“Worst all inclusive I have ever experienced!”

Smartline Hsa Ficus
Ranked #20 of 38 Hotels in Costa Teguise
“Worst all inclusive I have ever experienced!”
Reviewed 22 August 2014

The rooms were spacious modern and clean, however we did have a problem with cockroaches, worst I've ever experienced in the canaries!
Pool was average, entertainment was average however credit to the reps who tried their hardest.
The FOOD..... It was disgusting, your choices being, veal, fish, spaghetti and a tomato purée sauce. The 'chicken nuggets' we're took off the menu when not 1 member of staff could explain why the 'meat' inside was brown?? No fresh fruit! No fresh bread! In fact nothing fresh! Our group of 15 dined elsewhere everyday even though we had paid for all inclusive! The daily snacks were a joke....fries or spaghetti & gravy, I kid you not! Please take my advise the food was vile! I wouldn't stay here again if I was paid. Our kids couldn't even drink the soft drinks as they were either flat or tasted like sugar and fizzy water. I complained and the manager shouted in my face that I had been the only person to ever complain!!! Haha he's obviously never read the reviews on here or spoke to other guests!

7 Thank Austinino

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (526)
  • Polish first
Reviewed 20 August 2014 via mobile

We enjoyed week here. The apartment was spacious enough for 2 adults and 2 children. The food was good and the staff always happy and helpful. The only thing I'd change about this place is the temperature of the pool. It was freezing!

Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Kelly W
Reviewed 20 August 2014

Just come home from a 2 week stay at smartline ficus and it was excellent could not fault it in any way. I had read reviews about it before and was a little aprehensive as some of them were awful. However when i arrived i soon realised i would enjoy it there. The reception was very helpful, the maid was fantastic and kept the room spotless. If we needed extra towels she was always happy to help. The entertainment team kim and liam were really good and we always had a laugh in the show bar, the food was good and varied so there wasnt the same over again. Overall i think you got more than what you paíd for and would certinly go back.

6 Thank rachelstevensxo
Newcastle under Lyme, null, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 August 2014

just returned after 10 nights, Nice and clean, Good value for what we paid.Other holiday makers had paid more than us. kids aged 10. and 12 had a great time. Entertainment team Liam,Kim and Jordan work very hard and very friendly.The all inclusive was better than others we have been to. Met some lovely people. Yes some people sit and wait until the sunbeds are unchained at 9am but we always got ours about 10 . There was always a stack by the poolside bar . Will defo bone returning.''

Room Tip: Most rooms have a pool view. Just a few at the top end of the complex that don't. Only a small c...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank JAQUES2012
Staffordshire England
Reviewed 17 August 2014

On arrival every thing looked ok then we discovered the pit falls - no air con anywhere- no snack bar for the children- no sun beds unless you got up at 7am - food ok bit repetitive - entertainment great for the kids but none for adults bar closed at 11 pm - pool bar opened at 11.30 am - staff are hard working but very rude ( reach over in front of you while your eating ) do not think we will be back

5 Thank tecker
Hullbridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 August 2014

I have just recently returned from the Ficus hotel after a family holiday. We arrived on a Thursday night and our first impressions were of a rather plain and dull reception area and a bar area which seemed strange by it's quietness. How wrong we were! This turned out to be the best family holiday we have ever had and we have had a few in the recent years. The food was excellent and the service superb. We were treated to a wonderful holiday. The refurbished apartments where both adequate in space and decor and all offered a wonderful pool view to the front and landscapes of the rugged volcanic Lanzarote area to the rear. Although the food was excellent, the room spacious and spotless, where the bed was changed and made almost every day and towels where in abundance there was one over riding reasoning as to why our holiday was so successful and indeed the best we have experienced. There is little doubt in any of our minds that the entertainments team at the Ficus are quite easily the best we have ever come across. Our ages ranged from sixty four down to one but diverse as this is, we all thoroughly enjoyed both the imagination and sheer hard work of Kimberley, Liam and Jordan. Their work rate was very impressive and the invention they put into some of the shows was unbelievable. The 80's show which they put on for us all was a superb evening full of songs which the adults in our party all related to and enjoyed. Apart from my son in law Jamie, the rest of my family are rather introvert but the team managed to get us all involved persuading my wife and I to enter the Mr and Mrs competition.
Life is, as always, a matter of opinion but in all honesty I find it rather strange to read some of the contributors on the site critical of the food and the rooms, if I had booked a 5 star hotel it may have been valid but we booked a Children's holiday complex, where our requirement for being entertained, wined, dined and most importantly our children and grandchildren looked after safely while being able to enjoy the great pool facilities. These requirements were totally met. Last year we went to the Oasis Village in Fuerteventura, we enjoyed it very much but preferred the size, facilities, food and atmosphere of the Ficus. All I can say to the entertainments team is from Mr and Mrs, Jamie and Mr Selfridge and the family- best of look in the future and may all your dreams come true.

Room Tip: We felt the upper rooms were the best purely from the viewpoint of the view. There are only 3 floors...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
8 Thank Mike F
Carluke, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 August 2014

I stayed at this hotel in July 2014 with my husband and two kids aged 2 and 4 years. I was a little worried after reading some of the reviews but we had an excellent time here.
The hotel is modern and clean, the staff are excellent.
Food- There was always something we liked, a large selection of fresh salad/ fruit/ breads etc at all meals, chips, hotdogs, burgers etc for the kids as well as pasta's, and usually a meat dish such as roast veal or roast pork along with a fish dish. It does get a bit repetetive but there are lots of local restaurants nearby which are reasonable. The food was always hot and fresh.
Sunbeds- I read alot on here about sunbed problems. They now chain the beds up at night, I heard a few people moaning about this but I think its the perfect solution. You go down at 9am when they unchain them and get to pick where you want your bed. For us this meant we were right next to the kids pool all holiday, and for those wanting to be away from screaming kids they can be. There are plenty of sunbeds.
Drinks- I found the drinks were fine, the beer is good and the Sangria is tasty, I also enjoyed the vodka. Plenty of soft drinks and ice creams for the kids.
Entertainment- The entertainment team are FANTASTIC they put everything into it and really create a good atmosphere. The kids loved it and its the best entertainment we have had at a hotel abroad.
The hotel is about a 15 min walk from the main stretch on the front where there are lots of bars restaurants and a lovely beach.
I would return to this hotel again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family