“Great Hotel, Food, Service; shame about the evening Entertainment.”

Blue Sea Costa Bastian
Ranked #30 of 38 Hotels in Costa Teguise
Stratford-upon-Avon, England, United Kingdom
“Great Hotel, Food, Service; shame about the evening Entertainment.”
Reviewed 1 September 2013

My wife and I, took our youngest daughter (age 13) for a 10 day holiday to the Diverhotel Playaverde, Costa Teguise, Lanzarote in August 2013.

Hotel:
The hotel was great value for money. We had a large family room with TV, bath/showerroom, changing room/area which was all kept regularly clean by friendly cleaners. The aircon in the room was just enough to give a comfortable nights sleep, especially when combined with the ceiling fan. Although the room was larger than most other hotels we have stayed in, it is worth paying the extra to upgrade to a suite as some people we met had done for a total of 60 euros for 4 people for a fortnight.
The pools felt cool on entry which provided great cooling off from the heat of the day, but soon felt warmer once in for a minute or two. The pools were shallow in most areas which suited most families with younger children even toddlers. we felt they could have been cleaned more than they were as you could feel grit at the bottom in some areas. On the whole though the pools were fantastic.
In other areas you could play crazy golf, giant chess, archery or have fun with your kids in the park area, all well maintained. We couldn't figure out what the large sunken area filled with palm trees was for though??
Food:
The standard of the food was excellent with everything being fresh and well cooked. The choice was wide and varied with fish, meat, salads, vegetables as well chips pizza etc for the fussy lol.
Drink:
Bottled water in fridges were all over the hotel for you to help yourself at anytime. Help your self beer taps were also available as were most other alcoholic drinks until 1am. The spirits were all top brands such as Gordons Gin or Ballantines whisky, and of course all served in large measures by very friendly staff. The wines were not as good as we had hoped for, but when it comes to wine we are fussy. Plenty of soft drinks and slushes for the kids also self-service.
Staff:
The staff were excellent, friendly, helpful and fun. You get back what you give we say. Richard behind the bar was particularly great, if you go call him Fred and tell him his dicky bow is upside-down:-)
Weather:
Lanzarote is equatorial and as such the sun is very strong. Even when its cloudy you will get burnt without high factor sun cream. The number of unfortunate people we saw that looked as though they had been slapped silly was unreal. even kids with blisters. I wore SPF50 and 30 and came back with a glorious tan anything lower is risky. Lanzarote is known as the windy island for a reason! the wind is actually very welcome especially in the heat of the day.
Entertainment:
The animation team do a fantastic job during the day, entertaining by the pool with crazy costumes and funny dance routines. HOWEVER the entertainment for adults is very poor so we didn't bother. its a good job we make friends easily and kept ourselves entertained.

Room Tip: Pay tthe small ammount extra to upgrade to a suite.
1 Thank Ross_Nicholls

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (307)
  • Polish first
Orpington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 September 2013

As various other people's plans had changed, I booked a fairly last minute break away on my own, as I still wanted to get away during the holidays. Like many people, I use reviews to give myself an idea of the place. As the majority of reviews were positive, that was good. The negative points raised seemed to largely focus on the food not being English enough or small gripes about personal experiences. I must admit I was sold on that idea. Personally, I like to go on holiday and eat the local style food, so this sounded for me.

When I arrived, I was very pleased by the layout of the place. I was in a Double/Twin room on the first floor, facing away from the pool but incredibly close to it nonetheless. The room was spotlessly clean and had all of the facilities one would expect: Air-con, fan, fridge, balcony area, etc. My one slight criticism would be that you had to pay extra to use the in-room safe. I would have expected that to be included. The room was cleaned every day and I had no complaints there.

The food was everything I could have hoped for. Whilst the majority of the food was laid out in the buffet section in the middle of the restaurant, there was also the "show" cooking area at the far end, where they constantly cooked a range of fresh things. For dinner and lunch, one member of staff constantly made pizza, one cooked fresh meat and fish and another cooked crepes, whilst fresh pasta and paella and other options were there too. At breakfast time you could get freshly fried eggs or, my favourite, an omelette cooked with choice of fillings. I also really loved the buffet food. There was always a good selection available to suit a variety of tastes. Whilst some could go a little cold (it was a buffet after all,) I only experienced that with one or two trays in my time there.

The additional plus of the all-inclusive was the bar and snacks available. Throughout the day there was food on offer constantly. Whether it be burgers, hot-dogs, chips from the pool bar or sandwiches and pastries in the evening in the main bar, there was something there. Added to this was the constant availability of crisps and ice-creams. For drinks you could help yourself to soft carbonated drinks, fruit juices, coffee/tea etc, slush puppies, beer and bottled water. (Also wine at meal times.) All the rest of the alcohol was available from the bar staff, who were the friendliest and most helpful bar staff I have ever been served by. Nothing was too much trouble and I loved the way they used quiet times to restock water and empty bins etc - they were never still!

Now, I am not really a sit-around the pool kind of person but even I did enjoy the times I chose to do so. Whilst people did reserve loungers with towels, you could still get one by the end of breakfast time - 10am. My only slight complaint about that would be with the people who reserve the loungers and then do not come to sit on them until the afternoon or not at all. I am not sure what can be done about it but at least there was not the undignified scramble and fight for loungers as can occur at some places. I actually really enjoyed my time in the pool and heated spa pool and on the Sun lounger for the day I chose to do it, though really must make sure I don't miss any bits with Sun cream if I do it again... My one problem with the area was the lack of shade. Not enough available whilst I was there and the Sun was very fierce.

I would have preferred a gym at the hotel but I did manage to find 2 alternatives. Firstly was the range of resistance machines on the promenade itself, which many people use as part of their daily exercise. Secondly, was the near by (5 minutes walk) Lifestyles gym, which could be joined for the day or week. It was 8 Euros for the day or 25 for the week, so it does add to the cost of the holiday.

During the day, the entertainment team worked their socks off, keeping children and adults happy with a range of games and activities. The evening entertainment was very much hit and miss, however. The out sourced shows tended to be fairly decent but the ones produced by the overworked entertainments team tended to be poor, despite their wonderful enthusiasm. However, you could go into town or just stay in the bar if that became too painful.

The hotel is on the outskirts of Costa Teguise, which does mean you need to travel if you are going to the beach or the town centre. Personally, I enjoyed the walks but it was also very cheap to get a taxi. I enjoyed walking and finding various local bars. There are several catering for an English audience a few minutes walk away (if that was wanted) and my personal favourite was the small Spanish bar located opposite the gym, which I used as a waypoint on my walks.

I loved the fact that, despite the fact the hotel was full and the alcohol freely flowing, I never once saw any drunken loutish behaviour. Yes, it could be relatively noisy but the noise never once disturbed me if I was in my room before the bar closed. I went for relaxation and a break from the pressures of work and that is exactly what I got. I really enjoyed this hotel and have already been working on convincing friends to come along on my next trip, as I would like to see if the experience was a different when travelling as a group. I am also strongly considering a visit for my Christmas holiday, as I enjoyed it so much. Yes, there are minor flaws with the place but the fact that the staff were so friendly really made this more like slipping on a favourite pair of shoes - they may be a little worn in places but they are comfortable and you know what you are getting. That is precisely what you get here. They don't have every facility known to man and there probably is room for improvement on several areas but I loved it nonetheless.

Room Tip: Pool facing rooms probably have better view but could be noisier.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
5 Thank Neil D
P-Stor, Gerente at Blue Sea Costa Bastian, responded to this review, 13 September 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for sharing your experience with us and for the time spent in your wide comments about the Diverhotel Playaverde. Almost every sector has been detailed, which gives accurate information to readers of every services offered in the hotel.

We would be pleased to welcoming you again in Christmas time or next year in a group holiday as you have mentioned. For both Christmas and Happy New Year evenings, we will prepare a special gala dinner with party afterwards with DJ and Live Music Group.

Best regards,

Lena concepcion – Manager Diverhotel Playaverde
Reviewed 31 August 2013 via mobile

Just returned from 11 night stay with my wife and 7 year old daughter, hotel is in a good location , it could do with some love and attention, pool is very nice but was very dirty which let it down, the slides packed up for 3 days due to a technical fault, I feel the hotel managment should have given information about this maybe a simple sign with an apology , instead hearing it second hand off other guests.if you wont a sunbed set your alarm for 7.30 am if you dont its lucky dip with all the broken worn out or shaded sunbeds.THE FOOD is bloody awful I am not fussy when it comes to food but it was always cold ! one night I choose some potato waffles I took them back to my table put one in my mouth it was stone cold, the cheff then put a new batch on the table so I returned to get some hot ones these were also cold ,the food was only 2 star in my opinion. I definitely would not recommend this hotel because there are much better hotels for the money, this is my honest opinion

Stayed August 2013
1 Thank grantyboy72
P-Stor, Gerente at Blue Sea Costa Bastian, responded to this review, 23 September 2013
Dear guest,
Thanks for your comments.
First of all, I would like to apologize personally for the inconvenience on the slides. Maybe we did not have the occasion to cross each other at the hotel, in which case, I would have apologized personally.
We feel that our hotel has not been at the height of your expectations, which really helps us to improve. As for the problem occurred with the slides, we could not fix on the fly because it was holiday in the island and all DIY shops and suppliers were closed. We make all we can to solve problems out as soon as possible.
Regarding the food temperature, I must apologize once again and will talk to the head of kitchen to see what the problem could be. A Diverhotel in Playa Senator has a variety of seven menus per week, one for each day, and includes a wide variety such as cold vegetables for salads, two-three types of fish and meat plus the meats and fishes offered in the show-cooking, a choice of 4 desserts, crêpes, rices, pasta, pizza, among other dishes.

Lena Concepción Ramírez – Manager Diverhotel PlayaVerde

Travellers are raving about these Costa Teguise hotels

Preston, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 August 2013

spent 10 nights at this hotel .found the food OK need to get better bacon and sausages , the pool is OK if they where at the right depth , they topped it up while we were there. room was OK if door on to balcony worked rights could not close it had to leave it on vent all the time ( room 337 ).
the entertainment at night is a bit hit or miss ,but the team do try there best with a limited budget, the girl alba is great and sol and mili are ok , all the hotel staff were friendly and helpful.what made the holiday was the people we met ,marc ,sarah and leah (from derby), Raphael and lydia , Ruben and Eva ( from spain ). overall if the hotel spent a bit more money and fixied all the small faults it would make this a great hotel, a curtsy bus to the town center and beach would help too

1 Thank mikedawnlaura
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your comments and for choosing Diverhotel Playaverde as your holiday residence. Your views about the hotel services will help us to improve.
Bacon and sausages are served daily for breakfast. They are freshly bought in the island. We will keep an eye in the way of cooking them to check it is been done correctly. The design of the swimming pool imitates a beach. It gets deeper as you enter into it.
Despite the small faults founded, all the staff is pleased that you have enjoyed your holidays and hope to welcoming you again.
We stay at your entire disposal.

Lena Concepción Ramirez – Manager Diverhotel Playaverde
North Yorkshire, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 August 2013

My partner and I returned from a week staying in the Playaverde Hotel in Costa Teguise last Wednesday and I have got to say, we had the most wonderful holiday!

If you’re not overly anal about things then this hotel is great. When we first arrived we were famished and the first thing we noticed were the pastries and sandwiches available to the hotel guests in between meals in the front bar. When entering our room, we found everything we needed such as a clean room with fresh linen, towels and toiletries. The room may have needed a slight modernisation but this is something that really didn’t bother us.
We had plenty of space to hang our clothes and the room had a safe and a fridge. Our balcony over looked a vast amount of palm trees and a lovely pool and beyond that, we got a view of the sea on the horizon.

There is a kids pool, a pool for the 3 slides, a main pool with waterfalls and water pipes spraying water, hot Jacuzzi pool and a larger cooler Jacuzzi. Throughout the day, staff run activities in the pool such as a pool dance and volley ball but they also do other activities through the day throughout the hotel such as shooting and archery. The staffs are absolutely brilliant and most walk around smiling, full of enthusiasm.

Our first day was spent venturing around the area to see what it had to offer and found we were able to walk along the sea front within 10 minutes using the back gate of the hotel through the mini golf area. We managed to get ourselves booked on a few excursions for the week in the ‘lastminute’ excursion office which is a bit future down the road from the turning to the beach.

To get to the nearest beach is about 15 minutes walk but there are some gorgeous yellow sand beaches a little bit further (maybe 20-25mins) which you must visit! The sea is so clear you can even see the fish.
Beyond these yellow beaches is the town of Costa Teguise which is jam packed with restaurants, bars and shops including a night club or two.

The food at our hotel was brilliant! There is something for everyone and my very fussy partner enjoyed plateful after plateful all week. There is a grill area where you can go and get fresh food cooked in front of you while you wait such as pizza, grilled chicken, steaks, sea bass, paella, omelette and other various dished but not forgetting freshly made crepes/pancakes with a variety of toppings.
In the main section of the restaurant, there is always fresh salad, cheeses and cold meats. In the hot section there’s something different every night from hunters chicken and beef stew to white fish in sauce and curried vegetables but always plenty of choice for the fussy eater.
In the mornings the breakfast selection is vast again from full English to croissants and cereal and fruit. The only thing lacking in the full English section are proper sausages as these are substituted with hotdog sausages.
One huge down fall for me was the evening entertainment. To be completely honest for couples or groups of friends without kids, the evening entertainment is rubbish. It involves handing out the certificates from the day time activities followed by dancing for the kids or maybe a competition where a few guests will get on the stage and take part in some kind of game. All evening entertainment is finished by 11pm.
My partner and I AND many other couples we spoke too all thought it was dreadful and on occasions we left the hotel on an evening to go to Costa Teguise where we enjoyed the nightlife.

If you get to book excursions, you must book ‘the grand tour’ – it is absolutely brilliant and you get to see some amazing things that you’ll never forget. And if you like looking round markets then go to the Teguise Sunday market (4 Euros return when you book with lastminute) there are 600+ stalls that sell just about anything and you get really get a bargain. Always haggle. We managed to get a bag priced at 25euros down to 11euros so you must be stubborn to get yourself a deal!

All in all, we had an absolutely brilliant holiday and although the location was a bit of a walk to most places, we still thought the hotel was lovely. If the entertainment on an evening was changed and there was more for the adults and extended to maybe 12:30am then we would without most definitely return.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Ali M
Dear guest,
I feel glad about the experience that you will keep of your holidays at Diverhotel Playaverde. Guests satisfaction is our main goal.
The hotel chain Playa Senator has three hotel lines: Senator hotels, located in big cities, Playa hotels in the coastline of Andalusia and Canaries, and Diverhotels, a new all inclusive line specialized in families with small children. For this reason, our entertainment is mainly focused in this public. Eventhough, we appreciate your vision and will study improvements in this sense. The evening entertainment starts with a minidisco for the youngest ones at 9:30 pm. At 10 pm we offer entertainment for adults, including external shows as magicians, dance shows, circus, flamenco...
The whole Playaverde team is at your disposal and we hope to see you again.

Lena Concepción Ramírez – Manager Diverhotel Playaverde
Southampton, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 August 2013

I have just returned home from 10nights at playaverde hotel. 14th-24th. I don't really understand how people can co main so much about this hotel, its great okay some wasted space but it doesn't cause any problems. There are not any parasols as it is too windy to out them up and would just cause arguments.

The sunbeds isn't a problem unless you wanna come down at lunch time then you probably won't get one but that's expected anywhere. We didn't have a problem any of the days we was there.

There are a few bars and restaurants about 5min walk from the hotel (use back door). Or you ca go into teguise yes it's a bit of a walk but for 3euros you may aswell get a taxi which the hotel would be more than happy to arrange for you.

Food was okay. There's pizza pasta and carbonara every night aswell everything else.

All in all a great family holiday no problems at all. Entertainment could be better. But a holiday is what you make of it.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
P-Stor, Gerente at Blue Sea Costa Bastian, responded to this review, 29 August 2013
Dear Guest,
As the Manager of the Diverhotel Playaverde, I must say that I am pleased that you have enjoyed your holidays and that you have found every services you needed, such as Bars and Restaurants near the hotel, facilities by the pool area of the hotel and always something to drink or eat. As an All Inclusive hotel, we offer drinks from 8:00 am until 1:00 am. Also snacks are available at our Pool Bar when the restaurant is closed.
I am looking forward to welcoming you next year.

Yours faithfully,

Lena Concepción – Manager Diverhotel Playaverde
Reviewed 24 August 2013 via mobile

Due to pool area too cramped not enough beds for number of guests , so you have to fight for a bed !!
Large area with palm trees ,, why !
Could be a kids playground, the hotel need to pick up litter and buy some paint !!!
Food good staff helpful but serious problem with pool and sun beds needs addressing
Would i recommend this hotel ? No way

• Stayed August 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your comments as they are our main tool to improve each day.
The Palm Trees area is an icon in our hotel, designed to have natural shade when you lay on a sun bed. Palm trees have been recently loped and for this reason there is not enough shade, but there will be soon. There is a playground in the play area of the hotel, where the miniclub is.
Regarding the sunbeds problem, we put as many as possible around the swimming pool and try our best to have one for every guest, eventhough sometimes it is impossible due to the lack of room.
Once again, thank you for your comments.
Lena Concepción – Manager Diverhotel Playaverde
#29 of 37 in Playa Blanca
Hotel Beatriz Costa & Spa
Hotel Beatriz Costa & Spa
#20 of 38 in Costa Teguise

Been to Blue Sea Costa Bastian? Share your experiences!