“Relaxation, relaxation, relaxation!”

R2 Rio Calma Hotel & Spa & Conference
Ranked #5 of 27 Hotels in Costa Calma
Reviewed 3 December 2011

Just returned from a week in this stunning hotel. The hotel is very spacious with high vaulted ceilings in main reception. The grounds are out of this world with three pools including two infinity pools - one fresh water and one salt water.
Bedrooms are very well appointed, have balconies with sea views. Buffet meals eaten either in dining room or outside screened off part of garden. Food is very plentiful and varied menus. Champagne at breakfast every other day. The only slight criticisms I have of this hotel are that although advertised at a four star superior hotel the service in dining room is not quite that standard as dirty plates were regularly not cleared from tables between courses.Also the evening entertainment was pretty boring. We did however have a great chilled out holiday.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank mariw11
There are newer reviews for R2 Rio Calma Hotel & Spa & Conference

Reviewed 20 November 2011

Stayed there on a Thomas Cook package for a week. It is a large, modern hotel mainly let to German package companies. The ambiance is excellent - large, comfortable rooms and spacious public areas. Buffet breakfast and dinner is varied and plentiful. Food is well prepared and presented with ample staff on hand to advise and clear tables etc. Location not exactly on a beach but is right on the sea with a rocky but swimable foreshore. However the gardens and swimming pool are more than adequate and there is a manufactured beach area approached by a steep path. The only downs were 1) waits at reception for check-in and -out with only a limited number of staff to cope with such a large hotel and 2) the taste of the coffee at breakfast, not to my liking. As well as the buffet dinner there is an à la carte restaurant open Thursday to Sunday but it is not sensational; dining at your own pace in the garden - weather permitting - was a far happier experience. Both of us had birthdays falling during the week we were there and the management provided a complimentary bottle of very drinkable Cava as a surprise to us on each day - a nice touch. Hotel would be OK for people just wanting to 'do nothing' for a week or two and the island is not so big that it could not be used as a base for exploring but there is a limited number of things to see/do.

Room Tip: Try to get 8th floor for there best views. All rooms as far as i could tell offer sea views.
4  Thank LNRBucks
Reviewed 18 November 2011

Just returned after 2 weeks holiday, the hotel is large and very grand looking. Our room was spacious with a sea view and balcony which was perfect. The room was clean with the bedding and towels changed regularly. The food was good, always found something that we liked it was well presented and plentiful.

The bar service was terrible, one night we ordered drinks and after 25 minutes of waiting we gave up and went for dinner without our drinks, this particular night there were least 100 people seated and waiting for drinks and only one barman to serve us, it really was not good at all, at this hotel you have to wait to be served drinks, you cannot go to the bar and order
you are told to take a seat and a waiter will take your order and bring drinks to your table. The management need to sort this BIG problem out because there were many unsatisfied guests who like us gave up in the end. We were amazed that there was no tea/coffe making facilities in the rooms, if you wanted this you had to pay 15 euros to hire a kettle and then buy your tea and coffee etc to enable you tomake a drink in your room, the 15 euros is the weekly charge. The beach towels are proved but you have to pay 10 euros per towel which is refunded at the end of the holiday upon return of the towel, if you wanted to have your towel laundered you have to pay 1 euro towards the cost of washing it.

It is a German hotel and very few english speaking guests so be prepared not to meet other guests who speak your tongue. The waiting staff are not very friendly and do not smile much I put this down to the fact that they are 'run off their feet' , over worked and therefore not much to smile about. Most nights the restuarant was chaotic with queues for tables, again I think not enough waiters to clear tables and relay them for others to use, if you wanted to eat in the outside area be prepared to queue up! I hope they put this right because it did spoil the eating experience, this coupled with the unfriendly waiting staff (the few there are) did not make it a pleasant experience. The swimming pools are lovely, the third of the pools is situated in a private area which has a man made sandy beach, if you choose to use this area you have to pay 5 euros for each sun bed you want to use. The main beach itself is a good walk away and not suitable if you have any walking difficulties, it is a rocky path both up and down hills, its worth going there though if only to see the chipmonks who live of the cliffs, quite something. The beach is also a favourite for those who choose to sun bathe nude, it did not offend us but some may not like it, it was quite amusing really (and I thought I was over weight!)

We hired a car for 3 days which was good and enabled us to get around and see different parts of the Island, some of the roads (or should I say mountain passes!!!) are quite scarey, well they were to me, with sheer drops either sides. We did not have any problems though we were just aware of this. The weather was lovely and sunny, we did have a few cloudy days but it was still very hot, smashing.

We had a lovely holiday but we would probably not return to this hotel mainly because of the poor service and we also felt that being English was not in our favour.

3  Thank paj9225
Reviewed 15 November 2011

We returned from an enjoyable week's stay at Rio Calma a few days ago and found the hotel to be lovely. Our first impressions on arrival were good, the reception staff being very efficient in booking the 10 or so people who had been on the same bus from the airport. We were quickly on the way to our room, which again was very impressive. We were on the seventh floor and the view was exceptional, looking out across the two pools towards the sea. Looking round the hotel grounds after dumping our bags, we were again impressed as the hotel looked to be just what we were hoping for - somewhere to relax away from the stresses and strains of work back home. Thankfully, that proved to be the case and we went on to enjoy a great week. A particular favourite spot for me was down on the private beach and water area. The only gripe we had was with the service in the three bars, which was slow to non-existant. By far the worst was the bar that overlooks the beach and mini-golf course, where the staff looked disinterested and had to be pestered to perform the simplest of tasks, such as bringing the bill after lunch. After two days, we gave up on the place - instead preferring to wander into Costa Calma in search of our lunch. All in all, tho, this did not detract from what was an enjoyable week in feuerteventura. The only warning I would give anyone thinking of booking a stay at the Rio Calma is that the resort, which is 10 mins walk away, has only a couple of bars/restaurants. We usually enjoy a good wander at night between bars but that isn't possible in Costa Calma, which is also a resort that is much more popular with German and French holidaymakers than the England. This didn't bother us as we tend to keep to ourselves on holiday but I realise some people might prefer to hear a few more English voices than can usually be found in Costa Calma.

1  Thank sootystravel
Reviewed 15 October 2011

The hotel was very nice, and the gardens were pleasant to walk round with some very nice fountains and waterfalls. The food was reasonable overall, although the standard varied from fair to very good, but where is the customer service. I do not blame the staff as I do not think they are to blame. The Management need to look at staff morale, I have never been to a hotel where they are so miserable. I hardly ever saw anybody smile and if you asked a question you were either ignored or treated with contempt. An example of this is when I pointed out to the waitress at breakfast that there was no hot water for tea. She pointed to a boiler and said that it was labeled Hot Water so that was where it was. I tried to explain that the water was luke warm. She then turned her back on me , said it was impossible and walked off. There were other instances within the Restaurant and also Reception. We go on holiday 4 to 5 times per year and usually have a problem about who to give extra tips to at the end. For the first time I did not have this problem. Sort out Customer Services and this would be an excellent hotel.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo
4  Thank thegardenerNorwich
Reviewed 10 October 2011

This hotel was lovely; it fully lived up to my expectations. The hotel was laid out beautifully and so were the grounds. The infinity pool was just amazing and the views from our balcony couldn’t be rivalled. The food every night was different and so tasty especially the Chinese night where I ate more than I thought possible (the spring rolls were to die for!) Our room was really really clean and the maid that came in every day was really friendly. I would definitely stay at the hotel again, although I was too sure about the island of Fuerteventura as it is very baron and not very pretty. This doesn’t detract from the hotel itself though. I would definitely recommend to a friend.

Room Tip: We stayed above the restaurant and although I loved the sound of clicking cutlery, some may find the...
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Megan1991
Reviewed 12 September 2011

We booked this hotel through Thomas Cook a twin room for myself and my husband and a single room (supplement paid) for my daughter aged 27. We arrived at about 10.30 in the evening and shown to a "family room" the room for my daughter had a camp bed in it with no covers or side units it looked more like a spare room. We went to the reception and were told that a Manager was not available until the morning. We had no choice but to stay one night and my daughter slept with her feet hanging over the edge of the camp bed and eventually gave up and pushed two chairs together, needless to say she did not have any sleep. The shower in her room was disgusting and filthy and she had to use our one which was not much better. We spoke with the Manager in the morning who was not at all interested in our complaint and did not seem to understand that we had booked two rooms. However he then said that we were only in this room for 3 nights and then we would be moved to two rooms. He admitted the hotel had overbooked. He was extremely rude and patronising to us and did not seem to understand that we had paid for two rooms. He even managed to wave and smile to someone over our heads whilst we were making our complaint. I told him that I was not coming on holiday to spend my time packing and unpacking and was he going to give us a refund for 3 nights as we only had in effect one room and a dirty shower.!!!!! The Manager's idea was to move a double bed into the room but as there was not enough room it would have to go sideways!! Our rep from Thomas Cook was called by ourselves and we demanded to be given another hotel - the reps from Thomas Cook were very good and we were moved to the Faro Jandia in Jandia - what a difference, this is an excellent hotel, with friendly staff and they make you feel welcome and cannot do enough for you. I have travelled for many years and this is the first time I have felt strongly enough to write a review.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
Occidental Jandia Playa
Barcelo Fuerteventura Thalasso Spa
Avanti Hotel Boutique Fuerteventura
VIK Suite Hotel Risco del Gato

Been to R2 Rio Calma Hotel & Spa & Conference? Share your experiences!