“Good.. and bad.” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 26 Hotels in Costa Calma
Knaresborough, United Kingdom
“Good.. and bad.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2013

I should warm you that this is a very, very long review but I feel that I need to tell you my views on this hotel.
So, myself and my boyfriend visited this hotel at the end of January 2013 for a kind of 'joint birthday' splurge. We fancied a nice sunny holiday and this is where we ended up booking for a week long, all-inclusive break.

The hotel itself -
The first thing to point out is that the hotel both outside and in, is gorgeous! Really modern, spacious and clean.
The pool area is pretty and there was never a scramble to get a sun bed, and there were large parasols if required.
We visited the spa on the only cloudy day and we were very impressed. Very chic, very quiet. The pool was lovely and warm and the jacuzzi was nice. We enjoyed the sauna and the steam room, but we couldn't quite work out the purpose of the room with the sun loungers and red lamps?

The hotel itself -
We felt incredibly alienated whilst we stayed at this hotel.
From a pretty much full hotel, I only managed to count 2 other British couples and 1 British family. There may have been a few more but from what I saw, that was it.
Now, I have nothing against foreigners but we did feel like we were pooping on someone else's party all the time! Everyone seemed to know each other and we felt very left out.
We did occasionally speak to the other British couples but we very rarely saw them amongst the sea of Germans and Spanish.
The staff seemed to brush us off because weren't German/Spanish and we felt really quite alone!
However, we were badgered a lot by the pool-side entertainment. My boyfriend really hit it off with the Polish chap but I found them all really irritating, so put my music on and ignored them.
Other than the pool and the spa, there was really not a lot to do and it started to get very boring for us, not having any activities to do, nor having anyone that we could communicate with left us going a little bit mad by the end of the week!

The room -
Our room was I think room 493 (but I cant quite remember) it was on the same floor as the reception. It was really nice, spacious and clean. The beds were huge and comfortable and the air conditioning came in handy.
We booked the sea-view double and this is what we got. We had a nice balcony with 2 seats and a table.
The bathroom was nice and clean and the shower was fabulous.
The wardrobes were huge and there was a mini fridge in the cupboard which came in handy!

The room -
The lighting in the bathroom is appalling for doing makeup! So I was banished to sitting on the cold tiled floor to put my makeup on in the bedroom mirror!
The room was incredibly noisey! The corridors are all open plan so the sound just echoed up from the bar/restaurant. We could also constantly hear toilet flushes and hairdryers running from the other rooms around us. I wanted to move room's on the first night but I ended up just living with it.
But I would suggest, if noise bugs you, defiantly ask to be put on a higher floor!
The biggest negative point that I feel I have to bring up is the lack of English TV channels! The only English channels were CNN News and Sky News. We found that this was appalling from a world renound hotel chain.

The restaurant-
The restaurant was very large, spacious and well set out.
The food had its up's and down's. Its very obviously set up to cater for the Europeans. I ended up eating pasta for the whole week but the Pasta was really nice and was changed every evening by the chefs that were cooking live.
The best thing was the desserts! They were fabulous.
Breakfast was fairly average. The fruit and yogurt was nice and there was a good selection of cereal, but if your wanting a good hearty English Breakfast then you will be very disappointed!

The restaurant-
At breakfast, if your a tea drinker, its very awkward! There is a coffee machine that will dispense your milk with your coffee but if you want tea, you have to go all the way across the restaurant to get a cup of milk, to then go all the way back to get a tea bag. I did this every morning and it was starting to get tiresome!
Another thing that bugged me is the lack of tea spoons! Sometimes they were not laid out on the table, and we couldn't find tea spoons anywhere!
We never ate lunch in the restaurant so we cannot comment on that. We always ate at the pool bar which was very average! The food was very uninspiring and you had to pay extra for a branded ice cream! Rubbish!

Evening dinner in the restaurant was a bit like preparing for a boxing match.
On one occasion, we came down for evening tea and it was very busy in the restaurant so we were struggling to find a free table. We saw one empty table and when we went to sit down, we were rudely snipped at by the German couple on the next table. We couldn't understand what they were saying so then realising we were English they shouted "FULL" at us. We apologised and hastily retreated. Without any other option, we ended up having to sit outside where it was really quite chilly! The German couple then proceeded to glare at us for the entirety of the meal time which I didn't like. I nearly got up and said something.

The buffet area was a bit of a bun fight. I got rather fed up of being barged out of the way and trampled on. It felt a bit like the British were the only ones who knew how to sensibly queue up.

Costa Calma itself:
Is a bit of a one-horse town. We like to be in a quiet area but this was just a bit TOO quiet for our liking. There was a few shops and 2 SPAR grocery shops.
There wasn't really anywhere to go for anything to eat without feeling like we'd come to Germany by mistake.

Also, the island of Fuertuventura is very very windy and we got extremely wind burnt, even after using SPF.

So all in all, I would not return to this hotel, nor this resort. It was a nice relaxing break from reality but we ready to be reunited with the lovely British accent that we were starting to miss!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank JenniferT92

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (156)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2013

We found this hotel to b very enjoyable & great value for money. Bedrooms above average, food good & staff very helpful & attentive. Great amenities in hotel with Wonderful beaches nearby - great for any age.

• Stayed March 2013
5 Thank Janeie
H10_Tindaya, Subdireccion at H10 Tindaya Hotel, responded to this review, 23 April 2013
Dear Janeie,

First at all we want to thank you for your positive reaction on Tripadvisor about our hotel H10 Tindaya.

We are satisfied that you had a good vacation at our hotel H10 Tindaya. We as H10 Tindaya team are trying each time again to improve our services to make an unforgetable stay for our clients.

Our door is always open for you to enter and we hope that we see you again in H10 Tindaya.

Yours Sincerly,

Marc Balañá
Subdirector
Leeds, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2013

Good seafront location. No problems getting sunbeds.Excellent ,efficient, friendly staff. High standards of cleanliness and hygene. Good food selection. Large well appointed rooms with king size beds.
The downsides. Room cold and some days very cold. The evenings were always a let down. The restaurant was very busy in the evening and did resemble a canteen.The only bar available between 6.00pm and 8.30pm was the lobby bar. This was soulless and cold every day.It was like being in an aircraft hanger.People were wearing coats and thick jumpers and scarves in there. The screeching noise of heavy wooden chairs being dragged around was deafening.
Even when the cabaret bar opened at 8.30 it was kids disco and games for an hour and obviously they were running all over the place. We ended going out to a local bar until 9.30 when the cabaret started.

5 Thank ryobipi
H10_Tindaya, Subdirección at H10 Tindaya Hotel, responded to this review, 11 March 2013
Dear ryobipi,

The management of the Hotel H10 Tindaya wants to thank you very much for your review.

Your comments will help us to improve or services.

We hope to see you soon in our Hotel.

Best Regards,
Plymouth, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2013

I had my holiday in H10 Tindaya Hotel last week (16-23 Feb. 2013) and really enjoyed my stay there.
I had a Double Single Use Sea View room with Half Board basis.
The location of the hotel is right on the sea, so if you are looking for a relaxing holiday with lots of beach walks it is really good choice for you. The hotel is nice and all facilities are very convenient. The food was just excellent with great choice of fish, salads, fruits and deserts. All food is very fresh and healthy, and the catering stuff is very attentive.
I was very happy with my room - clean and modern and quiet as it was located on the top floor.
The animation team is excellent, there is always lots of sport and fun activities you can participate.
The reception and all stuff at the hotel is very helpful and attentive.
I really can't find anything to complain and have a very good feelings about my stay there.

Room Tip: Rooms on the top floor are quieter for those who goes to sleep early..
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
4 Thank Elvira C
Dear Elvira C,

The Management and the staff of the H10 Tindaya would like to thank you so much for your nice review.

It's a big pleasure to read an opinion like yours, it help us a lot to keep on working hard to give the best service and the best quality standards.

Looking forward to see you soon,

Best Regards
Klaukkala
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2013

If you are looking for a big **** AI hotel in Jandia and your criteria is:
-- the hotel is located very close to the beach
-- has good service, serves excellent (AI buffet) food
-- well kept, clean, modern
-- don't mind if the restaurant is a little noisy
-- relaxed athmosphere, with a lot of nationalities and ages
This hotel is perfect for you. Don't go there if you're looking for nightlife or quiet restaurants for dining.

We (my wife and myself) just returned from there and we were really happy with the hotel - this is the fourth **** AI facility we have stayed on Fuerteventura and definitely we liked it best.

Some highlights:
-- The food, especially the selection of fish is really good (salmon, peach, tuna, cod, hake, fagonero, sama, blue shark, sardine, herring, macrille...). Also fresh fruit available all the time.
-- Direct access to the beach - only a few steps of stairs from the pool area and you're there.
-- Everything worked. No waiting in queues, no fight of the sun bends, friendly service.

Some things to improve:
-- The inside spa area is really not worth of its price.
-- Hairdresser was on vacations, no haircuts available.
-- Gym is as bad as in most hotels there. Why do they always have more bikes than weights?
-- When it comes to the coctails, they only have two "coctails of the day" available each day.

Room Tip: We had booked a superior double room with sea view and requested a quiet room. Got one on the southe...
4 Thank JariAla
Dear JariandFamily,

Thank you very much for your review about the H10 Tindaya Hotel.

A review like yours it's always welcome, and do not hesitate that we will do our best to improve every day with the advices you gave us.

Once again and hopping to see you soon,

Best Regards
yorkshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2013

We have just returned from a 2 week all inclusive stay in a superior room with full sea view. Normally we always stay half board but because we thought the area around the hotel might be rather quiet we opted for the all inclusive package, and we have absolutely no complaints at all. The room was spacious with lovely views of the hotel pools and grounds to the sea. The food was plentiful with lots of choice always being re filled and extremely well looked after by the chefs.
This hotel is beautifully cared for, the pools and grounds are immaculate, no rubbish of any kind left lying about and although service in the main bar can be a little slow at busy times, the staff are helpful and pleasant. Varying sports/entertainments are available if you want them throughout the day but not intrusive if you don't, and there is some form of evening entertainment as well each night.
The area around the hotel is rather quiet just a couple of bars and restaurants in Costa Calma itsself and one or two nice beach bars. The beaches around the whole area are wonderful and you can wander for miles along them . If you like an all inclusive hotel based holiday then I am quite sure this hotel would be perfect and I would have no hesitation in recommending it.

Room Tip: I emailed the hotel to check the room I had booked had a full sea view as I understand some sea view...
3 Thank bubblesmum
H10_Tindaya, Subdirección at H10 Tindaya Hotel, responded to this review, 9 March 2013
Dear bubblesmum,

Thank you very much for your review about H10 Tindaya.

It's a big pleasure to see that our clients enjoy their holidays and our services!

It would be a big honour to see once again in Fuerteventura!

Looking forward to see you soon,

Best Regards.
Wolfsburg
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2013

after the remarkable vacation in Christmas we decided to come back to fuerteventura just one month later. we come to the south of the island and chose the Tindaya to stay for four days.
the Hotel was far from the airport but if you rent a car it should not be any problem. we took the bus and it costs us 1.5hours.
we have a famlily room which was very big and have a seperate living room. the best for the people travel with kids.the only problem is the sleeping room is on the gang side and was noisy at night.the the food is not perfect but is ok. better chose the half board because the lunch and the food in the pool bar are not so good.
simply to say everything here are not perfect but just live up to the price we paid.

Room Tip: family room is big.with seperat living room and a sleeping couch.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank ShangXY
Dear ShangXY,

Thank you very much for your review about the Hotel H10 Tindaya in Tripadvisor.

It's good to know that you had a nice experience during your holidays.

Do not hesitate that we will study every single comment you made to improve the quality of our services.

Once again, thank you!

Hotel Elba Sara
Hotel Elba Sara
#3 of 23 in Caleta de Fuste
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,458 reviews

Been to H10 Tindaya Hotel? Share your experiences!