“Excellent holiday. Peace and relaxation”
Review of KN Matas Blancas

KN Matas Blancas
Ranked #15 of 27 Hotels in Costa Calma
Reviewed 7 October 2012

First of all I would like to say that for the amount of money people spend on their holiday and the fact that most people only get the chance to go away abroad ( if you are very lucky ) maybe once a year I find it unbelievable that a lot don't do their research into a hotel and the area more thoroughly.

Yes this hotel was in a quiet area of Costa Calma, which was a huge bonus for us. The hotel and area around was really really quiet and adults only. Spot on.

We love going to hotels that have a mix of nationalities and I am finding some comments about 'the Germans' absolutely unbelievable. This is 2012 isn't it?

We were on a full board plus, breakfast, lunch and dinner with drinks.
Breakfast was good with a lot of choice, hot food, bacon, beans etc. Pancakes, pastries, cold meat and cheese, cereal, fruit and a variety of drinks ( cava as well ).
There was a machine that you could have fruit juice out of which wasn't great but there was a guy doing fresh fruit juices as well which were lovely. This was our favourite meal out of all 3.
This was taken at the main restaurant which did get very hot and was a bit canteen like as people have said before.

Lunch was also a small buffet eaten in the Pool Bar.
This had a small selection of salads,hot food and fruit and ice cream for desert. The paella that the Chef did was absolutely lovely.

Evening meal ( in the same place that we had breakfast ) was also buffet and there was a huge selection to choose from,. Yes it did get a bit monotonous but who doesn't get fed up of eating 3 meals a day?
It was a bit poor that the dress rules weren't adhered to though.

Staff and service in both places were excellent, especially the pool bar and were always friendly and worked their socks off.

The room was fine and clean and roomy, no probs there. Bathroom had a small bath, overhead shower that you could use to wash hair in the bath instead of being completely fixed to the wall. There was also a hairdryer and a few toiletries ( which were a tad measly ).

The only negative was our cleaner who was pretty awful. We had another cleaner the one day who did a fantastic job.

You can hire pool/beach towels which you leave a deposit with reception and then get back at the end of the holiday. So it's really not worth adding extra weight to your baggage allowance : )

The Pool area was great. Absolute peace and quiet and always alot of sun loungers to use all through the day. There really is no need to 'reserve' them even though some people did.

I can't comment on the entertainment as we tended to sit on the balcony with some wine in the evening, but i think it was very low key and relaxed. There were things like bingo, a Spanish singer etc.
There were 2 very loud British couples that seemed to think it was okay to practically shout over to each other next door on their balconies, so if people complained ( no matter what their nationality was ) then so be it.

There's a courtesy coach to the beach which is good. The beach was lovely and had a snack bar ( we didn't try that though ). After going on that we decided to hire a car for 7 days which i would highly recommend so you get the chance to see the rest of the island and also the other beaches further up. One of which is absolutely stunning, vast with golden sand and warm sea water.

You can hire a car from reception, very quick and efficient.

The shop in the hotel is excellent and owned by a great couple. The prices are extremely reasonable compared to the shops in the area and other hotels that we have stopped at.

Overall this place was ideal for us, we absolutely loved it. Yes there were things that I would have liked to have changed, view from balcony etc, but the positives hugely outweigh the small insignificant negatives.

If you want complete peace and quiet, no reserving of sun beds, excellent staff in an adults only hotel, then I would highly recommend the Hotel Best Age.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
10  Thank srsmith73

Reviewed 2 October 2012

**Long, In depth review - With snapshot**

This holiday was for myself and my girlfriend, we're 34 and 26 and wanted a relaxing beach break.

Firstly, if I could have, I'd have given this hotel 3.5 stars out of 5, but as that's not an option I've rounded down - I'll explain why in this review.

Snapshot:

The hotel is around one and a quarter hours from the airport via coach transfer.
A large beer in the snack bar costs 3 euro. A burger with chips costs around 3,5 euro.
The beach is 10/15 mins walk away.
Nightlife is very, very quiet but not non-existent.
Pool, staff, breakfast, main room area - all excellent.
Bathroom, location, evening meal - in need of improvement.
Hiring a safe is 13 euro for the week. Internet is complimentary in the lobby if you have a laptop/smart phone. 1 PC in reception has slow internet access for 1 euro per 10 mins.
Clientele mostly German.

Ok, that's the snapshot - now the review:

Upon arrival, we were greeted at reception by Sina who is by far the best asset this hotel has. Speaking four languages fluently and with excellent customer service skills, she is a great choice as the first person you meet when you arrive. We checked in and were given room 373. I'd requested a room with a view and this has obviously been taken into consideration - our room overlooked the ocean in the distance and a great landscape overall.

The room was a decent sized double (with two large singles (almost doubles)), with a couple of bedside tables, a large mirror, two wardrobes, air con, a tv and various storage spaces. The bathroom was a bit on the small side and you needed to close the door when you were in the bathroom to be able to walk to the shower. The bathroom was in fact one of the main points which lowered the score for this review - during our 7 day stay our toilet broke and started leaking (repaired quickly) and the shower sprayed water everywhere if you moved the shower head. Additionally, the shower over the bath didn't have any sort of partition or screen, so water ran off you all over the floor everytime you showered.

Other than the bathroom issues, the room was very clean, very spacious and had a lovely balcony which we sat out on most nights before going out (or staying in!).

The other main negative factor was the location of the hotel. It is situated in a residential area on top of a hill. The hill itself isn't a massive issue (I walk up a steeper incline to go to the post office at home!) but the surrounding area is a bit dismal, comprising of wasteland where people take their dogs to the toilet and people doing roadworks. Surprisingly, the same wasteland is used for a market on a Wednesday and Sunday.

The beach is 10/15 mins walk from the hotel and is a lovely sandy beach where the sea is warm enough to swim in. Although the hotel runs a bus to the beach near Hotel Esmerelda, I wouldn't recommend the trip - there's nothing there and the beach is exactly the same. Additionally the buses back only run at 12,1,3:15 and 4. We got stuck waiting for a bus for two hours :(

One tip for the beach is to take some bread with you, wade up to your waist and drop the breadcrumbs into the sea - loads of fish will come and swim around you as you feed them :)

The nearest places to eat and drink are at the bottom of the hill, about 10 mins walk away. Here's a brief summary:

Tapas place on the right as you hit the bottom of the hill: Great food, great service. Reasonable prices. Recommended. The bar next door is also good (beer at 2,5 euros!).

La Jardin pizza and drinks (left at the bottom of the hill and across the road): A lovely, lovely setting for a bar, decent service, decent prices - beware that service is auto-charged at 7% here though.

Pizzeria next to the supermarket (bottom of hill, on right): Great pizza, best I had whilst I was here.

Chicken place next to supermarket: excellent chicken but waiter doesn't speak English, so Spanish or pointing is required. Half a chicken for 6/7 euro with chips. Brilliant. A little dog came and befriended us while we ate - of course, we shared :)

Beach bar: This is on the beach nearest to the hotel, follow the cove round to the right and keep walking. It's called Aureolas Snack Bar. Great service, great food and drinks, lovely view.

You can go further afield for food and Sina will recommend a steak restaurant and tapas place (which sadly we didn't make in the end).

The snack bar in the hotel is decent and reasonably priced. The guy who runs the place is very friendly as is one of the main bartenders who also works in the lounge bar.

In terms of the hotel food, we went B+B and found that the breakfasts were excellent. Loads of choice, everything always hot and well cooked. We ate breakfast in the hotel every day before we set off out.

Unfortunately the evening meal which we tried on one night only was pretty disappointing. As one reviewer has already pointed out, the hotel has a dress code for evening meal dining but this is never enforced which meant loads of people in shorts sat next to people in evening dresses. Additionally, the room for breakfast is the same for dinner, totally unchanged. As such, it was more like a staff canteen than a dining room.

On the evening we ate, the temperature in the room was so hot that people were opening windows and sweat was running down the back of my neck. The food selection consisted of five main choices, of which I had chicken (not as good as the store next to the supermarket) and lamb chops (very little meat on them at all - mostly fat). If you have the choice, I would eat out instead of paying extra for the evening meals. At 14 euro PP, it's overpriced for the quality of the food and the setting in which you eat.

Entertainment in the hotel is good, with mini-golf, table tennis, tennis, squash, pool table, card games, dominos, board games etc. On a night they have guys playing keyboard, or guitar.

Without being xenophobic, the other minor negative for this hotel is that the majority of the guests are German. in fact the majority of the south side of the island is geared towards German tourists and most bars will be showing German football or playing German pop music. I don't have an issue with that, but there is a definite cliq in this hotel with the German population and they seem to go out of their way to ignore anyone who isn't German.

Additionally, on the second night we'd been there, myself and my girlfriend were told to be quiet by a German couple when we were chatting on the balcony at 9pm. On our final night when we were listening to music with another English couple (again on our balcony) at a reasonable level, a different German couple rang reception and complained. I appreciate that people want to relax and have a quiet time, but expecting other people to sit in silence on their holidays seems a bit drastic.

The main pool area of the hotel is lovely and has loads of sun loungers along with bed type sun loungers which are really comfy. The hotel has two swimming pools, one of which is two-tiered. The water temperature is decent and its great for a swim when the temperature is high. Beers and drinks from the snack bar can be taken in plastic glasses anywhere in this area. This part of the hotel is probably the best part and is great for just catching some sun or chilling out around the snack bar/pool. There is also an onsite spa with free jacuzzi and sauna which I thought was excellent.

The hotel has a small shop on site run by a friendly Indian family. Although prices are generally much more expensive than the nearby supermarket, it has everything you need at short notice (including stuff you wouldn't think of, like headphones, usb memory sticks etc!). Where possible, I would recommend stocking up on food at the supermarket and rely on the shop for essentials like bottled water.

Overall, this is a tough hotel to review. Had it been advertised as a 3 star hotel I would have given it at least a four star rating. As it claims to be a four star hotel, I've had to take that into consideration, especially when other four star hotels in the area (we popped into Esmerelda to have a nose) are significantly better quality. Some aspects of the hotel are great (the staff, the pool, the general design and scenery of the grounds, the breakfast and snack bar) but some are definitely in need of review (bathroom, guest etiquette, evening meal).

If you're looking for a relaxing, quiet break where you don't mind a lack of nightlife and you don't mind being looked at like you're in a German zoo, this is a great place to wind down and get some sunshine. You could quite easily stay for a week purely in the hotel grounds with short excursions to the beach and the nearby eateries without running out of options.

If you're looking for something with even mild nightlife or for a base of operations that's near a significant 'centre', I would recommend looking elsewhere. It's a lovely hotel in parts with lovely staff, it's just built in the wrong place!

Hope this helps you decide. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Dave and Nic.

Room Tip: Rooms in the row of 373 have a great view.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
16  Thank Dave_The_Boy
Reviewed 27 September 2012

I would firstly like to state that Iam not someone who usually looks up reviews but when I arrived from my holidays in Fuerteventura I recommended this hotel to some friends of mine , I was shocked to hear that they had read an extremely bad review about this hotel. I think that it is only fair that I give a truthful report on my experience in thanks to the people that made my stay at the Best Age hotel one to remember...

In respect to the whereabouts of this hotel it is true that it is a fair walk from the beach but that it the only negative thing that I can say.

I would like to state to the readers of this page that my experience in the Best Age hotel was very satisfying.

The food we ate from the day that we arrived to the day we left was very nice with a great selection for all nationalitys and ages. The staff were very friendly and helpful. The main chef even gave us some recipes and tips when we complemented him on his traditional spanish dishes!!
We were also pleasently surprised when we were presented with a live cooking show in the little snack bar next to the pools.
I would also like to share that we have been to Valencia ( mainland Spain ) and the chef at Best Age has nothing to envy with his fantastic Paella. The best one we have ever had in all our years coming to Spain!

With this, as ive already mentioned, im not one to write reviews but personally I think I should tell you my experience and opinions in respect to the unfair and untrue statements that have been written on this page.
I also know that my friends will listen to me and will be living the experience in Best Age in december this year as I will also be returning in the years to come. Great holiday, Great experience. they definatly deserve their four stars. Keep up the good work.

4  Thank Joanne s
Reviewed 5 September 2012

Sorry! This is a long review but because there is such a difference of opinion here I will do my best to present what we factually experienced...and we are not terribly difficult to please. I have to state that we got a good deal and it seemed excellent value, but there were shortcuts.

As said here already this is for sure a decent 3 star though it is definitely nowhere near a 4 star. Can you compare this to, say, the, R2 Rio Calma; (http://www.r2hotels.com/en/charmin-hotels-fuerteventura.html), which is a true 4 star in the same resort?

Or the one of the many excellent SHB hotels; http://www.sunrisebeachhotels.com/?idsubcat=51563&idcat=51560&idmap=120&lang=enare)...also a 4 star.

Both are in a totally different league. So it is difficult to review this fairly as a 4 star which is claimed.

The hotel is located away from any kind of life and is in a residential area at the top of the resort. The "centre" is about a good 15 minute walk away. Taxis are easily available and are cheap. The hotel has a frequent free bus to Esmerelda beach is a lovely long, sandy beach. It is really windy here but what can you expect with this being one of the worlds best wind/kite surf areas! The reception staff are excellent. My compliments to Jose on the phone and the Sina and Ilse on the desk. They could not have been more helpful and friendly. Cordial seem to get very good staff as we stayed in another Cordial last year and staff there were also excellent. All over the dining, cleaning and grounds staffs were also all smiling and had a hola for you!

One of the great things about this hotel is the lack of any screaming, loud, shrieking children as they are not allowed. There should be many, many more resorts/hotels for adults alone as excited children playing on holiday and adults looking for peace and quiet do not mix.

Our room was excellent and near to 4 star. There was a nice touch with a bottle of sparkling wine and 2 glasses on arrival. We were on the third floor with a view over the pool and the town itself. It was bright, really clean, fresh and comfortable enough. The beds are not quality beds and neither are the mattresses. This should be looked at. The bathroom was fine but the toiletries were the cheap tear open sachet type which I hate. Towels were good quality.
We found it strange and unusual that the cleaning is only undertaken on 5 days a week. We haven't experienced this before even in a 2 star place.
The safe is an unreasonable 9 euro a week...it should of course be included. I feel it is the hotels responsibility to safe guard their guests property with whatever help they can give. If the safe is already there...then please give it!

There was no iron and reception did not have one either! No iron in the whole hotel?? They told my partner to drop in the dress and it would be ready tomorrow! Eh...but she needs it tonight.

Internet is a ridiculous €6 per hour! I have always said give me free internet and charge for the TV. The Wi-Fi was so, so slow that you actually would only have less than 30 minutes of actual time. So it works out at over €12 per hour! This is the norm in all the hotels and compares with the €1.20 per hour for real high speed we paid in Corralejo.

The pool is spotless as it the surrounding area with lots of loungers. There are also 5 or 6 covered shaded wooden kind of sala. These were welcome as a good place to lie out in comfort to relax and read. You have no issues at all with bed booking or getting a lounger. This is a big plus here. If you wish to change your towel it will cost you €1 each time on top of the €10 deposit. This again is not usual.

The BIG issue we had was the dining room and the food. We were really very surprised to be told the dining room is a recent addition and purpose built from scratch. I find it hard to believe that you could design, build and fit out such a soulless, cold place with no atmosphere whatsoever. The entrance, lay out and the décor beg to be revisited and overhauled. The waiter station and the buffet areas are in the wrong place. It reminded me of a hospital, clinical place or an industrial canteen. No thought has gone into what is a very important part of any vacation...the dining.

The dress code is clearly stated to be long trousers and neat dress. This, to the discredit of the management, was not enforced and each night most diners appeared as if they came straight from the beach or pool. We, and a few other couples took the trouble to dress appropriately, and it was really uncomfortable to be beside so many in swimming trunks, dirty t-shirts and flip flops. I exaggerate not. This would not have been tolerated for a second in any of the other hotels we have stayed in or the others mentioned below. Why is this allowed???

There was no real rush or issue at the buffet but you still got some guests running around and pushing in as if the food was limited. It was mostly a calm affair to serve yourself.

The food, and the wines, were way, way off the mark for a 4 star and on occasion were awful. I have no idea why anyone could possibly say it was "world class". This was a ridiculous remark. I guess it depends what standard you are used to and where you eat. So, I will be a little bit lengthy and be specific later on but let me tell you that we have stayed, in the recent past, in many 4 star hotels in Spain (and elsewhere) and so we can fairly compare the dining and food to the Sol y Mar in Calpe, the Rio Atlántico in Isle Canale and the Cordial in Puerto de Mogan (a sister hotel). All real 4 star hotels with real 4 star dining. The dining rooms were totally different exuding class, style and atmosphere. The food was just excellent in all three and even included (in the different hotels) 5 (!) fresh cooking stations, gambas and fresh paella every night, a selection of soups inc gazpacho, a huge selection of superb tasty salads that changed daily, Serrano ham and wonderful cheeses inc Manchego nightly, a great selection of freshly made and delicious desserts, fresh fruit salad, smoothies, etc, etc. All of course beautifully cooked and presented.

Breakfast was just OK. The breads were good but not oven, crispy fresh as we expected. Horrible croissants that were not croissants at all but bread in the shape of a croissant. There was no real adult cereal like muesli, granola, bran with fruit flakes, wheetabix, etc.. There were sugar puffs and coco pops- both children's cereals! I got tired of asking for proper cereal and so I just went out, bought my own and brought it down each morning. The juices were weak and tasteless, the two fresh ones, usually melon which is not a good choice, had too much sugared water added, the strawberry yoghurt was sweet and horrid, no fresh fruit salad, one toaster for the whole dining room which had to be fed 3 times to properly toast the bread. Some of the fruit presented was not good quality. There was no jam on 7 of the 11 days we had breakfast and the marmalade was in sachets and awful. On 3 mornings I had sour milk and on the third time I went to the chef and told him. He seemed barely interested and offered no apology. This milk made me ill and I was sure it was the milk as another guest told me she was also very ill after taking the same milk the same day as me. She also was testing it before pouring it on cereal/tea. Not acceptable at all.
I never touched the hot selection. The bacon was dreadful as chef had just opened the packet, put the whole thing on the grill and didn't bother to separate the slices. So guess what? Yep. The top 5% was cooked and the other 95% was raw and white. Eggs and pancakes were cooked fresh. Scrambled eggs were as I expected dry and hard because they were there far too long!! Again! Sausages were awful, small and yuk. There were also beans and mushrooms and some other items.

Dinner was not good at all with plenty of problems. It is, as with breakfast, a buffet. The key to a successful buffet is to cook little and cook often. This did not happen and this is down solely to laziness on the part of the kitchen. Food cooked and put out at 19.30 will NOT be presentable or edible at 21.00. Dishes were only replenished when empty.

The salads consisted of 2 chefs salads-changed mainly daily, tomatoes, cucumber, red and green sliced peppers (which I hate), horrid tinned (!) baby corn, lettuce, onions and just asparagus stems...no tips! There was salami and chorizo slices. We were bored after 2 days of this.

The one cooking station cooked fish and meat nightly. Some examples of the cooking station....turkey bone dry and inedible, mutton chops tough as heck and on two nights we had beef ... one night dripping with blood and undercooked and 3 nights later overcooked and bone dry and again inedible. Roast chicken was swimming in a liquid and so was white, and did not taste of roast at all. One good dish was the pork chops in a cream and mushroom sauce...so there is someone in the kitchen who can turn out something half decent?

The fish was the best part of the meals and my partner liked her dishes.

The vegetables were usually frozen or tinned and always overcooked and mushy. The boiled potatoes were barely warm and had an odd stale taste, like having been reheated, with the only good potatoe dish being some excellent fries. The pasta was so overcooked it was mush and totally inedible...way past el dente. There is no excuse for this as it is just plain bad and lazy cooking.

Desserts (all 2 of a choice) were mean, horrible and synthetic packet stuff. The profiteroles had not a hint of chocolate sauce on top as it had dripped to the bottom of the plate. Why was the sauce not served in a separate jug? Ordinary ice cream consisted of 3 flavours. There was also some slices of melon and water melon. The cheese board had 2-3 cheeses of which one was smoked and one had disgusting caraway seeds all through it so we ate neither with the third cheese just OK.

I would gladly pay a hundred more per week per couple and give me better food.
It is clear to me that the management and the chef have a ridiculous catering budget per guest per week and this needs to be lifted urgently. The food is just not up to it. There is absolutely no thought or finesse or proper care in the preparation or presentation of the food. In fact we did attend on 6 nights only and after 2 nights barely ate a thing. We ate down in the lovely Abuela nearby.

As for Costa Calma itself....is not just quiet ...it is dead. There is absolutely nothing like a promenade to walk down with cafes and bars, there is no proper town centre. There are 3-4 small shopping centres with a few shops and a cafe or two. The problem as I see it is that the big hotels were here first and built right on the beach edge thus leaving no room at all for a prom which in my opinion is a planning disaster. I love nothing more in Spain to walk at night along a prom by the sea and stop for a bite or a drink and watch the world go by...preferably overlooking the sea.

We had booked 11 nights but decided to head to Corralejo (the old port) after 8 nights to what we expect in a resort.

Most of the places are both a bar and a restaurant so for what it's worth here is my tuppence worth.

Eating/Bars. Near to the hotel there is a great little bar/restaurant called Abuela. You can go either left or right as you leave and it is about 3-400m down by a small roundabout. They are so friendly, the tapas great and a lovely restaurant serving good food with a lovely waitress.
Nearby at the next roundabout there is a small centre with a local bar and two cafes and a Maxdoop s/m. Tony's cafe is fine and a nice friendly place. The other is called Centre cafe and the waitress was such a dragon we left never to return.
The close by eating/drinking complex El Jardin is a bit of a let down as it is a big soulless place with a pizza place and 2 bars. They have a huge screen for football.
We never tried the pizza place to the side of the main road just south of the main roundabout (near El Jardin) but it was always full. The surf bar/cafe down behind the main shopping centre with a Spar S/M is nice and laid back, calm music, good drinks with friendly staff and an outdoor area.
In the central shopping centre which is called Sotavento, you have the San Borondon which is an authentic Spanish bar with a lovely atmosphere and has excellent live music every night by the owner. It is a nice place to hangout and have a drink. They also serve good food.
Opposite there you have the Avenida (art) complex with a decent bar that seems to do well at night.
There is another shopping centre with a couple of restaurants down at the south end of the resort.
You could also try the bars in the other hotels.

Bakery/Cafe. The German bakery/cafe, Cafeteria Molino, makes really good cakes, pastries and bread. It is the 2nd side street after the Spar S/M complex by the beach. There is a v small cafe by Sotavento.

For fine dining then head straight to Marabu (south off FV-2) and the restaurant there. It is lovely! Good food, great atmosphere and wonderful service. What a pity we only discovered this the night before we left!
The Terazza restaurant was recommended but was told it was not up to much from a girl at our hotel.

10  Thank Harleyclarkey
Reviewed 4 September 2012

We stayed at the Hotel Best Age in July 12, the hotel is about a 10 minute walk from the main center and beach. The hotel itself was very clean and up to gether and peaceful very peaceful in fact, which we found ideal. When we arrived we were given an upgrade to one of the suites. Which we thought was very nice, all the suites have a different theme to them and ours was the Ganges (India) again very clean and maid service 5 times a week, the only thing I would stay about the room was, in the sitting area there was a black 70's style leather style settee and a clothe settee and weren't in tune with the style of the suite. Bit picky I know but other than that a very nice room, we booked direct with Cordial who were running an offer of book b&b and get a free upgrade to half board incl all drinks with meals (a very good deal to). Meals were ok, not the best and by far not the worse. The biggest thing I would stay about this hotel and it really spoiled our week was the air conditioning or lack of it. One of the major things I look at when booking a hotel is air con, it's a must. On out first night out room was really hot, so when I was asked by a staff member at breakfast was everything ok I mentioned about the air con, she replied she would look into it. Got back at the end of the day air con working, great, but that night the room was hot again, so much so I had to sleep outside on the sun lounger. Again at breakfast same thing, only difference here I also went to reception. Big shock, I was told the air con was only put on a few hours a day and was turned off at night. I couldn't believe it, so much so I had to walk away and go back later, at which point I told the girl on reception I would like to make a formal complaint and see the manager. I was told the manager wouldn't be in till Monday and I'd have to wait until then, that was another 2 nights without any air con at night in a very hot room. Saw the manager on the Monday and he agreed to run the air con at night. In conclusion, it's a very nice clean and peaceful hotel as its adults only, but a very big negative for the air con

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank chrssalw
Reviewed 3 September 2012

Had a very relaxing, peaceful 7 nt break here in August.

Very clean, well run hotel, good food, 3 pools, plenty sunbeds and nice, friendly, helpful staff. Don't understand the negative remarks about the food; I thought there was a comprehensive selection to suit most tastes.
The hotel is on an incline, about 15/20 mins walk from the beach, with a courtesy bus service running to and from the far end. I would think the beach hotels would be more expensive.
Not much in the way of night life in the area - which suited me - but did notice a few music bars in the commercial centres.
Got the bus a few times (10 mns walk to bus stop) to Jandia and Morro Jable but hiring a car is best for access to some of the hard to reach beaches.
Adults only hotel - also no large, rowdy groups.
Although aimed at 50+, I would say that it was mostly young couples, with some older couples and quite a number of singles. August? Maybe it's more 50+ in winter? This wasn't a problem though it had been one of my reasons for booking.
Really enjoyed my stay and wished it had been for 2 weeks!

Room Tip: I had a pool view room which I was happy with Suites looked good
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank Ally32
Reviewed 13 August 2012

We booked for one week full board plus at the Best Age Fuerteventura. After reading the reviews about a 'hidden gem' and 'marvellous selection of food' we were expecting this having stayed in many 4/5 star hotels before. The hotel was very dated in some areas even though it said it had been recently been renovated and the windows at the front of the hotel could have done with a clean. If you do decide to stay here I would recommend asking for a suite on the ground floor overlooking the pool, these rooms seem to have been renovated unlike the room we had on the 3rd floor overlooking the tennis court. As the previous review stated there did seem to be a strange smell around the hotel. Rooms are not cleaned on a Wednesday or Sunday.

The hotel is situated at the top of a slope with a 15-20min walk to the beach. However you do have to walk past some wasteland to the right which smells a lot as it is used as a toilet area for the local dogs.

I would say that the breakfast had the most selection of food available. Lunch was very limited in selection- 5 hot trays of food-chips,veg,meat,fish, salad, fruit, icecream. Dinner was an extension of the lunch menu.

We would say that it was more of a 3 star hotel at best and would not stay here again, the hotels along the sea front which where also 4 stars seemed a lot nicer.

On the plus side the staff were very friendly and always willing to help and the pool area was very clean. You can take the free hotel bus to the beach and enjoy a walk along the beach which can take from 1-2hours.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Costa Calma
Barcelo Fuerteventura Thalasso Spa
Occidental Jandia Playa
R2 Rio Calma Hotel & Spa & Conference
Occidental Jandia Royal Level - Adults Only

Been to KN Matas Blancas? Share your experiences!