“Club Siroco Family Apartment, look elsewhere for your holiday”
Review of Hotel Club Siroco

Hotel Club Siroco
Ranked #19 of 38 Hotels in Costa Teguise
Reviewed 15 August 2014

We have only returned from the Club Siroco apartments yesterday, and this is the first time after 24 years of going to Lanzarote for our holidays, it has been a pleasure to leave these apartments behind!

We booked through Thomas Cook Flexitrips, as we were arriving after midnight, we emailed the apartments before arrival to let them know that we had 2 parties coming (a family and grandparents), we had requested high floor rooms away from the disco and bar, we received an email back from Clara saying this was ok and this had been added to our booking, this was probably our first mistake.

On arrival we were given our room No:125 which happened to be a ground floor room next to the disco, on entering we found the children were required to sleep in the living room on a fold up children's bed, this would have been ok if the balcony door could be locked. The balcony opened out onto the back of the apartments, which seemed to overlook nothing but waste ground.

We returned back to reception with our Thomas Cook invoice as we had actually paid over £100 for a room upgrade for a pool view room. Eventually at nearly 2:30am we were allocated another room No:203, the lock on the balcony was not much better, but as it was on the second floor we decided it would do.

In our 10 night holiday the boiler in the living room broke down 3 times and Pedro the technician came to fix it, we had daily flooding from the boiler in which the cleaning lady supplied extra towels for us to mop the water up with. On leaving we were told the problem is now fixed, but it isn't. My son had a bath and when removing the plug, the whole plug hole came away from the bath, Pedro to the rescue again. Cleaning lady put clean towels in the bathroom and the towel rail fell off the sink, not fixed when we left.

We were self catering, but the whole complex is very much catered for the all inclusive guests, who during our time here were very inconsiderate to all the rest of us. The bar was still open at gone midnight on most nights and room 203 is above the bar, the noise at 12:30pm is so loud from the shouting its unbelievable. We appreciate you are on holiday, but give it a rest at some time, some of us like to sit on our balcony in the evening, but you can't here.

The swimming pool is also being wrecked by the all inclusive usage with people using plastic cups and ice cream pots in the pool to throw water at each other. My kids went in a few times and found socks and shoes in the pool too.

Other reviews have said about children running around the complex, there was a young lady a few days with younger children doing activities, but the only evening entertainment that has been shown was a couple with a snake and lizard in the bar. Adults start to sit outside the bar around 6pm with their all inclusive drinks and that's were they stay until the bar closes, so this is why the kids run riot around the complex, and the staff have to chase after them all the time. On many occasions the reception staff were behind the apartments herding up the children getting them back to the adults as they were climbing over the serenity walls.

We actually made the most of our holiday by going out all day and most nights, we thankfully always have a car when visiting Lanzarote.

The staff are trying their best, but we certainly won't be returning to these apartments.

Room Tip: Grandparents were booked in Serenity Premium Pool View, which were nicer but children under 16 years...
Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Nicola T

Reviewed 15 August 2014

Not really the type of place my husband and I would choose for a holiday, but my sister had booked this hotel for her family so we booked to tag along with my parents also so we could have a family holiday.
We all got it for a good price considering we were travelling during the school summer holidays. its graded as 2 star, so we weren't really expecting too much for what we paid and also with the mixed reviews here on T/A, but we were pleasantly surprised.
We were all staying in the family side. Yes, sure, the rooms were dated and in need of upgrading, but we weren't spending much time in the rooms anyway - only to shower and sleep.
The rooms were kept clean. Beds were a little hard - but easy enough to sleep after a few drinks!
The all inclusive buffet was a bit repetitive, some things not so good, others really quite nice. In general we could find something nice enough to eat.
My husband and I had already planned to eat out a few evenings anyway so we could enjoy the atmosphere of Costa Teguise and the local cuisine.
We ate out 4 of the 7 nights we were there, but still felt we got our monies worth from drinks, breakfast and lunch during the day.
Drinks were available in glasses in the bar areas, but round the pool in plastic cups for safety reasons - I don't understand why people complain about this.
We never had to queue at the buffet, and only occasionally for drinks service (usually as 11pm approached for the end of all inclusive drinks).
Most of the staff were friendly - and reception were helpful when we first arrived and I didn't have the key for my luggage lock! They were also helpful in printing boarding passes.
There wasn't much in the way of entertainment in the hotel - but we didn't need that anyway.
The kids were kept entertained by Isobel who worked very hard with activities for them during the day and evenings too. All the kids seemed to really like her.
Overall we found the holiday suited us all - and were quite happy with the hotel considering what we had paid. As they say - you get what you pay for - don't pay 2 star prices and expect a 5 star hotel!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank MrsOLeeds
Reviewed 12 August 2014 via mobile

Had a 2 week holiday end of July, got worse the busier it got.
Rooms basic but clean, balcony doors were dangerous with loose glass panes. Comfy beds, rooms could get hot and stuffy with no air con. Unable to open both bedroom window and balcony as it caused a wind tunnel.
Food was always well presented and edible. Breakfast was always good, even if there was no scrambled eggs, so just made my own! Nice fresh salads on a lunch time, dinner was a tad disappointing some days. But, overall everything was within the hotels 2 star rating.
Plenty of sun beds, staff we found were friendly and helpful.
The bar area was not adequate on a night for the amount of people staying, service was quick just not enough seats.
The big disappointment was the entertainment or lack of it. Odd game of bingo with tooth picks and cocktails when your AI was not my idea of fun. The poor polish girl tried her best and was mocked back by the hotel when she wanted to do a quiz .
The resort itself is lovely and we will definitely be returning just not to club sirocco.

Stayed: August 2014
2  Thank alfiedoggy1
Reviewed 11 August 2014

Apologies in advance for the length of this but I have tried to be as comprehensive as possible.

The hotel is definitely a hotel of two halves and I from what I saw and heard can understand why the family area doesn't get the same rave reviews as the adult Serenity section.

We have just spent an amazing two weeks in the serenity area. The premium apartments are well worth the money and ours 1119, had two terraces, one by the pool which had walls on 3 sides which acted as a wind break and made sitting there in the afternoon sun nigh on impossible (it read 42 degrees there at one point- however first thing in the morning and at night the lack of wind was a bonus) and the other out the back. This one we made good use of due to the breeze – we just carried our loungers through – the best of both worlds!

The pool area here is lovely with the loungers spread out so you can have some space if you want it – unlike the family side where they were all on top of each other. That said the ground floor serenity apartments all come with 2 loungers – however a lot of folk were hogging the pool loungers and not the ones on their terraces – I thought this a bit unfair as some days there weren’t enough to go round and therefore folk staying on the top floor could struggle – on our last few days we even saw the ground floor apartments taking extra beds from the pool area – again I thought this a tad selfish.

Serenity is adults only – but be aware that means over 16’s so there were some families with teens there – this did mean some noise around the pool a few days – bombing and splashing - We did witness one occasion where a father and son chose to play ball - causing disruption to others around the pool - the staff were on this very swiftly and stopped it - so top marks for that. I didn’t find it a major problem but would have preferred adults to mean adults. When the whole hotel goes adults only next year maybe this will be addressed – with couples one side and young adults the other (fingers crossed).

The serenity bar area is very comfortable and the service was great – no sooner were our glasses empty than the staff were refilling them. There is also a water dispenser and coffee machine there which is self service. The one down side was that only water was available before 12 noon when the bar opened – access to soft drinks without having to go to the family side would have been a bonus – but you do have a fridge in the apartment so getting some from the supermarket wasn’t a problem. Snacks (sandwiches, pastries, fruit and ice cream) were available – and if AI you received a 30% discount on food and drinks not covered by the AI – such as cocktails and burgers. This meant happy hours cocktails were 2 for less than 4 euros.

The AI food was ok, not so much repetitive as sometimes lacking choice – although one day we clocked potato croquettes, chips and duchess potatoes – thought this was overkill on potatoes. There was also a lack of cold meats available other than at breakfast and not being big fish eaters we sometimes struggled to find meat to eat with the salad which we prefer. But for the price we paid we did expect this and ate a maximum of two meals a day – some in the hotel others in the resort. The Beijing Chinese buffet was my favourite. The hotel restaurant is not really large enough for the volume of guests and unsupervised children did mean that tongs were used on a variety of dishes causing the dishes to get mixed up at times – spilt drinks by the soft drinks machine could be a problem too – although staff dealt with it as soon as they were aware. However you may find - especially at breakfast that you have to ask for cups, glasses and cutlery - there never seemed to be enough to go round - but again staff rectified this swiftly. labelling of dishes is not always accurate either especially the soups - but if you ask the staff will help.

Be aware that there is very little food wise for vegetarians – even the mashed potato often contained ham as did the pasta and rice salads – not once did I actually see a proper vegetarian main and one vegetarian we met was really struggling living on salad – the lack of vegetarian protein is an issue and the matter wasn’t helped by the tong misuse that I mentioned previously.

self catering here isn't a major issue as there are supermarkets within a five minute walk and restaurants within 10 - however there isn't an oven in the kitchenette just a combi microwave and a hob.

The staff were all friendly and welcoming, reception was always staffed and helpful, our maid was thorough and our room was cleaned 10 out of 14 days – always with fresh towels. Restaurant staff could be a tad over zealous at times – whipping away plates while you were still holding your cutlery – but I guess better that way. The serenity bar staff were great fun.

We didn’t use the family side pool bar or the entertainment so cannot comment on that – we did leave some books at the book swap though which I think every hotel should have.

Instead we went out and about and had drinks and watched live entertainment at the bars in the resort – Davids cocktail bar in the square by the bandstand was great for soaking up the atmosphere and listening to music – we even witnessed some steel drums being played one night which had the whole square on its feet. The Waterfront was a favourite of ours – live music 5 nights a week ranging from Neil Diamond tributes, the 80’s through to Irish folk/rock. Dreams Karaoke bar upstairs near the Galeon player is a great place to have a dance and make new friends – we had a few late nights there.

We went snorkelling at Jabillo beach but at a good 30 minutes walk away it got uncomfortable in the heat of the day – the snorkelling is ok – shallow , clear water in a secluded cove so Ideal for children. A stop off at the iguana bar on the way back for a drink and a snack is recommended as is Robinsons bar at las churacas shopping centre – probably the best coffee in the resort (and yes I did try quite a few) they also serve great carrot cake!

The sports bar next to Club sirocco does a great value breakfast for 4 euros and has a good basic menu to eat in or take away.

So to sum up – we had a fantastic holiday – met some awesome people (apologies to those our laughter may have disturbed) and loved the serenity area. However purely due to location and where our favourite places are we probably wouldn’t return here during the summer months as we found walking in the daytime a chore.

That said if you are a pool person and happy not to get out and about during the day I can’t recommend this place highly enough – wonder if we can convince them to make their sister hotel the Galeon player adults only instead !

If you’d like any further info please feel free to send me a private message and I’ll do my best to answer your questions – absolutely loved it.

Room Tip: Premium apartments are worth the upgrade.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
6  Thank netsyp
Reviewed 9 August 2014

Just got back from a 11 nights stay at the club sirocco on a All inclusive basis. Booked direct with the hotel and paid on arrival, which was a plus. First impressions of the hotel on arrival was it was in dire need of a refurb, which I believe they are in the process of doing with the Serenity Area - adult only, however being a group of 9 ( 4 adults, 5 kids - teenagers) our rooms where in the family area, we had 3 rooms all very similar clean and roomy, one bedroom with two single beds in and a sofa bed in the living room area. No air conditioning but didn't find it a problem.
Rooms where cleaned every 2 days, with clean towels.
Food was OK, but after a little while become a little repetitive, meat, fish, pasta and rice.
All inclusive drinks are not branded, no cocktails included, served in plastic cups if you are drinking in the pool area. Found the bar staff OK, but on occasions they could be quite rude in their manner - didn't look like they were enjoying their job.
Entertainment almost non existent - felt sorry for the poor polish girl who was brilliant with the kids and the resources she had, but bingo with tooth picks was not my idea of fun. We often went across the road to the Beach Sands Hotel for the evening entertainment, which meant paying for our drinks but well worth it.
Pool Area was cleaned daily, and there seemed plenty of sun beds available. Some of the us beds had seen better days.
All in all it was a OK holiday, but I won't be going back.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank 310Denise
Reviewed 7 August 2014 via mobile

I booked this place undeterred by some poor reviews....at my own cost! I am staying here right now and can't wait to get out of the place! We arrived late evening, booked in AI and asked if there was any bottled water just to take to our room....We were given directions to a supermarket! 2nd night came back to the hotel just before 23:00 and stood, queueing, behind a couple being served their drinks (and paying). When it came to my turn they refused to serve me as it was 1 min past 23:00 ... I can see how this holiday is going to pan out.... Extremely poor service... food ok... rooms desperate for modernising. Wish me luck...5 more days to go!
Update...just about to leave this place and I would NOT advise anyone to stay in the normal side (serenity may be different). The food is soo repetitive, cheap cuts of meat, fish and hotdogs most days. The room was very basic but kept clean by the cleaners every 2nd day. On our last day we couldn't keep our room on for our late evening flight but could book a shower room. If you do book the shower room please make sure you book it early in the day as we only had the option of drying ourselves with used, wet towels.
I've stayed in Lanzarote 3 times now and this place has really spoilt it for us. There are much MUCH better places for your money on the island.

• Stayed: July 2014
10  Thank revidnortheast
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Returning for a second time. We spent the last few days of July, begining of August at the Club Siroco.. AIC....Holiday company had us booked in the Serenity adults only area, but with a 14 year old in-tow we could not go into this area..things were sorted out very quickly with the choice of 2 appartments on the family side available... Found the reception people very helpfull..
The room was basic but clean, 1 bedroomed, bathroom, livingroom/kitchen with sofa couch..
Cleaners came twice a week, clean towels and bedding changed weekly.
Last year we had a brilliant time at this complex but found this year a bit dissapointing ..there was hardly any entertainment and what there was (well) bingo and a drag queen show ..
The entertainment lady always showed up at 9.30ish in the evening and a few occasions in the daytime to entertain the little children..There is NO entertainment in the day or evening for young adults (last year there was) entertainment lady is good with young children but thats about it...I paid the 15 Euros for wifi for my daugther but it was very hit and miss, after a few days she totally gave up..
AIC drinks were of the same as last year but had to wait in line quit a few times to get served, and i always had to wait to get someone to get me a glass of wine when entering the dinning room..
On some occasions you could just walk into the dinning room and help yourself to food, they were very lazy watching who was comming and going..some people came into the dining room, filled plates with food and walked out .(eating in there room or out side as the dinning room was very warm)..There was a lot of noise in the evenings with un supervised children playing races around the complex ..(due to no entertainment )..and there were a lot of plastic cups left lying around especially around the pool tables where children had been..
The complex in my mind has degraded a little and needs refurbishment ..the gardens and pool are well cared for as is( The Serenity Area). I have the impression thats where this years budget has gone..
Overall we had a nice holiday and got out and about as everthing is in easy walking distance, but i will not be going back to this hotel again unless it gets better reviews (The Family Side and not the Serenity Adults Only side)...

Room Tip: If your an adult go for the premium Serenity Area..
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family