“Good, quiet base for partying”
Review of Hotel Mare Nostrum

Hotel Mare Nostrum
Ranked #18 of 33 Hotels in Playa d'en Bossa
Camberley, Surrey.
“Good, quiet base for partying”
Reviewed 12 October 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights for closing parties 6-8 October.
On checking in, was told we hadn't booked for 3 people (despite it being a 3-bed room) and had to pay an extra €40 - even though my booking confirmation from hotels.com clearly stated 3 people! The receptionist did however say his boss would sort it out the following day.
We paid the extra, and sure enough, the following day, this was refunded. Very strange, but all in all, was dealt with amicably.

Pool is, as others mentioned, big. Didn't spend too much time here thanks to the weather.

Hotel is probably a 10 minute walk from Jet / Bora Bora
Spa directly opposite to purchase pre-drinks.

Food in restaurant was pretty dire. I guess they weren't even trying any more since it was end of season.
Restaurant staff were very unfriendly as well - the only unfriendly staff we encountered.

Hotel has a gym, which was surprising for ibiza!
Didn't get a chance to use it however.

Hotel on the whole was fairly quiet, compared to other hotels I've stayed in (Jet Apts for example)
Not as much aeroplane noise, as it's just a bit further away from the landing strip

All in all, was a good hotel for what we needed.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
845AGomez, Director General at Hotel Mare Nostrum, responded to this review, 23 April 2015
Dear Dvision13,

First and foremost we would like to thank you for your visit to our Mare Nostrum Hotel and for the time you spent to share your personal impressions on your stay on Trip Advisor.

We were very happy to read your review and to know you had un comfortable stay with us and that you were so satisfied with our service. In our mind is always the desire to serve to our maximum possibilities our customers.

The team and I hope we have the pleasure to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near September.

Best regards,

Antonio Gómez
Director
Hotel Mare Nostrum.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
west midlands
Reviewed 7 October 2013 via mobile

Staff were really nice, the guys on reception helped us with whatever we needed, and the younger guys advised us in best nights to go to clubs.

Food is basic, we just ate there because it was convenient and we were always around at dinner and lunch times. It's not great but when your paying so little, what do you expect.

All inclusive drinks were pretty good,generous measures. Cocktails a bit iffy, but not bad for free. Beer was alright but served in small cups. Drinks were spot on for drinking before heading out later on after it finishes at 11.

Pool real nice, no trouble at that time if year getting sun loungers.

Wifi, a bit annoying. But why do you want to be stuck to your gadgets all holiday?

Location is brilliant, 10mins bora bora beach,strip and 1ins taxi to big clubs.
Amnesia being our favourite.

Rooms were alright, slept and got ready in there with the odd afternoon nap.

We were two mates going to the island to go out and do the clubs, and most people there were mid twenties doing the same.

If that's what you want to do, you could do a lot worse.

Mucho Bueno

Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank macneilrider6270
Kochi (Cochin), India
Reviewed 7 October 2013

We were a family of four from India and we had read the Trip Advisor reviews for this Hostal before we had booked here. We had booked one room with four beds and though the location was excellent, we were a little taken aback when we saw the size of the room.It definately looked cramped since our children were young adults and with our respective baggages there was no plce to move! The reception was very sympathetic to our problem and though they were not able to find a solution that day, they helped us out two days later by giving us two rooms of the same size with very little increase in the tariff, which certainly made our stay very comfotable. The breakfast was adequate, though we did mis our eggs and Mueseli in other places. I must make a special mention of Micky at the reception who was ever so helpful and took a lot of trouble to help us find various routes we wanted to visit a couple of places outside Barcelona. The other people at the reception too were very friendly and helpful. Mr Mohammad Taufiq who was in charge of breakfast was also very courteous and helpful. Our stay was very pleasant as a result of their combined goodwill and Courtesy. We would certainly like to come back here soon.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Manchester
Reviewed 5 October 2013

I was expecting the worst when we arrived at this hotel based on previous reviews and the price we paid, but was pleasantly surprised. The hotel was really clean throughout, the room itself was spotless (although the bathroom was a bit dated) but overall it felt quite comfortable. The pool was really nice, and there were plenty of sun-loungers (can't comment during peak season though). The location was also great - a 2 minute walk to the beach, 10 minute walk into the centre of Playa D'en Bossa and an easy 20 minute walk into Ibiza town.

I have to say though, the food was pretty terrible. I wasn't expecting a lot and to be honest it was a bit worse than I thought. It's functional food - if you just want to line your stomach before a night out you'll be fine, and this is probably what most people going to Playa D'en Bossa want anyway. But if you want to actually enjoy the food then it's probably not the place for you unless you're a big fan of soggy cold chips and indeterminate 'meat'. For two days I lived off the pasta and bread rolls, but the rest was pretty awful - everything just tasted a bit wrong, even the chips (how do you get chips wrong?!). We were all inclusive for 4 nights but ended up eating out 2 nights because we couldn't bear eating in the buffet for another night.

The all inclusive drinks were LETHAL - spirits are poured in what I'd call a good triple measure which was great but you need to take it easy on them (learned that lesson the first night!). The beer was Estrella which was good. I very much doubted the mixers were branded as described though - definite rola cola in my opinion, but with 50% of my drink being rum I could barely tell. Oh, and the wine was rank.

I don't know why people complained so much about the staff in some reviews, I thought they were all fine. To be honest things like that don't make or break my holiday anyway.

The walls really are paper thin as per a lot of the reviews. Ear plugs are a must - we were lucky we only had one night where the group of guys next door were staying in for a party ALL night - I wear ear plugs anyway so was fine, but my partner was awake all night.

So basically for a budget hotel I thought it was good, as long as you don't expect great things from the food. If you're planning on going out most nights and chilling by the pool in the day time - you could do a lot worse.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Heather S
New York City, New York
Reviewed 3 October 2013

my stay here was horrible but then again I did not like the Ibiza scene, it was just not classy to me and the stay at this hotel made it worse. stay here if you are a partyer. but if you are a couple, or a family....i recommend that you do not. the beds were so uncomfortable...i could feel the springs of the bed and they dug into my ribs all night...it was the worst...i would rotate and the same thing would happen. additionally....the walls are PAPER thin. i could clearly hear what the next door person was saying in the next room while i was showering. we couldn't sleep all night because of the noise in the next room....and we had to complain for them to tell our neighbors to be quiet. we could get waken at a ridiculous time when ppl got home because of the noise.

i personally thought the breakfast was OK. nothing special....and can't even eat that much in the morning anyways for a buffet style breakfast. everything is oily and salty anyways.

the only good thing about this hotel is the pool area. its big, has a waterfall. and the bar is located next to it. also the beach is a block away which was conveient.

wifi you have to pay for and its only located in the lobby.....being in a foreign country w no wifi service sucks because you cant look up anything.

i feel as if i had stayed in a nicer hotel and spent more $, my experience would be way better. all i wanted to do while i was here was go home.

Room Tip: they should really consider putting party ppl on one side of the hotel and putting couples and famil...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Samantha P

Travellers are raving about these Playa d'en Bossa hotels

Perth, Australia
Reviewed 3 October 2013

Totally recommend this hotel. I have spent 4 days at Mare Nostrum and everything has been great.
Staff is very kind and helpful, from the first day I had a nice welcome and they helped me plan my visit to make the most of the island in 4 days.
Restaurant is nice, clean, good food variety and the staff is very friendly.
Our room was comfortable and it was cleaned every day.
Pool area was very fun and relaxing with a good bar service.
The hotel is also a short walking distance to the pubs and discos in Playa dem Bossa.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 October 2013

This was my 6th time in Ibiza and first time I have booked all inclusive as I tend to stay away from the usual awful food and drink it comes with.

I was extremely surprised that this hotel was a 2 star and feel it deserves more! Staff were all amazing from the reception through to bar staff, service was quick and food was perfect and catered for all tastes.

Our friend unfortunately had an accident and the cleaner and hotel life guard were great. The reps there always tried getting everyone involved with the games and were friendly. It was actually nice to see all spanish staff instead of english for a change.

Rooms can be cleaned everyday if you wish, and the communal areas are constantly being cleaned 24/7!

The only thing I would fault is that the walls are extremely thin, you can hear next doors conversation so take earplugs.. then again who sleeps in Ibiza!

Loved it, would definately stay again without question!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends