My partner and I stayed here for 9 nights in February 2014 having enjoyed a stay in March 2013. Having been really impressed on our first stay (and having written a 5 star review on this website less than a year ago) I have to say we were disappointed on our return due to a number of factors:
Having stayed last year we knew to ask for a bungalow this time as they are smaller but more modern. Having booked through a large online travel company (lowcostholidays.co.uk) we assumed our room request would reach the Santa Rosa without a problem. Not so (a problem with lowcost holidays rather than the hotel) and we were given a second floor apartment (2012) at the back of the property which overlooked a road. The kitchen had not been cleaner properly and the apartment was a bit dismal overall. It then took a considerable amount of 'negotiating' with the staff to get moved to a bungalow and when I spoke to the accommodation manager to politely request a move she was curt at best, whereas last year a member of staff (Olga, no longer at the hotel as far as I can tell) got us a room change with minimum fuss and maximum speed. When we did eventually get moved the smell of damp in the apartment (1038) was fairly strong but we could not face another move so kept the windows open as much as possible to make the apartment bearable.
The lack of customer service was a theme of the new look Santa Rosa. Staff now wear corporate t- shirts but some don't seem to realise their guests are a) paying good money and b) on holiday. Being told upon arrival that there are drainage problems is not what you want to hear and there was one young tattooed girl working at the pool bar and bowling alley who appeared to have had no customer training at all and was one of the least friendly people you could hope to meet on holiday.
However there are good points: English channels for free on the TV, there is now free internet access in the apartments as well as the pool bar (although apparently you cannot get in all rooms and the 16 digit code that has to be entered on a regular basis was a pain) and the bar still has it's excellent happy hour from 4-6. A game of ten pin bowling is excellent value at 2 Euros and the clientele is generally a relaxed and friendly bunch. We had breakfast on the last day and whilst reasonable value at 5 Euros I was glad we had gone self catering. The best restaurant locally is, without doubt, El Navarro although Nina's and The Fisherman's are more than adequate. I would recommend the Italian IB bar too: it's rarely busy but the fixed price menu was excellent value at 7 Euros. The Cavern was a decent bar for a reasonably priced drink/breakfast but the centre of the resort has more to offer in terms of bars and cafes.
I would hire a car to make the most of the area: many of the better restaurants and bakeries are in Teguise and places like Haria (well worth a visit) and the fishing town of Arrieta. Hire your car through Autoriesen as it was excellent value (price can't be beat as far as I can tell, good reviews in Which? magazine) and very efficient.
So not bad overall but the management needs to train its staff better and remember that its visitors are there on holiday. I notice others are giving positive reviews similar to the one I gave last year so I think we had an atypical experience this time round but I have to say we found our return disappointing and I don't think we would return to the Santa Rosa again in a hurry: it was not at the cheaper end of the accommodation we looked at but I went for it again as I thought we were guaranteed quality accommodation.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Location and Resort The apartment complex is located in Costa Teguise 350m to the beach of Playa Bastian. The town centre is only 1 km away, the capital in 6 km and to the airport only 12 km. The Santa Rosa is perfect for relaxed family holidays and now it is also your destination for a sport and active accommodation. Always thinking on the families it offers a complete entertainment program for children , 1500m2 leisure center with a Indoor Children Playground, ball pond, soft play area with slides, climbs, bridges, face painting, football, play-station, television room, (free of charge) pool table and as well as an professional Brunswick 10 pin bowing alley with 4 tracks .(Charge) The new Sports Center, opened in May 2013, offers you a wide range of sport facilities, a heated indoor semi Olympic pool of 25 meters and one heated 6x6m pool for children and rehabilitation. It also provides a fully equipped Gym with the newest equipment, Fitness room, spinning-bikes, personal trainer, classes of yoga, TRX and much more. To relax after sportive activities you can enjoy the Sauna, Jacuzzi and Turkish bath and sport massage. (Charge) The Sports Center can be used for a small fee for Clients of the Hotel. Accommodation-Apartments 1 bedroom apartments are distributed in a separate bedroom with two single beds, wardrobe with safe (for rent), bathroom with tub / shower, living room with sofa-bed of an individual place, telephone and satellite TV. A fully equipped kitchen with 2 cooking hobs, fridge, microwave, kettle and toaster. The balcony or terrace has furniture. The family apartments offer the same facilities but with 2-bedrooms and 4 single beds, 2 per room. Santa Rosa has rooms and facilities for disabled guests. (Under request) Please, contact Santa Rosa if you need to rent a scooter, wheelchair, etc. Upon arrival. During the stay the cleaning of the apartments is done 5 times per week, with 3 changes of towels per week and 1 change of linen every 5 days. Facilities and Service The reception remains open 24 hours for your safety and comfort with luggage storage and showers, and 4 Internet terminals (charge). Surrounded by a large garden area and a solarium you find the outdoor saltwater pool (heated in winter by solar panels) with separate children's pool and outdoor playground, sun loungers and parasols. Just beside the pool area you have a Snack bar with free Wi-Fi connection were you can enjoy snacks, light meals and drinks. It also features 2 restaurants for breakfast, lunch and dinner where you can choose between international themed buffet and a la carte service. (Free Wi-Fi) The complex also offers installations to play Mini-Golf, Volleyball, Football, Basketball and Petanque (free of charge) And 2 Paddle-tennis-courts (charge) ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Onthebeach, Jet2Holidays , Booking.com, TravelUp, Hotels.com, Odigeo, Priceline, Travel Republic (UK), TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Cancelon, Evoline ltd and Hotel.de so you can book your Santa Rosa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Santa Rosa Costa Teguise
- Santa Rosa Hotel Costa Teguise
- Santa Rosa Lanzarote/Costa Teguise