“Located at edge of the beach, and perfect for partying but still safe”

Hotel Torre del Mar
Ranked #7 of 35 Hotels in Playa d'en Bossa
San Francisco, California
“Located at edge of the beach, and perfect for partying but still safe”
Reviewed 2 July 2012

We got 2 rooms in this place. One with triple beds and another with double beds. Overall the rooms looked nice and we had an awesome view of the water, but we expected it to look nice since it was one of the nicer hotels in the area. The beds were just ok, seems that most beds in Europe we stayed in were more on the firm side.

They have a nice pool in the complex and a bar right by the pool as well. If you don't want to get dirty in the sea water, then you can stay by the pool... but I suppose you won't get to meet as many people though. If you wander at the Playa d'en Bossa and walk all the way to the edge of that beach, you'll see the different bars and eating places. You can even rent a pedal boat with a slide at the top for you and your friends. There will also be many people that offer you tickets to night clubs with some deal. We've found out that doing could be a scam so it's best to buy it from a reputable store instead.

Based on talking to people there.. seems that the Playa d'en Bossa beach is more for party goers. If you want the really nice looking beaches and maybe a bit quieter, then go to the other areas. You'll also see many tourists in this area that want to have fun and party.

In terms of the hotel, it has a safe (that you have to pay for per day) and they told us to always leave doors/windows closed when we leave because some people bring people they meet and you can't always be sure who could be a thief... we did that since we were paranoid and even got the safe... but all in all, compared to other hotels, this hotel feels safe and helpful. You can also get towels for the beach (blue ones), but you'll need to make sure to return it or else you'll get charged.

Things I didn't like were mainly: being charged for safe (normally it comes with the room in other hotels we stayed in), and the annoyance of having to come back and return the blue towels back instead of leaving it in the room.. perhaps, that's ok since they wanted to make sure they got it back... but just thought I'd mention it if you decide to borrow a towel.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (154)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
New York City, New York
Reviewed 18 June 2012

I thought this hotel was a great value: it was affordable, but still incredibly clean and nice with great amenities. I absolutely loved my terrace where I could look out on the beach and water. The location is also great. Each day I would walk along Playa d'en Bossa and hit up some of the beach bars and restaurants. The pool outside is also a great way to relax. I think the best part of the hotel is it is a little offset from some of the rowdy partying that takes place further along the beach, so it's perfect if you want to get away from some of the activity for a little bit. Still, if you want to party it's just a 5-10 minute walk up the gorgeous beach. Wi Fi throughout the hotel is also a definite plus. I can't wait to come back to Ibiza, and I will definitely keep this hotel in mind when I come back.

Room Tip: Choose a room facing the water. The terrace views are priceless.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank Sarah F
IRELAND
Reviewed 14 June 2012

This hotel is perfectly positioned between Ibiza Town and Playa den Bossa. Staff were very welcoming on check in and this continued throughout our 7 night stay. Hotel is spotlessy clean with quiet areas to relax off reception. The bedrooms are small with 2 single beds pushed together even though we requested a double. Heres the niggle....... the beds are like a rock! I requested a change of mattress which was done immediately but it made no difference. We booked a seaview which was well worth the extra money. In the mini bar all soft drinks were free. A nice touch! The safe was €4 per day to hire and wi fi was free through out the hotel.
Breakfast was usual fare you would expect from a 4 star hotel, however they did not serve pancakes which I love. Everything else was fine. The view from the diningroom was stunning. I cannot comment on the evening meal as we like to eat out in the evening
The pool and garden area were exceptional and there were always plenty of sunbeds available at any time of day. Pool towels were provided by the hotel free of charge.
If I return to Ibiza I would have no hesitation in staying in this hotel again. Well worth a visit

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank noeleen-47
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 June 2012

My husband has been to Ibiza 6 times and I have been twice. Out of all our holidays this hotel was the best. You cannot argue with the location. You are about 10 mins walk to the old town which is lovely (cobbled streets and lovely restaurants),and if you keep walking another 15 minutes to get to the port and another 15 mins then you get to pacha!
The hotel is on the beach and ten mins walk south along the beach you are at bora bora beach, (near Space!)
The taxi ride to San Antonia is only about 10 mins and is about 20 euros.
The rooms are nice but it is a little bit dated. But that didn't bother us as we were hardly in the room.
My only thing was that some of the staff were a little bit rude. You have to make sure that you keep your beach towel coupons and don't loose them or the towels (or let the cleaners take them when they clean your room!) or they will charge you AND they don't tell you but if you have the safe key they charge you too! We found out at the end - but it is only 4 euro a day but still it was the principle!
But otherwise this place is great! Would def go there again.

Room Tip: we had a sea view room - which was lovely!
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank devren
Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 June 2012

Hotel
====
The hotel is rated as a 4 star hotel. Star ratings are based on facilities/services provided by the hotel (has a gym, spa etc.) not on how good the hotel actually is. This is why sometimes 4 star hotels get bad reviews say compared to 2 star ones.

I'm glad to say not only does the Torre del Mar have good facilities but actually is a good hotel!

There is a medium sized pool outside and a largish indoor pool which was heated during my stay there, which was good as the outdoor pool was a tad on the cool side for me! (also the deep end is very deep!)

The hotel is very clean and tidy with no noticeable signs of disrepair and does feel like you are in a quality hotel. The only criticism is that it could do with a "refresh" to make it feel a bit more modern, such as new carpets and maybe a different colour scheme on the paintwork.

The room while not massive was comfortable and had a flat screen TV that got 3 english channels (BBC News, Sky News and CNN). There was also a mini fridge free to use which was stocked with free soft drinks (I was on half board basis). The room also had a safe which I made use of, but you have to pay for that.

Food wise breakfast was as you'd expect but the evening meals where on a fixed menu not a buffet service, this was due to the fact it was the start of the season and so not a huge number of guests. This had the bonus that there where always pool loungers available! The food was decent at any rate.

The hotel also has a gym with equipment that is not only half way decent but actually works! I used the massage service which was nice, but did not use the actual spa, however what I did see of it looked in good repair.

I had a view inland which isn't bad but for an extra few Euros you can get a sea view room, it depends how important that is to you I guess!

Location
=======
The Hotel is at the north end of Playa den Bossa beach and is directly on the front of the small harbour where the Aqua Bus goes to and from (and the "Party Boat").

A 5 minute walk north and you'll end up in Figueretas bay. To reach Ibiza Town its about a further 30 minute walk, depending on how fast you walk, or of course you can take a taxi.

Night life/Activities
==============
As I was there at the beginning of the season it was fairly quiet, in the mid to south part of Playa den Bossa there where some clubs and bars open, which had people in, Ibiza town was of course livelier. If I where to go again (which I just might:) I'd go more in the peak of season, that been said even at the quieter times it is fun and you end up talking to all sorts of people (well I did, if you're not sociable perhaps not ;)

There is also a "Party Boat" which goes from the small harbour next to the hotel. (You'll find ticket sellers along the beach, they'll probably approach you! Prices where 60/70 Euro pp) The party boat consists of around 100-150 fellow tourists getting on a boat with all inclusive drinks and music, 5 mins on a jet ski if you wish (as a passenger) and then it sail off to Formentera where it drops you off on a beach for an hour or so before the trip back.

I'd recommend it as not only is it fun but you get to meet loads of people and have a generally a good laugh! Wear clothes and footwear you don't mind getting wet though ;)

Beaches
=======
Playa den Bossa beach is a decent clean beach with little shops and cafes along its length. Figueretas bay beach is also very nice.
Es Cavallet beach is to the south and is one of the best beaches. A taxi ride is about 12 Euros from Playa den Bossa, I however stupidly walked it and took approximately 2 hours, I'd recommend a taxi or hiring a bike/car as is the midday sun it can be hard going! There is also a bus, the No. 11, however they seemed not to be runing that regular while I was there (perhaps due to the season only starting). This led to me and a couple of spanish people also waiting at the stop near the beach to hitchhike a lift back to Ibiza town as we got sick of waiting!

Also be aware Es Cavallet is the "official" nudist beach so you'll see most people in their birthday suit there (but not all), however you'll see the occasional nudist on the Playa den Bossa beach. To the south end is the "gay" area which I "discovered" by the lack of females and far to many good looking guys (damn them!), and the cafe called "Chipingay" kinda give me the final clue! The north end is where the more mixed groups are and the main carpark plus there is a fairly decent place to eat and drink!

All in all I really enjoyed myself in Ibiza, met lots of interesting people and found my stay in the hotel a pleasant one.

Room Tip: As for a room overlooking the sea, although the rooms looking inland don't have a to bad a view...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
6 Thank TheManOfMystery
Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed 7 June 2012

This One of the excellent property on sea face. You can walk to beach from hotel. Very good pool in the hotel. the size of room is good. You can enjoy in the lobby, The hotel has 4-5 longe for relaxtion. the location of hotel is also very good. Morning Break fast has got verieties both veg and non veg.

Room Tip: Take hot water catle with u
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank pg1975
Caerphilly Wales
Reviewed 5 June 2012

We've been going to Ibiza for over 30 years and needless to say have stayed in a lot of hotels.This has jumped to number one we loved it !! The location is fantastic allowing you to walk into Ibiza town, the views from the hotel are amazing. It's really clean the pool area and gardens are lovely really well kept.I can't fault it apart from the food which in our opinion wasn't great. However having said that we'll go back ASAP we have a hotel booked on the other side of the Island at the end of the month and will try and change it to this one.

Room Tip: Book a sea view if you can
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
#4 of 57 in Santa Eulalia del Rio
Hotel Mare Nostrum
Hotel Mare Nostrum
#18 of 35 in Playa d'en Bossa

Been to Hotel Torre del Mar? Share your experiences!