“Bottled water not included”

Hotel R2 Pajara Beach
Ranked #7 of 26 Hotels in Costa Calma
Edinburgh
“Bottled water not included”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 December 2013

We stayed at this hotel in December and were pleasantly surprised by how nice it was. We have been to Costa Calma several times for a relaxing break and have always stayed at another hotel at the other end of the beach. Costa Calma is a quiet resort with few restaurants so most people are either self-catering or all-inclusive and the food was fine. Buffet meals with a choice of dining outside or inside the restaurant, smoking was allowed outside. At breakfast you filled your own coffee pot which was great for me and also hot milk was readily available for coffee, my only complaint was lack of pure orange juice, but there were superb oranges instead! With dinner your choice of wine was red, white or Rose and the waiters just brought you a bottle, the white is not recommended! The Rose is quite pleasant. There was a good choice of salad & meats without being 'over the top' so most people will find something to suit them.
The hotel can take a bit of getting used to as the floors number down the way - i.e you come in at reception then go down to most of the rooms!) There are also two sets of lifts so depending on your room number you may have to use a particular lift, but this is no great problem for most people.
Staff are friendly and helpful and although not all speak English they can usually get someone who can. In the main the guests are German though there were French, Italian and Polish there too. The majority of guests are more mature which means the hotel is relatively quiet at night and also the entertainment staff do not bully you into joining pool aerobics etc!
We had a side room which got the sun late afternoon. Room was very clean with a large, comfy bed and the bathroom was also a good size. This is one of the few hotels who actually adhere to their 'environmental policy and really don't change your towels unless you put them in the bath which is good. They also charge to change beach towels and half the money goes to the 'save the loggerhead turtle' campaign so I have no issue with that.
The hotel is above the beach slightly rather than directly on it so you have to walk down but the beach is fantastic for walking and you can go for miles.
All in all a pleasant hotel with good staff, lots of sitting areas, large clean rooms and one I would definitely go back to.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank hutmuir

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Falkirk, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 November 2013

I've just came back from a week stay at the R2 Pajara Beach hotel with my friend and had an enjoyable relaxing week, but there were a few negative points.
1. Location - Costa Calma is quiet, Jandia is not far. I went for a quiet relaxing week away so this suited me fine. I was also aware the area was more catered towards german guests, but I've stayed in Jandia before and this didn't bother me.
2.Hotel - was always nice and tidy, had comfy seating area's in its vast lobby, free wifi in reception and upper lobby bar. Small shop on ground floor selling sweets and juice etc, but very over priced. Would recommend walking into town and going to the Spar. The entertainment team were friendly, we didn't wan't to join in but they always asked and were very polite when we said no, they never hounded us. So can't fault them. the evening entertainment wasn't great, usually musicians which all the older couples got up and danced along to, definitely not for us.
3. Rooms - spacious and clean, little dated but plenty storage room. Balcony overlooking the sea and pool area. Beds were a nightmare, hard matresses and lumpy hard pillows. I asked for a new pillow at reception and had another two sent down exactly the same, big hard clumps of wadding in them. So used a blanket as a pillow and never had a good nights sleep, was awake by 6.30/7am every day with a sore back. Could never have survived them for 2 weeks.
4. Pool - lovely poolside, always kept clean and maintained, beautiful gardens and two large pools which were always clean. Due to our lack of sleep we were always down at the poolside before 9am and managed to get sunbeds no problem. By 10.30/11am they were all gone. I can imagine in peak season it would be a nightmare as there are not enough beds for the size of the hotel. But as I said we never had a problem and enjoyed sitting down in the sunshine relaxing. Pool bar provides drinks as well as a small buffet for breakfast and lunch if you miss the main ones in the dining room
5. Food and Drink- we went all inclusive. The buffet meals in the dining room were ok, more catered to germans but we could always find something to eat. very good selection of salads and fresh bread. In the dining room you can get house wine or soft drinks. Not enough waiting staff so normally we got our own drinks. The bars were a bit of a nightmare, they only had 1 staff member on them usually and they had very little english, ordering drinks was quite difficult. The cocktails were all pre made things and not overly good. After 11pm you had to pay for drinks. My biggest complain was water, when you arrive you get 2 small bottles in your room. thats it. After that you need to go to the dining room or bar and fill a glass with water then fill your bottle as they don't want you filling your bottle directly from the machines. Any other 4 star all inclusive hotel i've stayed in provided you with water daily in your room and I feel for the money we paid this should have been what we got.
6. Guests - as I mentioned, this hotel is catered for Germans mainly. I've stayed at many hotels like this before. mainly Iberostar, and it's never been a problem, as these hotels are usually of a higher standard. But at this hotel they do alienate other guests, the staff have very poor language except german and spanish. I'm not expecting them to be fluent in english but even ordering drinks was difficult. The guests at this hotel I found to be quiet arrogant - we had our sunbeds stolen one day because this couple claimed these were 'their' sunbeds, they sat in the same ones every day, one couple sat at our table at dinner without asking, we had our food and drinks sat on the table while we went away to get other things, came back and they had stolen our table! And at the cues at the bar, due to the lack of staff, they would walk past and stand up at the bar, being served before the rest of us stood waiting. I have never in all the holidays I've been on encountered such rudeness.
Overall I did have a nice holiday, I wanted a week away with my friend to relax on a sunlounger, read some books and enjoy the sunshine, which is what I got. But the beds and pillows ruined it a bit for me and I found getting drinks to be a hassle. I don't think I would come back, as it's not the type of hotel I'm use to. But I'm sure it's suitable for other people.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank MissD8410
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2013

so this is a nice hotel, decent quality with a good variety of food. 4* and recommended with a few reservations below.
The location is okay. Not much around the resort, 40-50 minutes coach transfer from the airport. There are a few places to walk to within a mile or so but nothing particularly great.
However, the beaches are lovely and with miles of beach on your doorstep it's a nice place to visit for a relaxing break.

The staff are very friendly and provide good service but their primary language of tourism is German. On the whole their English skills are a little poorer which is not a problem until you have explain something complicated.
*** Water! As an all inclusive resort the R2 Pajara Beach does NOT provide free bottled water. This is a pain! You have to refill your 2 small complimentary bottles at the bar, not at a provided faucet (which is prohibited for health reasons). Even filling up a kettle was difficult!
***Towels. Beach towels are a €10 deposit, but there were not enough, if you don't get to reception by 9:30-10am they are all gone. As this wasn't explained properly it wasn't until day 3 that we were able to get beach towels.

One additional note. Reception is on floor 3, as you enter the hotel. The top floor is floor 1, and then you descend from the 3rd floor down to floor 4, 5, 6 (bar/restaurant level). This tends to confuse most people!
Late arrivals are provided with a small buffet, but the doors are locked so we had to wangle our way in.
All in all, a nice place. However, we went out of season. I think that considering the number of rooms, that there are not enough beds or much pool-side space.

The spa seems very basic as does the gym (but good enough). There is a decent variety of food and it's of good quality most of the time.
The animation team were great, very friendly, (as usual). The evening entertainments were okay. A Chinese circus act, magic, and some piano/guitar/vocal entertainment. Also some dancing which I didn't attend.

Extras available at reception include wifi in your room, a kettle, the safety deposit box key, cots. Aircon is a standard feature.

Room Tip: a sea view room does not necessarily mean a sun-drenched balcony! Get a pool-view room if you want...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DizMatt
Birkenhead, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 October 2013

I spent two weeks in this hotel with a friend from Sept. 4th to Sept. 18th. Having read a number of revues I have to say that I found the staff mainly friendly and very hard working. We had no trouble finding a sun bed round the pool though obviously if it was left later than ten thirty the best ones would be taken! Beaches in front of and adjacent to the hotel were good and not crowded - while I found walking in both directions easy and there is a stretch which caters for water sports. The catering was among the best I have experienced in an "all-Inclusive" with a good choice of dishes to please most tastes and I found the wine offered freely with no rationing! Entertainment was provided every night with different acts and sometimes ending with a disco.

On the minus side the hotel is very large for my taste (a purely personal thing) and the island itself is really barren with little in the way of vegetation outside of the resorts; very lunar! The resort of Costa Calma has little going on so might not be suitable for younger visitors. A trip "off piste" round the south of the island by jeep proved interesting - very wild and windy in parts!

The end of this holiday was somewhat spoiled for us due to my friend suffering a fall and ending up in hospital with a fractured pelvis. It was all somewhat traumatic and she ended up staying on there for a extra ten days until she was able to be brought back to the U.K.by air ambulance while I travelled back alone! I must say that the reception staff were very helpful in making phone connections for me to the travel company and advising me on where to catch the bus to the hospital to visit my friend; it took one hour twenty minutes to get there! A lesson to make sure you take out good insurance - she had!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Eliane1938
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 October 2013

Just back from a really pleasant two weeks at Pajara Beach, our second time and we have booked again for January. As ever, the food was as good as it can be in an all-inclusive place, the service was friendly and accommodating, the place was spotlessly clean, the entertainment was enthusiastic, typical hotel stuff, the rooms were comfortable and well maintained, the sun bed policy was just a joke...if you want a sunbed you have to be down there by 7.30 am to reserve one....but overall it is still a quiet, relaxed, well ordered, well provisioned really good hotel for a quiet break and one that is difficult to better.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the sea are most picturesque but not necessarily the best in Summer....too hot.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank arnorab
Manchester
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 October 2013

Back today after a weeks stay at Pajara Hotel. We emailed the hotel 2 weeks before arrival requesting a room between levels 1-4 (level 1 being the top floor and level 9 the bottom floor), the hotel acknowledged our request. On arrival we were given a room on the ground floor (level 9), we returned back to reception and asked if any other rooms available as I was not happy being on the ground floor, the receptionist politely gave us another room on level 7. Was confusing to start with due to the layout of the hotel, the reception is on level 3, so we had to get the lift from level 3 to level 6, walk round to another lift and go to level 7, it takes a couple of days to get used to the layout of the hotel.
We had no complaints about the hotel, the food was excellent with plenty of choices which suited me as I am a fussy eater, the waiters come round asking if you would like drinks (I asked for a white wine and he brought me a bottle). The staff in all the bars/restaurant were all courteous and hard working, the bar staff even remembered what we drank. We liked the choice of areas within the hotel, we would go to the cocktail lounge before evening meal, then chill outside for a couple of hours and then go up to the cabaret room to watch the entertainment.
We didn't go around the pool as we prefer the beach and the beaches are stunning, just be prepared that most of the beaches are frequented by nudists but you get used to them. Only one beach bar on the beach which does drinks and food. We made sandwiches in the hotel at breakfast and took them to the beach with us.
As part of the all inclusive you get 2 passes to the Spa. We enjoyed the Spa especially on the last day before we came home as the sauna really cleanses your skin.
Will definitely be returning next year.

Room Tip: We stayed in 1745 which is on the 7th floor (3rd floor to us British), rather that have to get the l...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Carol R
Scotland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2013

2 nights in to our stay here and really disappointed - hotel lovely but absolutely no atmosphere - some staff are lovely but quite a few needs to go on a customer relations course -- hopefully May get better so will finish review at end of holiday - not a patch on h10 or magic life hotels

• Stayed October 2013
H10 Tindaya Hotel
H10 Tindaya Hotel
#1 of 26 in Costa Calma
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,557 reviews

Been to Hotel R2 Pajara Beach? Share your experiences!