“A well located hotel with spacious apts. and efficient, friendly staff.”

Apartamentos Galeon Playa
Ranked #13 of 38 Hotels in Costa Teguise
London, United Kingdom
“A well located hotel with spacious apts. and efficient, friendly staff.”
Reviewed 24 August 2013

We stayed on a half board basis and were pleasantly surprised by the high standard of food on offer in the hotel restaurant, which is located overlooking the sea. The restaurant staff were always very polite and friendly and made our meal times a real pleasure.

The most spacious one bedroom apartment that we stayed in, came with lounge and fully fitted kitchen, including fridge, cooker and kettle. It was most comfortable with a large terrace that overlooked the pool.

The nearby beaches are all very close by, however the strong winds of Lanzarote's Costa Teguise made it very unpleasant to sunbathe or swim. Sand and wind are not a good combination. The small town is all purpose built and sadly lacks any of the real character that one might find in mainland Spain. Very bland and most disappointing.

We found The Galeon Playa Hotel to be more than adequate for our requirements, a perfect base for a family holiday, however we shall not be returning to Lanzarote again, simply because it was not to our taste.

Our thanks to all of the staff for your warm welcome and polite attention.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank HARMONICA-JON
GALEONPLAYA, Director de Recepción at Apartamentos Galeon Playa, responded to this review, 19 September 2013
Hello dear Harmonica_jon!

Thank you very much for your feedback.
We are very happy to know that you enjoyed your hiolidays at Galeon Playa.
Our staff work very hard everyday to keep our customers happy so your comments are a big reward for us!!
Looking forward to seeing you soon again!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (476)
  • Polish first
Wales
Reviewed 21 August 2013

GREAT!

This was our third visit to Costa Teguise, having previously stayed at the El Trebol in 2010 & 2011. This time, we fancied a change and opted for the Galeon Playa. I’m happy that we did.

I asked for a first or second floor room overlooking the main pool. This was granted and we were given the keys to room 224 in Block 5. At first this seemed fine – plenty of room for us (2 adults & 2 boys aged 12 & 9). There were a couple of niggles such as paint peeling off the balcony, the bathroom door sticking and also paint bubbling above the shower. The beds are hard and the pillows are thin (we asked for extra pillows and they were delivered within a few hours). The main problem with the room however was the fact that the recycling bins were located at the rear, resulting in them being filled at 3am and emptied at 7am! We had no option but to leave the small bedroom window open as it was soooo hot! We didn’t bother asking for a room change as the Hotel seemed quite full. That’s the negatives out of the way.

Yes, the complex is tired in places but I’m not one that expects 5 star luxury for 3 star prices. The complex was clean & tidy, and the pool areas were washed down every morning. We stayed at the main pool area when possible, as there were a number of static parasols located there. The pool area was much more spacious than the El Trebol, although the size of the pool is smaller. The pool was absolutely freezing for the first few days after arriving (even colder than the El Trebol’s and that’s saying something!). However after about 5 days it seemed to be warmer.

The sunbed situation is a lottery. In the first few days we noticed that the sunbeds were chained up until 10am. I welcomed this after having to get up at 7.30am at the El Trebol. However, on a couple of occasions, they weren’t chained up and consequently had all gone by 8am the following morning. There were a couple of occasions where there were none left for us, and so had to spend our time away from the complex. For the last few days, it changed back to the chains being opened between 9.30 & 10am, however people started to congregate around 9am to reserve their spots by the parasols.

Some of you might have seen from my posts on the Forums that we had a last minute panic as my eldest son broke his collarbone 4 days before heading out. He was adamant that he wanted to go so we decided to risk it. I was worried that he’d be bored stiff, as he usually spends all his time in the pool. He still managed to go for a dip every now and again to cool off when I was with him. However, what made his holiday was the fact that he still managed to join in some of the games provided by the Animation Team – Sami & Maria. I can’t thank them enough for involving him where possible. He looked up to Sami and followed him everywhere, and now wants to do a similar job once he’s old enough!

The greatest asset that the Galeon has is it’s staff – everyone was friendly and cheerful, especially Sami & Maria, and also the staff at the restaurant (unfortunately I didn’t get their names), who greeted us every morning for breakfast with a cheerful smile. We were hugged and kissed on our departure as if we were close friends or family (maybe they were just pleased that we were leaving LOL!). The breakfast was ok – tinned & fresh fruit, the usual fry ups, hams & cheeses and occasionally either churros or pancakes. It did get repetitive after a few days though.

Special mention too for the lady that runs the Pool Bar – always cheerful and again, hugged and kissed us on our departure. The Pool Bar is cheap by the way – 1.90 euro for a freezing cold pint, same price for a plate of chips or a hamburger. My youngest loved the toasted sandwiches from there.

If the Galeon management read this review, please pass on our thanks and best wishes to the staff I mentioned.

The location of the Galeon is great – literally overlooking the sea and within a 5-10 minute stroll from the beach and the square.

Finally, would I stay at the Galeon again? Definitely. Put it this way, my kids are already asking if I’ve booked yet!

PS.. I met a couple of fellow Trip Advisors whilst over there – LadyPancho & her daughter (from Birmingham) and Emma & Mark (from Warrington). It was great to meet you all and I hope you enjoyed the rest of your holidays after we left.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank T0rresn09
GALEONPLAYA, Director de Recepción at Apartamentos Galeon Playa, responded to this review, 16 September 2013
Hello dear Torrens09

We thank you all for your nice comments about our complex and the staff!

We all work hard to make our guest feel like at home with us!

Concerning your comments about the containers and the noise early in the morning we are trying our best to negociate the change of the time to empty the containers.

About the sunbeds we are also working on this matter and we are refurbishing some apartments as well.!

We hope your older son is better now..

We all hope to have you back again!
Airdrie, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 August 2013

My family were here for a week at the end of July '13 for a family holiday (2 adults + 1 teenager). It was our first time in Lanzarote and we'll definitely be back. The island is so clean with very few high rise buildings and everywhere has beautiful landscaped gardens and trees, no litter, debris or smelly back streets.

The apartments are in a great location very near the beach and coastal promenade taking you to the back of the main ‘square’ and watersports area of the town of Costa Teguise. Head the other way to a multitude of shops, bars, cafes and restaurants and eating out is cheap and there is such a variety of food to choose from. Most of the restaurants and bars offer free wi-fi for customers so we could relax knowing our teenage daughter was not out of contact with her friends for a nano-second (heaven forbid!)

Some of the apartments are right above some bars and shops and I see over travellers have complained about the noise. The offending karaoke pub is a good few streets away, but their sound system is more gifted than most of their singers! We didn't hear anything much and the pubs etc don’t go on until early morning anyway.

The apartments are basic, a bit dated but clean, bright and a great size. Our one bedroom apartment was very spacious, loads of storage space, large living area with TV, kitchen with microwave, toaster, 2 electric rings, fridge with small freezer compartment and plenty of crockery and utensils. There was no air conditioning in the room so we left the patio door open for air. Fine for us, but not so great if you’d young kids due to the noise. Also no hairdryer in the room and we had to hire one from reception. It cost €15 + €10 refundable deposit. A bit costly but I should have checked before I arrived, but it never entered my head!

The bathroom was large, lovely and clean with a brilliant shower. The hot water tank is in the corner of the bathroom and I’d probably have boxed it in if it was in my house but totally inoffensive. I mentioned this as a couple of reviews I read before I went were mumping about the water tank (really!)

The pool area is very well maintained with loads of sunbeds to go round and no mad pre-breakfast rush to put towels down. The pool man seemed to take his time in cleaning the pool each morning before setting out the sunbeds and rarely were there towels put down at stupid o’clock then left empty.

Basic, clean apartments not luxurious splendour but a great holiday apartment and worth what we paid.

Room Tip: Paying extra for a sea view isn't necessarily going to get you a better view and could be noisie...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Hello dear ClanRobertson,

We are very happy to know that you enjoyed your holidays with us!!!

It´s vry rewarding for us to know that you have a pleasant stay with us and that you intend to come back!!

Big hug from all our staff and we hope to have you back soon!!!!
Indicar que la respuesta no es apropiada
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 August 2013

We just arrived from a 14 day stay in Lanzarote. Family holiday with 2 kids (4+6). Galeon Playa is good value for money. Clean, very friendly staff and located in a great area of Cost Teguise.
We first got an apartment next to the swimming pool (block 7...noisy and dark), but were able to change for a great apartment (block 10 !!!) in a quiet location with view to the sea. Didn't stay much at the hotel during the day, but swimming pool area seems to be nice and clean. Similarly went only once to the buffet restaurant, since great bars and restaurant around Costa Teguise and the surrounding fishing villages (make sure you visit Arietta !). So not sure, why one needs these idiotic "All Inclusive Clubs" that really destroy the local business !
Costa Teguise is nice with great beaches, but would get boring after a few days, so we really recommend renting a car to drive around in Lanzarote.

Room Tip: We would avoid block 7, except you want to be close to the swimming pool ! Good rooms in block 10 (w...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Markus M
GALEONPLAYA, Director de Recepción at Apartamentos Galeon Playa, responded to this review, 23 September 2013
Hello dear Markus M.

Thank you very much from all the Galeon PLaya staff for such a nice and good comments about us and our complex!
it´s very encouraging for us to see that customers appreciate our daily effors tomake their holidays special!!!

We are happy to have you back with us again!!!!!

Thank you again for your nice rewiews!
Dalkeith, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 August 2013

Stayed here 5th-12th August 2013. Hotel staff all very friendly and approachable. Asked for some advice on trips as was on holiday with my 78yr old grandmother and 6year old son who has adhd, reception staff gave lots of good advice and recommendations.

Hotel facilities are good pool & area great, cleaned daily. As other posters have mentioned, sunbeds are a nightmare, some nights they are all locked up so its a scrum at 10am to get a spot and a couple beds! Pool bar food lovely, cheap and the lady really friendly, has free wifi too!

We were half board, breakfast had good selection although always a que for the toaster, sausages still pink in the middle and bacon sat in lots of grease. Dinner was a let down, we are not a fussy family but the food was not great! Some things not cooked properly, off combinations-turkey with a creamy mint sauce :/. Lovely salad choice though!

The rooms were big and very clean. Comfy beds, well equipped kitchen, big balcony. Overall the hotel was great, would return but on a self catering basis, there are plenty places for eating.

Area round about plenty choice of bars/restaurants. Chinese buffet good value and tasty(there are 3 we went to the middle one). The Bulldog bar/restaurant served a really good sunday roast for 7.50€. La Hacienda mexican was absolutely beautiful-by far our best meal, a little pricey but service/food/atmosphere brilliant. Couple supermarkets and the usual gifty/touristy shops.

• Stayed August 2013
4 Thank Debbie M
Hello dear Debbie M,

Thank you for your comments about your holidays at Galeon !

Concerning the problem with the sunbeds we are working in order to find a suitable solution !

We hope to have you back again!!!

Kind regards from all our staff!!
Scotland
Reviewed 11 August 2013

My friend and I stayed here from 10th to 24th June and I liked these apartments so much I have booked to go back with my daughter and her family in October. They are not luxurious but have everything you will need for a good holiday. Staff were more than helpful and very pleasant and were happy to answer questions and give directions and advice if needed. We had a lovely room with a sea view (we paid extra for this) The cleaners were in almost every day so it was spotlessly clean. We never went to the bar as there are so many nice restaurants and bars close by, Davina Italia in the Square was my favourite, lovely food and wine. The weather was lovely, overcast in morning but sunny in afternoon. Very windy at times though, in saying that when it was really hot we were glad of the breeze. Great wee cocktail bar right outside the apartments called Bar Vali, amazing cocktails and nice snacks. We had a great Sunday lunch at La Vida, just across the way on main street, highly recommend this place, live music at night. The Galeon restaurant was really good too. The beaches were lovely, nice clear sea. I would say if your looking for nice apartments in a great location then you can't go wrong with the Galeon Playa. I can't wait to go back.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
7 Thank XxBxX
Hello dear XxBxX,

We are very happy to know that you and your family liked our complex and that you enjoyed your stay with us.
Comments like your make us work harder everyday to make our guest to feel like at home with us!

We see you in October then!!!!

Big hug from all our staff!!!
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 August 2013

Stayed here for one week start of July with my three children 16, 12, 10. The hotel was lovely and clean and the reception staff spoke good English so communication was not a problem for me as I don't speak Spanish.

Stayed half board, buffet style help yourself.. Very large selection of breakfast, but the evening meal was a little to be desired. The mash was like water and some chicken was undercooked (chicken nuggett). Watch the evening meal because the staff swamp you to order a drink which is charged for. I found the whole experience like being watched by the staff all the way through. They didn't take their eyes off you, i suppose in case you were eating too much???

The tv in the room: 20 euros to hire a remote for the week, but is it worth it? The only English channel you get is Sky's CBS Drama, but if you like Waterloo Road, Knots Landing, Judge Judy, Matlock and Dallas, you'll be in heaven haha.

The cleaners do not like to change the bottom bed sheets, so strip them yourself and give them to them and they will have to change them!

Internet is ok 15 euros for wifi for a week, not bad considering my 16 year old didn't leave the room with his laptop for the entire week almost!

Evening bar was ok. Erica was friendly enough, but always served faces which were well known before anyone else! She also poured way too big a measures so just be happy, but careful!

Restaurants nearby good. Chinese buffet good value 4.50 euros adult 3.00 child, but drinks are quite dear.

Galeon restaurant OMG try the tomato soup its lush.

A couple of karaoke bars nearby ok, but a bit too full on.

Overall nice hotel, better for families with little children. Enjoy!

Room Tip: IF you ask for a sea view when you book, you will most probably get one.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank dawncharlie
GALEONPLAYA, Director de Recepción at Apartamentos Galeon Playa, responded to this review, 19 August 2013
Hello dear Dawncharlie,

We thank you for your comments about our complex! It help us to improve our service to the guest which is the most important for us!
We will bare in mind your comments and we do our best to improve our services .

Greetings from all Galeon Playa staff!!