I always look at reviews on Tripadvisor before booking a hotel and did the same for the H10 Sentido Playa Esmeralda. We booked and have just returned from 2 weeks there. We were very reassured when we got to Fuerteventura and were told by a representative from our holiday company that we were staying at the best hotel on the island. We arrived late in resort and literally fell into bed - or rather ONTO bed - more later!
Overall the following good points are what we will remember:-
- Staff - very friendly and obliging wherever you go whether it be the Parrot bar, Restaurant or the Pool bar.
- Food, which is buffet style and of a good standard for a large hotel, with show cookery of meat, fish and pasta every night and plenty of choice. The desserts were superb.
- Location which is at the quiet end of Costa Calma next to the sand dunes and over a beautiful beach. This does mean a walk to shops and small bars but this is a good way to walk off the desserts!
- Pool area which is immaculately clean and where you can always find a sunbed even at peak times. Mind you the Germans still reserve their beds and then go off for the day and we reckoned they must have mounted a dawn raid to secure one of the few Balinese beds, as they were always taken. The English are in very small numbers at this hotel.
The bad bits which we will also sadly remember are:-
- Beds which must be THE most uncomfortable we have ever had to suffer. The mattress was like a board and had almost no give in it at all. The result was a lousy night's sleep for the whole holiday, not helped by the fact that the hotel seems to have decided that in the interests of the environment the centralised air conditioning should be turned down every night to "warm", just when you need it to be "cool". We complained about the bed and were told that they were all the same in the hotel so decided - maybe wrongly - that we really had to grin and bear it, rather than pack and unpack to get another room. The air-con was inspected and we were told that it was functioning perfectly.
- Tatty room which had seen better days. The bath had a hole in it that had been mended badly and there was a squashed bug on the wall that was there when we arrived and still there when we left. We christened him "Eric".
- H10 club which wasn't worth the effort of joining. Don't bother emailing the hotel with a room request either because they don't acknowledge your communication and there is no record of it when you arrive at the reception to check in.
This all sounds like a "whinge deluxe" and in a way it is very disappointing that a hotel with such potential fails to live up to expectations. Look at the glorious Lopesan Meloneras at Maspalomas on Gran Canaria and you will see another large multi-national hotel in a spectacular location with the same official grade of 4star, yet it succeeds in making your holiday experience special, comfortable and fulfilling rather than leaving you underwhelmed.
Go down on the beach, enjoy the beautiful sand, the warm and safe sea and the great walk along the shore for miles and the Playa Esmeralda makes a bit more sense. However you still cannot escape the feeling that Sentido's clipboards have been out, costings per client have been done, instructions to smile have been demanded and that you are a commodity rather than a welcome guest. If that comment doesn't please the management then I am sorry - but having stayed in hotels large and small around the world I have come to learn that there is a special ingredient required to make a hotel special - SOUL.
The H10 Sentido Playa Esmeralda is missing that ingredient.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located just a stone's throw away from the sea with excellent views over the fine sandy beaches and azure waters of Costa Calma. We also have a direct acces to the beach. The SENTIDO H10 Sentido Playa Esmeralda has been refurbished by the renowned interior designer Lázaro Rosa-Violán. Its lobby, presided over by an original birdcage-shaped bar, its walls decorated with brightly coloured birds and its redecorated rooms give the whole hotel a distinguished, modern feel. In addition, it offers guests a new Despacio Spa Centre and the delicious cuisine of the Jandía Buffet Restaurant with show cooking. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Jet2Holidays , Lastminute, Booking.com, H10 Hotels, TravelUp, LoveHolidays, Priceline, Hotels.com, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd, Hotel.de and Cancelon so you can book your SENTIDO H10 Playa Esmeralda reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- h10 Playa Esmeralda Resort
- Hotel h10 Playa Esmeralda
- h10 Hotel
- SENTIDO H10 Playa Esmeralda Fuerteventura/Costa Calma, Pajara