“Better that the Carribbean.”

Grand Palladium Palace Ibiza Resort & Spa
Ranked #2 of 33 Hotels in Playa d'en Bossa
Midlands UK
“Better that the Carribbean.”
Reviewed 1 December 2011

The short version of the review.

Excellent food and drink. With pools that are excellent. With staff that are excellent. Entertainment that is in all respects excellent. An Animacion Crew that, if you join in, will make the holiday – excellent.

Now you have to guess what I thought of the holiday overall, (doesn’t take much of a guess though).

The longer version

After the holiday that we had in the spring in another Palladium Spa Resort, in the Dominican Republic (review on this site) to say that I was nervous about what we would find at the Grand Palladium Resort, Playa Den Bossa in Ibiza would be an understatement.

The sigh of relief must have been heard from some distance, when within a few minutes of arriving both my wife and I realised that it was the opposite of the Caribbean hotel.

The staff smiled, were helpful, efficient and courteous at the check in. Signing in took only a few minutes not three quarters of an hour. The porter that showed us to our rooms gave us a commentary on what was where on the walk to the room, explained the TV and the Safe and was gone, no chance for me to tip him, he was off.

The room was a good size and well maintained as was the bathroom. The view, from the adequately sized balcony, was out over the family pool to the accommodation block on the other side. Easily far enough away that privacy was not a concern.

We changed and strolled to the second, what we thought of as the adults, pool bar for a drink and were greeted with smiles and excellent service of great drinks. International brands, not limited to local stuff. The pool had sun loungers and an array of day beds. We saw the linen changed on the day beds every morning and some of them were available after 10:00 most mornings. The pool side sun beds were plentiful and had fixed parasols evenly spaced to give shade for those that wanted it. When I asked I was told that the hotel was quite full, confirmed by friends that could not get accommodation for the period that we were there, but still there were empty sun beds, by the pool in the afternoons.

The beach was no more than a stroll around the protected wild life area away. In getting there we passed the beach bar and restaurant and made a brief stop there quite often too. Good food, more plain and with a little less choice than the main restaurant, but fitting the location well with a full range of soft and alcoholic drinks.

The main restaurant was spacious and air conditioned. The food was buffet style in the main, but with 3 or 4 stations where food was prepared to order, for most meals. The range of food was excellent and the quality was equally good. Along with acceptable, free, house wines there was a very good wine list at surprisingly good prices.

The entertainment through the day fitted me excellently. Lots of things to do through the day, lead by an Animacion Team that worked as hard as any I have seen, anywhere. The way they interacted with the guests was superb, there to push a little to join in, but knowing when to move on. Even my wife, a confirmed sun lounger joined in at times, they were that good, (no one had ever managed to do that previously, especially me).

The evenings had three areas where there was entertainment, starting with the Kids Disco outside the main lounge area, earlier in the evening. This was followed by a live act, at about 9 most nights, in the lounge with more entertainment following on from the Kids at about the same time.

At 10 there was a stage show in the Circus Tent. Some external acts, but the more entertaining were those that the Animacion Team put on. Every one of these was excellent, without exception. The energy shown throughout the day, morning till night, is stupendous.

I realise that to many these people are the public face of the hotel. All I can say is that they are excellent ambassadors if they are.

Overall they epitomised the whole staff for all of our 14 day stay. Excellent in all respects. Nothing spared to make the stay memorable and professional and caring at all times. Knocks spots off the Caribbean hotels from this chain.

Recommended, but definitely not in early September next year, we will be going back then and don’t want to be crowded out.

Room Tip: For a walk in the evening, take a bus past the superclubs and then it's great. Wathc out for th...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
27 Thank Occo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (386)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed 11 November 2011

Overall, a very good experience. The all inclusive package was amazing. the bar was open from 9pm to 1am with all possible cocktails and drinks. I am a vegetarian so food was an issue. there were choices but unfortunately all the three days we dined there, the choices were the exact same. So on the third day we chose to eat our lunch and dinner outside.

Rooms are neat and clean. Beach next to the hotel is very good too.
Overall the atmosphere in the hotel was great. Recommend it!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
5 Thank Varun C
Scunthorpe, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 October 2011

Upon walking in to the hotel I was immediately in awe. The place is immaculately clean and the staff are the most friendly people i've come across. the only down side was that the might time entertainment for the adults wasn't very good but my friend and I didn't care as we just sat in the bar being served cocktails all night! It's the first all inclusive I've been too where all the drinks were included and the spirits were brand names also.
The food was great especially the themed restaurants we went to both tex-mex and mediteranean and the food there was delightful.
The rooms were nicely decorated and very clean with a good sized balcony.
there are two massive pools either side of the complex and both were easy to get a sunbed around.
I was slightly worried about the proximity to the airport as I thought the planes would disturb us but they didn't keep us awake at night or anything and obviously with it being so close the transfer time was only 10 minutes which was great.
my overall opinion of this hotel is that it is amazing and I would recommend it to anybody and may even visit again in the future!

Room Tip: the only about our room was that there were lots of palm trees all over the place and they obscured...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
7 Thank sammidoodle
Derbyshire
Reviewed 31 October 2011

We were allocated this hotel by Thompson after the hotel we had booked closed early for the season. The reports looked good and so we decided to accept. Check in was efficient and a bellboy showed us to the room. The room was very clean. The television was a flat screen, but did not cater for the British, we could only get Sky news and BBC news channels. The fridge had two small bottles of water, replenished occasionally, but the bar had a plentiful supply for collection by guests. The bed was very large, and very very hard to the point of being uncomfortable.
Aeroplanes came low overhead quite frequently from the very close Ibiza airport.
Pools were clean, and despite there only being a few people around the pool (late season), a lifeguard was always there.
Food was very good, bacon, sausage, mushrooms, several types of egg, etc etc and all of the usual continental food for breakfast, and lots of selection for lunch and evening meal.
Beach bar food was a bit limited.
Red house wine was poor, white wine mediocre. Beer (lager) was quite good. International brands of spirits available on request. Cocktails premixed.
Sea was nice and clear, beach is public, and could be cleaner, dogs were frequent visitors with their owners.
About 20 minutes walk into Playa d'en Bossa and an hours walk into Ibiza town.
Bar staff very good, waitresses in the restaurant like to talk to each other a lot, and don't seem in any hurry to bring coffee, or pp
please customers: we were never offered a refill of coffee.
The theme restaurants (Tex mex and mediteranean) were good, and the steak was excellent.

7 Thank PernicketyDerbyshire
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 October 2011

I Will break down the different aspects of the holiday:

Hotel:
Very smart deserves a 4*. Our last day was slightly odd as they had a conference at the hotel, so felt a bit like an inner city hotel.

All-Inclusive Drinks:
Briiliant, best we've stayed at,first time every drink I have requested has been included in the all-inclusive! Even tequila! No watered down, paintstripper like gin in sight

Food:
Good, but gutted we didn't try out the mexican speciality restaurant earlier than the last night, as that was really tasty! All the buffet food was reasonable too!

Room:
Shame we weren't in a room overlooking the pool, but the actual decor and bathroom were very nice.

Sunbeds:
We went first week of October and had no trouble getting a sunbed every day!

Location:
End of runway, so lots of flights coming in overhead, I was a bit worried about this before going, but you weren't disturbed in the rooms and it was quite cool watching the planes come in.

Entertainment:
Only thing that let down the resort was the evening entertainment - possibly we have become spoilt as our two previous holidays were on cruise ships where entertainment is spectacular.

All in all a good week, would recommend!

6 Thank icklemonster
Farnham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 October 2011

Having tried quite a few all inclusive hotels around the med., this was the first one which really included everything - OK not the sunbeds down on the beach, but I understand the town insists these are paid for which then pays for the cleaning of the beach. Everything else, including water - in silly small bottles - through to tea-making equipment in the rooms, and all well known brands of drinks (not just their version of them) were included.

So, how did we enjoy our holiday? If you want a totally full review then see the one by mjb57 on 7th October - there isn't much else I can add - except that the rather heavy steamer sunbed proved heavier than expected, I tripped over trying to move it and broke two bones in my foot! All credit to the hotel, the lifeguard got ice within minutes, they called a doctor when I realised I needed one, and after a hospital visit gave me a wheelchair for the rest of my holiday, and spoilt me rotten!

If you are disabled, then this hotel is really the best place to be. We already had a ground floor room, but everything was on a level, with no steps anywhere, even the beach cafe has ramps and is easily accessible, and the staff were really helpful. One way to get an enforced rest - and we were lucky to have superb weather!

I think it is the first place we have been to without a spot of litter anywhere - rather ususual but much appreciated - you could have eaten your dinner off the floors, and everything was well maintained, no cracked tiles or paving either!

My only critisism is that somehow it was slightly soulless - or didn't quite know what style it should be. First impressions of the reception are excellent - space with huge woven settees with masses of white pillows, but then the bar is crowded with small low cream chairs and stools. The huge restaurant really needs splitting up into areas - just different colours would do it - and you queue for the the main meal area rather like an office canteen. As a vegetarian, it would be nice to have all veggie dishes together, rather than have to walk - or in my case having my husband walk - down a long line to see what would be suitable before going back for the selected items.

The pool bar outside again had no style and could have been much prettier - maybe with a pergola covered with some plants? Perhaps it was because it was the end of the seaon, but all the geraniums were giving up despite being watered.

Still, these were minor items, and we would go back again.

4 Thank janetarm
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 October 2011

Having spent ages trawling the internet and travel brochures for a family break, we finally decided on this hotel. Travelling with a 3 year old who hadn't flown before we wanted a short flight and transfer to our hotel so this was perfect. I hadn't realised just how close this hotel is to the airport, but this didn't bother us and watching the planes land and take off was fascinating. We were greeted by friendly hotel staff and shown to our rooms which were lovely. We couldn't fault the food and although the choice was a little more limited in the beach restaurant we loved going there for lunch. There are plenty of activities if you want them even though we went in mid October. We played tennis, pool and table tennis, the swimming pools are great albeit a little on the cool side, and the beach is only a short stroll away. The staff are always happy to help, and our daughter loved the mini disco in the evening. There are shows and entertainment or you could just sit and enjoy a leisurely drink. I really could not fault this place, it was everything we expected and more.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
#4 of 33 in Playa d'en Bossa
Hotel Torre del Mar
Hotel Torre del Mar
#6 of 33 in Playa d'en Bossa

Been to Grand Palladium Palace Ibiza Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!