason your food gets cold is the distance you have to travel about brandishing your plate while you find everything you want on it! The quality of the food is very good and a lot of stuff is fresh. Note: the morning juices are not powder based!! You can even have sangria on tap for breakfast if you wish, really everything is there for the taking.

The downside for people who don't like walking much is the distance from the main resort, bars, restaurants etc. It is a trek and one which we did everyday, twice a day, clockig up about 6 miles a day. Kept us fit I have to say but it is difficult for some people.

All in all, I would recommend this hotel and if you are all inclusive and just want to crash out and stay put, it has all you need for a perfect relaxing time.

Room Tip: Either end of balconies for peace and quiet
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Janet N
Reviewed 17 February 2014

We were staying in this hotel for a week. Rooms were tired and needing some refurbishment. Bed sheets seemed to have holes in them. Maintenance does not seem to be kept on top of. Cleaning is very basic of the rooms, ie balconies are not touched all week. The hotel was very busy and the hotel seemed very understaffed. No cups and glasses left at meal times, no spare cutlery if you needed a 2nd knife. Bars were understaffed and at night you had to queue to get a drink.
Lovely big pool areas but unfortunately the heating in the pool did not seem to be working. Also a jacuzzi which never had any bubbles.
Spa was nice but again needed some tlc. Entertainment was not great, our room was above the main area but the noise never bothered us. Would not return to this hotel.

1  Thank fefitrix
#2 of 4 in Puerto Calero
H10 Suites Lanzarote Gardens
H10 Suites Lanzarote Gardens
#2 of 38 in Costa Teguise

Been to Hotel Beatriz Costa & Spa? Share your experiences!