“The bad reviews are true.”

Diverhotel Lanzarote
Ranked #29 of 38 Hotels in Costa Teguise
Hertfordshire, United Kingdom
“The bad reviews are true.”
Reviewed 30 July 2014

I went to this hotel for 5 days 6 nights as a cheap break I booked it about a week before I went as I wanted to get away and I couldn't wait to get home. As you arrive into the hotel the bright coloured sign outside makes it look very chavy, the reception staff were nice and helpful. As we arrived into our room it was ok nothing majorly to complain about , except the bed sheets did not get changed until the last night and you do not get fresh towels so therefore have to use the same towels you have washed with for every day.
The food was terrible I lived on pizza for the 6 nights I didn't mind so much the burgers but that was the only meat I ate out there and trust me I am not a fussy eater, the breakfast was ok but the toaster is ridiculous I had to toast my bread 5 times before it was slightly toasted.
You had to put your towel down very early or you would miss having a sunbed for the day and every time u sat on the sunbed if you didn't push it down it would come out of its socket very uncomfortable.

The pool was nice but shame there was leaves on the bottom and a plastic plate was in there at one time. The evening entertainment was AWFUL at one point I felt sorry for one of the girls who had to mime a song she didn't no the words to.

I have no idea how this hotel has a 4 star rating it is defiantly a 3 star I have been to hotels all around the world and can honestly say this is the worst one I have been to.

4 Thank Lauren T
P-Stor, Gerente at Diverhotel Lanzarote, responded to this review, 4 August 2014
Dear Guest,
The team of the Diverhotel Lanzarote thanks you for choosing us and regrets, at the same time, that your stay has not been as nice as expected for a holiday time.
Towels in the room are changed everyday if the guest requests it so. You just need to place on the bide as a sign of wish to change them. Sheets are changed every three days, except if they are too dirty, in which case they are changed as many times as needed. However, if you pay for a promo room the cleaning service takes place every three days.
Costa Teguise is a bit windy, which makes plastic rubbish for the All Inclusive difficult to store in the rubbish and sometimes a plate or a glass end in the water. We have a swimming pool maintenance everyday who arrives at 7 am to clean and tidy the swimming pool before the opening.
Once again, thank your for the comments. Hope to see you another time.

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (297)
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 July 2014

Get up at 7 if you want a sunbed although my towel was removed by pool guard, apparently all are removed at 09.30 for pool to open at 10.00i watched and photographed the next day none were removed. I got a sunbed twice in 2 weeks. Rooms tidied not cleaned the body hair on the bidet for a fortnight (despite complaining) proved that. Expect to have to ask for toilet roll to be replaced it's not done as a matter of course. Palm trees looked dead others outside the hotel which were the same species looked much healthier. Watch your kids on the cacti nasty if they prick themselves. Wifi for a week costs same as I pay at home for 4 months and the free 60 mins a day worked once on my iPhone 5 and ipad and twice on my partners android devices. Entertainment great if you like having a tennis ball on string tied round your head to try and knock a bottle over. Shows mimed which would be ok if the person miming knew the words. I totally agree with previous reviewer though and the fist language should always be the local language, English was given as were other languages, have to also agree the bird show was the best but we did only sit through that, the flamenco and for a few minutes of some of the other ones.. Watch the broken tiles on stairs, my partner sprained her ankle falling on them (not alcohol related she does not drink alcohol at 09.00!) reception staff totally uninterested did not even offer first aid, good job she is an orthopaedic nurse! Lack of seating because the outside space is not big enough to accommodate the amount of guests. We were there a fortnight, due to flight times that equated to 39 meals, we ate 10 and 2 of them were cheese and biscuits, it is hard to cater for all tastes but it helps if the food is labelled so you know what it is, some dishes were many were not and when we asked staff unable to understand us. One light on wall held together with electrical tape the other hanging off the wall. Broken window outside room had piece of plastic stuck over it, by the end of each day the heat had caused it to peel off so it was duly stuck back with more Sellotape. I agree it's not the most expensive hotel but it boasts four stars and should deliver. Every pool rule written up we saw broken; u could not shower they did not work, we saw dogs by the pool, people eating, drinking out of china cups and smoking and inflatables were being used( no issue personally with that my kids always loved them and it's nice to see the kids having fun). Archery 1 bow 2 arrows between 15 the day we were going to do it so we gave up that idea! Rules said trousers must be worn at dinner by men this is the norm in every 4 star hotel we have visited even when we were in Thailand and egypt where it's a lot warmer than lanzarote! No one stuck to this, which I must admit I was pleased about but it's another thing that shows this is not 4 star. Our rep Hilary was great and she pulled us through this holiday but we are in the process of complaining to the operator and hotel owners. If you get there and decide to change hotel the diver will take £100 of your total paid for each night you have been there, we did try to change and the diver wanted to take £400 for 3 nights/4days we had been there, sorry but this hotel is not worth that. The only things to do all day are the pool which you can't get near or mini golf and in all fairness how many games of mini golf can one play without it getting a tad boring? There is giant chess but as with mini golf how many games can you play? Ow and afternoon snacks; one type of sandwich nothing telling you what is in it but upon inspection dry bread, no butter and a slice of meat, it went in bin. Crisps and ice cream are nice, branded spirits is good to see and nice to be able to just help yourself to beer (if the gas isn't too high and you end up with just froth) soft drinks and tea/coffee, water etc. would be nice to get filter coffee all day not just with breakfast. No tea/coffee in room I read you can higher a kettle but never saw that advertised also advert said room service and mini upon request never saw these advertised and staff unable to understand when asked. All in all the worst holiday in many years of travelling with children, teenagers and lately just the two of us. Sorry this is negative but one can only be honest in the opinion one expresses. Ow forgot to add the light held by electricians tape (not the one hanging off the wall) was repaired at gone 21:00 on night before we left, we left at 04.20 next day! This was only after raising it with and showing Hilary our rep, it was reported when we first arrived! Hotel was also starting to noisy when we left lots of load drunkeness late at night.

7 Thank Malc C
Dear Guests,
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback regarding our hotel. I am certainly disappointed that your stay was not all what it could have been.

We will have very much in mind your impressions and we will work to improve these points marked so that in the next visit your perception of the product received is entirely satisfactory.

Travellers are raving about these Costa Teguise hotels

Wales, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 July 2014

Right then, I have just arrived home from a week at this hotel, Start with the positives as they say...
The hotel was located within 20 minutes of the airport, so nice easy coach ride over. The hotel staff were very pleasant upon arrival. The hotel looked very clean, and as we made our way to the room it was in fact spotless.
Every day the staff were keen enough to help any issues that u had.
Now I am afraid to the negatives, The air condition in our room was very loud and very poor, the facility was just an old style ceiling fan which circulates the same air around the room, so this kept the room hot at all times.
The pool was cold all week, and with the over cast we had most days, looks that it will stay that way all summer.
The biggest issue we had was towels being placed on the sun loungers. The first morning we were not aware of this, so we just went down to the pool after breakfast, to find no sun loungers available. We asked if there was any, and the life guard ( do not speak much English) said there was no more available any were.
So we had to sit by the bar on a table and chairs for the whole day. After that I realized that at around 7 - 7.30 every morning people get up and put towels on the sun loungers. so be advised that i am afraid you will have to join them. Then every day some towels would be moved, and family's would be arguing with the life guard, only to find that they had moved them into there little hut, and then they get them for you, but you have lost your sun beds.

When it happened to us one afternoon I went and asked for them and very frustratingly asked who and why were they moved, but the woman lifeguard looked at me as if to say I don't understand you!!!!!!!!! So I am unsure as to why this happens, But we never went on our sun beds until after dinner and they were moved.
Then the same issue happened trying to find a sun lounger.

Overall the holiday was a nice break away. It was very clean and food was nice, and plenty of choice and availability.
This was more of a family hotel with slides and entertainment for the kids. All in all was a nice week, just wish i knew those few issues before I went to be ready for it.

Room Tip: rooms to the right of the hotel are newly refurbished
1 Thank Tyronp8
Dear Guest,
Thank you for staying with us during your holidays.
The hotel internal rules does not allow to book sun loungers for more than 30 minutes to avoid this kind of problems. After that period, the lifeguard takes the towels off the sun beds so they are free for other guests. Regarding the air conditioner we would like to inform you that was working properly all the time, I’m sorry if the temperatures reached during your stay have not been entirely pleasant.
We are working daily to offer the best to our guests, and I hope you would see it in a future.

Yours sincerely

neilston
Reviewed 27 July 2014

Right. I'm a half-full kinda girl, so let's start with the positives + then the negatives - :

I'd like to point out I speak Spanish which was very useful in getting any problems/queries resolved very quickly (staff's English was mainly not good). 2 week stay, 2 rooms.

Hotel + very clean, not too big, friendly guests so easy to meet people of all nationalities (British, Spanish, French mainly). Free use (deposit only) of crazy golf, table tennis, French boules. No noisy, drunken 18-30s. - Isolated and long walk or 4 euro taxi ride to main resort. Have to pay for safe and wi-fi if you want more than one hour. Need more chairs in reception as can only use wi-fi there. Children ran around (cos not a lot for young teenagers to do) tables and in reception and played in lifts, thinking it was fun to spill drinks and watch people slip (parents should be ashamed and staff didn't deal with this either). Big problem - toilets at reception end and none at other end of hotel where pool and evening entertainment / bar are. Toilets often blocked, not flushed, no toilet roll. We reported this a few times and they even tried to give mum a roll for her to put in the toilet!

Rooms + big beds, clean, nice towels changed regularly, air con was fab, coolbox (NB it's not a fridge!), balcony overlooked palm tree area and pool with sea in distance. - I like a firm mattress but was SO hard I had back pain which I now have to go to the doctor's about. Balcony rails need a good clean - dirty and paint peeling. Mum's room (323) very bad smell like cabbage. TV stopped showing all channels but was fixed very quickly.

Staff + very friendly and extremely hard working. Hotel obviously saving money by having same member of staff working very long hours and doing more than one job at the same time. Lifeguard (first male and then Jenny) were very vigilant about kids' safety (despite guests complaining about this, would you believe!) As I speak Spanish I ended up spending a lot of time helping Jenny translate and helping guests request parasols (all I wanted to do was relax, sunbathe or swim, mind you!). My husband spent time carrying bases and parasols to English guests to help out. Special mention for professionalism and helpfulness goes to Lydia and Jose Luis on reception. - Manageress Concepcion needs to copy this attitude of her staff and smile more. Looked very efficient and business like but would do better to appreciate helpful guests rather than rewarding guests with complaints with cava served to their rooms!

Pool + 2 jacuzzis, quite big pool, cooling waterfalls, slides for kids. - very cold but OK once swimming. Showers not working. No toilet at pool, so no surprise kids' pool was closed a couple of days for cleaning/water change. No chairs at pool area unless you sit at the bar. Had to ask for parasols and were only about 6 functional. I was told by reception they don't want to put them out (even if guests ask and explain their child has severe sunburn) as they get damaged in the wind and guests argue over them. Sorry, but paying customers need them, other hotels in the area have plenty and have the same wind! Final word was that the brochure doesn't state parasols are available and that if we wanted shade we should go to the palm tree area. I may point out this means carrying your own bed down some stairs and then going up and down stairs to the pool area to swim/go to pool bar.

Food and drink + plenty of choice to suit all tastes and nationalities. Bar open till 12.50am. Best all inclusive provision we've had in years of hotel stays. Can have champagne breakfast with cava if you want! - Restaurant very hot, so we sat outside if we could get a table. Pool burgers awful, hot dogs OK and chips good.

Entertainment + JJ and Ana so friendly and hard working. Air rifle shooting great fun. - Evening entertainment awful despite best efforts of JJ and Ana. Best was bird display and juggling act. Otherwise, it was Butlin's audience participation stuff. Seriously need to employ more professional entertainers/singers etc. Only background music was in the bar which was too hot to sit in. No music outside so we made our own by having a sing song with other guests!

Lanzarote - first time here and we loved the island. Hired a car for four days and did every tourist attraction. Loved the breeze to cool you down but actually got a bit cold some evenings so take a shawl/jacket.

Weighing up the positives and the negatives we had a great holiday at this hotel. It is what you make it after all! Enjoy!

Room Tip: Least noise on third floor. Our rooms(323 and 327) were in middle block, so didn't get much sun...
4 Thank justbigb0ned
Dear Guest,
First of all thank you for your comment on Tripadvisor. I regret that your impression of our hotel has not been better, but I like to know that we have complied with the service standards. Both safe and wifi are services that are not included in the room rate, therefore, should be paid separately. As for the wifi is managed by an external company that offers half hour a day connection to those guests wishing to connect to internet, but for longer connection or to connect to the internet from the room must be paid for the service. The fact that so many umbrellas are not placed in the pool is a safety issue. Next season will make a number of improvements in our facilities and themed rooms and many more news.
I am looking forward to welcoming you soon again.

london
Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

I just got back from a week at playaverde. The hotel grounds are well kept apart from the terribly shabby fountain outside, my kids loved the birds in the avery.
Check in was quick and simple, reception staff polite and helpful.

We had two inter joining rooms both clean and perfectly adequate although on need of repair in places. On the second day a piece of the sink fell off onto my foot bruising it, I wasn't offered any first aid or even asked if I was ok. Tool the staff 4 hours to get someone to remove the mess.
The pool at the start of our week was cold but fairly clean but deteriorated as the week passed. Only one jacuzzi worked all week and this was dirty and cold. On our last day someone had vomited in the pool and the lifeguard just carried on letting everyone in.

The food here is a big let down. Breakfast is ok but a lot of the food is left sitting all day, the bread was always hard and the dinner choices poor. We ate out 4 days as we couldn't bear it any longer.
The cocktails are premixed and all taste like mouthwash absolutely disgusting.
The staff here work continuously hard and always seemed busy our room was tidied every day but the sheets and towels were not changed. Noticed quite a few cockroaches around the place also.

Ok if you're on a budget but don't expect much from the food.

Stayed July 2014
Dear Guest,

First of all thank you for your comments, because it is the best way to learn about the experiences of our guests.

I regret the inconvenience with the sink and sorry if the attention received was not what you expected and fortunately we are pleased that you are OK.
Regarding the food, we have a variety of 11 diferents menus served along the week. The bread is daily made and comply with all health regulations about it. We have done some work in the pool area and we regret that you have not completely enjoyed our facilities, however we are pleased to inform you that we work daily to improve each and every one of our services.
Once again thank you for help us to improve our service.

Leyland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 July 2014

We have just returned from a 7 night all inclusive break. The hotel was lovely, very clean and all the staff were very welcoming and friendly. The food was buffet style but they also had a chef on hand at every meal to cook food to order. The food was first class and the choice was amazing. The deal also included free tubs of ice cream and packets of crisps for those who could manage any extras after all the gorgeous food. The pool area was great for kids with a waterfall, slides and fountains. We are quite fussy people and we could not fault the cleanliness, the excellent customer service from the staff and the food, we would definitely recommend this hotel.

5 Thank Maureen M
P-Stor, Gerente at Diverhotel Lanzarote, responded to this review, 30 July 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much in deed for the nice comments about your stay at our hotel. We would be pleased to welcoming you soon again. Do not hesitate to contact us personally to book your next holidays or make special requests of room number , area, etc.
Dumbarton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 July 2014

Just returned from a 7 night all inclusive break! The hotel was very clean and the staff were friendly and helpful, went out their way to provide good service! The pools were nice, hot spa (which fluctuated in heat) but was still very nice, other spa was cold which was a disappointment! Chutes for the kids were great and the kids club entertainers were great, only we didn't get any info about this, you have to check the board in reception area. The evening entertainment was a bit of a disappointment, finished every night about 11, even though bar was still open till 12/1 and they didn't really put on much in way of a show, it was mostly the reps that performed with different acts, didn't appear to like pay for entertainment, and no disco as such type thing. So improvements could be made there. Food was standard for all inclusive, but better variety than what we've had in previous 3stars!! Just it wasn't very hot at times, but there was a microwave provided if you wanted to heat it up!! Rooms were immaculate and kept clean, maids in every day (although didn't always change towels), balcony bit of a let down, needs modernisation and repair!! Rooms had air con and had a nice look!! We never got our pool view as booked with travel agent, fully booked, so be careful if your travel agent offer you this as they charge you for it but dont check with hotel first for availability. Overall we enjoyed our holiday and would return, I wdn't take any notice of negative reviews, is holiday is what you make it, no where is perfect and I feel the negative reviews are far too critical. Would definitely recommend, and thank staff for a lovely holiday!!

Room Tip: All rooms were pretty nice I think, when you arrive you can upgrade your room at a cost, but may be...
6 Thank mich_mcd1
P-Stor, Gerente at Diverhotel Lanzarote, responded to this review, 30 July 2014
Dear Guest,
I appreciate the time taken in writing a review of your holiday experience at our hotel. We will take into consideration your improvement proposals and hope to welcome you again to see the changes.
Our goal is to satisfy our guests as much as possible, and the best way to know how is by means of your comments.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Costa Teguise
3.5 of 5 bubbles 1,229 reviews
Aparthotel Lanzarote Paradise
Aparthotel Lanzarote Paradise
#26 of 38 in Costa Teguise

Been to Diverhotel Lanzarote? Share your experiences!