smartline Ficus
Los Zocos Club Resort(Costa Teguise)
US$134
Hotels.com
  • Restaurant
Occidental Lanzarote Mar(Costa Teguise)
US$199
Melia.com
Santa Rosa(Costa Teguise)
US$68
  • Pool
Occidental Lanzarote Playa(Costa Teguise)
US$190
Hotels.com
US$104
US$101
Orbitz.com
  • Restaurant
Siroco Serenity Solo Adultos(Costa Teguise)(Great Value!)
US$83
  • Restaurant
El Guarapo Apartments(Costa Teguise)
US$90
TripAdvisor
Blue Sea Costa Bastian(Costa Teguise)
No availability for your dates from our partners
2,148 results
All reviewsthomas cookentertainment teamcactus jacksice creamgreat holidaypastapool areaplenty of choiceevening entertainmentworked really hardon tapthemed nightssoft drinksfood was lovelyspar shopsomething for everyonetv remote
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 22 July 2010

Just returned from 2 weeks all inclusive and can honestly say this is these are the worst appartments I have ever stayed at. I always use trip advisor when booking a holiday and I have never before felt the need to add a negative review, but this time I feel that I should warn others not to waste their money. When booking a 3 star hotel, I don't expect to get the best however there were too many complaints against Ficus to ignore. Firstly there was the food. My husband and I managed with the lunches and dinners however as we were travelling with 4 teenagers who usually fill up on snacks when abroad they were deeply dissapointed. The snacks consisted of chips, sausages or squid rings, boiled pasta and pasta sauce!!! Not very appetising at all. The restaurant food was ok, but by the end of the fortnight, we were sick of fish and meat. The mexican night was good though and even the kids managed to feed well on this night. Nobody seemed to mention the lack of air con or even ceiling fans and as we were on the ground floor, we couldn't sleep with windows or doors open due to previous reviews of break ins - it was therefore uncomfortable to sleep at nights. Trying to sleep during the day or have a lie in was impossible too as this is possibly the noisiest hotel I have ever encountered!! From drilling in the mornings to maids knocking at 9.30, there was no chance of a lie in. However, even getting up at 8.30 was not in time to get towels on the sunbeds. My family only managed to do this 1 day of our stay!
In general, the rooms were run down, there were queues for drinks, restaurant and getting sunloungers was impossible. When the maids came in, they left patio doors open, security guards could not speak English and one particular guest was rude to my children due to a misunderstanding over towels!!
A special mention also to the chef who was cooking the meat in the restaurant - she must really dislike her job and all tourists!!
I must also mention however that the entertainment staff try really hard.

Reviewed 15 July 2010

dont let the negative reviews put you off.
food is as you would expect of a 3 star buffet, yes it gets a little repetative after 2 weeks but ive put on 8 lbs so its not that bad ! its well cooked and very efficiently replenished, try things you might like it.... oh and the snacks are indeed a little boring but with the restraunt open 6 hrs a day how much can you eat in between lol ! plastic cup of chips at poolside for the kids was enough.
beer was good and the (nice cold) pump was a 10 sec walk from the poolside into canteen, i dont drink shorts in the day anyway so cant comment on the issue of access, what i can say tho is that the friendly staff are all very helpfull and smile !
soft drinks , juices and ice cream in 3 types also available all day.
apartments are basic and not equiped for self catering, but then its all inclusive ..... tea/coffee from canteen in plastic cups availabe 8am onwards
tv seems scrambled but i didnt enquire, i dont go on hols to watch tv indoors.
facillities were a little basic but the 3 reps pete / helen / georga do a superb job day and night ( haven holiday style entertainment) to keep the whole family entertained, and yes i did win a superstar t shirt !!!

Reviewed 13 July 2010

I have just returned from Ficus with my husband and two children, aged 11 and 1 and have to say we are glad to be home.

HOTEL AND ROOMS:

First impressions on the hotel was it looked okay. We were given a room on the second floor which was a bit of a pain with two flights on stairs, pram and no lift. The rooms are very basic but very clean. We were dissapointed with the room service, our beds were changed twice in the week and our babys cot sheets were not changed once!!! This was dispite us leaving one of his dirty cot sheets out after the second night. We only received fresh towels once during our weeks stay.

We were extremely disapointed at the temperature of the pool, it was freezing even though the weather was fantastic (30degrees+ every day). Our baby absolutely loves the water but it was just pure cruelty putting him in the freezing cold pool. This really put a downer on our holiday as at age 1 he couldnt really join in with the childrens entertainment.

The entertainment team were good, worked really hard to keep the children amused, we cant really comment on the evening entertainment as we were all in bed by 9pm but it did sound quite lively.

FOOD:

I dont understand a lot of the complaints regarding food. I think a lot of people go expecting 5* a la carte meals. You do get what you pay for and I cant believe anyone would go hungary at this hotel. There is something for everyone. No, its not the most tasty, best quality food in the world but we enjoyed all of our meals and were never hungary.

LOCATION:

The hotel is in a quite area, about 5 minute walk from the beach. The beach is nice and there are lots of bars and restaurants down there too. We booked all of our excursions through travel customer, a little shop based in the shopping centre by the beach, they offer the best prices.

OVERALL:

We booked this holiday as a cheap and cheerful package holiday and that is exactly what we got. Hotel is average in some areas boardering poor and I doubt we would consider returning.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 July 2010

Me and my boyfriend have just returned from 2 weeks at the ficus and after obsessively checking the reviews for weeks up until we went, I thought it was important to give a review myself now that we've returned! After reading the reviews, we tried to go with an open mind and were quite pleased when the bus pulled up and we got our first glimpse of the ficus! It looked like one of the best hotels we'd arrived at on the bus transfer. We went to our room (on the 3rd floor) and again, we were very pleased. The room was clean and our balcony had a lovely sea view. During the first couple of days it became apparent that, as people have mentioned, it's possible for a few people to ruin it for everyone else. A group of people managed to make the atmosphere quite uncomfortable and me and my boyfriend chose to spend most evenings down at Legends bar but quite honestly, even without the group there we may have done this anyway. The entertainment seemed good and the team worked hard but it is probably more appealing to families than it is to a young couple which is what we expected :). During the second week of our stay, by 8.30am all of the sunbeds had towels on them so we never spent time by the pool. The food was ok, some days they seemed to hit the nail on the head and other days you wondered what they were thinking! There was always something to eat but the food wasn't that fantastic. After the first week, me and my boyfriend were a bit depressed by the food and some of the people around the hotel ruining the atmosphere for everyone else. We met a few people who were staying in another hotel and it looked amazing and they said the food was great and all the drinks were great - but they'd paid almost £600 each for a week. That was the turning point for us! We realised that we'd paid about £500 each for TWO weeks at the ficus and decided we'd rather be on holiday for 2 weeks with average food than 1 week in a great hotel! The ficus is a good hotel but it isn't perfect - a holiday is what you make it and for the price that we paid we feel like we got a good deal. When the group of people left, the atmosphere definitely improved around the hotel but wherever you go, there will always be people like this and we tried not to let it ruin the holiday! All in all, we had a great time at the ficus and realise we got what we paid for and there are many bars and restaurants within walking distance that aren't too expensive if you do feel like a change of scenery :) The trips with Thomas Cook seemed quite expensive but we came across 'Customer Travel' in the shopping centre before the beach and went on a couple of trips with them! They did a grand tour of the island for about 45 euros each with lunch and it was a great day! Definitely check out the Music Hall Tavern if you get the chance - i turned 21 whilst at the ficus and went there on my birthday and had a brilliant time!

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank andthediamonds
Reviewed 10 July 2010

My wife and seven year old daughter returned from the Ficus on 4th July. I can honestly say that we had a fully enjoyable two weeks. The Ficus caters for families and yes you will experience some noise around the place as it is not a care home and people do stay up later than others, but we certainly did not hear anyone in the pool at 5:00am.

The entertainment bar closed at midnight and there were some who liked to sit outside until 12:30 – 1:00am but never later. On two occasions I heard some people returning from outside the apartments around 2:30am but although you could hear them talking to each other, there was no shouting. I defy anyone to take a package holiday and not hear someone coming back to their apartment in the early hours at least once.

Many people on here disapproved of the food. I can assure you that unless you have your own celebrity chef catering for you at home, you will find the food adequate and substantial. You will definitely not go hungry here. There was plenty of choice at breakfast, lunch and dinner. There was always something you could eat even for the fussiest of eaters. Breakfast consisted of a selection of cereals, cold meats and cheese, a fry up, fruits, croissants, pastries and breads. Lunch varied daily and included salads, meats, chips, paella, a choice of two pastas and a fish dish and bread or rolls. The dinner menu offered a similar variety each evening and there were occasional themed nights. Chinese and Mexican. There was also a choice of dessert and three flavours of ice cream on offer.

I cannot understand how the previous reviewers’ children could have been bored. The entertainments team worked wonders with the children. Everyday there was a variety of activities for the children and adults alike and there was no pressure if you decided that you preferred to just chill and read a book. On several occasions the children were even taken into the entertainment bar during the day for activities which left the pool nice and quiet for an hour.

The accommodation we experienced was fine. It was clean and the maid service was excellent. The maid was in five days out of seven. We had our bedding changed twice and the towels changed three times. During the whole of the two weeks we saw only two cockroaches which were outside the apartment and no ants at all. The area around the pool was cleaned every morning by staff and even the lifeguard was seen picking up litter left by others when the vacated their sun loungers.

I would agree that it's always the minority that spoil it for everyone else, and on one occasion we did experience some idiot shouting every time he potted a ball on the pool table but unless you holiday in a bubble you will always experience this to some degree.

The location of the apartments is at the end of a cul de sac. We walked to the beach via the track opposite the entrance rather than opting to take the pavement which took you past a couple of bars and shops. The path is well used and lined with small rocks either side. Although fine for small children I would not recommend pushing a buggy along it. The walk to the beach took exactly 14 minutes and this was a gentle stroll.

Hope this is of help to you. I would certainly go back to the Ficus and would recommend it. You get exactly what you pay for.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family