“Awful”

Ranked #13 of 27 Hotels in Costa Calma
Orpington
“Awful”
Reviewed 13 August 2014

I stayed at this hotel with my friend last week. What a horrendous experience! From wee stained bed sheets to broken air con to the toilet not flushing! To awful views and surroundings! Free beach transfers supplied by hotel but were never on time! Supposed to pick us up at say 3 and didn't turn up until 4/4.30! So we were hanging around at the road side for hours! Didn't even drop us right to the beach so the walk up and down the hills were tiring! Towels hardly changed even though we continuously asked. Dirty sunbeds! A dirty fork was left on one the entire holiday! Food appalling!! Really appalling!!! I never moan and am usually quite satisfied but this was a joke!!! Room key cards would not work so we were constantly backwards and forwards to reception! Lousy computer that was very dated and slow. Kept taking our euros and freezing on each search or page change!! Staff very unhelpful at beginning wouldn't change our room despite the stained sheets! After a whole day bad night of complaining this was not hygienic and threats we would contact our travel advisor we were finally given a decent room even though we were told prior non was available for the whole week! We were also told we were the only people complaining! UNTRUE! We befriended some fellow guests who also were extremely unhappy! And throughout the holiday many more people were complaining. Example rusty bathrooms, stagnant smells, food again. This was possibly the worst holiday I have ever had!! Nothing in area either apart from a zoo which was lovely. No where really to eat or drink. Beach pretty but I wouldn't advice staying in this hotel or location. The next town up morro jable beautiful! It cost us 30 euros there and 30 euros back to travel by taxi here! A lot over the course of a week but we'll worth it. A nice area with nice restaurants. Also the pool at hotel was like ice! Even a fellow employee described it as like an ice yoghurt! Wasn't supplied with water or snacks on arrival even though we had endured a flight delay of 7 hours! Very thirsty but was told shop was now closed! I also asked for a salad sandwich with no egg as allergic I was given egg!!! I did check but after a bite and thorough further checking I noticed there was in fact egg in my sandwich! I was extremely ill throughout that evening !!
I am fuming!!!!!! We did not deserve a holiday this bad ! Nobody does.

• Stayed August 2014
8 Thank Littlelucy123

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 August 2014

I stayed for ten nights on a B&B basis on my own. The breakfast was excellent and omelette made fresh to order. The cooked breakfast was hot and fresh as well. The crepes were beautiful too. The exercise sessions provided by the hotel was good too. The lady spoke different languages with ease and knowledgeable in the sessions that she was delivering. The staff at reception were helpful too. The location I thought was fine but I didn't mind the walk down to the beqch and other places. Definitely kept my fitness levels up. I would not recommend the hotel if the person has mobility issues or does not enjoy walking. I found the place quiet - it is the quietest holiday that I've been on.

• Stayed July 2014
6 Thank Cadburyslass
Blackpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 July 2014

We have just returned from the most amazing experience of any holiday ever! we stayed for 10days at the beginning of July and apart from the wind (which we were aware of and got used to) it was the most perfect break. The hotel and rooms are spotlessly clean, the food was amazing every night and breakfast was fulfilling, the restaurant staff work very hard. There were no queues for anything and best of all no children! Brilliant pools with plenty of sunbeds/shade and loads to do. The best HAS to be Victoria who was in charge of the 'animation'. Every morning we did some sort of stretching/yoga/ pilates/ step aerobics and then a choice between air rifle shooting, table tennis, squash, tennis, petanque,or mini golf. She was very flexible and let us do whatever we chose AND she joined in too! Very enthusiastic and an asset to the team. She made our holiday! In the evening there was bingo, darts 'movie nights', live music and Reinaldo and Rodrigo in the pool/snack bar and lobby bar were friendly and helpful too. This really is one of the best kept secrets of the Canaries and we will be booking again for next year, 2 weeks this time! There is a spa which is awesome, steam room, sauna, jacuzzi and turkish bath with plunge pool and power showers, all free! And Maria who gives the BEST massages for stressed out backs and necks (this is an extra charge). We never felt the need to leave the hotel, despite good intentions to do so and see some of the island.... We had one walk to the beach after dinner once, and it is uphill on the way back but it's not that much of a struggle! The hotel, for me, is in the perfect location away from noise and traffic. Oh, my husband wants to mention the foot fish doctor (extra charge), which he found beneficial for his dry feet!

Room Tip: higher floors have better views, rooms overlooking the pool or tennis courts get the sun daily.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Jennispice
London
Reviewed 13 July 2014

Pleasant hotel, rooms comfortable etc.....but oh..!!! what a rotten location - stuck at the back of beyond of Costa Calma (hardly a bustling metropolis anyway). Without a hire car you are basically stuffed. There is a shuttle service to nearby Esmeralda beach (free taxi) 3 times a day (10.00, 11.00 and 12.00 hrs) but this is badly organised. You book which time you want with the receptionist and are given a small voucher. However when a cab arrives at the entrance whoever first goes up to the taxi gets in and the cab whizzes off and leaves you standing there. Why don't they arrange for the taxi driver to check with the hotel reception who booked first and then call their name to get in the first taxi...it's not as if the reception is busy (the hotel was much less than half full when I was there 8 - 11 July - now I know why).

FOOD - The evening meal was very disappointing.My first night the only hot veg was chips plus spinach in a cream sauce (lots of cold salad - but salad doesn't go with everything). The 2nd night was better as it was "Canarian" theme night and quite a few hot veggies to choose from but there was a dish labelled "chickpea stew" which had shredded chicken or maybe pork - could be a problem if you are a vegetarian). On my 3rd night the hot "veg" was some potato cakes and that was it - no other hot veg choice. Strangely enough at breakfast next morning I spotted some green beans and also cauliflower - who eats that at BREAKFAST..??? Someone please tell the chef or get a new chef. Breakfast was average fare.

STAFF - All very pleasant and helpful.

CLEANING - Fine - no issues there

ATMOSPHERE - Think you will find more atmosphere on the moon. Deadly dull with very little animation. The small bar adjacent to the reception was more or less empty each night and I counted a maximum of ten people there to watch the World Cup Sem-Final (OK maybe it was also being shown live on the t.v.'s in the rooms - but I don't know if that was the case as I have no interest in football anyway).

WILL I RETURN HERE? Sorry but the answer is definitely NO..!!!

Room Tip: Another hotel in another location. Costa Calma is boring and also windy and tends to have more cloud...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank tivvytwice

Travellers are raving about these Costa Calma hotels

Cork, Ireland
Reviewed 10 July 2014

We have been there from 24th of February until 08th of March (13 days).
Two of us(couple) paid euros 748 Half Board-we choose breakfast and evening meal-(supper). There is basically nothing wrong about this hotel, but.. The rating of 4 stars should be slightly better. Food was good but not so much of selection. The light in bathroom was not too bright. My girlfriend was complaining and she is not that much of demanding person. The hotel is pretty far away from beach. If you got no car for whole stay you should get something closer to the beach. Staff is very helpful. It is definitely very good for the money in this location. Costa Calma is one of the best and most expensive in south. Very close to Sotavento and Morro Jable. Whole Island is very windy. If you think that is the problem for you-DO NOT go there. You should choose Lanzarote or Gran Canaria or Tenerife.

Room Tip: Breakfast 07:30-10:00 and dinner 18:00-21:30. Wi-fi is free beside reception, but quality is a reall...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
11 Thank cezary f
Reviewed 1 June 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for a week it is so windy u cant sit by the pool. Up a big hill from the town . Completely dead so if looking for fun not the place to be. Most of the staff were really rude bar one or two. Food is horrible as well.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank M H
UK
Reviewed 10 May 2014

I returned to the Best Age for a week over Easter and had another enjoyable stay.
Good clean hotel, helpful staff, good food, lovely large pools, plenty sunbeds etc. This hotel is really good value for money!
It is a bit of a walk uphill from the beach - but there is a courtesy mini bus. It is also very quiet - which was what I wanted and I didn't go to any of the local bars or restaurants at night.

The beach is lovely and the buses (10 min walk away) take you to Jandia and Morro Jable. (That's as far as I went). I think hiring a car would be advisable for some, to get out and see more of the island. I had a nice pool and sea view room and got the sun on the balcony till early evening. Also enjoyed the spa with sauna, steam room, Jacuzzi and Turkish baths. The hotel wasn't so busy in April, but even in August it was still quiet round the pool and I always got a sunbed!

Good place to chill and I'll be back soon!

Room Tip: Both visits I had pool view which is also sea view
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
Hotel Atlantis Dunapark
Hotel Atlantis Dunapark
#25 of 45 in Corralejo
R2 Rio Calma Hotel & Spa & Conference

Been to KN Matas Blancas? Share your experiences!