“Excellent Hotel chill out and relax”

SBH Costa Calma Palace
Ranked #3 of 27 Hotels in Costa Calma
Man, West Virginia
“Excellent Hotel chill out and relax”
Reviewed 11 October 2012

Fabulous hotel, Great food ,Lovely Staff and fabulous veiws from the hotel room. What more can I add
You enter this hotel on the Fourth floor and look out over the coast , sea and beach.you then look down into the atrium to see a bar, fountains and glass fronted lifts going right up to the top floor , well worth doing just for the veiw.
The rooms all have balconies with full size sunbeds and are glass fronted so you can look out over the sea all have the sun until at least 3.30pm from sunrise
The food is lovely and plenty of it all cooked freshly at different stations on a self serve basis with buffet style salad bars and soups in the evening plus other cooking stations and a sweet buffet every evening.Breakfast is the same with fresh bacon eggs fruit juices cereals everything you can think of plus the added luxury of champagne and orange juice every morning.
Very comfortable rooms with bathrobes given at reception for your use during your stay. Beach towels you pay a deposit of 20e which is refundable at the end of your holiday.The staff were friendly and helpful and even the room maids with their towel art made our stay special.The beach is golden sand that you can safely walk on right down to jandia and watch the wind surfers.I must add though that the further south you go the more nudists you will see didnt bother us but it may bother some people.The hotel is frequented by mainlyGerman people and few English again this didnt bother us as they were very freindly and their English was far better than our German.
A wonderful hotel great staff and lovely food.Clean and welcoming extremely relaxing all I can say is Thank you costa calma Staff for a job well done!!!!

Room Tip: ask for a room on the second or third floor overlooking the pool area the veiws are better and neare...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Helen R

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
N-u-L
Reviewed 9 October 2012

I chose this holiday based on Trip Advisor reviews, I spent hours sifting though many hotels and deciding who I thought to be unreasonable in what knocked a spot off what they were saying; and shouting at the screen for people who had given 5 spots and then said a major disadvantage.

Anyway, I cannot fault this hotel. The food was second to none, for a buffet it has PLENTY of choice (cold stuff, salad, ricey stuff, roast things, fish things, and an italian food table - at least 3 show-cook chefs present each night on separate stands). I have to disagree with the previous reviewer as it was made very clear to us that we have a table in the evening designated throughout our stay at either a first or second sitting (1st is at 6.00, 2nd is at 8). As the vast majority of guests are German, the main languages spoken by staff are spanish and german, however many of the staff members we came across could communicate well enough with us in English to know what drinks we were ordering etc. We were particularly looked after by Vanessa and Elias (and in the snack bar/bar Gabrine was excellent too).

Breakfast is an equally glorious culinary affair. The melon they serve is SO sweet and the honey was beautiful, it tasted different to what we get here. They have cooked breakfast items, cereal, cooked meats, cheeses, diet stuff, gluten free stuff, Pancakes, omlettes...loads.

We arrived at 9pm and were advised by the receptionist (who also spoke excellent English) that we were best legging it straight downstairs for some food while it was hot rather than having a cold platter that they would have put to one side for us. When we returned to complete check in, a different receptionist also spoke very good English sorted out our room keys and safe (the card that opens your room door will be programmed to open the safe, for 2 weeks we were charged €47 - about what we've paid before in other hotels)

I have to admit I was a little disappointed when I heard that we were on the ground floor, as all the reviews on here were saying request a high one when you book (as we did through Thomas Cook), however, it turned out to be better for us. Hubby is frightened of heights, and the lovely glass lifts made him a tad queasy. We weren't over-looked and had a lovely garden area outside our balcony and could see the sea through the trees/bushes. We saw plenty of wildlife in this little garden; a hedgehog, lizards, birds, and of course the resident cats!

Our room was massive. Our air con worked fine - our room had a ceiling fan too which helped for particularly hot days. There is a little fridge in the room that is empty so you can store drinks, and we even had a little ice tray that was kept on top of the main cooling component. We had daily towel art which provided a bit of a giggle. We couldn't bare to dismantle the elephant they made and that remained for the rest of our holiday - when the maid saw it was still in place we were given the normal amount of towels to compensate! It was always thoroughly cleaned and mopped and I often saw cleaners through the hotel buffing up the hallways. It is very well looked after and very clean.

The pool areas were huge, as you head towards the edge of the grounds towards the sea there are even sunloungers on a fake bit of beach on the hotel grounds itself, which was a nice touch. There was a bit of towel reserving going on, but this was not an issue as there were plenty of sunbeds to go around. There is a small children's pool, and 2 large free form ones, one was heated, and one wasn't (or didn't feel like it was!) in the middle of the two pools is a snack bar that serves food 1-3. It's a shame they didn't serve food for longer really, as I would be just ready for lunch about 3, but that's me and my body clock. The food there was reasonably priced and equally beautiful to the evening food. You have swipe card access to the beach, but we never needed to use ours as often the gate was propped open. There are mini showers to get sand off your feet too.

I'm afraid I cannot comment on the spa as we never went in there, I thought we would, but we enjoyed being out doors so much we never felt like we missed out for not going in there.
The hotel has two small shops, one that sells boutique clothes, and one that sells snacks/souvenirs. May I also recommend the local Spar shop which is a short walk to a little mall to the left of the hotel - it's like a deli in there and not like English Spar shops that are like an off-liscence. They have everything - worth not packing shower gel and buying it from there for example

The other wonderful thing about this hotel was how few children there were. If any hotel has a review that its "boring for kids" that makes it excellent in my book. There isn't a kids club, there are no slides in the pools (oooh but there are jacuzzi buttons). In our first week there was a young baby there, and in our second a couple of teens/pre teens. I may sound a misery but I work in an environment where there can be kids that are squealing and not being disciplined by their parents while I try and do my job, and I simply want to get away from it for my holidays.

Costa Calma as a resort is very quiet. I was after somewhere I could sit and "be", read a few books in the sunshine for a couple of weeks. This ticked all the boxes. If you want to do any exploring it would be worth hiring a car. I didn't venture further than 100 feet from the hotel grounds - everything I needed was close by. Really you don't need to leave the Hotel (as I'm a red head, I needed to purchase a higher factor suncream, the max available in the hotel shop is SPF15) they have pretty much thought of everything.

Evening entertainment: was quite a mix! We saw 3 acts, a chinese acrobat act, some sort of juggling/balancing act, and a MJ/J5 act. I didn't care much for the jugglers, I only watched half of it, the other 2 acts were entertaining. I'm particularly picky and I really enjoyed the Michael Jackson Tribute group.

For the second week we were there I caved and bought wifi for our devices. You can only use one device at a time (you are given a usernumber and password specific to you). The receptionists said it was better for heavy users (I am not a businessperson, just an addict, it's a bit sad really) and that local cafe's did offer free wifi if we just needed to check things - they do have computers for €1 for 10 mins too. They were also good enough to check we had made sure we had a decent signal in our room before we bought it, the room itself was a bit pants but we were fine when on our balcony, or by the pool. I wanted apps to play puzzles on, and new books for my kindle etc. we paid €25 for the week and I'd say it was worth it for us.

We definitely want to return to this hotel, the staff do an excellent job, and it is very well run. The German guests were friendly and polite too, often saying good morning to us first thing around the pool, a couple who spoke English helped us to find our room as we arrived. I loved it here and feel completely refreshed for going.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
8 Thank gingerlex
Worthing, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 September 2012

Just arrived back from SBH Costa Calma Palace yesterday after an 11 night stay. Whilst still fresh here is my review that is echoed by my girlfriend.

I decided on staying at the SBH Palace hotel based on firstly the proximity to Sotavento beach which is a mecca for Kite & Windsurfing, and secondly based on the reviews I read on Trip Advisor.

I will start with the positives. Firstly the food here is really top notch. This was the governing factor for staying here, as I think if your staying anywhere for 11 nights, bearing in mind your eating two if not three meals a day, its worth making sure the cuisine is up to scratch. You won’t be disappointed with regards to both the quality and variety. Thumbs up. Secondly is the hotels overall grandeur… Its set over 8 floors and it is very grand, with lots of space, and open glass lifts that allow you to see the pool and sea.

That however is where the positive report stops. Here are a few of the issues that we personally experienced, and ofcourse is not an indication of something that all guests would experience.

1 – We arrived at 9:30 pm in the eve. The aircon in the room wasn’t working, and there was no one available to fix this till the morning. This was dealt with the following morning after a hot

2 – Although upon booking directly via the SBH website I ordered a ‘Double Seaview room’, we had two single beds joined together. Both beds were badly worn and sucken in the middle rather severely. I asked the next morning, and reception advised all rooms had two single beds. I mentioned the mattress’s were shot, and these were replaced, albeit for slightly less worn ones.

3 – On my first day I dropped a pot of yoghurt on our floor just a outside the lifts. Only a tablespoon went on the floor, and was very visible, but it took 5 days before it was cleaned up.

4 – I asked the reception desk on our first day where I could get ice from, as we wanted to enjoy some cold drinks on our balcony. The first day I was given a wine bucket with some ice, and after I bought it back to the reception, I was asked if I could take it back to the bar – now bearing in mind I am the guest, everywhere I have stayed, the person on reception would have done that for me – nevertheless I happily obliged. The third day when I asked for ice, someone on the desk told me they couldn’t get me ice from the bar that was 20 metres away (they same one they had previously been giving me ice), and that I would need to go 4 floors down, and outside to the bar by the pool. Crazy considering all I am after is ice.

5 – On our third night in the restaurant, after placing our room key and cap on the table, we returned to find another couple sitting at the table, and our stuff had been moved onto the waiters clearing station. Upon asking him what was going on, he spoke Spanish. We tried explaining we didn’t understand him, and it was clear he didn’t speak English either. He went and got the manager (head of restaurant). The manager asked if we had a card that reception had given to us… we did. However when checking in what SHOULD happen is that the guest is given their room key along with a card that needs to be taken to dinner everynight, for which on the first night they will be allocated a table number which is where they will sit for the whole holiday. This was not explained to us. In the end, we were sat in a part of the restaurant that wasn’t being used, and behind a partition. We were forgotten by the waiters and had to clear our own plates away. The rest of the time though there were no issues as we were given a specific table to sit at on an evening.

6 – 95% of the guests are german, therefore as far as telly goes, the only English channels are Sky News and BBC World Service. I understand that it is good business for a hotel to cater to the needs of the majority, but it would be good to have a little more choice.

7 – 90% of the staff don’t speak any English. Again I can only assume they are catering for the majority.

So there you have it. I hope this review is helpful to both guests considering staying and to the hotel owners. These are not complaints, but is instead constructive feedback that I hope will improve the service of the hotel. I would still recommend staying there, however bearing in mind it’s a 4 star plus, I would have expected better customer service for the amount of money spent on our stay.

Cheers

AD

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
16 Thank AlwaysTru-reviews
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 August 2012

The hotel is situated on the beautiful sandy beach. Our room on the sixth floor had a stunning see view. The staff were helpful, professional, organised, without being too intrusive. The rooms are clean and spacious. They were cleaned and tidied each day, towels changed. The food was excellent with a great variety of freshly prepared, good quality ingredients. The themed nights were great, especially Spanish, where all Spanish traditional food was on offer. It is mainly half board so the lunch can be bought in the restaurant by the pool. The prices are reasonable and again the food was very good. Breakfast was equally versatile with, I would think, something for everyone. There are no drinks (not even water) served with the evening meal. Those are purchased each evening separately but can be put on the room and paid for at the check out as with meals at the pool restaurant which is useful so you need not carry money when at the pool or beach . There is no free access to wifi, but it it is available at a charge.
All guests were polite, mainly couples. The evening entertainment was in a room, away from the bedrooms so there was no problem with noise - so much so that we did not discover it until the last few days! The piano is played each evening, again, beautifully and not too loudly. The three pools were clean, never too crowded (considering we were there in the school holidays). One of the pools is heated, the other was a tiny children's pool. There are a few tastful features in the pools such as jacuzzi, waterfall and gradual entry from shallow to deeper end. There were never problems with availabilty of sum loungers by the pool, so we could always find some available at any time of the day as we used both pools and the beach.
The wind was very strong every day and the sea water was almost extremely cold. That obviously didn't stop us or any other guests enjoying our stay there, however, we did agree that it was a "challenge". Therefore, the stong wind and cold sea water would be the only reason we would choose another destination for our next holiday.

Room Tip: Sixth and seventh floors seem to have the best sea views.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank CBS441967
Kent
Reviewed 21 July 2012

I have stayed here now 6 times, and I think that speaks for itself as to how wonderful this hotel is!

The food is excellent, large swimming pools (slightly on the cold side), nice location, friendly staff and no yobs in sight!

At dinner, you are escorted to a table which will be yours for the duration of the holiday. You can choose between two meal times, but you must remember to dress accordingly, or you will be asked to leave, which in my opinion is just how it should be. Stops the shorts brigade from wandering in.

Entertainment is fairly good, bearing in mind they are the same acts that do the circuit. It's not Las Vegas, but it's good to sit back and watch something entertaining after a meal, rather than just sitting at the bar. The magic show was better than average and still can't work out how the magician's assistant managed to hover in mid air with just one rod under her head!

Please disregard the review written by dad60enniskillen as he is referring to the Costa Calma BEACH RESORT which is second class compared to this hotel, and is not in the same league. These two hotels are often confused, even Thomas Cook mixed their photos up on their website, which when I wrote and told them, they took off.

If you are staying in Costa Calma, this is the ONLY hotel to stay in. Don't even bother looking at the others. Enjoy!

Room Tip: Always try to get a room opposite the swimming pools 5 floors or above, or you may overlook some par...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
6 Thank Venice1010
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 July 2012

Costa Calma Palace is excellent. Hotel was lovely and beach amazing. Remember to wear long trousers for dinner though.

Room Tip: Rooms in the middle are quieter
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Louise P
nottingham
Reviewed 6 July 2012

My wife and i called in this hotel twice for an evening meal cost 50 euro's
for two'as much as you would like to eat buffet style. Wine separate. the restaurant was very upmarket, on entering you were escorted to your table of choice, the service was perfect, tables cleared immediately,main men were Jaun De Miguel and Noel many thanks.
Sile and Stefan on reception very efficient. Entertainment each night was brilliant staff were quick to serve. the hotel its selve was very impressive, looked to live up to its rating of 4* plus

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
SBH Crystal Beach Hotel & Suites
Melia Gorriones Fuerteventura
Gran Hotel Atlantis Bahia Real
SBH Costa Calma Beach Resort

Been to SBH Costa Calma Palace? Share your experiences!