“Excellent Hotel”

Ranked #4 of 26 Hotels in Costa Calma
Grasby, Lincolnshire, United Kingdom
“Excellent Hotel”
Reviewed 30 January 2013

We have visited Costa Calma many times over many years but this is the first time we have stayed at this hotel. The staff and facilities particularly the food in the restaurant and the spa area were excellent. We felt the bedrooms could do with improved beds & bedding but totally understand this would take time. The reception and lounge areas are very comfortable. Half board was fine, just wish they had complimentary water for meals &/or maybe the hotel group 'could' consider AI as an option. Otherwise we do rate this hotel & will return at some point. Do ask for a sea view room (assuming that is what you have paid for) on a high floor and the reception will do all that they can to acommodate your request. Direct access to the beach is lovely. A bit too cold to try the pool outside but did look lovely. Free wifi would be beneficial, most hotels do offer this facility now and I'm sure that SBH will be considering this option - please.

Room Tip: High floor with sea view, worth paying extra for, hotel reception will help all they can to offer yo...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
6 Thank TreetopsCottages-Spa

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Gulpen, The Netherlands
Reviewed 29 January 2013

This hotel surely has nice features, but we also experienced some issues.
Let's start with the positive remarks.

Each room has a sea view. But not only that, you also get a spacious balcony with two deck chairs. The grounds and swimming pools are nice and the hotel has direct access to the beach. Housekeeping did a good job and kept our room spotless. Breakfast and dinner are excellent. Personnel in the restaurant is good and very friendly. You do have to realize that there are hundreds of people in this hotel having a buffet dinner at the same time. If you want a more intimate setting than you should get a table outside (during our stay we could only sit outside during breakfast).

However we did experience some issues.

We had to pay 7 EUR per day or 25 EUR per week for internet access. This is by all means not cheap especially considering there is no free wifi zone in the hotel so you do not have an other option. Internet was not available in our room, you had to stand on the balcony to get a signal. We asked for a room with a wifi signal, but we could not get one without downgrading even though the hotel was only half full. The connection was of a poor quality. It dropped many times and even after complaining about this four times, the front desk never did send someone over to fix the problem. They finally did offer a refund of two days internet usage, but I didn't accept that. I just wanted proper internet access.

Upon arrival you have to hand over your passport. You can only get it back the next day. This is not friendly and you're even not allowed to do that.
The front desk just didn't do a good job. Two out of three calls to the front desk were unanswered (however when I was talking to the lady at the desk she did interrupt our conversation many times to answer a phone call).

The hotel is wearing down and you do get the idea that they are not doing much about it. The hotel interior is getting dated and in some places walls show cracks and tiles are broken. The exercise equipment in the gym is old and not well taken care of. The bathrobes they gave us were worn down, one of them even had a 10cm hole in the side of it.

One final tip. This is a very windy place. If you want to go for a hike to the hills or the west coast, choose the early hours of the day. At about 11 am the winds start blowing and you will end up getting a free skin peeling from all the sand that is in the air.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
15 Thank Elmer&Lizette
Brno, Czech Republic
Reviewed 18 January 2013

The hotel Costa Calma Palace is one of the best at Fuerteventura, well known for its excelent cousine and great beach right by the hotel. I have visited this hotel in December 2010, so I hope nothing has changes since that time!
Hotel background is magnificent, delicious breakfast is served also on outside terrase with partial view on ocean. Sipping cava (spanish sparkling wine) and looking at the ocean is great start of a day indeed. Also buffet dinners are of extraordinary choice and taste.
Room is comfortable and well furnished.
The beach and the access to the beach is one of best at the island for sure, see my photos. I have seen the whole island, so additionally I very appreciate this particular place and wish to go back while I am writing this review..

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank MeggyBrno
Plymouth
Reviewed 5 November 2012

We chose this hotel after reading lots of reviews on here and the fact that reviewers consistantly mentioned the good food was a winner for us.
The food is lovely and plenty of choice and different every night.
Rooms are very clean and it is definately worth paying extra for a sea view as the balcony's are stunning.
The only minor niggle was that we felt that we had to eat dinner too early due to the 2 meal sittings which we had 6-7:30pm and we usually enjoy choosing our meal times depending on what we have been doing in the day time.
The beach is stunning but the sea very cold so we spent most of the time by the pool which was easier to get into to.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
6 Thank PlymouthGirl
Man, West Virginia
Reviewed 11 October 2012

Fabulous hotel, Great food ,Lovely Staff and fabulous veiws from the hotel room. What more can I add
You enter this hotel on the Fourth floor and look out over the coast , sea and beach.you then look down into the atrium to see a bar, fountains and glass fronted lifts going right up to the top floor , well worth doing just for the veiw.
The rooms all have balconies with full size sunbeds and are glass fronted so you can look out over the sea all have the sun until at least 3.30pm from sunrise
The food is lovely and plenty of it all cooked freshly at different stations on a self serve basis with buffet style salad bars and soups in the evening plus other cooking stations and a sweet buffet every evening.Breakfast is the same with fresh bacon eggs fruit juices cereals everything you can think of plus the added luxury of champagne and orange juice every morning.
Very comfortable rooms with bathrobes given at reception for your use during your stay. Beach towels you pay a deposit of 20e which is refundable at the end of your holiday.The staff were friendly and helpful and even the room maids with their towel art made our stay special.The beach is golden sand that you can safely walk on right down to jandia and watch the wind surfers.I must add though that the further south you go the more nudists you will see didnt bother us but it may bother some people.The hotel is frequented by mainlyGerman people and few English again this didnt bother us as they were very freindly and their English was far better than our German.
A wonderful hotel great staff and lovely food.Clean and welcoming extremely relaxing all I can say is Thank you costa calma Staff for a job well done!!!!

Room Tip: ask for a room on the second or third floor overlooking the pool area the veiws are better and neare...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Helen R
N-u-L
Reviewed 9 October 2012

I chose this holiday based on Trip Advisor reviews, I spent hours sifting though many hotels and deciding who I thought to be unreasonable in what knocked a spot off what they were saying; and shouting at the screen for people who had given 5 spots and then said a major disadvantage.

Anyway, I cannot fault this hotel. The food was second to none, for a buffet it has PLENTY of choice (cold stuff, salad, ricey stuff, roast things, fish things, and an italian food table - at least 3 show-cook chefs present each night on separate stands). I have to disagree with the previous reviewer as it was made very clear to us that we have a table in the evening designated throughout our stay at either a first or second sitting (1st is at 6.00, 2nd is at 8). As the vast majority of guests are German, the main languages spoken by staff are spanish and german, however many of the staff members we came across could communicate well enough with us in English to know what drinks we were ordering etc. We were particularly looked after by Vanessa and Elias (and in the snack bar/bar Gabrine was excellent too).

Breakfast is an equally glorious culinary affair. The melon they serve is SO sweet and the honey was beautiful, it tasted different to what we get here. They have cooked breakfast items, cereal, cooked meats, cheeses, diet stuff, gluten free stuff, Pancakes, omlettes...loads.

We arrived at 9pm and were advised by the receptionist (who also spoke excellent English) that we were best legging it straight downstairs for some food while it was hot rather than having a cold platter that they would have put to one side for us. When we returned to complete check in, a different receptionist also spoke very good English sorted out our room keys and safe (the card that opens your room door will be programmed to open the safe, for 2 weeks we were charged €47 - about what we've paid before in other hotels)

I have to admit I was a little disappointed when I heard that we were on the ground floor, as all the reviews on here were saying request a high one when you book (as we did through Thomas Cook), however, it turned out to be better for us. Hubby is frightened of heights, and the lovely glass lifts made him a tad queasy. We weren't over-looked and had a lovely garden area outside our balcony and could see the sea through the trees/bushes. We saw plenty of wildlife in this little garden; a hedgehog, lizards, birds, and of course the resident cats!

Our room was massive. Our air con worked fine - our room had a ceiling fan too which helped for particularly hot days. There is a little fridge in the room that is empty so you can store drinks, and we even had a little ice tray that was kept on top of the main cooling component. We had daily towel art which provided a bit of a giggle. We couldn't bare to dismantle the elephant they made and that remained for the rest of our holiday - when the maid saw it was still in place we were given the normal amount of towels to compensate! It was always thoroughly cleaned and mopped and I often saw cleaners through the hotel buffing up the hallways. It is very well looked after and very clean.

The pool areas were huge, as you head towards the edge of the grounds towards the sea there are even sunloungers on a fake bit of beach on the hotel grounds itself, which was a nice touch. There was a bit of towel reserving going on, but this was not an issue as there were plenty of sunbeds to go around. There is a small children's pool, and 2 large free form ones, one was heated, and one wasn't (or didn't feel like it was!) in the middle of the two pools is a snack bar that serves food 1-3. It's a shame they didn't serve food for longer really, as I would be just ready for lunch about 3, but that's me and my body clock. The food there was reasonably priced and equally beautiful to the evening food. You have swipe card access to the beach, but we never needed to use ours as often the gate was propped open. There are mini showers to get sand off your feet too.

I'm afraid I cannot comment on the spa as we never went in there, I thought we would, but we enjoyed being out doors so much we never felt like we missed out for not going in there.
The hotel has two small shops, one that sells boutique clothes, and one that sells snacks/souvenirs. May I also recommend the local Spar shop which is a short walk to a little mall to the left of the hotel - it's like a deli in there and not like English Spar shops that are like an off-liscence. They have everything - worth not packing shower gel and buying it from there for example

The other wonderful thing about this hotel was how few children there were. If any hotel has a review that its "boring for kids" that makes it excellent in my book. There isn't a kids club, there are no slides in the pools (oooh but there are jacuzzi buttons). In our first week there was a young baby there, and in our second a couple of teens/pre teens. I may sound a misery but I work in an environment where there can be kids that are squealing and not being disciplined by their parents while I try and do my job, and I simply want to get away from it for my holidays.

Costa Calma as a resort is very quiet. I was after somewhere I could sit and "be", read a few books in the sunshine for a couple of weeks. This ticked all the boxes. If you want to do any exploring it would be worth hiring a car. I didn't venture further than 100 feet from the hotel grounds - everything I needed was close by. Really you don't need to leave the Hotel (as I'm a red head, I needed to purchase a higher factor suncream, the max available in the hotel shop is SPF15) they have pretty much thought of everything.

Evening entertainment: was quite a mix! We saw 3 acts, a chinese acrobat act, some sort of juggling/balancing act, and a MJ/J5 act. I didn't care much for the jugglers, I only watched half of it, the other 2 acts were entertaining. I'm particularly picky and I really enjoyed the Michael Jackson Tribute group.

For the second week we were there I caved and bought wifi for our devices. You can only use one device at a time (you are given a usernumber and password specific to you). The receptionists said it was better for heavy users (I am not a businessperson, just an addict, it's a bit sad really) and that local cafe's did offer free wifi if we just needed to check things - they do have computers for €1 for 10 mins too. They were also good enough to check we had made sure we had a decent signal in our room before we bought it, the room itself was a bit pants but we were fine when on our balcony, or by the pool. I wanted apps to play puzzles on, and new books for my kindle etc. we paid €25 for the week and I'd say it was worth it for us.

We definitely want to return to this hotel, the staff do an excellent job, and it is very well run. The German guests were friendly and polite too, often saying good morning to us first thing around the pool, a couple who spoke English helped us to find our room as we arrived. I loved it here and feel completely refreshed for going.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
8 Thank gingerlex
Worthing, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 September 2012

Just arrived back from SBH Costa Calma Palace yesterday after an 11 night stay. Whilst still fresh here is my review that is echoed by my girlfriend.

I decided on staying at the SBH Palace hotel based on firstly the proximity to Sotavento beach which is a mecca for Kite & Windsurfing, and secondly based on the reviews I read on Trip Advisor.

I will start with the positives. Firstly the food here is really top notch. This was the governing factor for staying here, as I think if your staying anywhere for 11 nights, bearing in mind your eating two if not three meals a day, its worth making sure the cuisine is up to scratch. You won’t be disappointed with regards to both the quality and variety. Thumbs up. Secondly is the hotels overall grandeur… Its set over 8 floors and it is very grand, with lots of space, and open glass lifts that allow you to see the pool and sea.

That however is where the positive report stops. Here are a few of the issues that we personally experienced, and ofcourse is not an indication of something that all guests would experience.

1 – We arrived at 9:30 pm in the eve. The aircon in the room wasn’t working, and there was no one available to fix this till the morning. This was dealt with the following morning after a hot

2 – Although upon booking directly via the SBH website I ordered a ‘Double Seaview room’, we had two single beds joined together. Both beds were badly worn and sucken in the middle rather severely. I asked the next morning, and reception advised all rooms had two single beds. I mentioned the mattress’s were shot, and these were replaced, albeit for slightly less worn ones.

3 – On my first day I dropped a pot of yoghurt on our floor just a outside the lifts. Only a tablespoon went on the floor, and was very visible, but it took 5 days before it was cleaned up.

4 – I asked the reception desk on our first day where I could get ice from, as we wanted to enjoy some cold drinks on our balcony. The first day I was given a wine bucket with some ice, and after I bought it back to the reception, I was asked if I could take it back to the bar – now bearing in mind I am the guest, everywhere I have stayed, the person on reception would have done that for me – nevertheless I happily obliged. The third day when I asked for ice, someone on the desk told me they couldn’t get me ice from the bar that was 20 metres away (they same one they had previously been giving me ice), and that I would need to go 4 floors down, and outside to the bar by the pool. Crazy considering all I am after is ice.

5 – On our third night in the restaurant, after placing our room key and cap on the table, we returned to find another couple sitting at the table, and our stuff had been moved onto the waiters clearing station. Upon asking him what was going on, he spoke Spanish. We tried explaining we didn’t understand him, and it was clear he didn’t speak English either. He went and got the manager (head of restaurant). The manager asked if we had a card that reception had given to us… we did. However when checking in what SHOULD happen is that the guest is given their room key along with a card that needs to be taken to dinner everynight, for which on the first night they will be allocated a table number which is where they will sit for the whole holiday. This was not explained to us. In the end, we were sat in a part of the restaurant that wasn’t being used, and behind a partition. We were forgotten by the waiters and had to clear our own plates away. The rest of the time though there were no issues as we were given a specific table to sit at on an evening.

6 – 95% of the guests are german, therefore as far as telly goes, the only English channels are Sky News and BBC World Service. I understand that it is good business for a hotel to cater to the needs of the majority, but it would be good to have a little more choice.

7 – 90% of the staff don’t speak any English. Again I can only assume they are catering for the majority.

So there you have it. I hope this review is helpful to both guests considering staying and to the hotel owners. These are not complaints, but is instead constructive feedback that I hope will improve the service of the hotel. I would still recommend staying there, however bearing in mind it’s a 4 star plus, I would have expected better customer service for the amount of money spent on our stay.

Cheers

Barcelo Fuerteventura Thalasso Spa
H10 Tindaya Hotel
H10 Tindaya Hotel
#1 of 26 in Costa Calma

Been to SBH Costa Calma Palace? Share your experiences!