“nice hotel”

Blue Sea Costa Bastian
Ranked #29 of 38 Hotels in Costa Teguise
Reviewed 29 June 2014

We had never been to Lanzarote before so it was on trip advisor that we got our info on both the island and the hotel.

windy and clouds with hot sun, thats the weather for our 10 night stay....

the hotel.... firstly it has recently changed its name so seems to have an identity crisis, signs vsry between Playa Verdi and Diverhotel, which seems to set the tone across the hotel lacking just that final touch.

it is clean and well presented with spacious rooms, sadly the aircon can be a bit hit and miss, took several dsys for our one to be fixed, the room fans and fridges are a welcome addition however, in the 3 rooms we occupied not all worked which made the rooms too hot atvtimes.

The restuarant is very big, clean and well presented, the staff are very efficient and the food is extremely good, pizza is a must at lunchtime...

Soft drinks were available all day as well as icecream, it was nice to pour your own beer from the tap and we rarely saw a que for drinks.

entertainment for the kids seemed good but lacked for adults in the evening, however the staff did try...

The pool was freezing and lacked umbrellas, the few they had were worth getting up early for.

generally this is a nice hotel and a very relaxing place but just needs some attention in places to bring it up to a real nice place.

Room Tip: Pay the premium to not be over the dining room
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
8  Thank paul T
P-Stor, Gerente at Blue Sea Costa Bastian, responded to this reviewResponded 4 March 2015

Dear Guest,
The first is to thank you for your comment. We are delighted that you have spent a pleasant stay with us.

Reviewed 28 June 2014

We stayed at the Diverhotel (aka Playaverde) for an all-inclusive short week getaway after finding a great offer. We didn’t have to pay too much but were incredibly impressed by our stay at the resort. We stayed as a young couple, but were alongside plenty of lovely families.

+ All inclusive range was really impressive with different themed nights to keep things different. Fresh bread was prepared constantly and tasted amazing. All food was lovely and suited many tastes for different European visitors. Be sure to ask for the fresh crepes and toppings!
- Although some meat was live cooked each night to order, we found a few bits were raw.
- Poolside food was available, but wasn’t great.

Drinks
+ Wide range of branded spirits. Beer and wine (which tasted great) were available on tap at all times in the day. Poolside bar really conveniently placed. Check out the frozen cocktails too!
- The ‘pre made’ cocktails were disappointing and although some bar staff were able to make other requested cocktails, many didn’t know how. Avoid the mojito’s which tasted like watery mint sauce.

Pool
+ Really nice themed pool with a good hot tub. Surrounded my lots of international trees and greenery. Nice slides and kids pool for families too. Attentive life guard who was on duty every day and was seen cleaning the pool at all times.
+ Lots of sunbeds and umbrellas available
- Was very cold at times
- Poolside toilets were not close to main area

Cleanliness
+ Hotel was INCREDIBLY clean with rooms being freshened each and every day. Cleaning staff were always present all over the hotel tidying each small detail.
+ Maids returned later in the day should you wish to not be disturbed.

Rooms
+ Everything you could ask for. Very clean and comfortable beds. New towels and bedding every day. Air Conditioning/Large Mirrors and Hairdryer. All rooms face into the central area of palm trees and the pool so no bad views.
+ Small balcony to take drinks back to and sit out on at night.
+ Lifts up to all rooms, very accessible for all.
+ Third floor offers best views
+ Very large safe available to hire for a fee. Hotel feels very safe.
- Could do with updating. Showers were a little hit and miss with temperature

Staff
+ Couldn’t do enough for us, and big kudos to all the restaurant staff who just didn’t stop, constantly cleaning tables, bussing away plates and cutlery. Very hard working.
- Check in wasn’t overly friendly which was a shame.

Entertainment / Evening
+ Upbeat Animacion team who were eager to get people involved all day, fun for kids, but left you alone if you said no.
- Evening entertainment was a little lacklustre
- There was not enough outside seating for the evening time, only a few sofas and tables, which was annoying if you wanted to escape the inside. There was no background music during the evening either which made the atmosphere a little strange; instead there was Spanish talk show radio which isn’t what you want in the evening.

Other
+ Lovely reception area with WiFi and even exotic birds.
+ Short walk to beaches and local Commercial Centre
+ Nice balance of English guests
+ Little shop and spa in reception should you need it
- Hotel name was a bit confusing as locals/transfers referred to it as Playa Verde, yet sign said Diverhotel and all the logos around resort said ‘Playa Hotels’
- For those wanting to spend their holiday inside watching TV (Why?) there is only two English speaking channels

Overall we had a really lovely time and would recommend it to all.

Thanks for a great holiday!

Room Tip: All rooms equal as all face the same way, but third floor offers a view of the grounds.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
8  Thank drf91

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your comment. We are very pleased knowing that we have done a good service during your vacation. I regret that the mojito was not to your liking, but that week we had a problem with the machinery, which has already been replaced, so we continue offering to our guests the mojito deserve to enjoy. I understand that the toilets are a bit far from the pool, therefore, among other things will perform next season some refurbishments in the hotel including themed rooms with the landscapes of the island. As for the name of the hotel, the current name is "Diverhotel Lanzarote", formerly "Playaverde". The name change is because although we belong to the Playasenator chain, offer a different product to our guests as the all inclusive and themed rooms that will have next season.

Reviewed 26 June 2014

Firstly I will start with the negative and that is the price of renting a safe 5.25 euros a day is the most expensive I have ever had to pay, there is a special offer for the week price 26 euros,I do expect to pay for the hire of one even in a four star but have never paid more than 3 euros a day, so please be aware and budget for it!
Now for the positives.
Staff very friendly everyone without exceptions.
Food and restaurant very nice
Drinks great standard including branded names
Entertainment excellent through the day and good in the evening
Sun beds always available any time of day
Pool area very clean although the pool was a little on the chilly side
Snacks including crisps, popcorn,burgers sandwiches cakes
Rooms clean and functional.

Would I return yes in a heartbeat even with the price of the safe!

Room Tip: It is definitely worth paying for a private transfer 20 minutes after landing sat in hotel having a...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
8  Thank penbertie

Dear Guest,
First of all thank you very much for your comment. We are very pleased to have passed a pleasant stay in our facilities. The safe is to be paid separately in order to guarantee our service and make this the best possible service.

Reviewed 25 June 2014

What a great little hotel this is. Packed with the best most friendliest staff I have ever come across every one of them a little gem, from the cleaners to the reception, the resturant to the bar areas superb. A special mention must go to Abi and Mili of the animation team who worked tirelessly to provide entertainment all day and night.
I believe this hotel was recently taken over by a larger group, whilst we where there management where on site reveiwing things. Whilst this hotel maybe a little tired and dated it was in very good clean and tidy condition, I'm sure we would all love to stay in a hotel that still has that 'new' smell.
I was up on the 3rd floor and found the rooms large and comfortable, cleaned and well taken care of. You do not have to go far for the lifts but I find the walk up and down stairs a good way to help walk off the fantastic selection of food I had just eaten.
I have been on a number of all inclusive deals before and found this hotel provided by far the biggest and best selection ever, there really was something for everyone.
This is very much a family hotel and the pool caters for that, don't expect to be doing olympic swimming here, the water tends to be a little cold, maybe better in the hotter months as the sun warms it.
The 25 minute walk into town is well worth it along the wide walkway. The whole area is spotless and well keep with a couple of man made beach areas.
I do not go on holiday to read English newspapers/ eat English food and watch the TV. I'm there to enjoy myself and any new experience that a holiday will bring. This hotel gave me everything I wanted and needed. I shall be back!
If the managment require any independant customer input I shall be happy to oblige.I was here first two weeks of June.

Room Tip: Rooms 303 upwards will give you a geat view
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
12  Thank mijas2007
P-Stor, Gerente at Blue Sea Costa Bastian, responded to this reviewResponded 2 February 2015

Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your comment. We are very happy that you have spent a pleasant stay with us and that you enjoyed our facilities.

Reviewed 24 June 2014 via mobile

We stayed at the Diver Hotel(Formally Playa Verde)in June for a 2 week all-inclusive holiday.
On arrival we got room number 217.
On entering the room,we had a cracked sink,which had insects crawling around it.I went down to reception and asked to be moved,to which I was told,there weren't any other rooms available.
They said that there were other rooms,but these were in the process of refurb.Then a maid came in and sprayed insect killer around the sink.
The wife then took photos on her phone and showed the guy on reception,who then agreed to move us to another room.
Eventually,we had a ground floor room,which was a lot better.
The hotel then placed a bottle of Cava in an ice bucket in our room and issued us with 2 room keys for the inconvenience.
That was the rant over.
The hotel is not bad.Its clearly an old hotel that is need of a makeover.
The pools are good and clean and have 2 pools which has 2 water slides,are fine for children above 0.8m tall.
Our 4 year old daughter absolutely loved it.She made lots of friends,including a young French boy who had an understanding of each other.even though they both spoke a different language.
The pool lifeguard is very good at his job(Long blonde hair and beard),but when he had his day off,the other lifeguard was useless and lazy.
The beer is readily available on tap around the hotel.Wine is also available in Red,Rose and White and is not bad at all.The vodkas are generous,and getting a drink is a pleasure and numbers of drinks was never an issue.
There are plain flavour crisps available and also Chocolate and Strawberry ice creams available for the kids in freezers all over the hotel.
The food in the restaurant is ok.It certainly isn't the best I've tried.After about 5 days it gets hard to pallet.Everything is cooked in oil or garlic.We ate a few times down Teguise town.The Cutty Sark is ran by a couple from the Luton area(Mark and Becky) and does some lovely grub with homemade chips and a Lasagne that I would recommend to anyone.
The wifi in the hotel is available free for an hour a day,but you have to sit-in between the main bar and reception to get it.
We paid 20 euros to get unlimited internet on our tablet for our daughter to watch her programmes on.
The entertainment is a bit on the poor side,with not much for either children or adults to do(apart from the usual mini disco).
The animation team work hard all day to try and make everyone happy and to be fair to them,don't do a bad job.
If I had the chance to change anything,I would give the whole place a refurb and place flat screen TV's in all rooms to replace the ugly old bulky TV's and have some satellite channels put on.
I would go back to the hotel because overall we had a lovely time and met some really nice people.I just couldn't stomach the food for a fortnight.
One thing that's to watch is the back gate by the mini golf course,it is supposed to be key activated,it's broken and if you have young children,take note,it can easily be pushed open.
We didn't get our room cleaned everyday,instead it was every 3.They said we were in a promo room,even though I don't think we were.
Water is also free to take as much as you want,which is a real plus point.There are hotels which do charge for water.
Overall it's not a bad hotel,it just needs an overhaul and the entertainment program needs to be better.The World Cup games were on and this left the kids with nothing to do.They maybe should have had another room where the kids could have been entertained a bit more.
Enjoy your stay.We did.

Stayed: June 2014
6  Thank Richierich110271

Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your comment. As for the reference in the changing room, at that time the hotel was full so it was difficult for a room change, and as soon as a room was available we offered that change. Some of our rooms will be refurbished in 2015 summer season, including themed rooms with landscapes of our island and other surprises that I invite you to come and meet. In the restaurant we use a Mediterranean diet in many of our dishes, this is reason why you found oil and garlic in some of them. We also have much more variety of dishes in order to have increased dietary diversity. The back door was repaired and we have completely changed as well to ensure the safety of all our guests.

Reviewed 22 June 2014

I would like to extend my appreciation to all Staff of this Hotel for everything they did for my cousin Susan Marriott along with her Son Bailey, she has told me today just how wonderful everyone was to her at such a sad time. Susan told me that simply everyone went out of their way to help and she"s so grateful for their kindness! Thank you from the bottom of my heart..

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Dianne M
P-Stor, Gerente at Blue Sea Costa Bastian, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2014

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your comments given towards our establishment and our staff, I will communicate it directly to all the staff.
We are very sorry that your cousin could not pass the holidays as expected due to his husband’s accident. Eventhough I know that it would be a bit hard to return to our hotel, we would be delighted to welcoming you again here or in any of our thirty one Playa Senator hotels, located all over the Spanish territory.

Reviewed 22 June 2014

My husband and I stayed here in March. We found the food to be good and varied. The staff were all pleasant and well mannered. The rooms were kept clean and linens changed regularly. There was a slight problem for a couple of days with the water supply but we were kept informed. The rooms could do with a re-vamp as they were a bit 80s. Disappointed that we had to walk almost a mile to get a newspaper. May I suggest that newspapers and magazines, which most holidaymakers read around the pool, would make an added, small income to the hotel.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience on Tripadvisor.
It is foreseen that on 2015 we will have new thematic rooms in the hotel with new decoration. Among the brands of Playa Senator, Diverhotels have the particularity of thematic rooms.
The souvenirs shop in our hotel is dealing with suppliers to sell daily newspapers and magazines. We will continue working on this issue and consider your impressions so that in your next visit your perception of our product is entirely satisfactory.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Costa Teguise
#2 of 38 in Costa Teguise
THB Tropical Island
THB Tropical Island
#25 of 37 in Playa Blanca

Been to Blue Sea Costa Bastian? Share your experiences!